Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,853 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? (1128 Views)

Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / I Don't Want To Marry A Christian Or Religious Person. / Limit To Intimacy In A Christian Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:53pm On Sep 05, 2016
Should a Christian declare bankruptcy? Is declaring bankruptcy or going bankrupt even something a Christian can consider?
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by eph12(m): 5:44pm On Sep 05, 2016
Yes
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:29am On Sep 06, 2016
eph12:

Yes

What are your reasons for saying yes?
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by eph12(m): 6:43am On Sep 06, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What are your reasons for saying yes?
If his money finishes he can declare bankruptcy
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:41am On Sep 08, 2016
eph12:

If his money finishes he can declare bankruptcy

Let me rephrase the question. Is it proper for a Christian in debt to get a "quick fix" to his problem by seeking bankruptcy?
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by eph12(m): 8:48am On Sep 08, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Let me rephrase the question. Is it proper for a Christian in debt to get a "quick fix" to his problem by seeking bankruptcy?
Quick fix? As in deliberately trying to avoid paying his debt? No!
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:26am On Sep 08, 2016
eph12:

Quick fix? As in deliberately trying to avoid paying his debt? No!

If not, why not? undecided
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by eph12(m): 9:59am On Sep 08, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Deceit
Lies
Fraud
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:11am On Sep 08, 2016
eph12:

Deceit
Lies
Fraud

How? Explain.
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by eph12(m): 10:18am On Sep 08, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

How? Explain.
What do you think? Should a christian declare bankruptcy and avoid paying his debts when he can afford to?
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:24am On Sep 08, 2016
eph12:

What do you think? Should a christian declare bankruptcy and avoid paying his debts when he can afford to?

And if he cannot afford to pay should he/she still declare bankruptcy? undecided
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by eph12(m): 10:26am On Sep 08, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

OLAADEGBU:

And if he cannot afford to pay? undecided

Guess I misunderstood this comment of yours then
If he cannot afford to pay then it's not lies or deceit or whatever.
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:27am On Sep 08, 2016
eph12:

Guess I misunderstood this comment of yours then

I have just edited it for clarity. smiley
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by PastorAIO: 11:32am On Sep 08, 2016
How can he go bankrupt when he is paying his tithes and the devourer is far from his business?

Isn't that a pointless question, if you are truly the kind of christian you claim to be?

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2016
PastorAIO:

How can he go bankrupt when he is paying his tithes and the devourer is far from his business?

Isn't that a pointless question, if you are truly the kind of christian you claim to be?

Surely he/she cannot go bankrupt if he/she had been faithfully paying their tithes but do all Christians pay their tithes? Should this kind of Christian declare bankruptcy? undecided
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by PastorAIO: 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Surely he/she cannot go bankrupt if he/she had been faithfully paying their tithes but do all Christians pay their tithes? Should this kind of Christian declare bankruptcy? undecided

Instead of going bankrupt he should just quickly go and pay his tithes and his business will bounce back.
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On Sep 08, 2016
PastorAIO:

Instead of going bankrupt he should just quickly go and pay his tithes and his business will bounce back.

If paying their tithes is the first step what do you think will be the next step? undecided
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:12pm On Sep 08, 2016
Is declaring bankruptcy or going bankrupt even something a Christian can consider?
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by PastorAIO: 1:54am On Sep 09, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

If paying their tithes is the first step what do you think will be the next step? undecided

Next he should check his dictionary for the meaning of the word 'Sarcasm'.
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:31am On Sep 09, 2016
PastorAIO:

Next he should check his dictionary for the meaning of the word 'Sarcasm'.

Have you heard that North Korea has now banned Sarcasm? Google it. cool
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by PastorAIO: 11:41am On Sep 09, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Have you heard that North Korea has now banned Sarcasm? Google it. cool

You will obviously flourish there then. Abi make I buy the ticket for you?
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:44am On Sep 09, 2016
PastorAIO:

You will obviously flourish there then. Abi make I buy the ticket for you?

Don't only buy the ticket but take a trip there to find out whether it is true. shocked
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by PastorAIO: 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Don't only buy the ticket but take a trip there to find out whether it is true. shocked

I don't need to find out. I believe it by faith in my Holy scripture called the Guardian Newspaper.

Anyway, the ticket is for you since you and North Korea have a lack of Sarcasm-ometer in common.
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by oaroloye(m): 5:03pm On Sep 10, 2016
SHALOM!

A foolish question.

Whom do you consider "Christian?"

Full Gospel Christians, Mormons, Jehovah's Witlesses (sic), Seventh Daze Adventists (sic), Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox- ARE YOU PEOPLE EVEN AWARE THAT THESE VARIATIONS EXIST?

Why wasting our time with this nonsense?
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:50pm On Oct 18, 2016
PastorAIO:

I don't need to find out. I believe it by faith in my Holy scripture called the Guardian Newspaper.

Anyway, the ticket is for you since you and North Korea have a lack of Sarcasm-ometer in common.

Sarcasm in the classroom. cool
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:50am On Oct 29, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Should a Christian declare bankruptcy? Is declaring bankruptcy or going bankrupt even something a Christian can consider?

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/bankruptcy.html
Re: Should A Christian Declare Bankruptcy? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/bankruptcy.html

Question: "Should a Christian declare bankruptcy?"

Answer: Although the Bible does not address bankruptcy per se, we do have some principles that might apply and therefore help us make some judgments.

Biblical principle #1. We have the responsibility to keep our promises and pay what we owe. Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 says, "When you make a vow to God, do not delay to pay it; For He has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you have vowed — Better not to vow than to vow and not pay."

Biblical principle #2. Living on credit and not paying back what we owe is characteristic of the wicked. Psalm 37:21 says, "The wicked borrows and does not repay, but the righteous shows mercy and gives." Christians have no business behaving in the same manner as "the wicked."

Is it proper for a Christian in debt to get a "quick fix" to his problem by seeking bankruptcy? Based on these verses, the answer is "No." A Christian is obligated to pay what he has agreed to pay, under the original terms of the agreement. It may mean a change of lifestyle and a radical revision of the budget, but the good stewardship of money is a part of godly living.

There are certain types of bankruptcy which are designed to postpone repayment, rather than evade it. In such cases, the debt is not erased, and the one filing for bankruptcy communicates his intention of repaying the debt. Court protection is extended until one has the ability to repay. This type of bankruptcy would not violate the biblical principles discussed above and would be, for the individual Christian, a matter of conscience.

(1) (Reply)

Do Not Lose Your Soul To Worldly Music / Rccg Sunday School Manual For March 11, Lesson 28 : Topic -the Man And His Wife / Festival 28th March 2018 - Ogheghe, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria [videos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.