Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,903 members, 7,821,142 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure (17631 Views)

Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / 28 Tenants Flee Estate Where Electricity Bill Is More Than Rent (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by magazineguy(m): 7:54am On Sep 09, 2016
There really can’t be anything more heart wrenching than getting to your place of work and finding bulldozers about to pull down structures. Such was the tale of Nuli Juice, Nuts About Cakes and the other companies that shared the structure on 8, Rumens Road, Ikoyi. Staffs of the various companies that occupy the building had gotten to their place of work on the 1st of September 2016, to find bulldozers and policemen in guns ready to demolish the building.

A lot of people have argued that in a country where the government claims to be in support of SMEs, this action not only was rash and uncalled for, but also seen as sending the wrong message to investors outside the country about the business climate of Nigeria. Others however, still not in support of the government have come out to say that Nuli Juice and the other companies that occupied the building should have done more to find out about this matter before starting or renewing any form of payment for the building. Lagos landlords are never truthful, so many at times, you need to do your fact finding yourself especially when it involves huge sums of money. Some tenants had just renewed their rent while others like Nuli juice who moved in just recently had also paid to a landlord who certainly knew about the government’s displeasure with the build but did not say a word concerning it to his tenants.

A certain experience of a friend comes to mind – this friend had just paid a certain amount of money for his rent and had paid for two years straight up. After a month spent at his new residence, he was disconnected by PHCN because of a pending bill of close to a hundred thousand naira. Of course, he was very surprised as he had not envisaged that this would be a problem when he was paying for the rent. He contacted the landlord who made no effort to sort it out with the officials involved seeing that the hundred thousand was obviously an accumulated bill of the previous tenant. At the end of the day, he had to part with another huge sum of money just to resolve the issue. Though not the same gravity as the Nuli juice matter, both can be compared because in both cases the landlord knew something was up and the tenant had not taken his time to ask for the appropriate documents from the landlord. The building Nuli Juice occupied for instance, was said to have had the “X” symbol on it. Did tenants bother to find out why the sign was put there and how they could work a solution to this problem?

In my own opinion, all the parties involved are to blame. From the landlord who knew about this problem but kept telling his tenants that the matter was being resolved, to the tenants who knew the building had problems with government officials but did not take out their time to find out the situation of things concerning the building. The government also should have tried to reach out to the tenants and extended the notice to them as well. If they treat SMEs like this especially in this period of recession, how do they expect foreign investors to readily buy into businesses in the country? How do they expect the economy to grow? Do they realize that the death of small businesses has its ripple effects? Think of how many people lost their jobs due to this singular move, both the direct workers and the indirect workers (artisans, carpenters, plumbers and so many others).

I must however commend the CEO of Nuli Juice, Ada Osakwe, who seems to have put this incident behind her and is somewhat trying to bounce back. Just yesterday, Uber Nigeria delivered Nuli Juice to Lagos residents who placed orders. It is a good thing that she has not allowed this unfortunate incident affect her business and it shows that she has a fighting spirit. I really do hope that the other businesses affected by this event can recover soon.

This incident, should actually serve as a lesson to Lagos residents for the need to be careful when making payments for apartments.

source: http://tushmagazine.com.ng/nuli-juice-8-rumens-road-thoughts/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by sexychocho(f): 6:34am On Sep 10, 2016
Hmmmmmmmm, dis is a serious case

Pity those affected and I think people shud be more kiaful when renting house

Proper findings shud be done

It is well

2 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Emeskhalifa(m): 6:34am On Sep 10, 2016
ahhnnn ahnnnn. m even speechless sef
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 10, 2016
While it is true that thepccupants ought to have done their due diligence much more thoroughly, I think the government ought to serve formal notice on ALL occupants directly.

8 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by DICKtator: 6:36am On Sep 10, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by JuanDeDios: 6:37am On Sep 10, 2016
Are you sure of your facts? We've been told it was adjacent building that was marked "X", not 8.

