Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

When Jesus Spoke Yoruba - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Jesus Spoke Yoruba (5389 Views)

Spoke From An Armchair In The Corner Of A Room / See What An "Oyinbo" Woman Spoke Of Recent Crisis In Ife(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 6:10am On Sep 20, 2016
The inherent mystery in Yoruba language can't be fully fathomed at conversational level. I like to spice up the comparative study of Yoruba and its ancient aramaic source by leveraging on the word of Christ in Mark 4:51, which says, 'Talita, kunmi'.

Why did Peter remember this word as much as to share with Mark and not paraphrase it? Probably because the word is Aramaic and of some 'antique value' to the natives, to speak Abraham's tongue.

Here's the whudunit, kunmi, which rhymes with 'Olukunmi' is indeed a perfect Yoruba word, but can only be deduced from its English sense, 'join me'.

Again, when Christ said '...kunmi', he was speaking proper Yoruba. Certain words lived through ages.

As for the import of this excersice, its highlighting how much of the mystery of tongues is left unexplored, and how much of depth of knowledge still elude us. Another reminder of Ur (Orun), though logo changes, the rhema often remain with us.

cc:metaphysical, opcnaija. food don ready o, my pre-nuptial thread.

1 Like

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 7:56am On Sep 21, 2016
absoluteSuccess:
The inherent mystery in Yoruba language can't be fully fathomed at conversational level. I like to spice up the comparative study of Yoruba and its ancient aramaic source by leveraging on the word of Christ in Mark 4:51, which says, 'Talita, kunmi'.

Why did Peter remember this word as much as to share with Mark and not paraphrase it? Probably because the word is Aramaic and of some 'antique value' to the natives, to speak Abraham's tongue.

Here's the whudunit, kunmi, which rhymes with 'Olukunmi' is indeed a perfect Yoruba word, but can only be deduced from its English sense, 'join me'.

Again, when Christ said '...kunmi', he was speaking proper Yoruba. Certain words lived through ages.

As for the import of this excersice, its highlighting how much of the mystery of tongues is left unexplored, and how much of depth of knowledge still elude us. Another reminder of Ur (Orun), though logo changes, the rhema often remain with us.

If I remember correctly, the actual spelling given in the bible is 'talitha kumi', meaning 'young child get up', not 'talita kunmi'. When I first saw that word as a child, what struck me was the similarity of the phrase to Igbo, given the much talked about Igbo-Hebraic relationship. Talitha kumi sounds similar in pronunciation and meaning to 'nwata kunie' in Igbo which means exactly the same thing. Igbos also say 'taata' for a small baby. Could it be related to 'talitha' of ancient Hebrew?

Other similar Igbo and ancient Hebrew words are 'Ada' (which means first daughter in both languages), Ezer/Eze (leader or king), etc. Till today, Igbos still say 'Chukwu Abiama'. Nobody knows for sure where 'Abiama' came from but it is thought to be an age-old corruption of 'Abraham', an ancient father of the Israelites. Thus, 'chukwu abiama' is the Igbo way of saying 'God of Abraham' by the Israelites and 'chukwu abiama' could mean 'omnipotent God' in Igbo. 'Ozubulu' in Anambra state is said to be from 'zebulun' in the bible. Nri history has it that their founding father was a man called 'eri', and Eri is one of the grandsons of Jacob.

Strikingly, 'bee' in Igbo and 'beth' in Hebrew mean the same thing, 'house'. Igbos say, 'bee Chukwudi' or 'Chukwudi's house' and Hebrews say 'Beth Joseph' instead.

Also, during the slave trade we often see slave trade records where Igbos were referred to as 'heeboes' or 'hibo', very much similar to 'hebrew', which is the ancient name the Israelis called themselves until the adoption of 'Jew'. Not to mention the similarities in both cultures such as male circumcision on the 8th day, isolation of women during their period, running to one's maternal place in times of trouble for safety as we see in the bible when Jacob ran to his mother's place for safety and also in Chinua Achebe's book when Okonkwo went to his mother's place for 7 years after mistakenly killing somebody, and hundreds more, prompting Olaudah Equiano to comment in his biography about the striking similarity of his Igbo cultural practices to those of the Hebrews when his master taught him the bible.

