Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages (30244 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / Niger Deltan Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / Attention Please!!! From Now, Every Niger-deltan Should Love The Igbos. .o (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Sanchez01: 5:43pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

While Asaba is contributory, it is not so much the problem.

The problem is even from Warri, the oil factor and the confluence of Urhobo, Ijaw and Itsekiri. The Itsekiri, especially, made Urhobos feel inferior in many ways due to their influence in those days. The inferiority complex evolved to a negative disposition towards Urhobo language.

I believe that those of us who really want to learn should engage Urhobo teachers, maids, or elderly ones. I learnt the Urhobo I know now by active efforts. I had to go to my village to converse with kinsmen in Urhobo. I was initially speaking what they call "cut-and-paste" Urhobo but through corrections and errors, I improved.
I meant to mention Warri and not Asaba. My mistake. We actually don't need to engage teachers. Blame this on parents who try to act all civil and enlightened.
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

The same giant tribe that cannot become common Vice President of Nigeria? Or that cannot withstand Hausa and Yoruba? The same one crying marginalization like rabid dogs or the one deluding themselves with Biafra.?

No please. We'd rather go extinct or merge with Yoruba.
you are already going extinct sha and thats why u have come here to wail...
urhobo is an inferior tribe ravaged with inferiority complex to itshekiri..you said it yourself..
now : Nnamdi azikiwe has been Nigerian president
Alex Ekwueme has been vice president
Alll present 5 south east states have produced the post of the senate president..just to mention but few

can you just tell me the highest position ever held by an urhobo man

besides your lands are already used for operation crocodile smile because you are all slaves to the rest of Nigeria..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

annexing you people truly is the only solution to your woes...atleast you will lose your culture and language to an African gian tribe 'igbo' or will you prefer to continue with your pidgeon English
Stop this attitude boy. You'll think you're having fun, but you're doing a lot of damages. No need for this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by BarryX(m): 5:45pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

which ties.....who even knows igbide...am just knowing for the first time..up North so far you are a southerner and not yoruba u are automatically igbo..soon we will annex minority tribes in south south
You can always bask in your foolery.

Using the way the Northerners view the southerners as the premise to base your judgement says much about your literate level

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 5:45pm On Sep 20, 2016
Pprovost:

Lol... All major tribes are guilty of this.

For me, Igbos annexing ND is not a bad idea. I may be wrong.

It is a terrible idea please because we are neither linguistically nor socio-culturally and politically related with Igbo. Annexation will only lead to resentment, nothing else. As it is now, 90% of Urhobos only TOLERATE Igbos. They don't like or trust Igbos.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Sanchez01: 5:45pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

how is asaba responsible for your woes
It seems they're frying biscuits on your head. I'm the last person you'd want to engage on tribal issues, trust me. If you are looking for your kinsmen in Delta state while in Enugu, I'd suggest you journey yourself down there to meet with them. The thread says Urhobo, yet you and your ilks would self-service and die just because you're all out looking for your lost relatives over your senseless struggle.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

I have denounced that statement and informed him better. Now go, will you!
i will now leave you in peace...grin grin...Nice he corrected himself
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

It is a terrible idea please because we are neither linguistically nor socio-culturally and politically related with Igbo. Annexation will only lead to resentment, nothing else. As it is now, 90% of Urhobos only TOLERATE Igbos. They don't like or trust Igbos.
Hmm. No wonder... I had one hell experience during a project execution in Warri. I hope Igbos are reading this.... Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 5:49pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

you are already going extinct sha and thats why u have come here to wail...
urhobo is an inferior tribe ravaged with inferiority complex to itshekiri..you said it yourself..
now : Nnamdi azikiwe has been Nigerian president
Alex Ekwueme has been vice president
Alll present 5 south east states have produced the post of the senate president..just to mention but few

can you just tell me the highest position ever held by an urhobo man

besides your lands are already used for operation crocodile smile because you are all slaves to the rest of Nigeria..

The truth is Urhobos never claimed to be a major language or a political bloc as Igbos do. So I am not pained that we may not have acquired any high ranking positions. Our time will eventually come.

Like someone rightly said, you've only done more harm than good on this thread. You've further spoilt my perception of Igbos and I'm sure other Urhobos are in the same boat with me.

