Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? (5454 Views)

The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell / Behaving As A Car Owner In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by pannyman(m): 8:55pm On Oct 08, 2009
We all would love to own brand new cars, but we are compelled to make do with the used ones from across the seas.

I recently - in march- bought a '99 Camry and so far it's behaving fine.

Apart from fueling and regular service I have only had to spend money on the following:

1. Four brand new tyres

2. A new battery

3. Removal of stains from the interior using some miracle chemical spray some Ibo boys introduced  to me when I went to buy the tyres. lol

4. Headlamp bulbs

That's about it. please share your experience with the house, we can learn from each other's experience   smiley
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by pannyman(m): 8:56pm On Oct 08, 2009
And oh, it's a V6 lol
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by 190: 10:08pm On Oct 08, 2009
went mine has sent me changing the brain box
and the tyres and the battery and now the injector is messin up also changed the fuel filter to KL-19
had it fixed yesterday and so far so gud its ok
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by Joy2Dwise1: 8:21am On Oct 09, 2009
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by pannyman(m): 10:23am On Oct 09, 2009
@190, what make and model is the car?
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by lee007(m): 10:42am On Oct 09, 2009
My Experience is WOW!

I Bought a Camry 1999 in March and i must confess the car is not bad at all.

I have serviced it three times, changed the radiator to double cell thats all.

The fuel efficiency is super N1,500 fuel from Lagos to Ilorin full AC (200Miles) shocked shocked grin

Above all the AC makes me feel like an Eskimo cool

Rating, I will say 80%
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by 4tune1(m): 11:26am On Oct 09, 2009
I don`t know what much to talk about camry say 4rom 1998 model. my 1998 camry v6 is just whao. only normal service and fuelling Maiduguri is just a short distance. Ac na die.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by amrerobert(m): 12:12pm On Oct 09, 2009
i just got myself a rover 620si and its about a month plus pld i have only changed the battery and  head lamps. i also tightened the bolts on the bumper rear and in front and will change the switch for the rear window(1). the fule economy is great a full thank took my from lag to benin and i used car for another 2wks before topping it .
the ac works very well and car responce to acceleration is pretty great. so far i have no regrets just hoping to get more from the car wetin the next 2yrs then hopfully change it.
as they say the taste is in eating the pudding. lets share our experiences. i learnt so much from nairaland before i ventured over the boarder to get my car.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by Obeledu: 12:57pm On Oct 09, 2009
I bought my 2006 accord which has done 375,000km on it about three months ago. I have serviced it once with Mobile one oil and changed brake pad. I have travelled from Warri to Anambra and was amazed by the stability of the car. I was doing 140kmph without feeling the effect on the steering.

The only problem i have noticed is that the speed at which the drivers side window opens and closes is different from the passengers side, the passengers side moves slowly. I dont know if thats how the manufacturer made it. However i will have a good eletrician check it.

Also i want to believe that high millage dosent realy affect the performance of the car, thats why i am using the best oil in Nigerian market.

So far i am happy with the performance of the car.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by babeface3: 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2009
Guys your testimonies are encouraging. That means i just have to settle for toks. I have been asking questions and i was advised to run away from Nigerian used cars; that out of 10 Nigerian that offer their cars for sale, 8 is selling because of a serious problem the car has. I was also advised to go for recent model cars. I am ready to go to Cotonu, though ma budget is 500k
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 09, 2009
My own car is coming very soon.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by SOMTO2(m): 2:29pm On Oct 09, 2009
wow! plenty testimonies,

well i just got myself the new 2006 subaru.
u cud never ask for a better car, speek is amazing fuel consumption minimal.
above all, stability no be here.

it runs faster than the keke marwa, and has better stability than an okada.

the a.c is so chilling, i sell ice blocks from lagos to owerri.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by bigfather(m): 2:36pm On Oct 09, 2009
I dey enjoy my toy 24/7 . I have never had a course to blame myself for one day.
Car is yr and some mths now and WOW, it's a V6 ! shocked
NOTHING LIKE IT ! cool
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by djpalapala(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2009
Am I seeing guys here praising Toks? This is really interesting. A new car a is new car, but the truth be told, Tokunbo cars are not bad at all, in fact thanks be to God for them. I have been using one since 2002 and I havent had a reason to regret I bought it, and if you must know its an Audi80, solid and still competing with cars bought yesterday with speed (160km/hr) and very stable. Cost of service/maintenance very minimal.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by hancock(m): 3:00pm On Oct 09, 2009
pannyman:

We all would love to own brand new cars, but we are compelled to make do with the used ones from across the seas.

