Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. (19499 Views)

Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me / HELP,,, My Boss Is Frustrating My Life!!!!! / I Outshined My Employers, Now I'm in Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by ujuvals: 6:26am On Sep 04, 2016
I really want to scream but ofcourse everyone seems to be in the same situation,who will console the other.The economic situation of Nigeria at the moment is really pitiable.We as the citizens have been holding on and managing,praying it gets better but it only seem to get worse.I am writing because I have come to realize that some sectors are abusing this untold hardship in the country and using it as an avenue to greatly enrich themselves.In as much as we understand that there are no jobs in Nigeria,many unemployed yet qualified graduates are roaming the street,the few ones working now are been taken for granted,used and given peanuts at the end of the day with reason been that the company cannot afford a good pay due to the economic situation.I am trying to understand how this fits in to some people.There are companies that are making massive profits despite this economic recession yet they are still slashing salaries,I can't help but to ask where does the profit realised at the end of the day go to?A typical example is Zenith bank which we read slashed workers salaries,to be realistic if a bank as big as zenith can slash despite its massive profit margin wat will the other small companies that barely make enough pay their staffers.I want to share an experience I had few days ago,I went for an interview and after that,I was called to say I did averagely ok but they would want me to work in a bigger position as the Head of Administration.I was delighted,we talked at length and I was told my work days were Mondays to saturday,with 8-7pm work time for a salary if 25,000naira.I am a graduate,I don't seem to understand why the pay has to be so poor,thereby making the job seem like slavery.I want to give my best,I want to add value,I want to be supportive to this firm but I am not motivated by the pay.I can't be working yet be hungry,worse still as head of admin for 25,000.Please Employers I want to appeal to you all to have a conscience.Its very unfair to want someone to do so much yet get paid with little or nothing.The Economy is bad at the moment which we all know but don't use that as a yardstick to frustrate your workers because we also buy things from the market and function too.I also want to plead with the present Administration to please comeup with ways to help the Nigerian Youths.Many of us are willing to work but no jobs,while we also want to be self employed yet still no capital to start even at the smallest level.To all those Employers of labour still treating their staffers nice,I want to commend you and pray that you won't have any reason to fold up.Thank you.Please pardon any grammatical error,I am open to correction.

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by sisisioge: 7:05am On Sep 04, 2016
Babe, I think I should take you out for a drink. My note is almost as lengthy as yours...may God gift us good jobs o.

9 Likes

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 7:07am On Sep 04, 2016
N25K?

Is this on a weekly basis or monthly? If it's the latter then that's really low. Or are there any perks to go with it? i.e. Transportation, medical allowance, etc?

1 Like

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 7:08am On Sep 04, 2016
sisisioge:
Babe, I think I should take you out for a drink. My note is almost as lengthy as yours...may God gift us good jobs o.

Abeg explain Sisioge. I know it sounds horrible but surely that's better than nothing at all?
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by sisisioge: 7:14am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Abeg explain Sis

Hmmm, English usually fails me at this point. Buttom line is that I'm also looking for work, been trying to change for a while now. The outrageous requirements is my biggest challenge...imagine being 26yrs with at least 10years experience! It is really well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 7:53am On Sep 04, 2016
^^ Meaning you're expected to have been working from age 16?

Back to @op's post, is that pay rate for permanent staff or contractors? It's so ridiculous I'm wondering if that even covers transportation - unless of course, he/she lives walking distance from work.

But I still think if N25K is all on offer with nothing else, then that's pretty mean. Wicked more like as the hours are ridiculously long with no scope for taking on a second job to supplement their income. Monday to Saturdays from 7:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m? embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 8:06am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:
^^ Meaning you're expected to have been working from age 16?

Back to @op's post, is that pay rate for permanent staff or contractors? It's so ridiculous I'm wondering if that even covers transportation - unless of course, he/she lives walking distance from work.

But I still think if N25K is all on offer with nothing else, then that's pretty mean. Wicked more like as the hours are ridiculously long with no scope for taking on a second job to supplement their income. Monday to Saturdays from 7:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m? embarassed

That pay she mentioned or less is real, you have been gone for so long cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 8:13am On Sep 04, 2016
byvan03:

That pay she mentioned or less is real, you have been gone for so long cheesy.

Abegie.

Okay, I believe you. So the question is, how does one survive on this na? This kind pay na me and me only kind of salary for women only, or people still living with their parents.

Definitely not for a married family man with dependents. Onegai, your input pls...
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 8:21am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Abegie.