6 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by hpk(m): 6:38am On Sep 10, 2016
Government Over Everything!!! Ijo Oba ni Agbara Gannn!!!!
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by gbaskiboy: 6:39am On Sep 10, 2016
#changebeginwith, Henceforth i will eat twice in a week, to enable our agriculture to grow. All friends and family should take note

1 Like

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Pavore9: 6:41am On Sep 10, 2016
Due diligence before paying for any space is very important.
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Nobody: 6:41am On Sep 10, 2016
We Nigerians think we are smart about everything, if Lagos state government should do their job 50% of houses you think are legal would be brought down.

After 2 years of purchasing a piece of land a friend have continued to build temporary buildings on the land and still waiting for his papers to perfect before he starts a full construction, and according to him he will wait no matter how long it takes.

His friends who have properties around his area have already built and moved into government lands, ( government acquisition) mocking him thinking he does not have money to build. Wisdom is really scarce.

But let me not forget to say that lagos state is not doing a good job about educating the public when it comes to regional planning at all.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by OLAplusONE(m): 6:43am On Sep 10, 2016
The gods are not to blame.... Only God knows why Nigerians can't read simple instructions, here in Ibadan I still see people living in structures that are sited close to d railway line and marked X, so when demolition comes they will still blame the government... Isshh
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by henrygoody(m): 6:47am On Sep 10, 2016
Wow, that's so so upsetting that in this nonsense change u pay money only to come nd see caterpillar........ Hmmmm , e bad oooo,,,,,,anyway there's always a lesson to learn from such things.

Congrat to me I cus I'm the first to comment grin
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by martineinstein(m): 6:51am On Sep 10, 2016
dats nigeria for u.they will blame government for everything....most of them saw the sign,including the woman dat just paid 5million for the shop rentage and they neglected govt warning.
This case reminds me of what happened in my area last 2weeks:the owner of a large departmental stores was constructing 2 story building with xtension that left the environs in jeopardy..the regulatory body realised that the owner of the structure descided to neglect d approved plan to construct a different structure entirely.....the state govt came with miltary men and demolished the structure after giving dem notice,prior.

I aso watched anada one on ait news.the landlords and shop owners constructed buildings under high tension pylons.they were giving notification to relocate six months before d demolition ,but the people refused to relocate.they were surprised when fgovt came to demolish dia property

1 Like

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by hopefulLandlord: 6:59am On Sep 10, 2016
those "government officials" usually don't get the demolition notice to the house till the date of demolition or a day before

2 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by gist4kidsblog: 6:59am On Sep 10, 2016
Ok

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Sharon6(f): 7:03am On Sep 10, 2016
Awwwwhhhhh. What a loss.. At God replenish those affected in a million fold.

GET RID OF STRETCH MARKS, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by adatemi: 7:04am On Sep 10, 2016
Your headline is absolutely FALSE. She was on 'the view' program and denied that the building where her business resides has an X . The building next to hers Yes, but not hers & when she asked the landlord, she was informed that it was been taken care of.
If you can take your time to write a long article you can take time to get the facts straight. This is disservice to her & other victims; get your facts straight!

8 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by brainbox1000(m): 7:06am On Sep 10, 2016
God will help us

1 Like

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by piquanciousMe: 7:06am On Sep 10, 2016
It's so unfortunate and disheartened

The question is what is the government planing for individuals affected.

A country where nothing works only the government.........

1 Like

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by ogene007: 7:08am On Sep 10, 2016
blueseacats:
We Nigerians think we are smart about everything, if Lagos state government should do their job 50% of houses you think are legal would be brought down.

After 2 years of purchasing a piece of land a friend have continued to build temporary buildings on the land and still waiting for his papers to perfect before he starts a full construction, and according to him he will wait no matter how long it takes.

His friends who have properties around his area have already built and moved into government lands, ( government acquisition) mocking him thinking he does not have money to build. Wisdom is really scarce.

