Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution (7421 Views)

Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos / Nigerian Churches, Others Causing Increased Witchcraft Persecution In UK – Group / 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by English1(f): 10:04am On Dec 17, 2006
lol. wink
I'd turn the hosepipe on a bunch of football hooligans too if they disturbed me in the middle of the night.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Eurphoria(f): 11:20am On Dec 17, 2006
@English dont think you'd want to do that luvv, especially if they are Millwall or westham hooligans
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by mamaput(f): 11:38am On Dec 17, 2006
Who said they do not distube people in other places.?
They even ring my bell.Sometimes they even wake you up from sleep.
And they even threaten you with the wrath of God if you do not listen to them.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by gbadex1(m): 2:50pm On Dec 17, 2006
<^> @ exu's post,

another example of Christian bashing. Then when someone disses you, you start whining.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Eurphoria(f): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2006
yup i agree
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by exu(m): 3:14pm On Dec 17, 2006
I wasn't rude.

I wasn't childish.

I made a point.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 17, 2006
@mrmayor

u should also ask the question, the noise pollution by mosques in Nigeria

i travelled to oshogbo my God around 5am some guy was shouting at the top of his voice with loudspeakers directed at my window, funny enough i have been battling all nite trying to sleep cos of lack of electricity when i finally got the groove i was awaking by a singing Muslim. i felt i could choke him, so my friends and i planned to steal the speaker the following nite unfortunately i had to leave the area so i did not complete my mission
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Mekuslala(m): 10:35am On Dec 18, 2006
My people una well done oooooo shocked
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by mrmayor(m): 11:20am On Dec 18, 2006
Kacey5,

Please don't me wrong,am not here to bash Christians but air my views as I see it.We all react to situations according to our own experience,if I remember correctly Buhari/Idiagbon regime banned the use of loudspeakers by mosques as signs of indiscipline and I don't think that noise pollution by either Muslims or Christians would be accepted by that regime.
In the UK and Ireland as far as I can remember Mosques don't use loudspeakers to call their members to prayers.BTW,am not a Muslim

I live in Ireland and there are Christians of different denominations but being incentive to other peoples feelings is something that is common with Nigerian led churches,where they pray with loudspeakers,I don't know why anyone needs a loudspeaker to pray.

In Nigeria where laws are not obeyed by anyone,the rights of citizens are trashed on a daily basis in the name of religion,from unsolicited preaching in buses,early morning call to prayers by Mosques,siting of nightclubs in residential areas the list goes on and on
The issue of Noise pollution like other ills in our society must be condemned for what they are
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Eurphoria(f): 12:38pm On Dec 18, 2006
In the UK and Ireland as far as I can remember Mosques don't use loudspeakers to call their members to prayers.BTW,am not a Muslim

Mrmayor
you wrong again, in walthamtow E17 there is a mosque that uses loudspeakers to announce prayers or watever it is they announce, very loud and clear. There is a mosque in Finsbury park as well that does that. I have lived in England all my life and i know for a fact these areas and certain other areas in the midwest, you have places in Bradford that annouce loudly like that too. so it is not just Nigeria. Yes not on the scale of every where like Nigeria. But the ones here that anounce loudly their local council allow do make noise, i asked a friend once and he said it is becos there is a large num of muslims in those areas and if they happen to have muslims on the council they do get some allowances, provided it is used at certain times .
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by mrmayor(m): 1:13pm On Dec 18, 2006
Eurphoria,

OK,maybe in Finsbury Park,Neesden,Brixton,Pecham,East London and the midlands where there are large ethnic populations you would get Mosques,Churches and Temples using Public Address systems but the fact is that these mosques are not in residential settings.
These buildings are either purpose built for religious worship or converted community centres and old theaters/cinemas.Your claim that people are allowed to blast their religious views when they wish is wrong.

Last Christmas or was it during Easter,there was a report on Morning Worship by Gloria Honeyford about a small village church in rural England that was told by the local council that they can't use their church bell early in the morning because it disturbed the peace and tranquility of the village,this came after a few villagers complained.

In the UK as in Ireland there are planning permmision before you can site a church,mosques,pubs,nightclubs etc in any area,these permission are subject to Public Objections by the community.
If the church or mosque chooses to site their building in an already developed residential area they MUST COMPLY all safety and noise level restrictions.

