Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname (4344 Views)

How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? / Nigerian Man In US Cooks For His Wife And Children (Photos) / Maternity Photoshoot Of Pregnant Woman, With Her Husband And Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by adecr7: 1:32pm On Sep 01, 2016
Hello,
I am having tough time deciding whether my wife and children adopt my surname or first name. I know it's all about personal preferences but I want to be sure I'm not making a mistake. I have brothers whose wife bears our surname but personally I feel more comfortable and a better sense of self worth letting my wife bear my name instead. It's like I'm giving my family my identity. Please what do you advise. Thank you.
Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by Dyt(f): 1:39pm On Sep 01, 2016
Its not a bad idea

Will my liking it make you go with that choice?
Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by thorpido(m): 2:06pm On Sep 01, 2016
Do you have a problem with your father/father's last name?
Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by NL1960: 2:11pm On Sep 01, 2016
adecr7:
Hello,
I am having tough time deciding whether my wife and children adopt my surname or first name. I know it's all about personal preferences but I want to be sure I'm not making a mistake. I have brothers whose wife bears our surname but personally I feel more comfortable and a better sense of self worth letting my wife bear my name instead. It's like I'm giving my family my identity. Please what do you advise. Thank you.

Your wife can bear the surname you are bearing while your children can bear your own name. It is better that way. For example if your name is 'adecr7' and your surname is 'xyz', it means you are 'adecr7 xyz' and if your wife name is 'abc', then her combined name will then be 'abc xyz' while your children can be 'adecr1 adecr7', 'adecr2 adecr7' etc.

4 Likes

Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 01, 2016
They should bear your name, she is getting married to you, not your ancestors. It would also give you a sense of selfworth... that feeling looking at your kids birth-certificate and seeing your name.

Why should I bear some name that even my husband didn't see the person? undecided
Give your own name an opportunity to thrive... except your surname is Dangote sha. grin

3 Likes

Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by byvan03: 3:28pm On Sep 01, 2016
I prefer the continuity, I rather keep the ancestral name once the meaning isn't bad.

3 Likes

Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 01, 2016
Anything which strokes your ego, or gives it a lift.
Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by eyinjuege: 7:30pm On Sep 01, 2016
I wonder how it would look when you, your wife and your kids all bear different names on your international passports.
What of their birth certificates?
Even when your wife wants to do a change of name, she's married to Mr Xyz(your surname), but she's bearing Mrs Abc (your first name) .
Her marriage certificate will bear married to Mr Xyz, but yet she wants to change her name to Abc. Why should anyone want to change that name for her as it can't be changed on the basis of marriage- her husband is Mr Xyz.
Think deeply about it sha , unless you decide to change your forename to your surname, then everyone can bear the same surname.
Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by DonBobes(m): 7:08am On Sep 02, 2016
PaperLace:
They should bear your name, she is getting married to you, not your ancestors. It would also give you a sense of selfworth... that feeling looking at your kids birth-certificate and seeing your name.

Why should I bear some name that even my husband didn't see the person? undecided
Give your own name an opportunity to thrive... except your surname is Dangote sha. grin
I bet if u knew my surname u wuld want to mak it ur last name grin
Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by Aladeintl: 11:59am On Mar 08, 2018
Why not compound names for two of them?
your surname + your name= their surname.
My own surname self belong to my grandfather and i plan on adding my first name to it as surname for my wife and kids inorder to differentiate them from my brothers' wives and kids plus to massage my ego.

1 Like

Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 08, 2018
My surname ends with me. My children bears my name because I'm their Sur. Same with my wife. I don't have that belief in family name or ancestors name. After all, I've never benefitted in any way with the name.

1 Like

Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
princeking2:
My surname ends with me. My children bears my name because I'm their Sur. Same with my wife. I don't have that belief in family name or ancestors name. After all, I've never benefitted in any way with the name.

You're like me I don't care about surname or even wife taking my name, it hasn't opened doors for me or anything.
Re: Should My Wife And Children Adopt My First Name Or Surname by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 08, 2018
pcguru1:

You're like me I don't care about surname or even wife taking my name, it hasn't opened doors for me or anything.
My brother, see me see trouble. I'm not a traditional man and it doesn't work for me.

(1) (Reply)

I Buy Scrap Battery Ooo Inveter / My Supernatural Encounter with unknown force. / Tvc / Ltv Children Xmas Funfair.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.