Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,684 members, 7,955,539 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:41 AM

Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? (29457 Views)

China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth / The Mysterious And Unexplored Corners Of The Earth(Photos) / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by irewolepeter(m): 8:09pm On Sep 18, 2016
Explorers:

That's possible, but i believe advanced machineries will handle that. I think the problem is the heat, if not they would have drilled to the core with advanced equipments. By the time they drill for 5 to 10years , they will get to the core.

The question is why will you want to drill to the core?

If it's to explore for minerals, then it would not be economical in any way, besides the heat and confining pressure at great depth will crush whatever equipment drilling through no matter how sophisticated it is

Then if why you're drilling through is to image the sub surface then there are better ways of doing that e.g seismic
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tsamson(m): 8:29pm On Sep 18, 2016
Explorers:

Thats belief, just like drilling from one side of a ball to the other side, you can burst out in Australia or somewhere. Depends on where the drilling started.

Will check for the link and post it.

after wasted years of dugging from Lagos, did a mistake enroute to come out expecting to see califonia, Usa .. just to see that you are actually in Maiduguri, Nigeria...

What will you do?
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by 99thEnemy(m): 8:47pm On Sep 18, 2016
tsamson:

after wasted years of dugging from Lagos, did a mistake enroute to come out expecting to see califonia, Usa .. just to see that you are actually in Maiduguri, Nigeria...

What will you do?
grin if its in Sambisa forest. Your destiny is with uncle boko (shekau) cheesy

1 Like

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 8:47pm On Sep 18, 2016
tk4rd:
Then let's take the furking risk to the Hell Below and get extra-rich...
We need GOLD..
We need the MONEY..

I will be outside making sure dat u get enough air n water!!! if u nid food just shake d rope....

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by LugarT: 9:08pm On Sep 18, 2016
sheunsheun:
Lemme share my own little knowledge as a Geographer!!!

For the sake of people still thinking if it is possible or not, You will decide for yourself if it is possible or not after reading this.

First, you'd have to pass through 22-44 miles (35-70 kilometers) of continental crust (3-6 miles/5-10 kilometers on the ocean floor) followed by 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) of mantle. After that, you'd have to traverse a Mars-sized outer core of liquid iron churning as hot as the sun's surface (10,000 degrees F, or 5,500 degrees C), then a solid, moon-sized inner core, and, some studies suggest, a liquid innermost core.

Now for the sake of people thinking we can use it as a travelling means, probably to china or what ever, lol. Did you consider gravity? I guess you forgot that, now the question is, what happens to gravity?

We will first have to pretend the Earth is a cold, uniform, inert ball of rock. While we're at it, let's ignore air resistance.

At the Earth's surface, gravity pulls on us at 32 feet (9.8 meters) per second squared. That means that, for each second you fall, you speed up by 32 feet per second -- but only near Earth's surface. Gravity is a function of mass, and mass is a property of matter. On the surface, all of Earth's matter lies below your feet but, as you fall, more and more of it surrounds you, exerting its own gravity. These horizontal tugs counterbalance each other and cancel out, but the increasing proportion of mass above your head exerts a growing counterforce to the proportionately decreasing mass below, so your acceleration slows as you near the core. At the planet's center, your acceleration due to gravity is zero -- Earth's mass surrounds you, gravity cancels out and you are weightless

You're still moving at a heck of a clip, though, so don't expect to stop there. Halfway to the center, your speed hits 15,000 mph (24,000 kph); 21 minutes after jumping in, you blow past the center at 18,000 mph (29,000 kph). Another 21 minutes later, with gravity slowing you as you go, you reach the far side and stop briefly in midair. Unless someone catches you, you'll then head back the way you came and start all over again. In our idealized case, this will continue indefinitely, like a pendulum or a spring, in a process called harmonic motion

Of course, reality has a tendency to intrude on even the best thought experiments.

Geography is sweet na exam spoil am

Ol bwaiii.... Na wa ooo.... Even my head is spinning
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by herald9: 9:09pm On Sep 18, 2016
musicwriter:

Remember, this is an imaginary journey (not a real journey) as the temperature down the earth is too hot and can't allow physically going anything beyond 100 C.

However, to answer your question, yes, if you are able to withstand the high temperatures and keep digging, you'll come out at another country!.

This is because the earth is round like an orange- actually oval like a rugby ball. If you use a stick and pierce down through an orange, the stick would come out at another end. Its as simple as that.
@bold
Does it mean some people are under, while others are above the lithosphere of this spherical earth?

cc Johnydon22
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tsamson(m): 9:21pm On Sep 18, 2016
phranq:

I will be outside making sure dat u get enough air n water!!! if u nid food just shake d rope....

sharp guy

1 Like

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by LugarT: 9:22pm On Sep 18, 2016
planetx:
There are actually people living inside the earth they are known as inner terrestrials. The hollow earth has its own sun, seas, and vegetations, the north pole and south pole are the entry point into this hollow earth why it's both top secret military locations.

