Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda (5374 Views)

Which Oil Can I Use To Service My Gear / Why Does My Honda Accord Consume More Fuel Than It's Counterparts / Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by Rahym001(m): 9:59am On Sep 11, 2016
i bought Total Quarts 5000 20w50 and now my engine smokes. But^when i start the car it dosent smoke. Pls which is the best oil i can use to try stop the smoke.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 10:35am On Sep 11, 2016
Rahym001:
i bought Total Quarts 5000 20w50 and now my engine smokes. But^when i start the car it dosent smoke. Pls which is the best oil i can use to try stop the smoke.
Though u fail to mention your car model for me to determine the right oil u need but i need to empahsize on the issue of smoking .
Smoking(white smoke) is an indication of leak of oil into your cylinder combustion chamber .This due to use of wrong oil as 20w50 is totally wrong oil to use for your car ,to confirm what kind of leak you have u need to go for cylinder compression test for your engine to determine if the leak is a wear and tear on the piston ring or valves. Don't think of changing oil yet until u have confirmed what is responsible for the white smoke .
If you are in Lagos and u need a reputable workshop to run the cylinder compression test to determine what is responsible for the while smoke ,call autologic @ @08061166316
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by Rahym001(m): 3:50pm On Sep 11, 2016
honmusa:

Though u fail to mention your car model for me to determine the right oil u need but i need to empahsize on the issue of smoking .
Smoking(white smoke) is an indication of leak of oil into your cylinder combustion chamber .This due to use of wrong oil as 20w50 is totally wrong oil to use for your car ,to confirm what kind of leak you have u need to go for cylinder compression test for your engine to determine if the leak is a wear and tear on the piston ring or valves. Don't think of changing oil yet until u have confirmed what is responsible for the white smoke .
If you are in Lagos and u need a reputable workshop to run the cylinder compression test to determine what is responsible for the while smoke ,call autologic @ @08061166316

its a Honda henessey 2000 model, just started noticing it when i changed the oil
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by pek(m): 2:36pm On Sep 12, 2016
Your car uses 5W-30.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by Aidenehi: 7:59pm On Sep 12, 2016
Call for inquires 08171449656

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by Rahym001(m): 3:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
pek:
Your car uses 5W-30.
pls how did u get to know or Do all Honda hennessy 98 to 2002 use 5w30
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by EMIOMOADEOYE: 3:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
Rahym001:

Most Modern Car Engines use 5w-30. Again if you check the oil cover in your engine bay, you would see 5w-30 inscribed on it.

Its quite expensive but then again the repairs you would be forced to make for using the wrong oil is far more expensive.

Just walk into a serious looking Mobil filling station and ask for 5w-30. A gallon would cost you about 14-17k. You may need to buy 2.

Plus you'll have to drain all your old oil, change your filters and maybe do some small conditioning.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by Rahym001(m): 4:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
EMIOMOADEOYE:

Most Modern Car Engines use 5w-30. Again if you check the oil cover in your engine bay, you would see 5w-30 inscribed on it.

Its quite expensive but then again the repairs you would be forced to make for using the wrong oil is far more expensive.

Just walk into a serious looking Mobil filling station and ask for 5w-30. A gallon would cost you about 14-17k. You may need to buy 2.

Plus you'll have to drain all your old oil, change your filters and maybe do some small conditioning.
thanks a million never really^knew this, but in my location right now no Mobile filing station apart from mobile can u recommend another good oil; and please what do you mean by conditioning? Thanks
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by pek(m): 5:43am On Sep 14, 2016
Rahym001:

Check the oil cap. It is written there.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by Rahym001(m): 5:47am On Sep 14, 2016
pek:
Check the oil cap. It is written there.

thanks
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by pek(m): 5:55am On Sep 14, 2016
Rahym001:

thanks
You can order online from jumia or konga or solution plus.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 6:12am On Sep 14, 2016
Rahym001:
thanks a million never really^knew this, but in my location right now no Mobile filing station apart from mobile can u recommend another good oil; and please what do you mean by conditioning? Thanks
I won't advice you switch to 5w30 oil as the oil will just be shorting as your engine is already conditioned to wrong oil (20w50)(engine is already smoking ) ,maintain your 20w50 until you change engine.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by EMIOMOADEOYE: 9:33am On Sep 14, 2016
Rahym001:

Mobil is the only station I know that sells that exact oil. I would rather buy from them than buy from Ibo boys.