Okay, I believe you. So the question is, how does one survive on this na? This kind pay na me and me only kind of salary for women only, or people still living with their parents.

Definitely not for a married family man with dependents.

Actually many married men are receiving that, their wives support with all they can. Some go for average earners when they intend to marry to ease their burden.
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 8:28am On Sep 04, 2016
byvan03:

Actually many married men are receiving that, their wives support with all they can. Some go for average earners when they intend to marry to ease their burden.

What kind of budget person go draw up for this one na? Seriously.
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 8:39am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:

What kind of budget person go draw up for this one na? Seriously.

The lucky ones live in their family homes, some hold up in uncompleted or face me I face you buildings. Those that have access to land do a lot of farming and supplement with all sort of runs by the side. It's a hustle and somehow they get by.

1 Like

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 8:46am On Sep 04, 2016
byvan03:

The lucky ones live in their family homes, some hold up in uncompleted or face me I face you buildings. Those that have access to land do a lot of farming and supplement with all sorts of runs by the side. It's a hustle and somehow they get by.

But that's the point Byv. Where will the energy come from to do anything else with those crazy hours? And I'm sure if you factor in the time they leave home to start at 7:00 a.m to when they get back home after closing at 8:00 p.m, they'll be dog tired.

Abeg this won't work in Lagos. @op was probably referring to a Zenith bank in one small quiet town like that were the cost of living is relatively cheap compared to Lagos.
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 8:53am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:

But that's the point Byv. Where will the energy come from to do anything else with those crazy hours? And I'm sure if you factor in the time they leave home to start at 7:00 a.m to when they get back home after closing at 8:00 p.m, they'll be dog tired.

Abeg this won't wirk in Lagos. @op was probably referring to a Zenith bank in one small quiet town like that were the cost of living is relatively cheap compared to Lagos.

Of course the crazy hours here is not very typical of other firms or institutions , many are free from 4:30 to do other things by the side. Is there still a place where cost of living is cheap in Nigeria? cheesy

People also sneak around work to sort personal runs.
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 8:59am On Sep 04, 2016
byvan03:

Of course the crazy hours here is not very typical of other firms or institutions , many are free from 4:30 to do other things by the side. Is there still a place where cost of living is cheap in Nigeria? cheesy

People also sneak around work to sort personal runs.

Hmmm...okay, unless that.

A man on this sort of yeye pay shouldn't even consider marriage. At all. What kind of life is that?

2 Likes

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by ujuvals: 9:00am On Sep 04, 2016
That is the pay for permanent staff.I was told no extras ie no allowance of any kind,that's what they can offer.I just had to ponder about the work timing,even if you can't offer so much why set such a crazy work timing that would keep the person exhausted.if I were to spend the whole day in the office,six days a week what will my feeding expenses amount to?I mean what budget can I comeup with this amount.I want to work,I have a lot to offer them but honestly I can't be motivated on an empty stomach.God bless us all,its well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 9:06am On Sep 04, 2016
ujuvals:
That is the pay for permanent staff.I was told no extras ie no allowance of any kind,that's what they can offer.I just had to ponder about the work timing,even if you can't offer so much why set such a crazy work timing that would keep the person exhausted.if I were to spend the whole day in the office,six days a week what will my feeding expenses amount to?I mean what budget can I comeup with this amount.I want to work,I have a lot to offer them but honestly I can't be motivated on an empty stomach.God bless us all,its well.

So did you accept the offer or were you able to negotiate for a better deal?

You know, even over here, the problem with us ladies when taking a job is that we're poor negotiators. Men on the other hand are much bolder, brazen even, and will negotiate till the cows come home - even if their knowledge of the job is half of ours. I speak from experience angry angry
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 9:07am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Hmmm...okay, unless that.

A man on this sort of yeye pay shouldn't even consider marriage. At all. What kind of life is that?

grin grin grin eventually some get lucky and job changes, I have seen that happen severally. The thing is that someone that lives on 25k monthly will some how learn how to be meticulous with its management. It's still very terrible for a family man though, especially with kids. Sometimes you wake up to unplanned bills due to health brouhaha, it certainly won't be easy for a family man. Not when to obtain just a hospital card costs as much as 10k.
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 9:08am On Sep 04, 2016
ujuvals:

If you have something in hand for now, please forget this job because it won't even give you the time to seek for other opportunities.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 9:14am On Sep 04, 2016
byvan03:

grin grin grin eventually some get lucky and job changes, I have seen that happen severally. The thing is that someone that lives on 25k monthly will some how learn how to be meticulous with its management. It's still very terrible for a family man though, especially with kids. Sometimes you wake up to unplanned bills due to health brouhaha, it certainly won't be easy for a family man. Not when to obtain just a hospital card costs as much as 10k.

