Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition (13415 Views)

Repair Your Car Brain Box, Program Your Key, Buy Your Auto Scanner. / How To Break Into Your Car When You Mistakenly Lock Your Key In The Car (Photos) / Ignition Coil For A Chevrolet Suburban Is Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by PHIPEX(m): 7:42am On Sep 17, 2016
Why are people insulting the OP? I drove for almost 2 years before I had the experience and I thought something serious was wrong. I had to consult Google like OP did. If you know already, allow others to know, NL is for both the experienced and the learners.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by sharpchap: 7:48am On Sep 17, 2016
Op das a normal thing. When U park Ur car U lock the steering wheel. Its part of normal security features. Am sure if U had told Ur dad he would have showed you. Op can U drive like so?

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by jacko4real(m): 7:54am On Sep 17, 2016
guy u father just bought a new car that is why u are a novice.pls, say something that are current okay?

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 17, 2016
refreshrate:

You mean the ones about snake abi?
Lala is coming for you...just wait.

Please tell him to come with plenty $$$
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by moscobabs(m): 8:10am On Sep 17, 2016
hUmaneOne:

Of course, Because of stuffs like.
Hello my car is overheating and my radiator water level is down.should I add water or leave it like that?

This thread is just another of those nonsense
such questions is annoy but Siena leaving Nairaland is a great loss to Nairaland car owners o. pls do u have his website or any of his contact?
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by hUmaneOne: 8:14am On Sep 17, 2016
moscobabs:

such questions is annoy but Siena leaving Nairaland is a great loss to Nairaland car owners o. pls do u have his website or any of his contact?

I wish I had it.
I joined Nairaland in 2006 just to say thank you to siena.of course with another id
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by ayobase(m): 8:32am On Sep 17, 2016
moscobabs:
bro I beg sey na true say Siena left Nairaland?

Yeah.
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by NevetsIbot(m): 8:37am On Sep 17, 2016
africandollar:
Are you a learner? Sorry let me rephrase, are you and your Dad both learners? tongue
Dad has been driving for over 30yrs and never experienced it... And I'm not a learner. Fizzz
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by NevetsIbot(m): 8:38am On Sep 17, 2016
BE811APP:
Nothing new here..

OP when did u start driving? lipsrsealed
Two years ago.... Any prob?
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by AnanseK(m): 8:56am On Sep 17, 2016
Thank you.

You should also Google when to use these two words: "Pack" and "Park" and also work on your pronounciation.
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by 99foxxy(f): 9:10am On Sep 17, 2016
How is this new?
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 17, 2016
These learners sha! Even my baby of 1.5 years old knows what to do in this situation.
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by slavemerchant: 9:27am On Sep 17, 2016
1shortblackboy:
Mcheeeeew dont u people drive cars ? What is d new info here?

This info is new to some people, let them learn n leave d thread if you already know, no wonder you are short, nice one op
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by slavemerchant: 9:29am On Sep 17, 2016
AnanseK:

Thank you.

You should also Google when to use these two words: "Pack" and "Park" and also work on your pronounciation.

Not again, another mofo
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by KBdownloads(m): 9:46am On Sep 17, 2016
op go to driving school, you are a chronic learner
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by mitchyy(f): 9:52am On Sep 17, 2016
I just started driving last year and i didn't know this. So thanks for sharing op
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by Nusaf: 10:17am On Sep 17, 2016
This op must be very funny. This is just part of driving na. As u insert the key into the ignition with the right hand to start the car, the left hand is on the steering wheel to jack it left or right in case the ignition gets stiff due to auto-lock. For all those saying they drove for years but have not had this experience, I smell lies. The very moment a car is parked and the ignition key is removed, any further turning of the steering wheel will lock it automatically.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by aremzyolly(m): 10:23am On Sep 17, 2016
Very easy for me to know that op just started driving ... grin
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by enjoy1100: 11:26am On Sep 17, 2016
I paid
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by NevetsIbot(m): 11:30am On Sep 17, 2016
AnanseK:

Thank you.

nope.. I wasn't the one who typed 'packed'. I'm dead sure I didn't type that. Maybe the mods edited it before taking it to FP. But I know I can't be so dumb not to know pack from park. Thanks though
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by shortiespro: 1:39pm On Sep 17, 2016
Attention seeker . U sha don enter front page .....
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by ceeceeuwa: 3:09pm On Sep 17, 2016
d33types:

You shouldn't post for posting sakes too.any body ever driven a car for sometime knows this so-called trick.
See why Nigeria is fvcked up.
You never can tell,it could be helpful to those that are learners. No knowledge is a waste!
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 17, 2016
This does not work in some cases. A locksmith may have to remove it and reset the teeth. I pray you don't see an advanced case of lock. What is jig jag? It will not work even it is jag jig.
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by danosky91(m): 5:48pm On Sep 17, 2016
I to had similar experience with my dad's was so scared but after few search i did dis hold down d brake then turn the key d steering wld b unlocked.
NevetsIbot:
So, this night, someone brushEd Dads packed car while claiming he was in an emergency. He almost ran me over and hit another person on the road.... Ontop emergency.

So, trying to make a quick check on the engine after washing the car tonight since Dad has a very urgent journey to make tomorrow morning. The key just wouldn't turn. Every other thing was working except the Ignition. The key didn't turn.

What happened? When that Bozo brushed the already parked car. It moved the car forward and an automatic car will instantly lock its steering wheel along with the ignition. but, I didn't know.

So after panicking for some minutes, I decided to google and I found the solution. And its quite simple. Jig your already locked steering left and right while trying to turn the key. It should unlock the steering and the key should now be able to turn and there you go.. Your car is unlocked.

Just decided to share this so everyone can know what to do when a case like this comes up in urgent situations. If I hadn't gotten solution, Dad might probably have to get to Benin late tomorrow cos he was busy paying a mechanic to do something as simple as this.

Goodningt cheesy

Cc Lalasticlala, seun
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by NevetsIbot(m): 7:32pm On Sep 17, 2016
shortiespro:
Attention seeker . U sha don enter front page .....
Sorry.. I get enough attention in real life... There's no point in seeking for attention in a faceless forum.

Out there, someone just learnt something from this thread and that's all I wanted. Goodbye

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by Saicology212: 8:49pm On Sep 17, 2016
NevetsIbot:
Thank you

NB : I know some people will find this little info useless but it doesn't matter. Those who will still learn will learn. Just like I was oblivious to it for years and just learnt it today, others too can learn it too...
Ordinarily, when you attempt to turn the steering wheel without the key in the ignition, the wheel will get locked and become stiff. Tugging at the wheel in both clockwise and anti-clockwise movements with the key in the ignition will free the wheel and your car will start. It ain't rocket science.
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by Mememan: 9:32pm On Sep 17, 2016
NevetsIbot:
So, this night, someone brushEd Dads packed car while claiming he was in an emergency. He almost ran me over and hit another person on the road.... Ontop emergency.

So, trying to make a quick check on the engine after washing the car tonight since Dad has a very urgent journey to make tomorrow morning. The key just wouldn't turn. Every other thing was working except the Ignition. The key didn't turn.

What happened? When that Bozo brushed the already parked car. It moved the car forward and an automatic car will instantly lock its steering wheel along with the ignition. but, I didn't know.

So after panicking for some minutes, I decided to google and I found the solution. And its quite simple. Jig your already locked steering left and right while trying to turn the key. It should unlock the steering and the key should now be able to turn and there you go.. Your car is unlocked.

Just decided to share this so everyone can know what to do when a case like this comes up in urgent situations. If I hadn't gotten solution, Dad might probably have to get to Benin late tomorrow cos he was busy paying a mechanic to do something as simple as this.

Goodningt cheesy

Cc Lalasticlala, seun
For your mind you're feeling like a funkt prince abi cheesy

Learner grin
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by danosky91(m): 10:55pm On Sep 17, 2016
refreshrate:

You mean the ones about snake abi?
Lala is coming for you...just wait.
lol some people sha
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by tripoli007(m): 5:33am On Sep 18, 2016
For ur mind you don post better thing .. If u learned driving with a manual car .. This would be one of the 1et thing u will know.. You and ur old man dey learn work ohh
Re: What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition by skedy1(m): 6:35am On Sep 18, 2016
BE811APP:
Nothing new here..

OP when did u start driving? lipsrsealed
Exactly!
I have known this for over how many years now...

(1) (2) (Reply)

These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars / What Kind Of Car Can ₦1 Million Get Me? / Which Exterior Colour Will Suit A Brown Leather Seat Interior Colour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.