By conditioning I mean you may need to do some tuning so that the Oil gets to those tiny movable parts that did not get supply of oil due to using the wrong oil
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by EMIOMOADEOYE: 9:47am On Sep 14, 2016
honmusa:

I won't advice you switch to 5w30 oil as the oil will just be shorting as your engine is already conditioned to wrong oil (20w50)(engine is already smoking ) ,maintain your 20w50 until you change engine.

That is the worst kind of advice to ever give.

Let me explain the importance of Oil grade.

20w50 actually has a meaning. 20w means that at winter temperatures as low as 20 degrees, the oil will still pour as freely as it is currently doing. If the temperature drops lower than 20 degrees, the oil will start to congeal or freeze. Now the 50 simply refers to the thickness of the oil. If you use this kind of Oil in a 5w30 engine in Nigeria, it means that the engine will have to do extra work to melt the oil down to a usable consistency. Now the average engine will have to run for hours to be able to achieve that. A car can travel as far as to Abuja and still not have done sufficient work to melt the oil to the right consistency. Now how many cars get to travel the distance of Lagos - Abuja everyday. None.
What that therefore means is that tiny movable parts in the engine will never get oiled because the oil is to thick to pass through to reach them.

A 5w30 oil means that at temperatures as low a 5 degrees, the oil will still pour freely. The 30 part refers again to the thickness of the oil.

If you were to pour a 20w50 and a 5w30, you would notice a major difference in the thickness of both oil. The former is thicker and heavier that the latter.

If you were to stick to 20w50, what will happen is that you risk further damage to the engine. Using the right oil will help minimize the rate of wear and tear. If you change the oil and do a proper tuning, you will be fine.

6 Likes

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by diportivo: 9:55am On Sep 14, 2016
EMIOMOADEOYE:

You may need to buy 2.

Why?
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by EMIOMOADEOYE: 10:18am On Sep 14, 2016
diportivo:

Why?

I'm not sure the capacity of your Oil Bay. You may need upto 2 to fill it to the right level.

But usually for my own car I buy 1 gallon and an extra 1 litre to top it off.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 12:48pm On Sep 14, 2016
EMIOMOADEOYE:

That is the worst kind of advice to ever give.

Let me explain the importance of Oil grade.

20w50 actually has a meaning. 20w means that at winter temperatures as low as 20 degrees, the oil will still pour as freely as it is currently doing. If the temperature drops lower than 20 degrees, the oil will start to congeal or freeze. Now the 50 simply refers to the thickness of the oil. If you use this kind of Oil in a 5w30 engine in Nigeria, it means that the engine will have to do extra work to melt the oil down to a usable consistency. Now the average engine will have to run for hours to be able to achieve that. A car can travel as far as to Abuja and still not have done sufficient work to melt the oil to the right consistency. Now how many cars get to travel the distance of Lagos - Abuja everyday. None.
What that therefore means is that tiny movable parts in the engine will never get oiled because the oil is to thick to pass through to reach them.

A 5w30 oil means that at temperatures as low a 5 degrees, the oil will still pour freely. The 30 part refers again to the thickness of the oil.

If you were to pour a 20w50 and a 5w30, you would notice a major difference in the thickness of both oil. The former is thicker and heavier that the latter.