I recently - in march- bought a '99 Camry and so far it's behaving fine.

Apart from fueling and regular service I have only had to spend money on the following:

1. Four brand new tyres

2. A new battery

3. Removal of stains from the interior using some miracle chemical spray some Ibo boys introduced  to me when I went to buy the tyres. lol

4. Headlamp bulbs

That's about it. please share your experience with the house, we can learn from each other's experience   smiley
oga pannyman were can i get this miracle chemical spray? i need em for my interior leather seats too. holla
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by agabaI23(m): 3:07pm On Oct 09, 2009
Obeledu:

I bought my 2006 accord which has done 375,000km on it about three months ago. I have serviced it once with Mobile one oil and changed brake pad. I have travelled from Warri to Anambra and was amazed by the stability of the car. I was doing 140kmph without feeling the effect on the steering.

The only problem i have noticed is that the speed at which the drivers side window opens and closes is different from the passengers side, the passengers side moves slowly. I dont know if thats how the manufacturer made it. However i will have a good eletrician check it.

Also i want to believe that high millage dosent realy affect the performance of the car, thats why i am using the best oil in Nigerian market.

So far i am happy with the performance of the car.

Bros I am not gonna scare you but keep some money on the side. With over 200 000 miles, parts of the car can be failing you without warning. #

But then you can be lucky.

Good luck!
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by ekitikan(m): 3:10pm On Oct 09, 2009
i bought a ford probe around first week of june 2009,i got the plate number on the 18 of june 2009,on that same day driving from sango otta to abeokuta where i reside the vehicle started overheating and before i could do anything the gasket kapoot,i took it to a road side mechanic who fixed the problem after paying about 15k.
3 days after the vehicle was fixed,the engine started smoking,i took it to the mechanic who advised that i should change the ring of the engine.
i spent another 20k on that,afterwards i enjoyed the car for another two weeks before travelling to egypt,the sme car was used to travel to lago where i would board my plane to cairo.on arriving from cairo i went to my car and started the engine as usual the engine sounded well after about 5 minutes drive from my folks place where i kept the car,the engine just went off and when i contacted a mechanic i was told the engine has knocked, now the situation now is that i will have to buy another engine.
whatever the case am planning on buying another car by next month i would still buy tokunbo maybe this time i will still be lucky, but na toyota product i go buy now and na solara i want buy, thanks for reading.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by nnemak(m): 3:16pm On Oct 09, 2009
agabaI23:

Bros I am not gonna scare you but keep some money on the side. With over 200 000 miles, parts of the car can be failing you without warning. #

But then you can be lucky.

Good luck!
Ya, its no scare but advice, I am stll wonderin how a 2006 accord got to 233,014 miles so fast! shocked shocked shocked

even 2000 arccord are still less than 170,000 miles,
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by phuckNL: 3:17pm On Oct 09, 2009
I would like to see how many of you would still have these cars in 2yrs. Especially if you drive them in lagos
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by nnemak(m): 3:19pm On Oct 09, 2009
My ride since april. have only gone for 1 oil change/ servicing. No problem since then.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by unclebros: 3:23pm On Oct 09, 2009
i have been using honda Accord 92model (Halla) for almost 4yrs now.
Guys, I don spend tire, i have changed the ffg

Batteries, 2twice
Shaft, like 7times
shocks, 4times
Service, once in 2months
complete exhaust, once
complete engine, once
complete gear box, once
brain box, once recently
complete body work, once recently
change of body color, once recently
tyres, once every year

Infact am almost mechanic myself, but am bout to change it soon, make una pray for me oooh

The truth is i was unlucky to get a good one when i bought it, the omo ibo that sold it to me cheated me even  with the fact that i took a mechanic there. They both short-changed me but i have forgiven them
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by ikeyman00(m): 3:24pm On Oct 09, 2009
@@
na lie high milega is nothing

seina if talk say his audi don dey clock 600?? grin grin

maintain ur car! simple

wetin person think say car bi self shocked
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by ikeyman00(m): 3:25pm On Oct 09, 2009
i  have been using honda Accord 92model (Halla) for almost 4yrs now.
Guys, I don spend tire, i have changed the ffg
see waya  grin grin

u bought a dead car
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by unclebros: 3:29pm On Oct 09, 2009
Guy i have learnt my lesson, but the truth is when i changed the engine, the performance has been very impressive
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by phuckNL: 3:33pm On Oct 09, 2009
ikeyman00:

