Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,470 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. (2883 Views)

IUD Turns Woman's Ovary To Black, Loses Her Legs (Disturbing Photos) / "I Don't Know What It's Like To Walk But I Know How To Live"; Disabled Lady. PIC / Die Hard Survivor: Baby Clutches Unto The IUD Planted To Prevent His Conception (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 6:27pm On Sep 20, 2016
Nearly 20% of women didn't know anything about the effectiveness of the IUD, according to a survey IUDs and implants are more effective than the birth control pill and condoms

Editor's Note: Kelly Wallace is CNN's digital correspondent and editor-at-large covering family, career and life. Read her
other columns and follow her reports at
CNN Parents and on Twitter @kellywallacetv.

(CNN) — On the very first episode of the MTV reality series "Teen Mom," back in 2009, the cameras were rolling as Catelynn, one of the girls on the show, talked to her doctor about birth control. She made the decision to get a Mirena intrauterine device, known as an IUD; it's more than 99% effective in preventing pregnancy and lasts for five years.

Those facts are part of a concerted effort by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy , working in conjunction with entertainment outlets such as MTV, to educate teens and young women about the range of birth control methods available to them.

But judging by the results of a new survey by the Urban Institute, far too many women still don't know anything about the so-called longer-acting reversible contraceptives, the IUD and the implant, which are more effective at preventing pregnancy than birth control pill and condoms.

While 90% and 86% of women 18 to 44 were very aware of condoms and the pill respectively, only 31% said they heard a lot about IUDs and implants, according to the Urban Institute survey of roughly 800 women.

"It's not a surprise that women were most aware of the condom and birth control pills, but the lack of awareness of IUDs and, in particular, implants was definitely surprising," said Adele Shartzer, a research associate at the Urban Institute and one of the co-authors of the survey. "I guess I just assumed that most women have at least heard of these methods, but it seems like they really haven't."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/14/health/iud-birth-control-knowledge-gaps/index.html

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 6:31pm On Sep 20, 2016
for women thinking of which birth control measures to take, IUD remains more effective than birth control pills and condoms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 7:35pm On Sep 20, 2016
uboma:
for women thinking of which birth control measures to take, IUD remains more effective than birth control pills and condoms.
Okay, thanks for the info dokita uboma grin

IUD makes sense. Condoms diminish sexual pleasure while pills have side effects like fvcked up menstrual cycles, bloating and weight gain. IUD is very effective and can only be professionally fixed by a doctor.

I learnt the above in SS2 Biology so pardon me if I got some things wrong grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 8:57pm On Sep 20, 2016
Ishilove:

Okay, thanks for the info dokita uboma grin

IUD makes sense. Condoms diminish sexual pleasure while pills have side effects like fvcked up menstrual cycles, bloating and weight gain. IUD is very effective and can only be professionally fixed by a doctor.

I learnt the above in SS2 Biology so pardon me if I got some things wrong grin

lol.

I am not a Doctor.
But come o, how did you know that condoms diminish sexual pleasure?
Hmmmmm!
Lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 10:18pm On Sep 20, 2016
uboma:

lol.

I am not a Doctor.
Hmmmmm!
Lol
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 10:23pm On Sep 20, 2016
Ishilove:
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin

You must talk o! grin
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 11:23pm On Sep 20, 2016
uboma:

You must talk o!
grin
I plead the 5th grin grin
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 11:36pm On Sep 20, 2016
Ishilove:
I plead the 5th grin grin

Okay.
but next time there will be no mercy.
grin
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Rehil(f): 6:21am On Sep 21, 2016
uboma:
having a foreign object there is not hygienic. Read online that some percentage of women with cervical cancer or uterine cancer had this.My best method n safest is the under arm implant.I have used like all the family planning methods but this is the best.
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 6:34am On Sep 21, 2016
Rehil:
having a foreign object there is not hygienic. Read online that some percentage of women with cervical cancer or uterine cancer had this.My best method n safest is the under arm implant.I have used like all the family planning methods but this is the best.

The articles says IUDs and implants are the safest birth control measures for women.

It is still good to read your opinion about the IUD.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Adesiji77: 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2016
uboma:

lol.

I am not a Doctor.
Hmmmmm!
Lol

I was about asking her the same question cheesy grin

Looping: Ishilove
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 7:12pm On Sep 21, 2016
Adesiji77:

I was about asking her the same question cheesy grin

Looping: Ishilove
Lmao! I plead the 5th cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 7:13pm On Sep 21, 2016
uboma:

Okay.

but next time there will be no mercy.

grin
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 7:15pm On Sep 21, 2016
Rehil:
All these implantation create room for cancer, in my unlearned opinion. I think condoms are the best, even though they're not the most convenient

Eyinjuege, your input is needed

1 Like

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Adesiji77: 7:48pm On Sep 21, 2016
Ishilove:

Lmao! I plead the 5th cheesy

Accepted.

However, note that you have used your NL ''lifeline'' for 2016.

