Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,459 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam (5423 Views)

Dealing With The Fitnah (temptation) Of Women / Palm Wine In Islam / Cousin Marriage in Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 09, 2016
Allaah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) honoured women greatly. He honours them as daughters, mothers and wives, and gives them rights and virtues, and enjoins good treatment in ways that are not shared by men in many cases grin.

Prior to Islam, women were treated as chattels and objects. They were inherited like goods and chattels, and could be left suspended, being neither married nor divorced. A woman would have to wait for a year after her husband’s death, neither washing nor going out of the house, until birds and animals would die from her foul smell! Women were not allowed to inherit, let alone the fact that they could be buried alive, and many other things.

Then Islam came and:

•Stipulated that both men and women are equal in the eyes of Allah. If a man does good he is rewarded and if a woman does good, she is rewarded as well and vise versa.

•Forbade burying females alive; it regarded that as murder, which is a major sin.

•It commanded that women should be honoured as wives, daughters and as mothers, and made the mother’s rights three times greater than those of the father. It forbade inheriting women, forcing women to marry against their will and many other things.

Islam made women a means of gaining entry into paradise- Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Whoever has three daughters and he cares for them, he is merciful to them, and he clothes them, then Paradise is certainly required for him.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allah, what if he has only two?” The Prophet said, “Even two.” Some people thought that if they had said to him one, the Prophet would have said even one. Source: Musnad Ahmad 13835. The same also applies for mothers whom paradise lies beneath their foot.

•Commanded men to treat women with compassion and kindness. Men are protectors and maintainers of women. Men are commanded not to harm their wives (for example), this includes all form of physical and emotional abuse.

•It forbade leaving women suspended as a result of vows or making one's wife haraam by means of zihaar [a jaahili form of divorce in which the husband said to his wife, ‘You are to me as my mother’s back’; intimacy thus became forbidden, but the woman was not divorced completely and was not free to enter into a new marriage - Translator].

•Whilst in some cultures women aren’t allowed to inherit or even remarry after her husband's death or getting divorced, Islam gave women their share of inheritance, and stipulated an ‘iddah of four months and ten days after the death of her husband, during which she could bathe, change her clothes and see other women and her mahrams. She is also allowed also remarry after the iddah period.

Islam allowed women to buy, sell, and own property, and encouraged them to seek knowledge and call people to Allaah. Even after getting married, a woman is entitled to her wealth and does not have to give any of it to her husband but he is obligated to spend on her grin

•Women have more rights to custody of children after a divorce (as long as she does not remarry) until they are mature enough to decide who they wan to live with.

•One of my personal favorite is the marriage contract where women are allowed to stipulate rules grin such as if a divorce was to take place, the man will give her X amount of his wealth, or he would give her certain monthly allowance or not marry a second wife whilst being married to her.

The list only includes a fraction of women’s rights in Islam. If I were to go in detail, it would take me the entire day because then I will have to include specific rights of mothers, daughters, and wives.
So feel free to add yours to the list.

I should probably also make a list for men to be fair to both genders grin

Sources:
https://islamqa.info/en/40405
http://www.islamswomen.com/articles/do_muslim_women_have_rights.php
https://islamqa.info/en/171456

26 Likes 7 Shares

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by EazyMoh(m): 9:00pm On Sep 09, 2016
Op may Allah bless you abundantly. Creating awareness about the awesomeness of Islam is a task that must be done.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 10, 2016
EazyMoh:
Op may Allah bless you abundantly. Creating awareness about the awesomeness of Islam is a task that must be done.

Tahanks for your kind words. May Allah bless you too.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by tintingz(m): 4:25pm On Sep 10, 2016
This is really nice. Weldon Sister.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 16, 2016
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by MDsambo: 11:19am On Sep 16, 2016
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by asarebabson: 11:28am On Sep 16, 2016
Are these rights of women duely observed by men (husbands & parents) or are the women in Islam even aware of these enormous rights?

Nice one sha but to be fair on ur part will keep my fingers crossed to see gender balanced reporting. Lolz

3 Likes

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Musharraf: 11:29am On Sep 16, 2016
JazakiLLAHU khayran
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by NOETHNICITY(m): 11:32am On Sep 16, 2016
Gjk
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Yustash001(m): 11:36am On Sep 16, 2016
Interesting.....jazakumullahu khairan@the OP
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Hdz4luv: 11:40am On Sep 16, 2016
Nice thread, may Allah grant u paradise as u continuously educate pple

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by komododragons: 11:48am On Sep 16, 2016
I thought islam classify women as either white or black dog?

all this women right bla bla bla bla!
go to Saudi Arabian were them don't even see women as human talk less of here were ya people got all the whole freedom but can't utilize it.

8 Likes

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by valslove8715(f): 11:51am On Sep 16, 2016
Jazakilfah Khairan. Robbi zidni ilma
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by nitt: 11:53am On Sep 16, 2016
Jazakhallar Khair.

more of this enlightened articles n teachings for the umma.

A lot of misinformation and ignorance of the woman's rights in Islam is rife today

at op, more of same and may Allah bless you and grant you your heart's desires today n forever.. ameen

1 Like

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Sarcasm01: 11:58am On Sep 16, 2016
Jazakallah khaeran jaza
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 16, 2016
komododragons:

[b]go to Saudi Arabian were them don't even see women as human [/b]talk less of here were ya people got all the whole freedom but can't utilize it.