@@
na lie high milega is nothing

seina if talk say his audi don dey clock 600?? grin grin

maintain your car! simple

wetin person think say car bi self shocked

Simply question, compare a 30yr old man with good nutrition and a 60 yr old man also with good nutrition.
High mileage is everything. It means your car is nearing its death. That is why manufacturers give you warranties on their new cars. Most of these cars have exceeded the money that was paid for them.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by ikeyman00(m): 3:35pm On Oct 09, 2009
haa
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by omotoda(m): 3:36pm On Oct 09, 2009
@phnl

dont know what u mean but i hv been driving my BMW 318 1995 MODEL for 2 years now and hv never had any issue.

the main thing about a tokunbo car is luck and good maintenance.

shikena
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by phuckNL: 3:45pm On Oct 09, 2009
omotoda:

@phnl

dont know what u mean but i hv been driving my BMW 318 1995 MODEL for 2 years now and hv never had any issue.

the main thing about a tokunbo car is luck and good maintenance.

shikena

The same way my uncle still has his van that he bought brand new in 1982. Of course exceptions exist. How many people still drive around that 1995 model that you are talking about. By drive around, i mean with the ORIGINAL ENGINE that it came with and several other parts. Most would have changed the parts so much that the car would be an entirely different thing from what came out of the manufacturers factory.
Average mileage is 10 -15,000 miles per yr. Most warranties end at the max of 100,000 miles (Japanese cars). As soon as your car starts clocking 250,000 miles and above, it is gradually heading to the mortuary whether u like it or not.

Some people hardly drive their cars and they would come out and claim that they've had it for so and so. Drive that thing everyday in Lagos and the car will give up eventually.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by gentlegg(m): 3:48pm On Oct 09, 2009
I bought my 95/96 Honda Legend from Cotonou like 4 months ago. I bought it from a contact I made here in Nairaland. Mennn, you need to drive a Legend before you think to have driven Honda product. The uphill acceleration is unbelievable compared to my former Mitsubishi Gallant. No wonder is a V6. Infact the thing makes me speed madly, upto 160km/hr speed, I almost had head-to-head collision with a 'fish' camry 2 weeks ago, thank God only my side mirrow glass cracked.
I never use the AC in "High" (as it has Low, Medium & High buttons), no matter how sunny, unless i need small catarrh/cold.

It was only d first few days I bought it that it gave me battery wahala, until I bought a brand new sealed battery.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by phuckNL: 3:55pm On Oct 09, 2009
gentlegg:

I bought my 95/96 Honda Legend from Cotonou like 4 months ago. I bought it from a contact I made here in Nairaland. Mennn, you need to drive a Legend before you think to have driven Honda product. The uphill acceleration is unbelievable compared to my former Mitsubishi Gallant. No wonder is a V6. Infact the thing makes me speed madly, upto 160km/hr speed, I almost had head-to-head collision with a 'fish' camry 2 weeks ago, thank God only my side mirrow glass cracked.
I never use the AC in "High" (as it has Low, Medium & High buttons), no matter how sunny, unless i need small catarrh/cold.

It was only d first few days I bought it that it gave me battery wahala, until I bought a brand new sealed battery.

2 more yrs and i expect a different story.
Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by badaru1(m): 3:57pm On Oct 09, 2009
I ve used honder 88 twice and now am using baby. My experience with cars generally wether toks or tear leather is: Experiece. An experienced and carefull car owner can use a car for 20 years without frequenting mechanic. Most times the mechanics are the ones that kill cars. When ever you have a problem with your car try consult experts before allowing anybody to temper with your car. remember once a nut is loosed from your car,it can never be replaced like it came from factory. Sometime the mechanics use your car to learn.

So the efficient and effectiveness of a car didnot necessarily depend on the number of years in use but the user.

1 Like

Re: How's Your Tokunbo Behaving? by ikeyman00(m): 4:02pm On Oct 09, 2009
@@@@

still on it; wetin some people think say car bi self??

inside engine self; there are lots of struggles actin against . . .

with all sort of forces friction etc

wetin make u say the impact dnt have any effect?

if it woth changin your block ; then u pay

wetn some man dey talk like js1 student for here

if nao F1 go buy and change engine for every race

that pot hole near ur compound alone na murder

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Robbery At The Seme - Cotonou Boarder / Used Car Reviews For Nigeria / If You Have Ever Taken Your Car To Car45 To Be Sold, Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.