If you were to stick to 20w50, what will happen is that you risk further damage to the engine. Using the right oil will help minimize the rate of wear and tear. If you change the oil and do a proper tuning, you will be fine.
Teaching me about oil grade ? cheesy :Dthat is the best joke of the year of the year for me.This is like giving a monkey a lesson on how to climb tree. Same topic I have been teaching my students many years back before most u guys were born
I am actually a dealer of full synthetic oil 5w30 and 5w20(Lubex brand) with two automobile workshop under my control in Lagos.
Since i am a dealer of 5w30 it is much easier for me to the recommend my own 5w30(Lubex) to the op but I will be going against my principle if I should do that as I will always tell u the the reality no matter what .
The op engine is already smoking and the damage has been done and u are still insisting that the guy should use 5w30 which is a lighter oil .
Engine smoking implies that 20w50 has already done it damage to the engine to the extend that it oil is now getting into the combustion chamber ,therefore switching to 5w30 which is a lighter oil is the worst advice u can give now cos the oil will just disappearing at a faster rate into the combustion chamber than the 20w50 u have there before because of the lightness. This can which can cause the engine to knock if the op decide to go on a long journey as the engine can can run out of oil .
The op can revert to 5w30 wen he has gotten a new tokunbo engine or let him go ahead to run a compression test to ascertain the reason for the engine smoking .so for now 5w30 is out of the picture
Bros ,u till have a lot to learn,lot of internet mechanic u found on Nairaland this days always eager to show skill grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 1:40pm On Sep 14, 2016
Rahym001:
Switching to 5w30 which cost 14k is a very expensive option for you for a engine that is already smoking after many years of using 20w50 .Check the reason for the smoking first to make a good decision .
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by Rahym001(m): 7:33am On Sep 15, 2016
honmusa:

change engine? Does it mean i cannot embark on a journey with the can until i change engine, cos i intended travelling soon as i don't have the cash to change engine now.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 7:55am On Sep 15, 2016
Rahym001:

change engine? Does it mean i cannot embark on a journey with the can until i change engine, cos i intended travelling soon as i don't have the cash to change engine now.
pls don't get me wrong o,u can reread my earlier statement to comprehend better .I said before u can change to 5w30 , u will need to do a compression test to check if your piston ring is still intact so that u don't start using the 5w30 oil and it will be leaking right into your combustion chamber if you have a worn piston ring .and also the oil will be shorting .
Otherwise just stick with your 20W50.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by EMIOMOADEOYE: 9:24am On Sep 15, 2016
honmusa:

Teaching me about oil grade ? cheesy :Dthat is the best joke of the year of the year for me.This is like giving a monkey a lesson on how to climb tree. Same topic I have been teaching my students many years back before most u guys were born
I am actually a dealer of full synthetic oil 5w30 and 5w20(Lubex brand) with two automobile workshop under my control in Lagos.
Since i am a dealer of 5w30 it is much easier for me to the recommend my own 5w30(Lubex) to the op but I will be going against my principle if I should do that as I will always tell u the the reality no matter what .
The op engine is already smoking and the damage has been done and u are still insisting that the guy should use 5w30 which is a lighter oil .
Engine smoking implies that 20w50 has already done it damage to the engine to the extend that it oil is now getting into the combustion chamber ,therefore switching to 5w30 which is a lighter oil is the worst advice u can give now cos the oil will just disappearing at a faster rate into the combustion chamber than the 20w50 u have there before because of the lightness. This can which can cause the engine to knock if the op decide to go on a long journey as the engine can can run out of oil .
The op can revert to 5w30 wen he has gotten a new tokunbo engine or let him go ahead to run a compression test to ascertain the reason for the engine smoking .so for now 5w30 is out of the picture
Bros ,u till have a lot to learn,lot of internet mechanic u found on Nairaland this days always eager to show skill grin grin

First,
I never said I was a mechanic.

