Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Nigerian Military And The Continuous Harassment And Intimidation Of Civilians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Military And The Continuous Harassment And Intimidation Of Civilians (648 Views)

Niger Deltans Protest "Intimidation Of Jonathan By Buhari, DSS & EFCC" (Pics) / Military And Shia Members Clash In Funtua Katsina (graphic Pics) / Tompolo Writes Last Letter To Buhari, Laments Harassment, Intimidation Of Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Military And The Continuous Harassment And Intimidation Of Civilians by demzylahot(m): 6:24pm On Sep 02, 2016
First and foremost, I must commend the Nigerian military for their efforts in fighting one of the world's most dreaded terrorists group "bokoharam", for all their goodeeds some bad eggs are hell bent on giving the sabotaging the government's effort in maintaining a sane society.
Few months back, a middle aged man was given military drills by three cadets for complimenting their female colleague, the cadets who meted this inhumane treatment could easily pass for their victim's children, after so much uproar from concerned Nigerians on the social media platforms, the defence headquarters promised to bring erring soldiers to justice. Till date nothing has been heard of whatever punishment were given them. Again, some days back a FRSC official got his eyes gouged for pleading for mercy for a motorist, these men in Khaki acted the Philistines on a man whose name is no where near Samson. The Nigerian defence headquarters in her usual path of lies will tell the media they are on top of the situation and will bring anyone found culpable to book. These two incidents are just few of the many harassment and intimidation by the Nigerian military that have been unreported.
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
I in company of my two friends were running errands for one of our senior friends who was about tying the knot with his heartthrob, one of my friends was the driver, the other was at the back seat while I sat beside the driver. We got to market square, a single lane road occupied with traders who display their wares into the road, with this scenario, two cars can't pass side by side, so as were waiting for an oncoming car to pass and grant us access to continue with our journey, as we were trying to navigate through the busy road, we heard a bang on the boot of our car, as we turned around to see who the myopic fellow was, who couldn't see the avalanche of vehicles ahead. A fierce looking, gun wielding soldier was at the driver's window barking like a rottweiler who wants to prove to it's, he is still capable of protecting yhe compound after numerous robbery incidents, the soldier started pouring abuses, calling us unsavoury names, he said almost fifty words in a second, while only four words was let out of our oral orifice "abeg, road no clear" The pleading seem to have calmed him for some seconds, little did we know that his second coming will be greeted with more fierceness and name-calling. This time he directed his gun at the driver and commanded him to drive out or he will deal with him. With the fear of making his threat come true, in a Jackie Chan fashion, we drove through everything that was initially looking like an obstruction. Pedestrians scampered for safety while the traders screamed probably because some of their goods were knocked down. After we drove past the jammed part of the road, we alighted to access the state of the car, our car was scratched on both sides and the bumber was badly hit, angered by this development, the military van drove past us and continued with the outpour of abuses, my friends in anger yelled at them in return. As they were still exchanging words, I shifted few metres away from them (my friends) in case the men in Khaki alight from their van I'll easily disappear into the nearby market, my last frog jump experience back in 2007 wasn't a pleasant one, for four days I couldn't climb the stairs unaided, so I wasn't ready to participate in one after nine long years. The Nigerian military was responsible for the damage to our car and they continue to harass and intimidate law abiding Nigerians..Lt. Gen Buratai should call his men to order. This was one case too many.
Re: Nigerian Military And The Continuous Harassment And Intimidation Of Civilians by demzylahot(m): 6:26pm On Sep 02, 2016
Bae Rocktation, have never asked for front page, this deserves to be there
Re: Nigerian Military And The Continuous Harassment And Intimidation Of Civilians by CHOPUP411(m): 6:26pm On Sep 02, 2016
Nigeria I hail thee

(1) (Reply)

What We Need Nigerian Youths To Be Doing (pics) / Jubilation In Kogi As S’court Upholds Bello’s Election / FEC, Not Govs Will Decide On Sale Of Assets –FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.