The greatness of a people does not lie in boasting... Always remember that.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 20, 2016
Sanchez01:

It seems they're frying biscuits on your head. I'm the last person you'd want to engage on tribal issues, trust me. If you are looking for your kinsmen in Delta state while in Enugu, I'd suggest you journey yourself down there to meet with them. The thread says Urhobo, yet you and your ilks would self-service and die just because you're all out looking for your lost relatives over your senseless struggle.
i have seen up there u corrected yourself to mean warri and not asaba...leave igbo territories out of your woes thats just my concern
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

The truth is Urhobos never claimed to be a major language or a political bloc as Igbos do. So I am not pained that we may not have acquired any high ranking positions. Our time will eventually come.

Like someone rightly said, you've only done more harm than good on this thread. You've further spoilt my perception of Igbos and I'm sure other Urhobos are in the same boat with me.

The greatness of a people does not lie in boasting... Always remember that.
u called the first shot why are u retreating
even the urhobo friend i have by name oghenekaro has started learning how to speak Igbo...is not late for you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

for your info igbos dont also like or trust urhobo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 5:57pm On Sep 20, 2016
bigfrancis21:

I've noticed the tendency for other tribes to project their influence on Igbos but are quick to reject any Igbo influence on their tribal affiliation. Nigeria now knows of the Bini influence on Igboland but did you know that many are not aware of the Igbo influence of the 4 market days of Eke, Oye, Afor and Nkwo on Igala, Idoma and Bini lands which the Igalas, Idomas and Binis use till today?? Many also do not know that Igbo and Bini share many words in similar. The title of the Oba of Bini goes by Omo n'oba Akpolokpolo uku, the 'uku' in the title is the same as 'ukwu' in igbo which stands for great. Igbos say 'nkita' for dog and the Binis say 'ekita'. Osakwe and Osakhue both mean the same thing in Igbo and Bini. These and many more similarities.

Bro, many of these minority tribes do not actively try to associate with Igbo for reasons which you may have seen yourself on this thread. Most, but not all, Igbos have the deluded sense of grandeur and are quick to pounce and leech on smaller tribes especially when the tribes acknowledge any form of Igboid influence. The Igbide-Isoko case is exemplary.

Most of us have no resentment or bad blood towards Igbos other than the fact that they show their perceived "superiority" ONLY on smaller tribes. Once Yorubas and Hausas open their mouth, Igbos will hide under the canopy of Biafra and cry "they are marginalising us" when they do worse to smaller groups.

Yorubas and Hausas have posted on this thread and NONE has attracted attention as the Igbos have. That says alot...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 5:59pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

u called the first shot why are u retreating
even the urhobo friend i have by name oghenekaro has started learning how to speak Igbo...is not late for you

It was never a competition for me. If it was for you, I am not surprised.

Oghenekaro can learn Igbo from now till the next century, he forever remains an Urhobo! No one can take that from him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Igboid: 5:59pm On Sep 20, 2016
BarryX:
I think this idea of Igbide having Igbo ancestry gives you serious heavenly feelings going by how many times you mention it in a Niger-delta alignment discourse.

You have always sang it in your mind that the burst out through your fingers. I'm maternally Igbide and trust me, the history that we have never had it the way your ecstacy realism suggest.

If I were you, I will play down that "Igbide ownership" mentality in public discourse or these people will have no other option than to sever ties if any with the Igbos.

It's appaling already

What heavenly feelings? Get over yourself. Isoko is a backward area for all intents and purposes, you don't in anyway have anything Ndiigbo don't have or in need of.

However,historical facts are historical facts.
Igbide is Isoko today, but the people migrated from Igboland. Stating that does not in any way mean that Ndiigbo are interested in incorporating a non Igbo speaking Igbide or entire Isoko people into Igboland or future Igbo nation.

Why exactly are you people this paranoid?

http://www.isokonewyork.org/history.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 6:01pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

for your info igbos dont also like or trust urhobo
This is a logical fallout of my first assertion. It would be foolish to expect otherwise.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

Bro, many of these minority tribes do not actively try to associate with Igbo for reasons which you may have seen yourself on this thread. Most, but not all, Igbos have the deluded sense of grandeur and are quick to pounce and leech on smaller tribes especially when the tribes acknowledge any form of Igboid influence. The Igbide-Isoko case is exemplary.