This thread is not about mode of worship per say but about 24/7 loud music,prayers and preaching by NIGERIAN CHURCHES in NIGERIA.
I know for a fact you not supposed to site Churches,Mosques and Nightclubs in residential areas in Nigeria but of course the reverse is the case,laws are never implemented.

Please don't take it personally as an attack on your religion,I was born into a Christian home myself.

Cheers
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by OdBr: 1:21pm On Dec 18, 2006
It's really sad that these days there's an attitude that if you're not loud enough, your prayer is not valid before the eyes of God. And people seem to forget that Jesus always went aside to pray. The violent taketh it by force mantra seems to be the order of the day.
That being said, I do believe in the freedom of expression during prayer but please it has to be done with some sanity abeg. Which one is banging on tables and hitting walls etc??
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Eurphoria(f): 3:39pm On Dec 18, 2006
MRMayor
Nah you got me slightly wrong lol i dont think you are bashing the religion at all. I am with you when you say the noise levels is wrong , totally. We all need to show consideration for neighbours and such. I dont take things personal , especially on NL smiley. I wanted to just point out that bit thats all . I understand like most things in Nigeria noisy is a difficult on to police and infact the churches should make sure they not spoiling what should be the the enjoyment of ones home and peace and quiet. It is common sense and like i said before the bible does say we respect our neighbours. I dont think and say just cos i am a christian i should turn a blind eye to such a problem, just hope other ppl can do so without seeing it as an opportunity to bash the religion. any ways nuff said smiley
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Carlosein(m): 5:31pm On Dec 18, 2006
God save us from these people and their noises! shocked
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by my2cents(m): 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2006
LOL,

All that is going through my head is that Sunday School song we used to sing when I was a kid:

The walls of Jericho fell down flat,
The walls of Jericho fell down flat,
When the Children of God, were praising the Lord,
The walls of Jericho fell down flat

LMAO

Maybe, just maybe, most of the places where some of these "Churches" are located, are suffering infrastructural stress due to the fact that such structures weren't made to withstand the decibels emanating from such "Churches". Anyone wanna take me on, on this? wink
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by gbadex1(m): 7:36pm On Dec 18, 2006
@exu:

i beg to differ. you were being rude.

in other words, you were calling me an ignorant person (alongside other Christians). Now when someone disses you, you start bitching about how the heat's on you.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Eurphoria(f): 7:47pm On Dec 18, 2006
gbade forget him he is a Bellend
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Easyy(m): 9:43pm On Dec 18, 2006
This is one problem I seem to also have with many African churches.

I bet none of their members will be happy to hear some Imam or whatever he is screaming next door to them on a daily basis
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Easyy(m): 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2006
I've seen some Nigerian style worshiping and I have to say that it freaks me out completely. It is so far from the western experience of worship.

I don't understand all the shouting and screaming and repeating the shouts over and over. They treat God like he is deaf or stupid. Still, everyone can worship in their own way. It's wrong to disturb others though.

English,

I've seen a lot English worshipping and it really freaks me out. It's so far from Nigerian experience of worship. I dont understand how they worship and they all look dead or look like they are mourning a dead god. shocked

I hope it is not expected that Nigerians have to worship God the way westerners worship.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by exu(m): 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2006
@exu:

i beg to differ. you were being rude.

in other words, you were calling me an ignorant person (alongside other Christians). Now when someone disses you, you start bitching about how the heat's on you.

I made a point. I expressed my opinion.

She 'yawned'.

That's lazy and rude.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by gbadex1(m): 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2006
exu wrote:

"i made a point. I expressed my opinion."

Bleep that!! You were not making a point, you used the thread as another avenue for Christian-bashing and in the event, insulted me as well as other Christians by branding us as "ignorant people". Who and what the Bleep are you to make such a statement?! Then when the heat's on ya, u start whining and bitching like some ma'fucka who sold his left nut on the black market. Like my man DMX once said, "if you don't want nothing, then don't start nothing". Take a cue from that.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by exu(m): 10:32pm On Dec 18, 2006
Like my man DMX once said, "if you don't want nothing, then don't start nothing".

Quoting a crackhead is good times.

Good times indeed.

I didn't say that all Christians were ignorant (that's not to say that there isn't a case for such an argument).
What I did imply was that Christians who worship loudly without regard for their neighbours were ignorant.

The fact of the matter is I said something that hit close to home.

My point was valid and true.

Rather than critique what I said she choose to be lazy (as are you by venturing way off topic, fortunately for you I'm bored).

I wasn't whining, I simply pointed out that she had broken the rules.

