Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,150 members, 7,811,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (19581 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by tyeenigga(m): 7:55am On Sep 12, 2016
Automatic is Life, stressfree but When overtaking the transmission is very slow. Imagine within town yesterday I was trying to over take but it took time.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:59am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:
I, for one, won't drive a manual.

First of all, driving in Lagos traffic can be a b*tch! I can't imagine driving a manual car... with the clutching, and braking, and shifting of gear. Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls.

Secondly, I don't know when to shift. Gear one, after 5 seconds, I move to two, and I stay there till the car starts making weird noises, then I shift to three... in that manner.

After driving a car with Automatic transmission, nothing would make me drive manual.

Which would you rather drive, and why? A car with a manual transmission, or one with automatic transmission?

you are all blinded by cars from america

the rest of europe drives manual cars

and this thing of saying traffic and shifting is nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 12, 2016
Vorpal:
I just hope they don't phase out manual gears, cause that day, i will totally lose interest in driving henceforth.

Am still yet to get comfortable with automatic, it feels so odd and banal.

Take for example, i am moving at gear 3, so i want to overtake a long vehicle on time, i will proceed with the 3, then switch to gear 4 for a short time , then switch back to 3 and stomp on the gas pedal enough that jolts the speed up then when the gear has revved up enough put it back to 4, voilà!

How odd will it be pulling that trick on an automatic, if possible sef?

Yes its possible. There are some automatic cars that also comes with manual gear shifting.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 12, 2016
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by leahcimzil: 8:04am On Sep 12, 2016
GoodSide:
heres why
globally

it is known

manual transmission cheap cars
auto transmission xpensive ish

its just like comparing casette player in camry 2.2 to the latest gps/dvd player in range sports.
you not okay bro. The most expensive cars in the world right now have stick shift. So analogy rendered a fail.

3 Likes

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ojuolu(m): 8:06am On Sep 12, 2016
I
uboma:

Your points are duly noted but my stand still remains,

cars with manual sticks cannot and will not be phased out. This is because no car manufacturer will want to loose any segment of it's market share.....

Like me, there are so many die-hard manual stick lovers. There will always be cars with manual sticks irrespective of the advances achieved technologically wise.
Boss, you are correct. I drive both and I love speed, also need the feel of control that come with manual. I have travelled with both between North and South of Nigeria and I can confirm to you that anyday any time, Manual rock.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 12, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

you are all blinded by cars from america

the rest of europe drives manual cars

and this thing of saying traffic and shifting is nonsense

We aren't fighting, sweetie. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

To each, his own.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 12, 2016
poyet:
In high traffic cities like Lagos, Port Harcourt and some parts of Abuja, I prefer auto because of the stress of clutching and shifting gears every now and then. Apart from this, manual rocks my because you exercise all parts of the body in the driving process, unlike auto that you just sit there like a dumb ass using one leg to accelerate, then take it off and brake with the same leg!

You get bad mouth ô. Chai! That's what my dad says... "automatic was invented for the handicapped".

2 Likes

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ojuolu(m): 8:09am On Sep 12, 2016
moyo1993:

Yes its possible. There are some automatic cars that also comes with manual gear shifting.
like some recent model of Avensis in Toyota? Complex in shifts between manual and automatic and not completely put you in control. I have driven one on a stretch of 9 hours, so I know the feel. Manual my choice any day any time.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 12, 2016
All i can say is, there are cars with both transmissions. Yes i mean automatic and at the same time manual shifts. So just buy one and you can always enjoy both transmission at the same time. That car was bought recently by a friend and i can say it was a great experience driving a car with both the automatic and manual transmission.

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:13am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

We aren't fighting, sweetie. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

To each, his own.

never said your opinion is wrong

was just pointing out, the other side you dont see

i.e the rest of europe is manual drive and of cause we find congestation but it never makes people change from manual to automatic

we even have an option when taking a licence, having an automatic car licence or a manual

having a manual means i can drive a automatic with 2 minutes of learning whereas with automatic i have to go back to learn and tested then get the manual licence

2 Likes

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:19am On Sep 12, 2016
moyo1993:
All i can say is, there are cars with both transmissions. Yes i mean automatic and at the same time manual shifts. So just buy one and you can always enjoy both transmission at the same time. That car was bought recently by a friend and i can say it was a great experience driving a car with both the automatic and manual transmission.

remember manual shift of an automatic and of manual car are totally different

shifting of a manual you depress the clutch and shift into the gear you want

the with semi automatic you just push the lever into next gear more like sequential gear box you cant jump from 1 to 3 you follow the sequence 12345 whereas with a manual i can jump from 1 to 3

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Emeka71(m): 8:33am On Sep 12, 2016
I prefer manual cars because I love changing gears.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by GoodSide: 8:43am On Sep 12, 2016
abeg ppl wey no get car.no come dey attack me for here.go buy ps dey play abeg.
leahcimzil:

you not okay br1o. The most expensive cars in the world right now have stick shift. So analogy rendered a fail.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 12, 2016
nurey:
Those of you beating chest on top manual just drive from Ajah to ikorodu in the evening for a month and come back to me and let's know how far.