Second
Remember that when you point an accusing finger, at least three fingers are pointing back at you. If you call me an eager internet mechanic eager to show skill then I'm wondering what it is you just did. If there is anyone of us who has been more vocal and eager to show skill, it is you as demonstrated by this your unnecessary epistle.

Third
Even if you were a mechanic, I would seriously doubt your expertise. All the OP said was that his car started smoking after he bought a particular oil. You went straight ahead to assume the color of smoke. The OP never mentioned anything about white smoke. All he just said was the car was smoking. A car can smoke due to several number of reasons. Oil leaking into the combustion chamber is only one of the many reasons a car can smoke. The smoke may not even be connected to the oil at all. He never even mentioned anything about dropping oil levels. So where the hell did you get your own assumptions from? I am quite sure the automobile shop you claim to control is probably the lube bay in a filling station.

Fourth
Even though I am not a mechanic, I know a few things about car engines. I may not be Albert Einstein, but at least I know the basics. If Oil is leaking into your combustion chamber (PLEASE MECHANICS IN THE HOUSE, HELP ME OUT HERE) is it not a simple matter of checking the seals on the valves and pistons and in the case of a Honda engine, the O-rings? How does that signify engine damage? He did not say the engine is rattling. He did not say there is any funny knocking sound coming from the engine. He did not even mention anything that sounds like loss of power. So why go so far as to assume the worst?

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 9:37am On Sep 15, 2016
EMIOMOADEOYE:

First,
I never said I was a mechanic.

Second
Remember that when you point an accusing finger, at least three fingers are pointing back at you. If you call me an eager internet mechanic eager to show skill then I'm wondering what it is you just did. If there is anyone of us who has been more vocal and eager to show skill, it is you as demonstrated by this your unnecessary epistle.

Third
Even if you were a mechanic, I would seriously doubt your expertise. All the OP said was that his car started smoking after he bought a particular oil. You went straight ahead to assume the color of smoke. The OP never mentioned anything about white smoke. All he just said was the car was smoking. A car can smoke due to several number of reasons. Oil leaking into the combustion chamber is only one of the many reasons a car can smoke. The smoke may not even be connected to the oil at all. He never even mentioned anything about dropping oil levels. So where the hell did you get your own assumptions from? I am quite sure the automobile shop you claim to control is probably the lube bay in a filling station.

Fourth
Even though I am not a mechanic, I know a few things about car engines. I may not be Albert Einstein, but at least I know the basics. If Oil is leaking into your combustion chamber (PLEASE MECHANICS IN THE HOUSE, HELP ME OUT HERE) is it not a simple matter of checking the seals on the valves and pistons and in the case of a Honda engine, the O-rings? How does that signify engine damage? He did not say the engine is rattling. He did not say there is any funny knocking sound coming from the engine. He did not even mention anything that sounds like loss of power. So why go so far as to assume the worst?
It no use arguing with u or picking holes in your statement if your are not a professional in automobile .It just like gathering water in a basket ,I don't need the op to give me the full detail before I know what is happening ,what I just need the car model and year and the issue .This is what is called experience .You try sha for your level ,if you want to know more u can come for my ongoing training in autodiagnosis coming up soon.
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by gbeseun(m): 10:23am On Sep 15, 2016
U guys ate wonderful and I.must commend ur different expertise to me.I have read a very insightful comments here and I pray God will expand ur knowledge.
Having said that pls don't confused the op so the fact won't be heard.let him know the reason and choose the one that suit him or her.
Pls what kind of oil can I use for Camry tiny light,

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by EMIOMOADEOYE: 10:47am On Sep 15, 2016
honmusa:

It no use arguing with u or picking holes in your statement if your are not a professional in automobile .It just like gathering water in a basket ,I don't need the op to give me the full detail before I know what is happening ,what I just need the car model and year and the issue .This is what is called experience .You try sha for your level ,if you want to know more u can come for my ongoing training in auto diagnosis coming up soon.

Said like a typical trial and error mechanic.