Most of us have no resentment or bad blood towards Igbos other than the fact that they show their perceived "superiority" ONLY on smaller tribes. Once Yorubas and Hausas open their mouth, Igbos will hide under the canopy of Biafra and cry "they are marginalising us" when they do worse to smaller groups.

Yorubas and Hausas have posted on this thread and NONE has attracted attention as the Igbos have. That says alot...
how many 'hausas' get access to internet....as for yorubas they already have the itsekiri and they rather see urhobo as their slaves may be

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Igboid: 6:04pm On Sep 20, 2016
erico2k2:

The share borders . They never originated from Igbo however you are more than welcomed to share refrences instead of hear say or assumption

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

It was never a competition for me. If it was for you, I am not surprised.

Oghenekaro can learn Igbo from now till the next century, he forever remains an Urhobo! No one can take that from him.
language and culture make people....so he's already trying to relinquish his inferior urhobo origin and language to the advanced igbo heritage...he's wise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 6:05pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

how many 'hausas' get access to internet....as for yorubas they already have the itsekiri and they rather see urhobo as their slaves may be

The irony of this is that we would rather be slaves to Yorubas than be freemen to Igbos. Sink that into your skull.

As Yoruba slaves, we would be treated far better than you Igbos treat yourselves.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

The Dearth of Urhobo and Other Niger Deltan Languages

By Mathias Orhero

It's a pity that I have to code-mix English, Pidgin and my native Urhobo language as well as code-switch between them in any lengthy conversation with a kinsman. I am a product of the "wasted" generation, and my case is far better than what obtains for 90% of my peers. One of the things that I admire about Igbos, Yorubas and Hausas is their commitment to speaking their mother tongue. Sadly, for those of us in the Niger Delta, multi-ethnicity is our undoing. We have developed a very negative attitude towards our native Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Isoko, Okpe (Urhobo dialect), Uvwie (Urhobo dialect), Bini, Esan, etc. We prefer to converse in Pidgin, which most of us have adopted as our first language. Some would rather speak English when they encounter people of their ethnic extraction instead of conversing in Urhobo for fear of being perceived as local.

Typical Urhobo interlocutors begin conversations with "Guy, how far na?" instead of "Oshare, mavor?". When the latter is said, they will call you an "Ogburhobo". This negative attitude is killing our language. The linguist, Macaulay Mowarin, has predicted the dearth of Urhobo language. Already, Okpe and Uvwie have less than a thousand speakers. Urhobo is in free fall and in about 30 years times, native speakers will be too insignificant for Urhobo to be called an ethnic group. Urhobos pride themselves as the 5th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. The irony is that only a little above 50% of Urhobos can speak the language fluently. Same goes for Isoko, our sister language.

One of the primary sources of this trend is that the colonial masters wanted to anglicise all of us. They knew our languages were diverse and unintelligible to them and one another. They reckoned that if they anglicised us, we would all merge into one people. However good their plans were, it was to our detriment. The Nigerian Pidgin evolved and filled the void between English and our native languages, and the Europeans hailed and encouraged it. The people of the Niger Delta took English a little bit too far when we began to see those who speak English as successful people. We associated aristocracy with the English language, and our native languages started dying...

Today, I am a product of the culminating effects of the preceding. However, I have been able to remedy my situation before it snowballed into a personal disaster and an existential crisis. Others still have the negative attitude and will prefer to learn Spanish, French, German, and worse, Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa. Many of the "wasted generation" individuals grew up in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and other cities in Nigeria, as well as other countries, and instead of showing interest in and learning their mother tongue, they'll actively learn the language of others who WILL NOT even acknowledge their language. I often encounter individuals of the two Nigerian largest tribes who believe all Niger Deltans are Igbos. They don't even recognise that most of these tribes have NOTHING to do with Igbo! Even with their bad attitude towards the minority languages, you still find the brainwashed individuals of the lost generation learning the languages of the big three and developing positive attitudes towards them while the negative attitude towards their mother tongue persists. It is not bad to be a polyglot or to speak many languages. However, charity must begin at home. I cannot learn Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba unless I have thoroughly mastered Urhobo. We must learn to put ours first. This microcosmic issue is what influences the "Cain-Abel" effect. This effect manifests when Nigerians believe anything Nigerian is bad and fake and everything European is perfect and right. We betray ourselves to keep capitalist societies that don't add to our economy running.

