Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,209 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism (4970 Views)

The Cure For Hepatitis B And C That You Didn't Know...{with Pic}. / The Cure For Hepatitis B And C That You Didn't Know...{with Pic}. / 10 Things You Didn't Know About Vaginas [infographic] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Viktoreze(m): 12:39am On Sep 12, 2016
Dwarfism (UK: /ˈdwɔːfɪzəm/; US: /ˈdwɔːrfɪzəm/) occurs when an individual organism is short in stature resulting from a medical condition caused by slow growth. In humans, dwarfism is sometimes defined as an adult height of less than 4 feet 10 inches (58 in; 147 cm).[1] Dwarfism can be caused by more than 300 distinct medical conditions,[2] such that the symptoms and characteristics of individuals with dwarfism vary greatly. Disproportionate dwarfism is characterized by one or more body parts being relatively large or small in comparison to those of an average-sized adult, with growth variations in specific areas being apparent. In cases of proportionate dwarfism, the body appears normally proportioned, but is unusually small.

There is no single treatment for dwarfism. Individual differences, such as bone growth disorders, sometimes can be treated through surgery. Some hormone disorders can be treated through medication and by hormone replacement therapy; this treatment must be done before the child's growth plates fuse. Individual accommodations, such as specialized furniture, are often used by people with dwarfism.[3] Many support groups provide services to aid individuals with dwarfism and the discrimination they may face because of their dwarfism.[4]

For people, in addition to the medical aspect of the condition, there are social and sociological aspects as well. For a person with dwarfism, height discrimination can lead to ridicule in childhood and discrimination in adulthood.[5][6] In the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, and other English-speaking countries, some people with dwarfism prefer to be called "little people".[7][8]

Historically, the term "midget" was used to describe "proportionate dwarfs"; however, this term is now regarded as offensive and pejorative by some[9] (see Terminology). Hypotonia, or low muscle tone, is common in dwarfs, but intelligence and lifespan are usually normal.

CHARACTERISTICS

A typical defining characteristic of dwarfism is an adult height of less than 147 cm (4 ft 10 in). Since those with dwarfism have such a wide range of physical characteristics, variations in individuals are identified by diagnosing and monitoring the underlying disorders.

Short stature can be inherited without any coexisting disease. Short stature in the absence of a medical condition is not generally considered dwarfism. For example, a short man and a short woman with average health will tend to produce children who are also short and with average health. While short parents tend to produce short children, persons with dwarfism may produce children of average height, if the cause of their dwarfism is not genetically transmissible or if the individual does not pass on the genetic variation.

Dwarfism occurs in animals as well as humans; horses can have achondroplastic symptoms, as shown here next to a person with dwarfism.
Disproportionate dwarfism is characterized by one or more body parts being unusually large or small compared to the rest of the body. In achondroplasia one's trunk is usually of average size, one's limbs being proportionately shorter, one's head usually larger, and a prominent forehead.[11] In at least one case achondroplasia resulted in a significantly smaller trunk and head.[citation needed] Facial features are often affected and individual body parts may have problems associated with them. Orthopedic problems can result from multiple conditions such as diastrophic dysplasia and pseudoachondroplasia.

Proportionate dwarfism is marked by body parts being proportional but smaller.[12] Height is significantly below average and there may be long periods without any significant growth. Sexual development is often delayed or impaired into adulthood. Unlike disproportionate dwarfism, in some cases intellectual disability may be a part of proportionate dwarfism.

Physical maleffects of malformed bones vary according to the specific disease. Many involve joint pain caused by abnormal bone alignment, or from nerve compression.[7] Early degenerative joint disease, exaggerated lordosis or scoliosis, and constriction of spinal cord or nerve roots can cause pain and disability.[13] Reduced thoracic size can restrict lung growth and reduce pulmonary function. Some forms of dwarfism are associated with disordered function of other organs, such as the brain or liver, sometimes severely enough to be more of an impairment than the unusual bone growth.[14][15]

Mental effects also vary according to the specific underlying syndrome. In most cases of skeletal dysplasia, such as achondroplasia, mental function is not impaired.[12] However, there are syndromes which can affect the cranial structure and growth of the brain, severely impairing mental capacity. Unless the brain is directly affected by the underlying disorder, there is little to no chance of mental impairment that can be attributed to dwarfism.[16]

The psychosocial limitations of society may be more disabling than the physical symptoms, especially in childhood and adolescence, but people with dwarfism vary greatly in the degree to which social participation and emotional health are affected.