It's the money management part I'm keen to understand. Obviously transportation will be either leggedeze benze (trekking) or riding a bicycle to work. But feeding? How can N25K be stretched a month without resorting to crime / stealing?

Wetin dem go buy for market? Obviously one pot of stew with periwinkles must be made to stretch for two weeks. 1 small basket of garri, rice, and beans nko?

Rent?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 9:15am On Sep 04, 2016
byvan03:

If you have something in hand for now, please forget this job because it won't even give you the time to seek for other opportunities.

She can. Online.
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 9:20am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:

It's the money management part I'm keen to understand. Obviously transportation will be either leggedeze benze (trekking) or riding a bicycle to work. But feeding? How can N25K be stretched a month without resorting to crime / stealing?

Wetin dem go buy for market? Obviously one pot of stew with periwinkles must be made to stretch for two weeks. 1 small basket of garri, rice, and beans nko?

Rent?

OK, uncompleted buildings charge 1500- 2500 per room monthly. So they can plan the rest around meal, keep 5000 for emergencies. Wify can support, because in this case their is no chilling by the sideline for the woman even if her hands are falling off. Nawaooh!! Doing the maths wan knock my brain sef.

Yes, legedeze Benz on point.

3 Likes

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 9:23am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:

She can. Online.

Out of 100 online jobs, 99 are fake. Taking your CV to the firm or institutions in person works better.

2 Likes

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 9:30am On Sep 04, 2016
byvan03:

Out of 100 online jobs, 99 are fake. Taking your CV to the firm or institutions in person works better.

True

I get you on this one.

1 Like

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by EfemenaXY: 9:35am On Sep 04, 2016
byvan03:

OK, uncompleted buildings charge 1500- 2500 per room monthly. So they can plan the rest around meal, keep 5000 for emergencies. Wify can support, because in this case their is no chilling by the sideline for the woman even if her hands are falling off. Nawaooh!! Doing the maths wan knock my brain sef.

Yes, legedeze Benz on point.

No abeg let's do the maths together.

Okay, so N7,500 for rent and emergencies, remaining N17,500. Oya explain the feeding bit. How much is a small basket of garri, rice, and beans?

You know how those market women arrange tomatoes and pepper for table. How much for a small pile of those? i.e tomatoes & pepper? And one small bottle of groundnut oil? Or is palm oil cheaper? 1 onion nko? Sambarry I know you sabi price for market. Come 'n help us out here.

Kia! This reminds me of my student days back in Uni.

2 Likes

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by byvan03: 10:58am On Sep 04, 2016
EfemenaXY:

No abeg let's do the maths together.

Okay, so N7,500 for rent and emergencies, remaining N17,500. Oya explain the feeding bit. How much is a small basket of garri, rice, and beans?

You know how those market women arrange tomatoes and pepper for table. How much for a small pile of those? i.e tomatoes & pepper? And one small bottle of groundnut oil? Or is palm oil cheaper? 1 onion nko? Sambarry I know you sabi price for market. Come 'n help us out here.

Kia! This reminds me of my student days back in Uni.

grin grin

A small paint bucket of rice is 2k, beans 1200, groundnut oil 450 per bottle, palm oil 400 per bottle . They will need half carton of tin tomatoes for 1350, onions 200 for 8 medium ones . Must they really eat garri? That will keep us struggling to budget soup allocation, it's not easy at all. I think increasing rice to 2 paint bucket will help. Alone, I can successfully manage 25k monthly. With family....hmmmmm, may God rescue everyone in one form of need or the other angry.

2 Likes

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by ujuvals: 11:50am On Sep 04, 2016
I didn't take the job.I tried to negotiate for a better pay.I guess they already have a salary structure that pays miserable salaries.The Bsc receptionist is been paid 18,000.I might have managed the offer if it were better but to be sincere it is slavery judging by the work timing.We know that the economy is tight at the moment but it would be better u employ those you can pay.I don't want to be working yet can barely sort my basic needs which are food,hospital bills(should that arise)and other things.The company can afford to do better because their profile shows they have a steady sustainance,only that they rather enrich themselves and sit on the economic situation to frustrate their staffers.I will keep searching,I can be understanding too as I am not seeking for a mouth watering offer but something I can live on while contributing my very best to that organization.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by abdeiz(m): 11:51am On Sep 04, 2016
Never ever let anyone remunerate you for less than what you're worth. Left for me I'd walk out, it ain't worth the hassle for that pay.