Having observed the trend, I decided to devote my scholarship to the documentation of Urhobo language, literature and culture. I may not be able to do much in changing our negative attitudes towards our native languages, but I'll be able to preserve our cherished language and culture, in case we snowball into extinction. God forbids it ever gets to that point!

Mathias Orhero writes from Okpara-Inland, Nigeria. He is a literary scholar and writer. Reach him on literarymathy[at]gmail.com.

At bold is what attracted the attention. Your post would have been beautifully objective without the bolded.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Efewestern: 6:06pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

asaba is igbo and i am igbo so he is indirectly directing it to me....leave igbo areas out of your comatous urhobo language which is too local and sound like animal language that the owners themselves are very much ashamed to speak it

Never wanted to quote you.. but i feel insulted with that bolded ... Am not a kid to exchange words with u, But put this at the back of ur mind.. "No SS Minorities Take u serious", We re better alone..

#Peace#

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

This is a logical fallout of my first assertion. It would be foolish to expect otherwise.
even it is....it doesnt change the bitter truth i made known to you too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by BarryX(m): 6:07pm On Sep 20, 2016
Igboid:

What heavenly feelings? Get over yourself. Isoko is a backward area for all intents and purposes, you don't in anyway have anything Ndiigbo don't have or in need of.

However,historical facts are historical facts.
Igbide is Isoko today, but the people migrated from Igboland. Stating that does not in any way mean that Ndiigbo are interested in incorporating a non Igbo speaking Igbide or entire Isoko people into Igboland or future Igbo nation.

Why exactly are you people this paranoid?

And your Igbo is a forward area in all intents and purposes?
Your paradise is sweet, I must confess

Africans will always be Africans cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

even if it is....it doesnt change the bitter truth i made known to you too
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 6:07pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

language and culture make people....so he's already trying to relinquish his inferior Urhobo origin and language to the advanced Igbo heritage...he's wise

Worldview makes a people. Language and culture may or may not affect world view. Just because Igbos speak English do not mean that Igbos are English people. This is also the case with Oghenekaro.

In any case, even if he wants to be identified as Igbo, he'd have to change his name. He won't be a loss to Urhobos.

What you don't get is that Urhobos are not begging anyone to do anything. What will be will be. Even the so-called Igbo language is giving way for English in urban areas.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Igboid: 6:08pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

Stop talking trash! Your resentment for Igbos is paranoia driven.

That's why you were quick to act like there are no Igbos in Niger Delta when you made the below statement.

"I often encounter individuals of the two Nigerian largest tribes who believe all Niger Deltans are Igbos. They don't even recognise that most of these tribes have NOTHING to do with Igbo".

6 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 20, 2016
Efewestern:

Never wanted to quote you.. but i feel insulted with that bolded ... Am not a kid to exchange words with u, But put this at the back of ur mind.. "No SS Minorities Take u serious", We re better alone..

#Peace#
speak for your tribe alone ma'am....we igbos are also part of south south..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

even it is....it doesnt change the bitter truth i made known to you too
Thread with caution... you're fucvking up badly....
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

Worldview makes a people. Language and culture may or may not affect world view. Just because Igbos speak English do not mean that Igbos are English people. This is also the case with Oghenekaro.

In any case, even if he wants to be identified as Igbo, he'd have to change his name. He won't be a loss to Urhobos.

What you don't get is that Urhobos are not begging anyone to do anything. What will be will be. Even the so-called Igbo language is giving way for English in urban areas.
thats what am saying that soon urhobo will become non existent because as oghenekaro is leaving another will leave and may be you will leave as well...you can come to igbo capital cities and judge for yourself as per whether igbo is spoken well or not

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Igboid: 6:12pm On Sep 20, 2016
blues20:

Thread with caution... you're fucvking up badly....

Doesn't matter how you treat those people. Their Igbo hate is incurable. Let the guy handle them anyway he see fit. Hate for hate is not bad. cool

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Rare Yoruba Names And Meaning / Loyalty In Relationships: Are Black Women Too Loyal To Black Men / Canadian Terry Duguid In Igbo Attire During Festival. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.