Personally, I see more striking similarities between ancient Hebrews (who were originally dark skinned) and Igbos, in terms of linguistic evidence and cultural similarity than between Hebrews and Yorubas.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by MrPresident1: 10:17am On Sep 21, 2016
bigfrancis21:

If I remember correctly, the actual spelling given in the bible is 'talitha kumi', meaning 'young child get up', not 'talita kunmi'. When I first saw that word as a child, what struck me was the similarity of the phrase to Igbo, given the much talked about Igbo-Hebraic relationship. Talitha kumi sounds similar in pronunciation and meaning to 'nwata kunie' in Igbo which means exactly the same thing. Igbos also say 'taata' for a small baby. Could it be related to 'talitha' of ancient Hebrew?

Other similar Igbo and ancient Hebrew words are 'Ada' (which means first daughter in both languages), Ezer/Eze (leader or king), etc. Till today, Igbos still say 'Chukwu Abiama'. Nobody knows for sure where 'Abiama' came from but it is thought to be an age-old corruption of 'Abraham', an ancient father of the Israelites. Thus, 'chukwu abiama' is the Igbo way of saying 'God of Abraham' by the Israelites and 'chukwu abiama' could mean 'omnipotent God' in Igbo. 'Ozubulu' in Anambra state is said to be from 'zebulun' in the bible. Nri history has it that their founding father was a man called 'eri', and Eri is one of the grandsons of Jacob.

Strikingly, 'bee' in Igbo and 'beth' in Hebrew mean the same thing, 'house'. Igbos say, 'bee Chukwudi' or 'Chukwudi's house' and Hebrews say 'Beth Joseph' instead.

Also, during the slave trade we often see slave trade records where Igbos were referred to as 'heeboes' or 'hibo', very much similar to 'hebrew', which is the ancient name the Israelis called themselves until the adoption of 'Jew'. Not to mention the similarities in both cultures such as male circumcision on the 8th day, isolation of women during their period, running to one's maternal place in times of trouble for safety as we see in the bible when Jacob ran to his mother's place for safety and also in Chinua Achebe's book when Okonkwo went to his mother's place for 7 years after mistakenly killing somebody, and hundreds more, prompting Olaudah Equiano to comment in his biography about the striking similarity of his Igbo cultural practices to those of the Hebrews when his master taught him the bible.

Personally, I see more striking similarities between ancient Hebrews (who were originally dark skinned) and Igbos, in terms of linguistic evidence and cultural similarity than between Hebrews and Yorubas.

The bolded, lol. The Yoruba people actually hold the key to the renaissance of the entire black race.

It is proved that we fell from heaven, Oduduwa fell from heaven.

The fall of Oduduwa from heaven is the parable of the fall of Israel from heaven. Yoruba is the Daughter of Zion, Yoruba is Judah.

Lamentations 2:1
How hath the Lord covered the daughter of Zion with a cloud in his anger, and cast down from heaven unto the earth the beauty of Israel, and remembered not his footstool in the day of his anger!

3 Likes

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 10:32am On Sep 21, 2016
MrPresident1:

The bolded, lol. The Yoruba people actually hold the key to the renaissance of the entire black race.

The fall of Oduduwa from heaven is the parable of the fall of Israel from heaven. Yoruba is the Daughter of Zion, Yoruba is Judah.

How hath the Lord covered the daughter of Zion with a cloud in his anger, and cast down from heaven unto the earth the beauty of Israel, and remembered not his footstool in the day of his anger!

Thats true, the writer of the book of revelation is also familiar with Yoruba mythology so to say.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 11:14am On Sep 21, 2016

Talitha kumi sounds
similar in pronunciation and meaning to
'nwata kunie' in Igbo which means exactly
the same thing. Igbos also say 'taata' for a
small baby.

@Bigfrancis, missed you old pal. Hows life? So many friends weve lost along the line.

I'm interested in 'tata', is it just the 'sweet nothing' that mothers says to cuddle the infant child, or it means something interesting inbetween?

For instant, talitha seems to be similar to atata, which is used to describe a precious child, as in 'omo atata', we have a nursery rhyme in Yoruba that says:

omo atata,
kaka kinbi egba obun,
ma kuku bi okansoso oga.

Every Yoruba knows the rhyme by heart. Atata is Yoruba for 'dearest' or 'precious' as the case may be.

