Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault (5571 Views)

Africa’s Richest Man, Aliko Dangote, To Set Up Peugeot Assembly Plant In Kaduna / Man Redesigns An Abandoned Peugeot 504 In Enugu (Photos) / How Good Is Used Peugeot 407 For A Beginner... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 2:53am On Sep 08, 2016
Good day my fellow Lion men, I had an experience yesterday with my lion which wasn't a very pleasant one as usual. I was on the way to an appointment and was so hungry so I asked my younger brother to drive me while I sit in front and eat because I was running late already and couldn't stop to eat. This should be the first time someone else drove my lion and I guess the lion was so jealous and decided to teach me a leson.
It all started when we got to a traffic light, the light turned red and we were the first at the left lane. After my brother shifted the gear to P, then after the light turned green, he shifted the transmission back to D and as he tried to accelerate, we heard a very heavy sound, sounded more like something pulled off the drivers side wheel and the gear just went freewheel only (I mean the gear just couldn't engage). Tried the tip tronic also but it couldn't work. No gear could engage, the gear stick can be moved from P to any gear, but the car can't move. Right now the car is still at mechanic workshop because nothing could be done yesterday as the towed car only arrived to the workshop at about 9pm. But after a brief examination, the workshop guy suggested the entire gearbox needs to be changed. I really need advise from anyone who has had similar experience and experienced lion heads in NL. Greetings from Malaysia. .@Ikenna351 @Gazzuzz
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:56am On Sep 08, 2016
Is your engine a V6?
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 8:25am On Sep 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
Is your engine a V6?
no not v6.. 4 cylinder
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:41am On Sep 08, 2016
mayoralex:
no not v6.. 4 cylinder

have you had any repairs on the transmission before now? Any work on the suspension? Start be checking the C.V joints (shafts), if any are out of place vehicle will not move

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 8:55am On Sep 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

have you had any repairs on the transmission before now? Any work on the suspension? Start be checking the C.V joints (shafts), if any are out of place vehicle will not move
the mechanic is suggesting that's it's not shaft, he said if it was shaft,the steering won't be able to turn. But the car can start, steering can turn but if select gear the car cannot be driven all the gears just acting like neutral
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 8:57am On Sep 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

never repaired the transmission, but before this the car sometimes shows the prnd caution but after restart the car move's perfectly
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by cardoctor(m): 9:03am On Sep 08, 2016
Oya Ikenna, over to you. Thanks for the other day. Really appreciated.
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 9:08am On Sep 08, 2016
mayoralex:
the mechanic is suggesting that's it's not shaft, he said if it was shaft,the steering won't be able to turn. But the car can start, steering can turn but if select gear the car cannot be driven all the gears just acting like neutral
just scanned now and the result is gearbox ECU faulty
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by cardoctor(m): 9:08am On Sep 08, 2016
Indeed, something may have pulled off but that doesn't mean that you will be needing a new gearbox as prescribed by your "mechanic". Peugeot gearboxes don't just pack up like that. Get a second opinion if I were you.
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 9:28am On Sep 08, 2016
cardoctor:
Indeed, something may have pulled off but that doesn't mean that you will be needing a new gearbox as prescribed by your "mechanic". Peugeot gearboxes don't just pack up like that. Get a second opinion if I were you.
thanks so much bro, that's exactly why I came here to seek expert naija advise. Here in Malaysia, the mechanics are so lazy. All they know is change this and change that. They don't know anything like repair . For them,to repair costs more than changing to new one
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:56am On Sep 08, 2016
mayoralex:

wrong. Vehicle will still turn. But check if you have any form of spin on any side of the C.V joints, when the car is engaged in drive. This can be checked when vehicle is on a pit. Also check if transmission fluid is at normal level.
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 12:46pm On Sep 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

wrong. Vehicle will still turn. But check if you have any form of spin on any side of the C.V joints, when the car is engaged in drive. This can be checked when vehicle is on a pit. Also check if transmission fluid is at normal level.
Thank you very much for your suggestions sir. Just as u said, what if There's a form of spin on the cv joint after the car has been jacked up? Can I have your phone number sir?
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:03pm On Sep 08, 2016
mayoralex:
Thank you very much for your suggestions sir. Just as u said, what if There's a form of spin on the cv joint after the car has been jacked up? Can I have your phone number sir?