That's completely a misconception.
I have been to Saudi Arabia and met Saudi women. Majority of them have a great life. The are respected and treated as princesses- have maids, drivers, spend time shopping in malls, have access to education. The women are doing great things.
In fact, the first time I heard about the rights Muslim women had to a marriage contract was from an American woman who married a Saudi man.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 16, 2016
asarebabson:
Are these rights of women duely observed by men (husbands & parents) or are the women in Islam even aware of these enormous rights?

Nice one sha but to be fair on ur part will keep my fingers crossed to see gender balanced reporting. Lolz

They should be observed by the husbands and parents. The only issue is do people know?
I would say more people need to be educated. I personally never knew I had the right to state rules in a marriage contract until I came across an American woman who was married to a Saudi man. I was shocked because I never knew I had the rights to such.

Islam has given women the rights, it's up to people to follow it or not
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by EazyMoh(m): 12:52pm On Sep 16, 2016
komododragons:

go to Saudi Arabian were them don't even see women as human talk less of here were ya people got all the whole freedom but can't utilize it.
Lol! Jumping to a far away Saudi to bring propaganda. What rights are Saudi women denied compared to your barbaric ancestors' fundamental human rights violation of denying women the right to own LANDED PROPERTY still practiced in your land?
Ipad miscreant!

4 Likes

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by komododragons: 1:45pm On Sep 16, 2016
EazyMoh:

Lol! Jumping to a far away Saudi to bring propaganda. What rights are Saudi women denied compared to your barbaric ancestors' fundamental human rights violation of denying women the right to own LANDED PROPERTY still practiced in your land?
Ipad miscreant!
lolzzzz.

I don't know what you are talking about but I do know that women owns a lot of land.

have been to Saudi Arabian before so I know want I'm talking about
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by komododragons: 1:50pm On Sep 16, 2016
Contact17:

That's completely a misconception.
I have been to Saudi Arabia and met Saudi women. Majority of them have a great life. The are respected and treated as princesses- have maids, drivers, spend time shopping in malls, have access to education. The women are doing great things.
In fact, the first time I heard about the rights Muslim women had to a marriage contract was from an American woman who married a Saudi man.
which Saudi are you talking about?

have been to that place before on a business summit and I have seen how there are treating women.

the only reasonable law is just that the married woman have have full control of there house.
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by kukandaka: 1:56pm On Sep 16, 2016
Masha Allah.
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Caseless: 2:32pm On Sep 16, 2016
Tell them...
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Zeinymira(f): 3:00pm On Sep 16, 2016
hmm, everyone have been to Saudi grin. Op jazakumullahu khayran
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 16, 2016
Zeinymira:
hmm, everyone have been to Saudi grin. Op jazakumullahu khayran

wa iyyaki

Your comment made me laugh grin lol
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Muhsinkhan(m): 4:34pm On Sep 16, 2016
The Prophet said: The best of you are those who are best to their women.
Also on the issue of forced marriage, there is a hadith of the Prophet that says: The matron(previously married woman) has more rights regarding herself and the virgin's consent must be sought and her consent is her silence. Thus, it is not proper to compel a woman into marriage where she doesn't approve.

2 Likes

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Shabib(m): 4:38pm On Sep 16, 2016
EazyMoh:

I reiterate. Nice one, op.
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by BetaThings: 4:07am On Sep 17, 2016
komododragons:
which Saudi are you talking about?

have been to that place before on a business summit and I have seen how there are treating women.

the only reasonable law is just that the married woman have have full control of there house.

Business or cultural summit?
So while you were in the conference hall, you had the opportunity to visit several homes in different cities to observe how women are treated?

A lot of Nigerians graduates living in Nigeria since they were born don't even know so much about their country

So how come widows marry women in the SE to have boys that will enable them preserve their right of inheritance of their late husbands' property

And how many Nigerians over 20 know this

You attend a business summit of less than 20 days in Saudi and you become an authority on Saudi culture

Anyway the best way to throw a Christian into depression is to point out the bautful things about Islam which the religion of propaganda and myth have spent millions of dollars to bury

Their quick solution is to reach for the anti-depressant - contest the story; point to ills of some phantom Saudi ills as if that is the only Muslim country or while awaiting their flights to UAE, Qatar, Malaysia etc to be called quickly post on Nairaland that Muslims are murderers

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by abduolaye(m): 6:41am On Sep 17, 2016
God bless Sister
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Usernamesucks: 1:26pm On Sep 17, 2016
Contact17:

•One of my personal favorite is the marriage contract where women are allowed to stipulate rules grin such as if a divorce was to take place, the man will give her X amount of his wealth, or he would give her certain monthly allowance or not marry a second wife whilst being married to her.

Jazaki Allah khairan. One quick question please. Must the stipulated rules be in a written form just like in a business arrangement? Or a verbal agreement is enough?
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 17, 2016
Usernamesucks:

Jazaki Allah khairan. One quick question please. Must the stipulated rules be in a written form just like in a business arrangement? Or a verbal agreement is enough?

It mustn't be in written form to be valid but it is much better and formal if it's written.
Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Usernamesucks: 5:05pm On Sep 17, 2016
Contact17:

It mustn't be in written form to be valid but it is much better and formal if it's written.
Jazaki Allah khairan. It's a contract. I rather it's written. One can't be too careful you know smiley

1 Like

Re: An Overview Of Women’s Right In Islam by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 14, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Ruling On Zakaat Al-fitr And How Much Is To Be Paid? / What Is The Ability To Marry In Islam? / Islam And Terrorist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.