But let me not forget to say that lagos state is not doing a good job about educating the public when it comes to regional planning at all.
Question. Is demolition of businesses the best way for a government to act during a recession? Wisdom is needed here by the LASG.

3 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by omonla10(m): 7:09am On Sep 10, 2016
The 2nd to the last paragraph says it all.. She has, inspite of all the setback, bounced back.. Rather than waiting to be pitied.. May God help her surpass her previous Heights.

2 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Nairadays: 7:14am On Sep 10, 2016
Hmmmm, painful to say the least. My heart goes out to those affected.
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 10, 2016
ogene007:

Question. Is demolition of businesses the best way for a government to act during a recession? Wisdom is needed here by the LASG.
Depends on how you look at it , sentiments like this is the reason aerial view of lagos and other parts of Nigeria looks like slum . A combination of buildings in the wrong places lead to flooding and, flooding leads to a lot of different things which slows economic activities in a way that erodes whatever economic benefits those building provide. If you look at people's disregard for laws at times, it requires iron fist to teach them a lesson, a guy just bought and he is building a house in the middle of a canal in my area. By the time government comes, he already have businesses there but on the master plan his house is still a canal.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Trapnews: 7:24am On Sep 10, 2016
undecided
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Abbeyme: 7:26am On Sep 10, 2016
The estate agent that got the tenants the apartment tho...
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by mamajaz(f): 7:54am On Sep 10, 2016
OLAplusONE:
The gods are not to blame.... Only God knows why Nigerians can't read simple instructions, here in Ibadan I still see people living in structures that are sited close to d railway line and marked X, so when demolition comes they will still blame the government... Isshh
Bro ' Lalekan

1 Like

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by dridowu: 8:01am On Sep 10, 2016
Ok

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by eph12(m): 8:19am On Sep 10, 2016
blueseacats:

2 years waiting and you think that's okay? So government can take 2+ years to issue permit but don't have the patience of waiting to demolish buildings? If they can waste 2+ years issuing permit then they should be able to wait 5 years before demolishing. Arrant nonsense

1 Like

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Baroba(m): 8:51am On Sep 10, 2016
Please go and watch Ada Osakwe ( Nuli Juice) and Nike Majekodumni ( Nuts about Cakes) interview with Ebuka Uchendu (Rubbing Minds) on YouTube to get the full picture.. The landlord told Nike he is sorting out the issue with the authorities after she got concerned regarding the 'X' marked on the premises, he even demanded for rent afterwards just to reassure her sort off.... Nike and Ada are two highly cerebral business women and I have no doubt they will bounce back even stronger and more determined..

2 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 10, 2016
eph12:

2 years waiting and you think that's okay? So government can take 2+ years to issue permit but don't have the patience of waiting to demolish buildings? If they can waste 2+ years issuing permit then they should be able to wait 5 years before demolishing. Arrant nonsense
Nobody is saying two years is okay, that's the system nobody likes to deal with, the Bureaucracy is too much, that still don't warrant anyone to break it, moreover you and I don't know how long the notice has been given, I remember tinubu's government ( don't like that man though )bringing out eviction notice issued 8 years before demolishing npa slum (behind barbeach ), the people living there during the demolition knew nothing about the warning but those who were their 8 year prior knew.

Like I said, government does not use proper information channels, just one radio warning is enough to shut up anybody who claims ignorant.

I don't like the way this government operates and like you said it's nonsense, but how to stop it is not by ranting online, perfect your documents , or be an activist to change it that's how other countries became great, people die for it to happen .

4 Likes

Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by Nobody: 9:03am On Sep 10, 2016
cool

Okay..

What next ?
Re: Nuli Juice Update: Tenants Were Actually Aware Of The "X" Sign On The Structure by ALVA001: 9:51am On Sep 10, 2016
OLAplusONE:
do you live in Akobo, around A3 hotels.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Call Us For Your Plumbing Job .. / Resident Expresses Concern As Work Continues On A Partially Collapsed Building / When A Tenant Deliberately Refuses To Pay Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.