You can only plead 5th once in a year! tongue

cc: uboma
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by eyinjuege: 10:51pm On Sep 21, 2016
Ishilove:

All these implantation create room for cancer, in my unlearned opinion. I think condoms are the best, even though they're not the most convenient

Eyinjuege, your input is needed

Hello Madame,

IUDs are safe and haven't been linked to cancers (non that I know of). The main link to cervical cancer is certain types of HPV infection which is sexually transmitted. In fact it's seen as a cause of the cancer. The cause of most types of cancers is unknown, but for cervical cancer esp it's caused by HPV virus.

Pills carry more health risks especially in forming blood clots.

But the choice of a contraceptive varies per individual as everyone's circumstances are different.
Some people are fat, hypertensive. You wouldn't want to give such pills.

Infact, IUDs and implants are preferable choices if I were to choose.
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 11:03pm On Sep 21, 2016
eyinjuege:

Hello Madame,

IUDs are safe and haven't been linked to cancers (non that I know of). The main link to cervical cancer is certain types of HPV infection which is sexually transmitted. In fact it's seen as a cause of the cancer. The cause of most types of cancers is unknown, but for cervical cancer esp it's caused by HPV virus.

Pills carry more health risks especially in forming blood clots.

But the choice of a contraceptive varies per individual as everyone's circumstances are different.
Some people are fat, hypertensive. You wouldn't want to give such pills.

Infact, IUDs and implants are preferable choices if I were to choose.
Interesting... thanks.

Is it surgically inserted?

Rehil, a confirmed dokita haf spoken grin
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 11:21pm On Sep 21, 2016
Adesiji77:

Accepted.
However, note that you have used your NL ''lifeline'' for 2016.
You can only plead 5th once in a year! tongue
cc: uboma

I concur 101%
Our eyes are on her henceforth....
And I am positive that she will fall sooner than later.
grin

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by eyinjuege: 5:32am On Sep 22, 2016
Ishilove:

Interesting... thanks.

Is it surgically inserted?

Rehil, a confirmed dokita haf spoken grin

Yes, they are surgically inserted.

But they're very short, minor procedures, like 15min. You don't have to be asleep for the procedures i. e either the implants or iud insertion.
Implants are put on the arm, and the Mirena thru the vj.
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Adesiji77: 8:37pm On Sep 22, 2016
uboma:

I concur 101%

grin

Yeah Yeah cheesy grin
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 8:42pm On Sep 22, 2016
uboma:

I concur 101%

grin
My story remains unchanged. I learnt it in school! cheesy
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by Ishilove: 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2016
eyinjuege:

Yes, they are surgically inserted.

But they're very short, minor procedures, like 15min. You don't have to be asleep for the procedures i. e either the implants or iud insertion.
Implants are put on the arm, and the Mirena thru the vj.
O my embarassed
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by ayobase(m): 11:05am On Sep 24, 2016
I will stay put with Condom, 8mins of flesh to flesh, then 2mins of Condom for last episode.

I don't think i'm gonna be comfortable with poking, implanting, inserting, and injecting my wife for birth control.

Women are always at the receiving end, when dem go discover for Men too...lol

1 Like

Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by ayobase(m): 11:07am On Sep 24, 2016
Ishilove:
My story remains unchanged. I learnt it in school! cheesy
Why u come dey laugh?
Uboma, have you sold your Bimmer?
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 11:39am On Sep 24, 2016
ayobase:
I will stay put with Condom, 8mins of flesh to flesh, then 2mins of Condom for last episode.

I don't think i'm gonna be comfortable with poking, implanting, inserting, and injecting my wife for birth control.

Women are always at the receiving end, when dem go discover for Men too...lol

lol.

Your preferred method cannot provide 100% guarantee.

The semen is enough to impregnate a woman.....

I agree that women are always at the receiving end. It is a pity though.

there are some methods meant for men but it is irreversible when applied.
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 11:40am On Sep 24, 2016
ayobase:

Why u come dey laugh?
Uboma, have you sold your Bimmer?

It is still available....
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by ayobase(m): 1:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
uboma:

lol.

Your preferred method cannot provide 100% guarantee.

The semen is enough to impregnate a woman.....

I agree that women are always at the receiving end. It is a pity though.

there are some methods meant for men but it is irreversible when applied.

Hmmm!

When at the bridge, we shall surely cross.

My wife will be allowed to choose what she prefers, then scrutinize thoroughly before administering.

Your bimmer would have been long bought if not for economy current state, and you no wan gree 600k.

Make we dey see sha, na Abuja we kuku dey.
Re: Do You Know What An IUD Is? Many Do Not. by uboma(m): 1:43pm On Sep 24, 2016
ayobase:

Hmmm!

When at the bridge, we shall surely cross.

My wife will be allowed to choose what she prefers, then scrutinize thoroughly before administering.

Your bimmer would have been long bought if not for economy current state, and you no wan gree 600k.

Make we dey see sha, na Abuja we kuku dey.

lol.

You are right.

Thanks for the offer but not enough to take her home.

I am in no pressure to sell my bimmer...

Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Come In Here For All Organic Needs!!! / How To Remove Bumps Behind The Head / GNLD Bundle Supplements For Prostate Disorders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.