As much as I love manual before even buying a car there are certain factors I must look at. I can't drive manual in traffic for too long it gives me "paja paja" if you don't know the meaning ask baba tawa the taxi driver

Surprisingly it's auto transmission that gives me "paja paja" , with the manual transmission both legs are working and it feels like I'm actually exercising but auto has only one leg working so I tend to feel stressed on my right leg. Maybe I'll start driving like Brazilians who use both legs to drive auto , left leg for the brakes alone while the right for the throttle.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 12, 2016
moyo1993:

It's called Manumatic which isn't truly a manual drive
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Jamo164: 8:52am On Sep 12, 2016
Are you serious right now undecided
TAXMASTER:
Manual all the way,Manual transmission is for real men and not for Sissys.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by leahcimzil: 8:55am On Sep 12, 2016
GoodSide:
abeg ppl wey no get car.no come dey attack me for here.go buy ps dey play abeg.
lmaooo. I tire for Nairaland. Lol nigha yu don't even know me. Lol smh. i'll just be quiet
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by koxi: 8:59am On Sep 12, 2016
Electronzeez:

Just look at you sir , the synergy of clutch and the gear lever betters the one you highlighted.

Is that what you think? I guess so...
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by alikipo: 9:02am On Sep 12, 2016
Manual cars are more preferable interms of speed limits,by not exceeding the highest(changing the gear to the highest).
Its hard to fall @ sleep when driving a manuel car,because changing of the gear puts you on a constant check.
Manuel cars are easy to control especially for learners unlike automatic interms of applying brake.
Once you learn driving with a manuel car,its easier for you to drive an automatic car.But if its the other way,then try to go for a driving school again(lol).
Automatic are for handicaps(lol),majority of Nigerians like it the hard way.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by koxi: 9:03am On Sep 12, 2016
crypta007:
Just assume u were driving and ur auto is on gear 5 then u move to d1 do u know what dat mean, what u get is no burst of speed rather burst of noise with ur speed decreasing, and means twerking for death if u r facing an oncoming trailer

You obviously don't know what you are saying. I'm not telling you what I think, I'm telling you Wat I do EVERY DAY. Unless of course ur own car wit auto transmission has a faulty gearbox
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by wizjid69: 9:03am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Dangerous? How?

I wonder. I know that changing gears is second nature. It's not difficult at all.
It is used by professional racers so it has better control and quicker reaction time than automatic transmission.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by koxi: 9:07am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

D1 means the car won't exceed gear one. So what "burst of speed" are you talking about? undecided

Also, with automatic, it's never a good idea to change the gear while it's in motion.

shocked shocked shocked blood of god! !!
Hello sir Wat are you saying?!
D1 means gear won't exceed gear 1?
You don't know what you are saying & obviously haven't tried it.
Just ask Google
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:

shocked shocked shocked blood of god! !!
Hello sir Wat are you saying?!
D1 means gear won't exceed gear 1?
You don't know what you are saying & obviously haven't tried it.
Just ask Google

I may not know too much about cars, but what I know, I know well enough.

Cheers! smiley

Oh, and by the way, I'm not a "sir".

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by greggng: 9:32am On Sep 12, 2016
Am surprise someone is still talking abt manual in this jet age. Manual is good if u do transport business.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Mrtesso: 9:34am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:
I've driven both and would gladly settle for automatic transmission.
The beauty of auto transmission is that you can also select it like a manual transmission (I bet some of u didn't know this).
Here's the scenario...it's a Benz c350 and the auto transmission arrangement is P-R-N-D-D1-D2.
When on regular 'D' mode and trying to do a long overtake, or u suddenly need to increase speed, either because d person u are trying to overtake is proving stubborn, just shift the gear to 'D1' you'll feel the change in sound and sudden burst of speed...as soon as you achieve your goals, return the gear back to 'D' mode immediately.
Now knowing this, which do you prefer?

Bro, which year model of c350 is that? And do u seriously mean down shifting to [D1] to overtake? Is that feasible?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Mrtesso: 9:38am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:

You obviously don't know what you are saying. I'm not telling you what I think, I'm telling you Wat I do EVERY DAY. Unless of course ur own car wit auto transmission has a faulty gearbox

What kind of car do u drive sir? That might help us understand ur "kind" of auto transmission. cheesy
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by koxi: 9:42am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

I may not know too much about cars, but what I know, I know well enough.

Cheers! smiley

Oh, and by the way, I'm not a "sir".

Hello ma, there's only one way to find out...
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by GOFRONT(m): 9:43am On Sep 12, 2016
Auto transmission sure pass!!!.....These dayz to drive pops Carina E is a stress....But wenva I mount his highlander, it's like am in heaven
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by koxi: 9:44am On Sep 12, 2016
Mrtesso:

Bro, which year model of c350 is that? And do u seriously mean down shifting to [D1] to overtake? Is that feasible?

I guess there's just one way to find out...if u stay around edo/delta I'd prefer to show u practically
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 12, 2016
koxi:

Hello ma, there's only one way to find out...

Which is...? smiley
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by peterbello(m): 9:51am On Sep 12, 2016
Vorpal:
I just hope they don't phase out manual gears, cause that day, i will totally lose interest in driving henceforth.

Am still yet to get comfortable with automatic, it feels so odd and banal.

Take for example, i am moving at gear 3, so i want to overtake a long vehicle on time, i will proceed with the 3, then switch to gear 4 for a short time , then switch back to 3 and stomp on the gas pedal enough that jolts the speed up then when the gear has revved up enough put it back to 4, voilà!

How odd will it be pulling that trick on an automatic, if possible sef?

it's very possible on the automatic. That's what your D2 gear position is for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Hosts Worldwide Car Racing Organisation’s Regional Congress / How Much Is Shock Absorber / 10 Facts About Bajaj You Might Not Believe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.