Lol... I like your comic digression from this very highly cerebral discussion.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Sep 18, 2016
herald9:

@bold
Does it mean some people are under, while others are above the lithosphere of this spherical earth?

cc Johnydon22
Have also been wondering on this for a while now as am not a science student but I think this gave me a bit explanation.

"on earth and not in earth" so considering the large size of the earth it possible the earth takes us all on it with just a little continent or countries in the curves and bends.

I carry my pen drawing and imagining for some time now

Science is sweet.. . grin
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by musicwriter(m): 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2016
herald9:

@bold

cc Johnydon22

Please read my previous post where I made the orange analogy. All countries are ontop of the earth not inside!
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Shome36(m): 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2016
very educative.... Best thread I've ever see on Nairaland
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Yinkay: 9:58pm On Sep 18, 2016
Explorers:
Everyone has wanted to dig a hole down to the center of the Earth at some time in their lives.

My friends and I tried to dig down as far as we could go. I never told them my goal, but in my heart, we were going all the way through. In the end we actually got down about 2 meters, but the bottom kept filling in with water. Of course, digging down to the centre of the Earth was always out of reach.

In order to be able to dig down to the center of the Earth, my friends and I would have needed to dig our way through 6,378km of rock, mantle, and iron. Most of this journey would be through temperatures hot enough to melt rock, getting as high as 6,726°C at the center.

So if you dug through the deepest ocean floor you could get about 0.1% of the way to the core.

The first 35 km or so of digging would be through the outer crust of the Earth. Assuming we could actually get through the solid rock, and keep water from filling back into our super deep hole, we might actually be able to make some progress through this.

The deeper you go, the higher the temperature. One of the deepest mines in the world is the TauTona gold mine in South Africa, a mere 3.6 kilometers deep.
Even though this just scratches the surface of the Earth, temperatures at the bottom of TauTona already get as high as 60°C.

Once you break through the crust, you’re into the Earth’s mantle. At this point, you’re looking at about 3,000 km of rock heated to such a high temperature that it’s a liquid.

Volcanoes are points on the Earth when magma from the mantle breaks through to the surface. How we’d dig through that, i have no idea. But let’s say we could. Then we’d break through into the core of Earth.

This region extends for another 3,500 km, and its comprised almost entirely of iron, with a little nickel, and some other trace metals. And it’s even hotter than the mantle above it. This is where temperatures get to over 6,000°C.

Assuming we could bore through the iron, and could withstand the heat, we could get down to the center of the Earth. At this point, we would have traveled 6,378 km to complete our journey. And then another 6,378 km to get through the other side and visit the friends in China.

Source: http://www.universetoday.com/15020/how-far-down-is-the-center-of-the-earth/

Read up Jules Verne novel....Journey to the centre of the Earth.....you can start from a dormant volcano anywhere, no need to dig since it is confirmed that molten lava/magma is from the earth core....
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Princejebs(m): 10:06pm On Sep 18, 2016
phranq:

Busted....these guy smart die
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by ychris: 10:17pm On Sep 18, 2016
musicwriter:

Remember, this is an imaginary journey (not a real journey) as the temperature down the earth is too hot and can't allow physically going anything beyond 100 C.

However, to answe your question, yes, if you are able to withstand the high temperatures and keep digging, you'll come out at another country!.

This is because the earth is round like an orange- actually oval like a rugby ball. If you use a stick and pierce down through an orange, the stick would come out at another end. Its as simple as that.
Beht, btw,would the person falls from the sky of other country or something?
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by herald9: 10:39pm On Sep 18, 2016
musicwriter:

Please read my previous post where I made the orange analogy. All countries are ontop of the earth not inside!
Oh! I now get it. Thanks.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by herald9: 10:44pm On Sep 18, 2016
ychris:
Nope. He is going to burst through the earth.

The 'sky' (atmosphere) is just a gaseous envelope of the earth. It surrounds the whole earth above, while we're inside it, on top the lithosphere.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by ychris: 10:44pm On Sep 18, 2016
phranq:

by the time molten magma erupts frm the core and hit u big time. u go knw cheesy
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by dansantus1986(m): 10:51pm On Sep 18, 2016
If it was to drill a hole through the earth and jump into, it will takes approximately 42minutes to get to another side , that is just assuming because you can not get to another side, you will stop at that the middle.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by musicwriter(m): 11:02pm On Sep 18, 2016
ychris:

The person would come out from under the soil and meet other people in that country. If he comes out from the river, then he have to swim of the river. He have no business with the sky, because the sky is always on top in every country..
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by mankan2k7(m): 11:16pm On Sep 18, 2016
sheunsheun:

For the sake of people still thinking if it is possible or not, You will decide for yourself if it is possible or not after reading this.

First, you'd have to pass through 22-44 miles (35-70 kilometers) of continental crust (3-6 miles/5-10 kilometers on the ocean floor) followed by 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) of mantle. After that, you'd have to traverse a Mars-sized outer core of liquid iron churning as hot as the sun's surface (10,000 degrees F, or 5,500 degrees C), then a solid, moon-sized inner core, and, some studies suggest, a liquid innermost core.