1 Like

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 4:02pm On Sep 21, 2016
MrPresident1:

Lol. I actually laughed at this. It does not make sense at all, implicitly or explicitly. You do not interpret bible proverbs literally. Most of the writers of these books used symbolic terms to convey their meanings. What you just quoted simply means God's anger at the daughters of Israel who he punished. There was no 'free-fall' implied in the statement. Also, if I am correct Oduduwa was a 'male' and your quote says 'daughters of zion'. Does not make sense.

Finally, I do not think anybody fell from anywhere. I mean, how is that even possible. Science has shown that it is impossible for anybody to fall from anywhere, especially not from the sky. Sometimes, folklores are symbolic and you make a grave mistake by interpreting them literally.

With that said, I have laid my points.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 4:05pm On Sep 21, 2016
absoluteSuccess:

@Bigfrancis, missed you old pal. Hows life? So many friends weve lost along the line.

I'm interested in 'tata', is it just the 'sweet nothing' that mothers says to cuddle the infant child, or it means something interesting inbetween?

For instant, talitha seems to be similar to atata, which is used to describe a precious child, as in 'omo atata', we have a nursery rhyme in Yoruba that says:

omo atata,
kaka kinbi egba obun,
ma kuku bi okansoso oga.

Every Yoruba knows the rhyme by heart. Atata is Yoruba for 'dearest' or 'precious' as the case may be.

It's been a while my friend. I trust that you're good?

With the meaning of 'atata' you have given, you say it means 'dearest' or 'precious'. In Igbo language, 'taata' refers to a baby or child and is more similar in meaning, spelling and pronunciation to the Hebraic 'talitha'. Only with time will DNA evidence prove the ancient Hebraic and Igbo connection.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2016
bigfrancis21:

It's been a while my friend. I trust that you're good?

With the meaning of 'atata' you have given, you say it means 'dearest' or 'precious'. In Igbo language, 'taata' refers to a baby or child and is more similar in meaning, spelling and pronunciation to the Hebraic 'talitha'. Only with time will DNA evidence prove the ancient Hebraic and Igbo connection.

Quite an interesting postulation.

I am a believer in the Igbo hebraic claim. It woudn't have crop out from nowhere just like that.

Interestingly I learnt of the ijbo-jew story first from a ghanian one day on my way to the library, about 12 years ago.

The black hebrews' story is real and waiting to be told. Only a fool feel scared to tell a compelling story to an audience.

Time holds a lot of secret.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by Neolah(f): 6:05pm On Sep 21, 2016
Talitha kumi
in igbo,'taa, lite(bilite), ku ume' meaning 'today, get up, breath'

3 Likes

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 7:46am On Sep 23, 2016
Back to time immemorial, the Yoruba projection of the afterlife is perfectly in sync with the doctrine of Christ as 'the kingdom of God'.

The ancient Judians believed and expected resurrection of the dead, but how that would come about they wouldn't know.

That was why martha said of Lazarus, 'I know he would ressurrect at the last day'. Jhn.11:24.

This gave Christ the opportunity to reveal himself as the future 'ressurection' and the 'afterlife' of the hebrew cosmology, meaning that God will use him to bring the ressuction of the dead to pass.

Ancient Yoruba have a belief, which is not entangled to any doctrine and its pure, it says 'aiku pari iwa' meaning 'ressurection is the end of existence'.

Aiku is ancient Yoruba for ressurection, hence Yoruba bible quote Christ, 'emini aiku ati iye' in the verse above.

When you justapoxe this with Yoruba code that says 'aiku baale oro', the word of Christ pop up:

What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his soul?
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by 2prexios: 2:56pm On Sep 26, 2016
Countless wisdom and creeds of the founding fathers yet exist in their pristine form, begging to be explored.

But as the case has often been, the Yoruba remains more intellectually complacent to explore the wisdom of her fathers.

Who shall dig deep to unravel mystery tucked within the rubbles of time? What is equally the use of wisdom mined in antiquity to the complacent?

Thus the feeling that even if Zoroaster or Confusius or any of the antique psychic had transverse this clime, they might well be forgotten now. Why is indepth quests short in supply?

Yoruba ronu.

2 Likes

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by 2prexios: 8:04am On Sep 29, 2016
Aiku (as given by the Yoruba) is not the same as 'immortality of the soul' which is prevalent in universal religion.

