Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (19582 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by pippimp(m): 6:26am On Sep 12, 2016
Vorpal:
I just hope they don't phase out manual gears, cause that day, i will totally lose interest in driving henceforth.

Am still yet to get comfortable with automatic, it feels so odd and banal.

Take for example, i am moving at gear 3, so i want to overtake a long vehicle on time, i will proceed with the 3, then switch to gear 4 for a short time , then switch back to 3 and stomp on the gas pedal enough that jolts the speed up then when the gear has revved up enough put it back to 4, voilà!

How odd will it be pulling that trick on an automatic, if possible sef?

Una never jam. Which kain automatic una de drive for Nigeria wey no go allow you overtake "long vehicle" on time? I can't believe in 2016, Nigerians are still talking about manual shift. God forbid. Don't get me wrong, other countries still use manual but you will only find maybe one citizen out of 20 million doing so.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by megawax8: 6:27am On Sep 12, 2016
As much as I love the control the manual offers, one has to take into cognizance the road s/he is driving on. For the average Lagos road and traffic, abeg, I'd prefer an automatic transmission. I once had a muscle pull while on traffic cos of the constant clutching.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by GoodSide: 6:28am On Sep 12, 2016
heres why
globally

it is known

manual transmission cheap cars
auto transmission xpensive ish

its just like comparing casette player in camry 2.2 to the latest gps/dvd player in range sports.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by EagleScribes: 6:29am On Sep 12, 2016
I'm still waiting for oga Gazzuzz
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by megawax8: 6:33am On Sep 12, 2016
So many persons just put the car in 'drive' and drive. How many persons know the function of the '1', '2', & '3' in some automatic transmission gear system? You can overtake anything if you know your way around driving. Automatic still offers some form of control.

2 Likes

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by bighorlus(m): 6:37am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Yeah, medicated lenses. grin Don't be scared smiley

A fine lady.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 12, 2016
bighorlus:

A fine lady.

Thank you smiley
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Arewa12: 6:38am On Sep 12, 2016
nurey:
Those of you beating chest on top manual just drive from Ajah to ikorodu in the evening for a month and come back to me and let's know how far.

As much as I love manual before even buying a car there are certain factors I must look at. I can't drive manual in traffic for too long it gives me "paja paja" if you don't know the meaning ask baba tawa the taxi driver

guy wetin u dey talk, how manual take affect "kill dog kill dog"... mayb u don tire for work... All this Hyundia nd kia most of the one's wey my guys dey drive na manual from Ajah - ikeja, Agric and co na their bobos dey crash... All dis danfo bois self prefer manual... I just love racing nd manual gives me what I want...
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by crypta007(m): 6:39am On Sep 12, 2016
Manual is the best when it comes to stunt driving , overtaking with split and what have u, but for comfort with regards to lagos traffic I give to auto, Auto can just decide to play kite with ur life when overtaking a long truck while ascending a slopy dual carried road while a fully loaded truck descends d same road....hmmm that day I almost had a handshake with death.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 12, 2016
megawax8:
As much as I love the control the manual offers, one has to take into cognizance the road s/he is driving on. For the average Lagos road and traffic, abeg, I'd do prefer an automatic transmission. I once had a muscle pull while on traffic cos of the constant clutching.

Ouch! See why I hate manual?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by koxi: 6:43am On Sep 12, 2016
I've driven both and would gladly settle for automatic transmission.
The beauty of auto transmission is that you can also select it like a manual transmission (I bet some of u didn't know this).
Here's the scenario...it's a Benz c350 and the auto transmission arrangement is P-R-N-D-D1-D2.
When on regular 'D' mode and trying to do a long overtake, or u suddenly need to increase speed, either because d person u are trying to overtake is proving stubborn, just shift the gear to 'D1' you'll feel the change in sound and sudden burst of speed...as soon as you achieve your goals, return the gear back to 'D' mode immediately.
Now knowing this, which do you prefer?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by megawax8: 6:45am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Ouch! See why I hate manual?

True, somebody cannot Goan have accident cos he wants to keep driving a manual car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Arewa12: 6:47am On Sep 12, 2016
GoodSide:
heres why
globally

it is known

its just like comparing casette player in camry 2.2 to the latest gps/dvd player in range sports.

What is this one saying.... What as price got to do....u na baby for driving, Mtcheeewwww na money wey u con put na e hin con spoil show... Who can't afford Automatic Mtcheeewww E ma wo e leyi sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by 3KINGZ18: 6:47am On Sep 12, 2016
GoodSide:
heres why
globally

it is known

all sport cars use manual even the bugatti veyron so watz with manual being cheap
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by muller101(m): 6:49am On Sep 12, 2016
Vorpal:
I just hope they don't phase out manual gears, cause that day, i will totally lose interest in driving henceforth.

Am still yet to get comfortable with automatic, it feels so odd and banal.