Now for the sake of people thinking we can use it as a travelling means, probably to china or what ever, lol. Did you consider gravity? I guess you forgot that, now the question is, what happens to gravity?

We will first have to pretend the Earth is a cold, uniform, inert ball of rock. While we're at it, let's ignore air resistance.

At the Earth's surface, gravity pulls on us at 32 feet (9.8 meters) per second squared. That means that, for each second you fall, you speed up by 32 feet per second -- but only near Earth's surface. Gravity is a function of mass, and mass is a property of matter. On the surface, all of Earth's matter lies below your feet but, as you fall, more and more of it surrounds you, exerting its own gravity. These horizontal tugs counterbalance each other and cancel out, but the increasing proportion of mass above your head exerts a growing counterforce to the proportionately decreasing mass below, so your acceleration slows as you near the core. At the planet's center, your acceleration due to gravity is zero -- Earth's mass surrounds you, gravity cancels out and you are weightless

You're still moving at a heck of a clip, though, so don't expect to stop there. Halfway to the center, your speed hits 15,000 mph (24,000 kph); 21 minutes after jumping in, you blow past the center at 18,000 mph (29,000 kph). Another 21 minutes later, with gravity slowing you as you go, you reach the far side and stop briefly in midair. Unless someone catches you, you'll then head back the way you came and start all over again. In our idealized case, this will continue indefinitely, like a pendulum or a spring, in a process called harmonic motion

Of course, reality has a tendency to intrude on even the best thought experiments.

What is this one saying? Abeg come down to my level

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Mrbigman1(m): 11:18pm On Sep 18, 2016
Explorers:

Lol...Didn't even touch anything relating to science in school throughout.
Could have told the guy the presence of the gold is due to the temperature, but that won't bring a better understanding like when a scientist/geologist give a better explanation.

No one knows it all bro.

I actually dnt believe ur gold and covering story though.

I wish I type from a system, I would have explained better.

And those wishing dat drilling could explore down deep, it's not possible and can never be.
Diamond tend to have the strongest formation of its atoms but diamond is at its liquid state down dia, so with what re u going to drill? And what pressure can u over come?

Pressure from ordinary artesian water bed can pull off a drill rig let more encounter gas at depth of 3km.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Nobody: 12:24am On Sep 19, 2016
mcyemite:
Master explorers,please sir am just wondering..how was all these facts derived,since it all seems like an impossible feat..?
mere scientific assumptions.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tk4rd: 5:33am On Sep 19, 2016
phranq:

grin grin You will only get a percentage of the whole gains.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Harjet(m): 5:48am On Sep 19, 2016
Dollyak:
Firstly, most planet were formed from the collisions in the giant disc-shaped cloud of material that also formed the Sun.
This also meant during the formation the earth, the high temperatures melted the precious minerals from the rocky crust, allowing for the minerals to solidify after it seeped down into the earth's mantle. This took with it the vast majority of the planet's precious metals – such as gold and platinum.
Woow! This is brilliant! Who are you?
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by DOD1: 6:06am On Sep 19, 2016
sheunsheun:

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by profeoo(m): 8:37am On Sep 19, 2016
Mcoldsoja:
If dem no fit drill reach centre, how dem take kno wetin dey inside di earth?
They employed a process known seismic,a process where waves are sent to the earth thus generating feedbacks which are interpreted.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by sheunsheun(m): 8:59am On Sep 19, 2016
mankan2k7:

What is this one saying? Abeg come down to my level

Lol, if you are patient enough to read word for word you will surely understand
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by VaginaTerrorist(m): 10:05am On Sep 19, 2016
ben1daEbiri:
...you're part of the sane 10% on nairaland
10%?
Maka why, why insult d rest?

BACK TO TOPIC.
Fellow Power Engineers The Energy down there can power the world for Billions of yrs... The heat is constant and dats all we need to Drive our Turbines. Electric cars, Trains, Ship, Planes will tap from it Fashola Take note. Thank Op 4 d Topic.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by CyberStalking: 10:23am On Sep 19, 2016

3 Likes

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 19, 2016
Reminds me of the film "The core". A must watch!
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by umbo: 12:28pm On Sep 19, 2016
d mistries about d earth core is beyond our will and capacity. our brain is not configured 4 its imagination, d scientist are just fumbling about it , d bible recalls about d earth core components in 2nd peter 3 vs 10
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by umbo: 12:29pm On Sep 19, 2016
d mistries about d earth core is beyond our will and capacity. our brain is not configured 4 its imagination, d scientist are just fumbling about it , d bible recalls about d earth core components in 2nd peter 3 vs 10

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between IT And ICT? / NASA Scientists Finds Message From God On Planet Mars / Yahya Usman Ahmad Constructs Airplane Model With Local Materials. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.