Aiku is to 'rise from death', or come back to life materially, not decaying physically to enter a 'new underworld in soul' with the dead.

Like Crowther, Revd. Samuel Johnson may have well observed Yoruba believe in harmony with ancient christians to conclude that ancient Yoruba were coptic christians.

'The last day' is the same as 'ojo atisun' in Yoruba, as it is said 'ojo atisun l'ebo' or 'osika ranti ojo atisun re o', (wicked one, remeber your last day). It is the day of recorning.

Ojo atisun l'ebo means 'our piety is all for the last day'. The ancestors know about the doctrine of 'the last day' of the Abrahamic creed quite well:

kamafi kanjukanju lo le aye, kamafi warawara jakun ida. Oun taa fi s'agba, kamafi sebinu, Orunmila ni baaba debi to tutu, ka sinmisinmi.

Kawo waju ejo titi titi, ka weyin oro sun~un, nitori ojo atisun eni.

Aye to to, mojuba.

2 Likes

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by Nobody: 5:05am On Oct 02, 2016
absoluteSuccess:

'Thalitha Kume', is Igbo. The young girl Thalitha, was dead. Jesus Christ told her' 'Thalitha Ku'me' (Igbo for 'Thalitha breathe'), and breathe came to the girl.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by AjaanaOka(m): 9:20am On Oct 02, 2016
Thalita was not the girl's name.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 02, 2016
AjaanaOka:
Thalita was not the girl's name.
Talitha is an uncommon feminine name meaning "little girl" in Aramaic, given in reference to the Biblical story in the Gospel of Mark in which Jesus Christ was said to have resurrected a dead child with the words "Talitha cumi" or "Talitha kum" or "Talitha koum," meaning "Little girl, I say to you, arise!"[1]

It was among many names taken from the Bible that were used by Puritans in the American colonial era. Talitha Cumi Elderkin Stiles, a schoolteacher, born in Hartford, Connecticut in 1779, was one of only three original settlers of Cleveland who stayed there over the first winter of 1796–1797 when, attended by Seneca Native American women, she gave birth to Charles Stiles, the first white child born in the Western Reserve.[2][3][4] Six decades later, eleven-year-old Talitha Dunlap was among the between 120 and 140 men, women and children who were killed during the 1857 Mountain Meadows Massacre.[5] The name ranked 1,108 among names given to American girls born in 1881.[6] The name was also occasionally used in England by 1861, when the christening of a girl named Talitha-Cumi People was reported in The Times.[7] It remains in occasional use in the United States and other countries. Fifty five newborn American girls were given the name in 2015.[8]

In Brazil, Talita (or Talitha/Thalita) was the 100th most common name for newborn girls in 2009.[9] source:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talitha_(given_name)
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 11:37am On Oct 02, 2016
igbodefender:
Talitha is an uncommon feminine name meaning "little girl" in Aramaic, given in reference to the Biblical story in the Gospel of Mark in which Jesus Christ was said to have resurrected a dead child with the words "Talitha cumi" or "Talitha kum" or "Talitha koum," meaning "Little girl, I say to you, arise!"[1]

It was among many names taken from the Bible that were used by Puritans in the American colonial era. Talitha Cumi Elderkin Stiles, a schoolteacher, born in Hartford, Connecticut in 1779, was one of only three original settlers of Cleveland who stayed there over the first winter of 1796–1797 when, attended by Seneca Native American women, she gave birth to Charles Stiles, the first white child born in the Western Reserve.[2][3][4] Six decades later, eleven-year-old Talitha Dunlap was among the between 120 and 140 men, women and children who were killed during the 1857 Mountain Meadows Massacre.[5] The name ranked 1,108 among names given to American girls born in 1881.[6] The name was also occasionally used in England by 1861, when the christening of a girl named Talitha-Cumi People was reported in The Times.[7] It remains in occasional use in the United States and other countries. Fifty five newborn American girls were given the name in 2015.[8]

In Brazil, Talita (or Talitha/Thalita) was the 100th most common name for newborn girls in 2009.[9] source:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talitha_(given_name)

