Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,962 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks (11020 Views)

Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU / School Without Roof In Oshodi Begs For Attention- The Guardian / Borno To Prosecute Parents Who Fail To Send Children To School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 20, 2016

Two days after the resumption of schools in Lagos State, school proprietors say many of the students returned without reading and writing materials.

In separate interviews with NAN, the school owners told NAN that it was unusual for pupils to start a new academic session without at least 70 per cent of their textbooks ready.

Ifejola Dada, president of the Association for Formidable Education Development, confirmed that in her school, most pupils resumed school without textbooks.

Dada said this was a new development unlike what obtained in the past when pupils resumed on the first day with their school materials ready.

She attributed the development to the current recession in the country.

“We are not talking about the school fees now because it is obvious that the recession is biting hard on parents and guardians,” she said.

“We could not even increase the school fees but what we are battling now is the children’s readiness for school as indicated by the purchase of textbooks.”

Kalu Orji, proprietor, Rockford Private School, Ikorodu, said the effect of the recession on students and their parents was very visible.

Orji said apart from parents of new in takes who had met the school requirements, regular pupils were still to meet up with the demands of the new session.

“Before resumption, I had to put things in place in my school since it was a new session to make the parents happy on resumption,” he said.

“However, it was not easy because funds were limited as a result of poor response to fee payment and the hike in the prices of things.

“Parents and pupils are affected because most of the pupils do not have the necessary school items yet.’’

Also Gladys Grimes, proprietress, Gladys and Grimes Educational Service, Alagbado, said there was an exceptionally low turnout of students for the new session.

She said it was difficult to tell whether the students had met the requirements for resumption because of the low turnout.

Grimes added that resumption was usually not rapid but that turnout had been exceptionally low this session.

[url=https://www.thecable.ng/recession-parents-send-children-school-without-textbooks?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3597820123]TheCable[/url]

[

1 Like

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 20, 2016
I wonder why people hold and disseminating the spurious impression that Jonathan did not save for the rainy day, The notion that President Buhari met an empty treasury when he took over is false because President Jonathan handed over $30 billion in Foreign Reserves, $5 billion in accrued Liquefied Natural Gas dividends, $3 billion in the Excess Crude Account, and around $2.4 billion in the Sovereign Wealth Fund.

Buhari was handed over a budget of about N4.5 trillion passed by Jonathan, few weeks before handover.

Around N5.3 trillion was received as oil income in 2015, how was this money squandered by Buhari?

With the landing cost of petrol to the country at N89 per litre given the drop in price of crude oil, the Buhari’s federal government still increased fuel price to N145 per litre.

Effectively Buhari is making a profit of N56 per litre of petrol bought by Nigerian. So, why does Buhari keep giving the impression that Nigeria is broke?

With this increased revenue from a new income stream, why hasn’t the Buhari government this new income? Why can’t states get more money from the federation account? Why can’t states pay salaries?

Nigeria is in recession because of Buhari's incompetence and irrational decisions.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by emeijeh(m): 10:08pm On Sep 20, 2016
I hope its not this guy they gave an empty bag to resume school? grin
If not, na double wahala for im mama

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by deedondavi(m): 10:08pm On Sep 20, 2016
Front page.... Buhari why
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by edlion57(m): 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2016
Our president no get certificate and yet he became a president ...so der can make it without textbook

29 Likes

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Nairadays: 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2016
God help us.

1 Like

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by deedondavi(m): 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2016
Front page.... Buhari why angryFront page.... Buhari why

3 Likes

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by rosieflower2(f): 10:11pm On Sep 20, 2016
Dis is serious

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by centboy123456(m): 10:11pm On Sep 20, 2016
Na wow tinz really hard for 9ja dis people one kills us oh god help us for dis apc govt

1 Like

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by ayamkhalifah(m): 10:14pm On Sep 20, 2016
Oluwa bless me and my family...so we won't feel any pitch abouh dis recession

3 Likes

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Mayor21(m): 10:15pm On Sep 20, 2016
Hmm.. It hasn't been easy at all
The school fees of my two siblings in a unity school in my state has skyrocketed, popsi sa dem no go go school till January.
God punish change.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Aroh48(m): 10:16pm On Sep 20, 2016
The dullard have finish Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by NameCheckers: 10:17pm On Sep 20, 2016
Thunder fire buhari and the womb he came from angry I know I just touched some wrong nerves but b4 dem come for me cheesy check d below pic tongue

15 Likes

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Adedayo97(m): 10:18pm On Sep 20, 2016
Hmm oluwa is involved
blueto:
I wonder why people hold and disseminating the spurious impression that Jonathan did not save for the rainy day, The notion that President Buhari met an empty treasury when he took over is false because President Jonathan handed over $30 billion in Foreign Reserves, $5 billion in accrued Liquefied Natural Gas dividends, $3 billion in the Excess Crude Account, and around $2.4 billion in the Sovereign Wealth Fund.

