Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages (30195 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / Niger Deltan Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / Attention Please!!! From Now, Every Niger-deltan Should Love The Igbos. .o (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Efewestern: 6:40pm On Sep 20, 2016
#Peace#

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 6:41pm On Sep 20, 2016
Igboid:

Ask your dubious brother that opened this thread, what he smoked when he wrote the below:

"I often encounter individuals of the two Nigerian largest tribes who believe all Niger Deltans are Igbos. They don't even recognise that most of these tribes have NOTHING to do with Igbo!

He will not be allowed to be the one to tell us about our histories with groups in present SS. If he can't stick to talking about his Urhobo group only, but would rather rope Ndiigbo into his articles, including using terms like "Niger Delta" that has Igbo groups in it.

Then he should always expect harsh but fact filled rebuttals from Ndiigbo.

What is wrong with the quoted? Is it a lie? Are Urhobos Igboid? None of the ethnic groups that my essay covers are Igboid in any sense. So why are Igbos erupting over this thread?

I don't have to appeal to the sensibilities of Igbos because I didn't write this article for them. I wrote it for Urhobos and other Niger Deltan non-Igboid ethnic groups. Igbos, as usual, have hijacked it and spoilt their image further.

In any case, that statement was not borne out of bad blood. It is well defended in the following sentences where I said it is not bad to be a polyglot but charity must begin at home!

I have said it before and I say it again, Urhobo and other Niger Delta ethnic groups, with the exception of Anioma and, perhaps, Ikwerre and other groups in Rivers State, have NOTHING to do with Igbos except for proximity.

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Sanchez01: 6:43pm On Sep 20, 2016
Efewestern:

Just look at the way they derailed this thread.. all in the name of annexing minority... I don't just get it...
This isn't their first and won't certainly be their last. I guess the motivation for their senseless cause isn't enough, not until they lump every minority tribes to themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Igboid: 6:43pm On Sep 20, 2016
Efewestern:

Nobody hates u.. he never said we hate u.. All we re saying is that We Have nothing in Common with you.. Thats just his point .. pls show me where he said we hate you.

Your comments re making it hard for SS minorities to like u.. jusr imagine the way u insulted us..

I am nt ready to exchange word with anybody.. Don't intend doing that.. Please watch what u say.

Thanks

Stop it already. Why not say Urhobo don't like you. How hard will that be?

Why hide behind hazy term like SS?

Does the Ijaw and Itsekiri love themselves in Warri?

What exactly is wrong with you lots? Speak for your group, and don't try to project your Igbo hate on other neighboring non Igbo groups in SS that have always been in good terms with Ndiigbo by pretending you speak for them.

7 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

I am a writer and I will not be coerced by any ethnic group into writing what I want or not. If you don't like what I wrote, well, you can move on and write a rejoinder. That is how it is done by sane people not lunatics that troll and hijack threads to create enmity where none exists.
if you have nothing with igbos u dont need to tell us that...just move on and leave us. is provocative including us in your silly write up

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by bigfrancis21: 6:45pm On Sep 20, 2016
Hey guys, it is enough. Let us not turn this thread into an Urhobo vs Igbo thread. This is a thread for Urhobos and their language revival. Everyone is welcome to post here but let us limit it to Urhobo matters please. cc Igboid, Enuguboy4nsk, blues20 etc.

Urhobo guys, please keep mentions of anything Igbo to the barest minimum, as it attracts unwanted attention. cc frathermarthy, CEOMYN

I will begin to hide any unrelated posts after this post.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 6:45pm On Sep 20, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

if you have nothing with igbos u dont need to tell us that...just move on and leave us. is provocative including us in your silly write up

noted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Kowor(f): 6:46pm On Sep 20, 2016
bigfrancis21:

I have a classmate who is Urhobo but has an Igbo mother. Like you she is more fluent in Igbo than Urhobo. She could even speak some Nsukka Igbo. Her 2 elder sisters married Igbo guys, and she plans to marry an Igbo guy too. She strongly feels more connected to her Igbo side than her Urhobo side.
same here, except for the marriage part.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by fratermathy(m): 6:47pm On Sep 20, 2016
bigfrancis21:
Hey guys, it is enough. Let us not turn this thread into an Urhobo vs Igbo thread. This is a thread for Urhobos and their language revival. Everyone is welcome to post here but let us limit it to Urhobo matters please.

Urhobo guys, please keep mentions of anything Igbo to the barest minimum, as it attracts unwanted attention.

cc Igboid, Enuguboy4nsk, etc.

Thank you bros.

One love...
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by bigfrancis21: 6:48pm On Sep 20, 2016
Kowor:

same here, except for the marriage part.

Cool. What tribe are you married into?
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Efewestern: 6:50pm On Sep 20, 2016
Igboid:

Stop it already. Why not say Urhobo don't like you. How hard will that be?