Social prejudice against extreme shortness may reduce social and marital opportunities.[17][18]
See also: heightism
Numerous studies have demonstrated reduced employment opportunities. Severe shortness is associated with lower income.[18]
Self-esteem may suffer and family relationships may be affected.
Extreme shortness (in the low 2–3 foot [60–90 cm] range) can, if not accommodated for, interfere with activities of daily living, like driving or using countertops built for taller people. Other common attributes of dwarfism such as bowed knees and unusually short fingers can lead to back problems, and difficulty in walking and handling objects.
Children with dwarfism are particularly vulnerable to teasing and ridicule from classmates. Because dwarfism is relatively uncommon, children may feel isolated from their peers.[14]

Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Nobody: 2:04am On Sep 12, 2016
You forgot to mention they are cunning just like tywin Lannister abi wetin be his name cheesy. I admire that short man devil in the series jare. He's good. I always wonder and imagine how their dicks looks like.

Please don't tell me it's just like their stature cheesy
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Rednaxelot: 3:08am On Sep 12, 2016
HateU2:
You forgot to mention they are cunning just like tywin Lannister abi wetin be his name cheesy. I admire that short man devil in the series jare. He's good. I always wonder and imagine how their dicks looks like.

Please don't tell me it's just like their stature cheesy
wonder no more dear?

A day experience together with me will cease you from the wondering!
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Viktoreze(m): 6:37am On Sep 12, 2016
Rednaxelot:
wonder no more dear?

lol....... seriously
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 12, 2016
Rednaxelot:
wonder no more dear?

shocked shocked shocked

Are you one
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Rednaxelot: 7:28am On Sep 12, 2016
HateU2:
shocked shocked shocked

Are you one
yes!

Are you suprised?

We are also human like you, except for the vertical difference and slight difference of anatomical size and shape.
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Rednaxelot: 7:29am On Sep 12, 2016
Viktoreze:
lol....... seriously
sure!
Any problem with that?
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 12, 2016
Rednaxelot:
yes!

Are you suprised?

We are also human like you, except for the vertical difference and slight difference of anatomical size and shape.
yes, I Am.

Oya Lemme see your pix or adonbilivit cool
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Rednaxelot: 8:40am On Sep 12, 2016
HateU2:
yes, I Am.

Oya Lemme see your pix or adonbilivit cool
picture isn't an evidence nowadays!

I could do editing on Photoshop or got pictures on internet and show you, would you argue with me it isn't me?
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 12, 2016
Rednaxelot:
picture isn't an evidence nowadays!

I could do editing on Photoshop or got pictures on internet and show you, would you argue with me it isn't me?
I think you are lying. I give up
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Rednaxelot: 9:20am On Sep 12, 2016
HateU2:
I think you are lying. I give up
lol!
ain't lieing!
check my handle and reverse the letters.
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 12, 2016
Rednaxelot:
lol!

ain't lieing!

check my handle and reverse the letters.
Tolexander.

What's the meaning?
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Viktoreze(m): 11:57am On Sep 12, 2016
Real estate investing, even on a very small scale, remains a tried and true means of building an individual's cash flow and wealth"
~Robert Kiyosaki
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Viktoreze(m): 9:36pm On May 15, 2020
“Every person who invests in well-selected real estate in a growing section of a prosperous community adopts the surest and safest method of becoming independent, for real estate is the basis of wealth.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Viktoreze(m): 1:07pm On May 22, 2020
Real estate investing, even on a very small scale, remains a tried and true means of building an individual's cash flow and wealth"
~Robert Kiyosaki
Re: What You Didn't Know About Dwarfism by Viktoreze(m): 1:39pm On Mar 16, 2021
Land monopoly is not only monopoly, but it is by far the greatest of monopolies; it is a perpetual monopoly, and it is the mother of all other forms of monopoly.”
-Winston Churchill

(1) (Reply)

Hereditary Diseases And Marriage / Can I leave a patient in the hospital because of lack of fund? / List Of Pharmaceutical Companies Owned By Yoruba Billionaires-x

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.