Buhari was handed over a budget of about N4.5 trillion passed by Jonathan, few weeks before handover.

Around N5.3 trillion was received as oil income in 2015, how was this money squandered by Buhari?

With the landing cost of petrol to the country at N89 per litre given the drop in price of crude oil, the Buhari’s federal government still increased fuel price to N145 per litre.

Effectively Buhari is making a profit of N56 per litre of petrol bought by Nigerian. So, why does Buhari keep giving the impression that Nigeria is broke?

With this increased revenue from a new income stream, why hasn’t the Buhari government this new income? Why can’t states get more money from the federation account? Why can’t states pay salaries?

Nigeria is in recession because of Buhari's incompetence and irrational decisions.
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by zubby55(m): 10:19pm On Sep 20, 2016
But I heard recently that Lagos state is not in recession

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by candidbabe(f): 10:19pm On Sep 20, 2016
Buhari why?
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by kaytolee(m): 10:20pm On Sep 20, 2016
oga bayI o
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by kayttah(m): 10:20pm On Sep 20, 2016
embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by leofab(f): 10:21pm On Sep 20, 2016
Tinubu and OBJ una see una life outside?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by olawandey007(m): 10:23pm On Sep 20, 2016
buhari see your life outside....and your children study well in abroad..God punish any symbol with broom

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Swizdom(m): 10:23pm On Sep 20, 2016
They should as well send them to youtube with 1000 naira etisalat 3gig worth of data than wasting school fees, sha.
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by BlindAngel: 10:29pm On Sep 20, 2016
Thunder fire Change.
Thunder fire all those that voted for this foolish government and still has no regreat for what is happening presently.
Thunder go fire all of una.

5 Likes

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Lastborn12(m): 10:29pm On Sep 20, 2016
Is a lie Lagos state is immune from Recession grin grin grin grin

NCAN Maiduguri branch reporting from Federal low cost

Afonjas and lie are like. Please someone help me out with that pic mean while enjoy this as we wait for the pic

8 Likes

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Nairadays: 10:30pm On Sep 20, 2016
blueto:

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by franchuks(m): 10:31pm On Sep 20, 2016
Quite sad.. It is really trying times for most families.
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by corlin2(m): 10:31pm On Sep 20, 2016
The whole recession of a thing is really confusing.
In recession mode , 3.4bn was spent for a campaign.
Like seriously , I dnt get it. They should just tell us the truth about the whole thing ........
I Dont know where they still get all the billions to spend for unnecessary projects , while we are stil in recession mode.

1 Like

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by BlindAngel: 10:33pm On Sep 20, 2016
blueto:

The most crystal clear post i have ever read all my life since i joined nairaland.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by babasolo(m): 10:35pm On Sep 20, 2016
Abegi Joor, During My Time Na Only Big Men Children The Get Text Book. We The Even Call "READER" TEXT Book Or No Text Book We Passed Exams, I Even Pass English That My Teacher Said I Will Fail.
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Temidayo9(m): 10:56pm On Sep 20, 2016
babasolo:
Abegi Joor, During My Time Na Only Big Men Children The Get Text Book. We The Even Call "READER" TEXT Book Or No Text Book We Passed Exams, I Even Pass English That My Teacher Said I Will Fail.

I wonder oo. Pls tell them, i never buy textbook throughout my primary and secondary school days in this same Nigeria and there was no recession.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by Emereolevanwill(m): 11:00pm On Sep 20, 2016
change turned chains. I spit on bubu.
Re: Recession: Parents Send Children To School Without Textbooks by oluamid(m): 11:00pm On Sep 20, 2016
blueto:

Wait, is it Buhari that is selling fuel?

And just so you know, Jonathan inherited about $67 billion in foreign reserve from Yar 'adua where did all that money went when crude was selling for an all time-high of $110 per barrel?

I'm not trying to extricate Buhari, I only want to show that Jonathan failed too.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Convert Hnd Certificate To B.sc In 3 Months / MAPOLY inaugurates 280-Seater ICT Lab Funded By TETFUND / Weirdest, Oddest And Most Amazing World Records.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.