You just happen to know Honda's so well that they give just one particular sign for every single issue they have.

Great! I wonder what you would be teaching your students in your training. How to pour engine oil in maybe a hydraulic system

1 Like

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 2:40pm On Sep 15, 2016
EMIOMOADEOYE:

Said like a typical trial and error mechanic.

You just happen to know Honda's so well that they give just one particular sign for every single issue they have.

Great! I wonder what you would be teaching your students in your training. How to pour engine oil in maybe a hydraulic system
I can never join issue with a nonetity like you ,as arguing with it is stigma on my hard earned reputation.
I will be as objective as much as possible for everybody on this forum to judge between whose advice can be listen and followed between the two of us based on antecedence .
check what I have contributed so far on Nairaland to make life better for fellow Nigeria which is why I am able to get this no of ""likes "' .
Let check what you have contributed so far since you have been on Nairaland and let compare.

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 3:11pm On Sep 15, 2016
honmusa:

I can never join issue with a nonetity like you ,as arguing with it is stigma on my hard earned reputation.
check what I have contributed so far on Nairaland to make life better to fellow nigeria which is why I am able to get this no of likes . I am sure you never earn a single ""like"" in your entire miserable life.Let check what you have so far now and let compare.
Checking your profile ,we can only see only one post which you are advertising paraga and fertillity agbo which I am sure you inherit from from your babalawo father.
Why don't you grow this paraga selling family business to achieve something in life instead of making attempt to bring down somebody well ahead of you .

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by honmusa(m): 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2016
gbeseun:
U guys ate wonderful and I.must commend ur different expertise to me.I have read a very insightful comments here and I pray God will expand ur knowledge.
Having said that pls don't confused the op so the fact won't be heard.let him know the reason and choose the one that suit him or her.
Pls what kind of oil can I use for Camry tiny light,
The recommended oil for your car is 5w30
Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by EMIOMOADEOYE: 3:40pm On Sep 15, 2016
honmusa:

check what I have contributed so far on Nairaland to make life better to fellow nigeria which is why I am able to get this no of likes . I am sure you never earn a single ""like"" in your entire miserable life.Let check what you have so far now and let compare.

Its a shame that your likes are all over the place in Nairaland.

Not once did I insult or curse you. Yet you cannot even hold your own enough that you had to descend so low as to start raining down insults and curses.

Since when did knowledge become a function of the number of likes you have? See I don't have anything to prove to the likes of you. If it rocks your boat to go ego tripping because of some lousy likes that doesn't prove anything, go ahead and trip. Its your kind of shit really.

As far as I know, the OP asked a question, I answered him and he gained some new knowledge. He even admitted his ignorance and thanked me for the enlightenment. From where I stand, I think that is a more credible proof than lousy likes.

So how's that for street cred..........or rather should I say Nairaland cred.

See......... I responded powerfully without a single insult or curse. Unlike you.

I'm sure your next response will come with yet another insult or curse. Whatever curse you rain will bounce back on you and your household 10 times over. Bear that in mind before cursing again.

4 Likes

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by USPlaceofAutos: 3:16pm On Sep 19, 2016
Have you tried DuraMAX Full Synthetic Engine Oil? It is available in 5W20, 5W30 and OW20. Visit www.usplaceofautos.com or contact 09035870964 for more info..

Re: Pls Help; Which Oil Is Best For My Honda by Avedonn: 8:13am On Feb 03, 2019
honmusa:

It no use arguing with u or picking holes in your statement if your are not a professional in automobile .It just like gathering water in a basket ,I don't need the op to give me the full detail before I know what is happening ,what I just need the car model and year and the issue .This is what is called experience .You try sha for your level ,if you want to know more u can come for my ongoing training in autodiagnosis coming up soon.

Please Honmusa aside 5w30 is there any alternative oil eg Total.

(1) (Reply)

Coastal Oil / GAC Motor GS5 Super Price And Specifications (photos) / Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.