Deal with the topic raised or let it go.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by English1(f): 11:56pm On Dec 18, 2006
Easyy, I did say

'Still, everyone can worship in their own way.'

so what was your point exactly?

My point is that the Nigerian/African style of worship seems to be one of its own invention and has little to do with most other Christian churches. The extreme noise is the main manifestation of that - I just wanted those in Nigeria who maybe think that all Christians worship in this way to know that actually, no, they don't. It is not a traditional part of Christianity at all.

But, like I said, everyone can worship in their own way. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to worship. Did I say otherwise? No.

Just don't disturb me while you do it.

I can tell you that Nigerian worship freaks me out because of the noise and the way that everyone gets so excited etc. Generally speaking Africans are just a lot noisier about everything than British people. That's not wrong, just different, but it causes a different reaction in me than it does to you. Any time a British person finds themself in the middle of a crowd of shrieking and shouting people waving their arms about they will run for cover- as it means that there is a terrible accident or a big fight or something awful about to happen. We don't behave like that in 'happy' situations. That is why Nigerian worship freaks me out. If I'm there then my heart starts pounding and I start to feel genuinely panicky - my body's instinct is that I'm in danger, even though my brain knows I'm not. That's because that's my culture's reaction to that sort of environment. Nigerians obviously react to it in a completely different way.

So how does western worship 'freak you out' exactly? Or were you just being silly and chanting my own words back at me like children do in the playground.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by gbadex1(m): 12:05am On Dec 19, 2006
you didn't hit close to sh*t. The truth will always be the truth: you used the topic of this thread and the thread as an avenue for Christian-bashing. I'm not denying that Christians worshipping loudly esp. in residently is at an expense to their neighbours, far from it. There's not one person in here that doesn't agree about that and everyone had a fair share in talking about it and suggesting ways it can be curbed. Then you came in here and started branding them as "ignorant". Who the piss are you to make such a statement? This is not another Christian bashing thread, take your sh*t elsewhere.

And about me quoting a crackhead. At least he had the brains to figure out that you do unto others as you want others to do unto you. In other words, if you don't want trouble, then don't go asking/giving other people trouble.

Once again, Bleep off the thread, it's not meant for Christian bashing.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Eurphoria(f): 12:37pm On Dec 19, 2006
English
i dont know ? many churches in the west worship like this, infact many white American churches in the bible belt worship like that. not just Nigerian. i know some instances in the bible, there were loud worshipping recorded, where it said thier singing was so loud that the heavens heard, i cant remember the passage if any does pls help.

I do not condone disturbing neighbours in the name of worship at all. But you got to know that it didnt satrt with Nigerian churches. Have you ever been to a Nigerian Church in Nigeria? you talk of the ones here freaking you out. well they may freak you out but they aint doing it to upset neighbours in the Uk. It is unfair to knock their way here when it hasnt kept you awake, all you had to do was walk out, God knows i have walked out of many churches midway in the past. I understand the reason you gave for the why you get freaked out. My Boyfriend is English and he was freaked out when he went to church with me.

If i say anything that seems like i am having a go , forgive me, cos i am not. I just dont like anyone(not you) using this to bash christians, or suggest the way they think they shud worship, no one shud tell another how to worship. Cos you aint God
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by exu(m): 12:48pm On Dec 19, 2006
And about me quoting a crackhead. At least he had the brains to figure out that you do unto others as you want others to do unto you. In other words, if you don't want trouble, then don't go asking/giving other people trouble.

Last I heard he was trying to car-jack someone.

But never mind eh?

p.s.
Loving the use of obscenities. Shows a degree of intelligence I didn't realise that you had.

p.p.s.
To get back on point:

Playing music so loud that it disturbs the neighbours is ignorant regardless of religion.

Being annoyingly loud whilst professing to follow the teachings of a man who supposedly told his followers to respect their neighbour is doubly ignorant.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by mrmayor(m): 2:35pm On Dec 19, 2006
exu:

Playing music so loud that it disturbs the neighbours is ignorant regardless of religion.
Being annoyingly loud whilst professing to follow the teachings of a man who supposedly told his followers to respect their neighbour is doubly ignorant.

Word,nuff said.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Easyy(m): 4:25pm On Dec 19, 2006
English1:

Easyy, I did say

'Still, everyone can worship in their own way.'

so what was your point exactly?