1 Like

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 04, 2016
sisisioge:

Hmmm, English usually fails me at this point. Button line is that I'm also looking for work, been trying to change for a while now. The outrageous requirements is my biggest challenge...imagine being 26yrs with at least 10years experience! It is really well.

Catch 22, these employers are sick you need experience to get the job, but guess what you need for the experience ?
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by sisisioge: 1:27pm On Sep 04, 2016
pcguru1:

Catch 22, these employers are sick you need experience to get the job, but guess what you need for the experience ?

grin grin grin
What?
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by SAMBARRY: 2:01pm On Sep 04, 2016
Hmnn efemena this is a very serious and bad situation.25k per month

Well that's how Nigerian employers are
they slave their employees to build their dreams
So my dear what you'll have to do is spend more on necessities while at the same time looking out for better job offers or learning a skill. So here we go

Because of your kind of income I suggest you live in a face me I slap you environment ot house where you pay 2k per month for house rent
feeding. Budget 5k per month on feeding. Meaning whatever foodstuffs you have to buy it has to be at the confines of 5k.that means you will buy 1derica of rice 250naira
250naira derivative of beans
Garri etc

Forget about owning dstv.those are liabilities
Forget buying a car thats also a liability that will be eating up your finances
If you have a neighbour that works close to your office clinch to him or her and request for assistance to be dropping you off to work and trek the remaining. That way you have curbed transportation expenses
Recharge card for the month should not exceed 2k
Instead of spending exhorbitantly for hair just do braids of 3k that can last you for 3 month's
Pay your tithe if you're a Christian
Then Save the remaining So you will use it to start up a buisness of your choice

It's well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by ogawisdom(m): 2:45pm On Sep 04, 2016
ujuvals:
I really want to scream but ofcourse everyone seems to be in the same situation,who will console the other.The economic situation of Nigeria at the moment is really pitiable.We as the citizens have been holding on and managing,praying it gets better but it only seem to get worse.I am writing because I have come to realize that some sectors are abusing this untold hardship in the country and using it as an avenue to greatly enrich themselves.In as much as we understand that there are no jobs in Nigeria,many unemployed yet qualified graduates are roaming the street,the few ones working now are been taken for granted,used and given peanuts at the end of the day with reason been that the company cannot afford a good pay due to the economic situation.I am trying to understand how this fits in to some people.There are companies that are making massive profits despite this economic recession yet they are still slashing salaries,I can't help but to ask where does the profit realised at the end of the day go to?A typical example is Zenith bank which we read slashed workers salaries,to be realistic if a bank as big as zenith can slash despite its massive profit margin wat will the other small companies that barely make enough pay their staffers.I want to share an experience I had few days ago,I went for an interview and after that,I was called to say I did averagely ok but they would want me to work in a bigger position as the Head of Administration.I was delighted,we talked at length and I was told my work days were Mondays to saturday,with 8-7pm work time for a salary if 25,000naira.I am a graduate,I don't seem to understand why the pay has to be so poor,thereby making the job seem like slavery.I want to give my best,I want to add value,I want to be supportive to this firm but I am not motivated by the pay.I can't be working yet be hungry,worse still as head of admin for 25,000.Please Employers I want to appeal to you all to have a conscience.Its very unfair to want someone to do so much yet get paid with little or nothing.The Economy is bad at the moment which we all know but don't use that as a yardstick to frustrate your workers because we also buy things from the market and function too.I also want to plead with the present Administration to please comeup with ways to help the Nigerian Youths.Many of us are willing to work but no jobs,while we also want to be self employed yet still no capital to start even at the smallest level.To all those Employers of labour still treating their staffers nice,I want to commend you and pray that you won't have any reason to fold up.Thank you.Please pardon any grammatical error,I am open to correction.

25k for dt job description is abusive to say d least but u will b surprised to see better qualified persons jump at it d moment u turn them down. Fresh Job seekers are extremely desperate ppl n employers exploit dt.

This job is for someone probably living with d parents n lives a walking distance to d office dt way rent n transport is sorted out n probably part of his/her feeding.

Even 50k will b difficult to live well on in this Buhari era for a single dt pays one room self contained rent, transport, feeding etc
Re: Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 04, 2016
sisisioge:

grin grin grin
What?

A job . sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Moment A Rescue Worker "Cried" During Training (video) / What Will Your Occupation Be If You Had Followed Your Childhood Dreams? / Civil Defence Officers Revolt Over Deduction Of N5,000 From Their Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.