Talitha may have later expanded in usage to be a female name, but in that context of usage by Jesus, it meant 'little girl', and 'kumi' in Aramaic means 'rise up', similar to 'kunie' in Igbo. Thus, 'talitha kumi' meant 'little girl rise up'. In aramaic, 'tha' is often used as a suffix in a word to indicate 'small', as in 'talitha'. Similar to how Igbos use 'nta' to refer to small, for example 'onye nta', 'nwa nta/nwata', 'mmadu nta' etc.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by Olu317(m): 5:10pm On Oct 02, 2016
Have you not seen in the Bible Obadiah name?, Yoruba had Obatala, Obalufon, Obalufe. Doesn't it make sense to those that claims Hebrews blood?, we don't need to claim anybody's blood lineage because we are a proud Race with all it take to be among the best in the world .But the white have never stopped doing heavy research on Yoruba Race that have the highest ancient Israelites traditions. We didn't even have time to calls ourselves Hebrews and yet some of the most anointed men of God Africa are Yoruba blood, shouldn't Yoruba be thankful to God for giving us everything?,Yes we are thankful. If some of you believe your culture is closer to Israelites then Read “Origin of Yoruba and “the lost tribes of Israel" by Dierk Lange (a German ) so don't even think a white man will be biased on his findings. Enjoy the book and see who we are. Even if we are yet to fully acknowledge our position in the world.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 5:27pm On Oct 02, 2016
Olu317:
Have you not seen in the Bible Obadiah name?, Yoruba had Obatala, Obalufon, Obalufe. Doesn't it make sense to those that claims Hebrews blood?, we don't need to claim anybody's blood lineage because we are a proud Race with all it take to be among the best in the world .But the white have never stopped doing heavy research on Yoruba Race that have the highest ancient Israelites traditions. We didn't even have time to calls ourselves Hebrews and yet some of the most anointed men of God Africa are Yoruba blood, shouldn't Yoruba be thankful to God for giving us everything?,Yes we are thankful. If some of you believe your culture is closer to Israelites then Read “Origin of Yoruba and “the lost tribes of Israel" by Dierk Lange (a German ) so don't even think a white man will be biased on his findings. Enjoy the book and see who we are. Even if we are yet to fully acknowledge our position in the world.

Lol. I just skimmed through the book and what he wrote are mere conjetures. I cracked up when he suggested 'yoruba' comes from 'yaru'b' in the middle east, showing his ignorance on the fact that 'yoruba' comes from the Hausas in reference to the 'Oyo' kingdom. Anyone who reads it can tell it is obviously false. grin
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by 2prexios: 4:57pm On Oct 03, 2016
And so we come to the words of the fathers as engraven in oracular dicta from time. The words of Orunmila is the words of wisdom.

His name is often paraphrased as 'orun meni ola', meaning 'heaven knows who will succeed'.

The Yoruba had always look up to heaven, in time of trouble, and the saying attached to this act with arms spread is 'Olodumare, nibo loju e wa?'

That is 'seeking the face of God'. Orunmila is as his name implies, a messanger of God of heavens, the most high. So he was quoted to have given us a message:

'kamafi kanjukanju lole aye', meaning, we should not lead an anxious dominated life.

Some of us familiar with the word of Paul to Philippians, you will see the word of God echoed through, which implores the believer to be anxious for nothing.

Phil.4:6-8.

1 Like

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by 2prexios: 8:29pm On Oct 04, 2016
Now to the second line of instruction given by orunmila to the ancient Yoruba, and I quote:

'kamafi warawara jakun ida'

meaning, 'we must not be too eager to unshealth the sword'.

This particular line of instruction shows that the audience of Orunmila at the material time were the elite guards overseeing the affairs of a people on the move.

The precept being reviewed derived from 'owonrinsogbe' a path in ifa where odu owonrin meji mix with odu eji-ogbe, an omo odu.

Lagos, to Dahomians is called Ahonrin till date, from Yoruba 'awonrin' meaning 'the emigrants'. Owonrin is the cryptic form by which the term survived in ifa oracular dicta.

I also i'm from 'owun olowunrin', handlers or keepers of the tradition of the emigrants. Irin is Yoruba for journey, and Lagos was a natural harbour of the ancient Yoruba mariners.

This seafaring business gave us the term 'ijebu', the marine vouyage.