Why hide behind hazy term like SS?

Does the Ijaw and Itsekiri love themselves in Warri?

What exactly is wrong with you lots? Speak for your group, and don't try to project your Igbo hate on other neighboring non Igbo groups in SS that have always been in good terms with Ndiigbo by pretending you speak for them.

Like i said earlier.. Urhobo don't hate u.. i was only trying to correct one of ur own insulting Us ... Don't turn me into a tribalist.. The Op was just pointing out the fact that Urhobo can't trace her origin to Igbo.. That's just the issue.

And sorry if u feel offended by what Fratermathy or me said.. am sorry if u feel offended.

#Peace#.

5 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by BarryX(m): 6:50pm On Sep 20, 2016
bigfrancis21:
Hey guys, it is enough. Let us not turn this thread into an Urhobo vs Igbo thread. This is a thread for Urhobos and their language revival. Everyone is welcome to post here but let us limit it to Urhobo matters please. cc Igboid, Enuguboy4nsk, etc.

Urhobo guys, please keep mentions of anything Igbo to the barest minimum, as it attracts unwanted attention. cc frathermarthy

You are not being sincere young man, Hide the first statement in the first page and get it over with.

Don't make screwed up judgement.

I suppose you are one of his

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by bigfrancis21: 6:55pm On Sep 20, 2016
BarryX:
You are not being sincere young man, Hide the first statement in the first page and get it over with.

Don't make screwed up judgement.

I suppose you are one of his

My tribal affiliation is insignificant to what's going on here. I'm only trying to put an end to the Urhobo vs Igbo war going on here.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Efewestern: 6:56pm On Sep 20, 2016
bigfrancis21:
Hey guys, it is enough. Let us not turn this thread into an Urhobo vs Igbo thread. This is a thread for Urhobos and their language revival. Everyone is welcome to post here but let us limit it to Urhobo matters please. cc Igboid, Enuguboy4nsk, blues20 etc.

Urhobo guys, please keep mentions of anything Igbo to the barest minimum, as it attracts unwanted attention. cc frathermarthy, CEOMYN

Thanks.. Look at how they derailed this wonderful thread.. Op God bless you for this post.. En en.. Before i go make i salute all of una.. Una Well done ooo..

One Love. #Peace#

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by nextdoor84(m): 6:57pm On Sep 20, 2016
Personally I think the Op caused all this brouhaha.your article has good intent but your presentation was wrong. You should have avoided mentioning the igbos all together and instead find another ethnic group instead..I have not seen any Nigerian that mistakes the urhobos for the igbos(there is no similarity whatsover between the two people).even the yorubas call the urhobos 'isobos'.
The war is not necessary please...Mr igboid please don't see this as big deal instead try and correct the op..thanks

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 20, 2016
Ok.. All for peace. Lets this thread proceed on it normal course. Urhobo wado. smiley No offence please.
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Sexina851(f): 6:58pm On Sep 20, 2016
Op you very right. But in my house, u dare not speak oyibo near my Dad oo, except u dey find ukpetu..

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Sanchez01: 6:58pm On Sep 20, 2016
bigfrancis21:

This should have been done from the very start. It shouldn't have escalated to this point before coming in.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 20, 2016
bigfrancis21:

we don hear
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by popizaino(m): 6:59pm On Sep 20, 2016
some of us Africans try to be whiter than the whites themselves hence feel disgusted with anything pertaining to core origin like language and dressing. the earlier the better we change our ways the better for us.
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by Efewestern: 7:13pm On Sep 20, 2016
Sexina851:
Op you very right. But in my house, u dare not speak
oyibo near my Dad oo, except u dey find ukpetu..

Lolz.. i luv that.. My mom do speak Urhobo to us.. but we reply with English.. thats the problem.. The fear of the writer (Fratermathy), is that we may loose our language in the near future if we continue like this.

Please learn Urhobo well o.. maybe i might marry u grin #Just kiding
Re: The Dearth Of Urhobo And Other Niger Deltan Languages by armadeo(m): 7:13pm On Sep 20, 2016
fratermathy:

Thank you for the commendation. May God bless you too.

What you have said is the absolute truth. It's so sad. I personally some times blame my parents for this mishap. None of my siblings or I can speak. We manage to hear small. Same with many cousins I know. None speaks or hears the language.

This would also be transfered to our children as if they cannot hear us speak the language how would they hear it.

It's sad. We need to really do something about it. Particularly those who don't even know the location of thier villages.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Emir Of Daura's One-year-old Daughter Turbaned Magajiya Yakumo Of Daura Emirate / Ooni Ogunwusi At Ogun Drums Festival - Photos / Oluwo Of Iwoland Erects Golden Gate Along Iwo-Ibadan Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.