Take for example, i am moving at gear 3, so i want to overtake a long vehicle on time, i will proceed with the 3, then switch to gear 4 for a short time , then switch back to 3 and stomp on the gas pedal enough that jolts the speed up then when the gear has revved up enough put it back to 4, voilà!

How odd will it be pulling that trick on an automatic, if possible sef?
who says u cant pull that stunt with automatic transmission.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 12, 2016
veekid:
Auto yaff taken over already

Funny thing is, years back, when I was much younger, I remember mechanics telling my dad "Oga no go near auto at all, e no good. The transmission dey always get wahala. Besides, it's for lazy people." Lol!

My mum learnt how to drive with a manual car. In case of an emergency, definitely she'll drive it. But for the fun of it, hell no! Not even if her car's faulty.

Except it's a sports car, I am not going to bother with manual transmission.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by lonelydora: 6:50am On Sep 12, 2016
Manual for highway and Automatic for city driving.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by muller101(m): 6:50am On Sep 12, 2016
3KINGZ18:
all sport cars use manual even the bugatti veyron so watz with manual being cheap
including those ones used in formula 1?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 6:51am On Sep 12, 2016
muller101:
who says u cant pull that stunt with automatic transmission.

You can, but I guess it's much easier with manual.

For instance, how do you drift with auto? undecided
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Electronzeez(m): 6:51am On Sep 12, 2016
Because I can attain gear 5 in 1 minute , I prefer manual anyday.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:
The beauty of auto transmission is that you can also select it like a manual transmission (I bet some of u didn't know this).
Here's the scenario...it's a Benz c350 and the auto transmission arrangement is P-R-N-D-D1-D2.
When on regular 'D' mode and trying to do a long overtake, or u suddenly need to increase speed, either because d person u are trying to overtake is proving stubborn, just shift the gear to 'D1' you'll feel the change in sound and sudden burst of speed...as soon as you achieve your goals, return the gear back to 'D' mode immediately.

D1 means the car won't exceed gear one. So what "burst of speed" are you talking about? undecided

Also, with automatic, it's never a good idea to change the gear while it's in motion.

3 Likes

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by 3KINGZ18: 6:55am On Sep 12, 2016
muller101:
including those ones used in formula 1?
yh man all racing use manual,those guys saying shit abt manual ain't proffesionals IF U REALLY WANT TO GET THE DRIVING FEEL TRY MANUAL
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by mamajaz(f): 6:55am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:
I, for one, won't drive a manual.

First of all, driving in Lagos traffic can be a b*tch! I can't imagine driving a manual car... with the clutching, and braking, and shifting of gear. Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls.

Secondly, I don't know when to shift. Gear one, after 5 seconds, I move to two, and I stay there till the car starts making weird noises, then I shift to three... in that manner.

After driving a car with Automatic transmission, nothing would make me drive manual.

Which would you rather drive, and why? A car with a manual transmission, or one with automatic transmission?
Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls. l love that part. Nah so my big brother was telling me that if l can't drive manual I'm just rolling tires, l just told him, to go and buy olden days Nigel phone and carry it around for his calls or travel to Ilorin from Lag on foot or horse instead of car

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by crypta007(m): 6:56am On Sep 12, 2016
Just assume u were driving and ur auto is on gear 5 then u move to d1 do u know what dat mean, what u get is no burst of speed rather burst of noise with ur speed decreasing, and means twerking for death if u r facing an oncoming trailer
koxi:

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 12, 2016
mamajaz:

Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls. l love that part. Nah so my big brother was telling me that if l can't drive manual I'm just rolling tires, l just told him, to go and buy olden days Nigel phone and carry it around for his calls or travel to Ilorin from Lag on foot or horse instead of car

Just rolling tyres cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by pek(m): 6:57am On Sep 12, 2016
Any person who has driven for a long time and really knows how to drive will definitely prefer manual transmission. When you are driving a manual transmission, you are in control. Nearly had an accident because the auto I was driving didn't change to gear four fast enough as I wanted to overtake.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Electronzeez(m): 6:57am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:

Just look at you sir , the synergy of clutch and the gear lever betters the one you highlighted.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by GoodSide: 6:58am On Sep 12, 2016
naija version
u don s3e bugatti for your street before
3KINGZ18:
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by muller101(m): 6:58am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

You can, but I guess it's much easier with manual.

For instance, how do you drift with auto? undecided
use the e brake joor.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by muller101(m): 7:00am On Sep 12, 2016
3KINGZ18:
yh man all racing use manual,those guys saying shit abt manual ain't proffesionals IF U REALLY WANT TO GET THE DRIVING FEEL TRY MANUAL
wrong. they make use of semi automatic transmission.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by mamajaz(f): 7:02am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Just rolling tyres cheesy cheesy
You are beautiful, do you sell cars or just passionate about cars, nearly all your posts are car related.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Hosts Worldwide Car Racing Organisation’s Regional Congress / How Much Is Shock Absorber / 10 Facts About Bajaj You Might Not Believe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.