It means you have drive and no go grin

What is the mileage of your vehicle?
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 4:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

It means you have drive and no go grin

What is the mileage of your vehicle?

mileage is 61k miles. 2008 model 2.0 HDI
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:54pm On Sep 08, 2016
mayoralex:
mileage is 61k miles. 2008 model 2.0 HDI

61k miles on good roads on a peugeot! Rule out suspension issues unless there was previous work done on your front suspension that was not done well. check transmission oil level, there is no dipstick by the way so start by checking for leaks. There are 2 drain bolts in 1 position, 1 for checking fluid level, and the other for draining fluid. Find out if fluid did not dry out.
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 5:14am On Sep 09, 2016
Ok thank you very much sir
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by chukel(m): 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2016
Does this car have a cable to the transmission from the gear lever? If yes, then it may have snapped. Don't have much experience with transmission but it may have to do with transmission neutral switch sensor where the cable connects transmission to the gear lever.
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by mayoralex(m): 4:44pm On Sep 09, 2016
Thanks be to God, the fault has been fixed by an experienced peugeot mechanic here. It was just a round component in the drive shaft that was supposed to have teeth but the teeth became smooth so it was changed to another used one and I was charged MYR200 equivalent to 15k++ naira and I'm so happy because I got reasonable advise here from Gazzuzz and Co that saved me my earlier unplanned budget of 2500MYR equivalent to 200k naira for getting a used gearbox with 7 days warrant. . Thanks KS naira land. I'm typing this inside my lion

5 Likes

Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2016
mayoralex:
Thanks be to God, the fault has been fixed by an experienced peugeot mechanic here. It was just a round component in the drive shaft that was supposed to have teeth but the teeth became smooth so it was changed to another used one and I was charged MYR200 equivalent to 15k++ naira and I'm so happy because I got reasonable advise here from Gazzuzz and Co that saved me my earlier unplanned budget of 2500MYR equivalent to 200k naira for getting a used gearbox with 7 days warrant. . Thanks KS naira land. I'm typing this inside my lion

So it was the CV joint? At 60k miles? shocked that's interesting.

Happy to hear your lion is roaring again.

[size=1pt]please sell it and buy a toyota[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by Ikenna351(m): 8:21am On Sep 11, 2016
How to get useful maintenance tips on Peugeot vehicles and be a happy Peugeot owner.

hhhhhj

Ikenna, Lion King.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by Ikenna351(m): 8:24am On Sep 11, 2016
How to get useful maintenance tips on Peugeot vehicles & be a happy Peugeot owner.

h

Ikenna, Lion King.

I, today, 28/06/2020, intentionally edited and deleted some free vital information I provided in the original post (05/11/2019), which I shared here to benefit those who can't afford my private consultancy services, but have now been removed since the free information is not valued and appreciated.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by olaphemmy01(m): 8:56am On Mar 30, 2021
Thanks@ Ikenna and Gazzuzz...

Same fault occured on my lion few days ago and the mechanic said I will need new gear box.

I came across this post this morning and belief it will solve it.

I will let you know it's process.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by BamBamK: 9:27am On Mar 30, 2021
we dey wait ur update

olaphemmy01:
Thanks@ Ikenna and Gazzuzz...

Same fault occured on my lion few days ago and the mechanic said I will need new gear box.

I came across this post this morning and belief it will solve it.

I will let you know it's process.
Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by olaphemmy01(m): 1:43pm On Apr 29, 2021
Good afternoon sir, I'm sorry for responding late.

It was exactly the solution you provided. The moment I told the mechanic, he then fix it and my lion became active again.

Thanks slot.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault by bros856: 10:25am On Oct 03, 2021
Please guys in the forum I have transmission problem with my 407 with error message 'Oil' on dashboard. Sometimes refused to move. Mostly when it's driven for a while. On Park it refused to start until you disconnect battery head and fix it back. Or place the gear liver on neutral.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium / Urgent Advise Needed On Best Jeep To Buy With Budget Of 1.4M / Why The Drastic Drop In Price Of Honda Accord 2008-2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.