1 Like

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 6:38am On Oct 06, 2016
We are familiar with Ijebu-jesha. The Yoruba of old revered their founding fathers as 'Osa', meaning 'the chosen ones'. They were they founding fathers immortalized as 'osa akunlebo', icons that men bow to serve.

The term ijebu-jesa crept out of idealizing 'the chosen's 'marine vouyage' or put more aptly, "the chosen travellers' marine vouyage".

"Je" is to travel or graze far away, hence Yoruba called a certain bird, "eye jomijoke", meaning an amphibian bird, because it feeds on water and land.

Well, the journey of life or venture in Yoruba is sometimes called igbokegbodo: jorneying through land and rivers.

It also means seeking upland and rivers. That's when we factor in gbo as search, as you have it in the Awori dialect of the Yoruba.

First, this good land was vacant. The seekers sought it out. The place names are the ancestors' geological touchpoints.

These were conquered first in mind and reality before it became a byeword. With that, the founding fathers, who bequethed us such terms were 'aphimbo-terrestial' in business themselves.

The Awori, who grew from people that the ancestors settled at the coast boast of themselves as 'omo oluwe wun', meaning 'the sons of the divers'.

Yes, sons of the divers we are.

2 Likes

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 7:52am On Oct 11, 2016
Yet another line of instruction from the sagacious king obarisa Orunmila is this: 'Oun taa fi sagba, kamafi sebinu.'

What can we say but that patience distinguish a thoroughbred leader. When Jesus told peter to forgive his brother some 77 times, he want his followers to eschew rancourous revenge.

In the same vein, Orunmila was telling the elite guards, you must not exploit your advantage as a weapon when angry.

What we have as edge should not be weaponized.

Great leaders know the import of peace. If a leader encourages strife, the beast in man is let lose and pure anarchy looms.

Great men knows this and tend to tame the beast in man as did Orunmila in his historic edict. And so, peace reside in Yorubaland from time.

Orunmila to to fun~un.

Agba ti'o b'inu l'omo re 'po.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 3:23pm On Oct 11, 2016
2prexios:
And so we come to the words of the fathers as engraven in oracular dicta from time. The words of Orunmila is the words of wisdom.

His name is often paraphrased as 'orun meni ola', meaning 'heaven knows who will succeed'.

The Yoruba had always look up to heaven, in time of trouble, and the saying attached to this act with arms spread is 'Olodumare, nibo loju e wa?'

That is 'seeking the face of God'. Orunmila is as his name implies, a messanger of God of heavens, the most high. So he was quoted to have given us a message:

'kamafi kanjukanju lole aye', meaning, we should not lead an anxious dominated life.

Some of us familiar with the word of Paul to Philippians, you will see the word of God echoed through, which implores the believer to be anxious for nothing.

Phil.4:6-8.

absoluteSuccess:
Yet another line of instruction from the sagacious king obarisa Orunmila is this: 'Oun taa fi sagba, kamafi sebinu.'

What can we say but that patience distinguish a thoroughbred leader. When Jesus told peter to forgive his brother some 77 times, he want his followers to eschew rancourous revenge.

In the same vein, Orunmila was telling the elite guards, you must not exploit your advantage as a weapon when angry.

What we have as edge should not be weaponized.

Great leaders know the import of peace. If a leader encourages strife, the beast in man is let lose and pure anarchy looms.

Great men knows this and tend to tame the beast in man as did Orunmila in his historic edict. And so, peace reside in Yorubaland from time.

Orunmila to to fun~un.

Agba ti'o b'inu l'omo re 'po.

absoluteSuccess:
We are familiar with Ijebu-jesha. The Yoruba of old revered their founding fathers as 'Osa', meaning 'the chosen ones'. They were they founding fathers immortalized as 'osa akunlebo', icons that men bow to serve.

The term ijebu-jesa crept out of idealizing 'the chosen's marine vouyage' or put more aptly, 'the chosen travellers' marine travel'.

Je is to travel or graze far away, hence Yoruba called a certain bird, eye jomijoke, meaning an amphibian and terrestial bird, because it feeds on water and land.

Well the journey of life or venture in Yoruba is sometimes called igbokegbodo: jorneying on land and on rivers. It also means seeking upland and rivers.

This geological touchpoints are conquered first in mind and reality before it became a byeword.

Meaning that the founding fathers, who bequethed us such terms were 'aphimbo-terrestial' in business themselves.