My point is that the Nigerian/African style of worship seems to be one of its own invention and has little to do with most other Christian churches. The extreme noise is the main manifestation of that - I just wanted those in Nigeria who maybe think that all Christians worship in this way to know that actually, no, they don't. It is not a traditional part of Christianity at all.

But, like I said, everyone can worship in their own way. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to worship. Did I say otherwise? No.

Just don't disturb me while you do it.

I can tell you that Nigerian worship freaks me out because of the noise and the way that everyone gets so excited etc. Generally speaking Africans are just a lot noisier about everything than British people. That's not wrong, just different, but it causes a different reaction in me than it does to you. Any time a British person finds themself in the middle of a crowd of shrieking and shouting people waving their arms about they will run for cover- as it means that there is a terrible accident or a big fight or something awful about to happen. We don't behave like that in 'happy' situations. That is why Nigerian worship freaks me out. If I'm there then my heart starts pounding and I start to feel genuinely panicky - my body's instinct is that I'm in danger, even though my brain knows I'm not. That's because that's my culture's reaction to that sort of environment. Nigerians obviously react to it in a completely different way.

So how does western worship 'freak you out' exactly? Or were you just being silly and chanting my own words back at me like children do in the playground.

Isn't the English way of worship one of it's own inventions? The English way of worship is also different from the Hebrew way of worship and also the Chinese way of worship (so I've been told).

If you always get scared whenever someone raises their voice, it's you own problem and you don't have to be around them. You asked if I'm being silly because I said exactly the same thing you said about Nigeria and I reversed it to suit the English. Maybe if a Nigerian worshipper also finds himself in the midst of seemingly dead(lifeless) people - it means they are in a morgue and he'll run for cover.

Why can't other cultures be acceoted without some patronising remarks? If you know that it about different cultures, you should not have knocked it the way you did. One thing I observed about the original English is the penchant for patronising everyone else but they can't take a little unkind word in the same way they expect others to take their own remarks.

You did say "everyone can worship their own way" after knocking the way Nigerians worship. That's like saying the British act like dogs BUT everyone has a right to act the way they want.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by Eurphoria(f): 8:25pm On Dec 19, 2006
got a point there mister.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by gbadex1(m): 10:36pm On Dec 19, 2006
@exu:

Once again, if you don't want lip, then don't give lip, y'nah mean? [no homo]. In ya previous post you quoted yaself then went on to explain it. Perhaps if u had done the same, rather than bashing 'em i wouldn't have tasi'd u at all.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by gbadex1(m): 10:42pm On Dec 19, 2006
. . .and about DMX. Whether he turned car jacker or violated probation is not the point. The point is he made a statement that went with what i said. Don't get it twisted.

And about profane language. I only use them when mofos lyk u run them mouth when it comes to religion. Omo, fun ara ren brain o. ma wo ju!
Re: Nigerian Churches And Noise Pollution by BigSis(f): 11:38pm On Dec 19, 2006
English,

You are very annoying.  The original christian church came from the Ethiopians.  There is no such thing as western christinaity.  It was stolen from the Africans and Europeanized. People of African descent of the most exciting and innovative people on planet. Europeans are dull as dirt and must steal and appropiate the greatness of Africans for themselves.

Now those stupid and inconsiderate folks who harass their neighbors with their over the board worship are simply ignorant.  You must respect your neighbor. 

For example, in the summer time, I cut my grass once a week.  I would like to get up at 6am and cut my grass before the sun gets too hot.  But in consideration for my neighbors, I wait until 7:30 am or 8:00am.   

People of African descent don't worship a boring and dead God like whites.  Religion is a personal experience.  Shouting and catching the spirit is an integral part of the African American church.  We are different.  We are lively, spiritual, and emotional people.  We are nothing likes Europeans - dead, and awfully boring.

I do agre that such people should have been evicted.  I would have led the charge with my neighbors to get rid of bad neighbors.  I do personally think that Nigerian form of Christianity is cult like.  They should simply have some dang common sense not to annoy others with their over doing the religion thing.  It makes them look crazy.

Euphoria,

Your boyfriend was freaked out because he isn't familar with the African way.  We are different from Europeans.  As far as I am concern the European way of worshipping is boring as hell.  The spirit ain't gone visit because it has been lulled to sleep.  We are simply different.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chris Oyakhilome Visits His Mum In Benin,see How She Welcomed Him(photo) / How To Discover Your Purpose, Or Destiny? / Atheism Is A False Belief, Evil And Dogmatic . Why Is It Being Propagated ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.