The Awori, who grew from people that the ancestors settled at the coast boast as 'omo oluwe wun', meaning 'the sons of the divers'.

Yes, we are.

2prexios:
Now to the second line of instruction given by orunmila to the ancient Yoruba, and I quote:

'kamafi warawara jakun ida'

meaning, 'we must not be too eager to unshealth the sword'.

This particular line of instruction shows that the audience of Orunmila at the material time were the elite guards overseeing the affairs of a people on the move.

The precept being reviewed derived from 'owonrinsogbe' a path in ifa where odu owonrin meji mix with odu eji-ogbe, an omo odu.

Lagos, to Dahomians is called Ahonrin till date, from Yoruba 'awonrin' meaning 'the emigrants'. Owonrin is the cryptic form by which the term survived in ifa oracular dicta.

I also i'm from 'owun olowunrin', handlers or keepers of the tradition of the emigrants. Irin is Yoruba for journey, and Lagos was a natural harbour of the ancient Yoruba mariners.

This seafaring business gave us the term 'ijebu', the marine vouyage.

Honestly speaking, how do all these conjectures here directly relate to the topic of this thread? Isn't the title of the thread supposed to be in reference to the spoken aramaic of Jesus? Why bringing conjectures into this?

1 Like

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 7:24am On Oct 15, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Honestly speaking, how do all these conjectures here directly relate to the topic of this thread? Isn't the title of the thread supposed to be in reference to the spoken aramaic of Jesus? Why bringing conjectures into this?

Jesus said, 'he that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much, if you are not faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will give you the true riches?'

I'm faithful in my 'conjectures' as you call it, its my Yoruba language's 'intellectual heritage' that I'm poundering upon. That to me is, a noble exercise.

I'm not a slave of Aramaic word of Christ, truth never enslaves but sets free.

I never stopped you from hearing about Jesus from other source if I've digress, or did I promise to produce a new kind of bible?

I'm praying on daily basis for you to have your eldorado 'Igbo-Jew DNA breakthrough' that you dreamt of earlier on in your post, but you are here shading my own indeginous effort.

1 Like

Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 8:05am On Oct 15, 2016
absoluteSuccess:

Jesus said, 'he that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much, if you are not faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will give you the true riches?'

I'm faithful in my 'conjectures' as you call it, its my Yoruba language's 'intellectual heritage' that I'm poundering upon. That to me is, a noble exercise.

I'm not a slave of Aramaic word of Christ, truth never enslaves but sets free.

I never stopped you from hearing about Jesus from other source if I've digress, or did I promise to produce a new kind of bible?

I'm praying on daily basis for you to have your eldorado 'Igbo-Jew DNA breakthrough' that you dreamt of earlier on in your post, but you are here shading my own indeginous effort.

Lmao. I could come up with 1000 similar sayings in Igbo and ancient Hebrew you know but at the end of the day many could be mere speculation or coincidence.

Anyway sir, ride on sir. cool
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 2:35pm On Feb 08, 2022
bigfrancis21:

Lmao. I could come up with 1000 similar sayings in Igbo and ancient Hebrew you know but at the end of the day many could be mere speculation or coincidence.

Anyway sir, ride on sir. cool

Comparative review helps the researcher unravel the thousand mysteries lost to mankind.

At the end, it points to common beginning of man. Nothing should stop knowledge.
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by Equal2DeTask(m): 2:50pm On Feb 08, 2022
absoluteSuccess:

Comparative review helps the researcher unravel the thousand mysteries lost to mankind.

At the end, it points to common beginning of man. Nothing should stop knowledge.

Hello Sir...how can I contact you?
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 12:56am On Feb 10, 2022
. my contact is on my homepage here
Re: When Jesus Spoke Yoruba by absoluteSuccess: 7:47am On Feb 13, 2022
For once, I'm lucky.

Money is looking for me out of the blues. Only that they don't send money to the bank I uses.

May we found luck from people we don't know.

I'm opening an account with the preferred banks of my benefactor ASAP.

It beats me how I got lucky or how the person got my WhatsApp number, he said it's because I'm qualified for the grant.

Thank you sweet Jesus.

(1) (Reply)

Agemo Festival Today In Ijebu-ode / Mboho Mkparawa Ye Ubo Ikpa Akwa Ibom / A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.