Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,745 members, 7,813,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka (2488 Views)

Xenophobic Attacks: Why Nigeria Won't Retaliate Now - Gbajabiamila / Doyin Okupe: I Knowingly Lied During The 2015 Presidential Campaign / PDP Did Not Lose 2015 Presidential Election – Ciroma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by mezynaija(m): 9:34pm On Sep 20, 2016
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, says he does not regret supporting President Muhammadu Buhari during the electioneering, adding that Nigeria would not have survived four more years of former President Goodluck Jonathan’s rule.

Soyinka added that the revelation of stolen loot such as the arms purchase fraud justified his position that Nigeria was being run aground by the last administration.

The Nobel laureate said this during a programme titled, ‘Channels Book Club’ on Channels Television on Tuesday.

The playwright confessed that he used to have a bad impression of Buhari who he once described as a “devil for whom in my calculation, no spoon existed long enough to justify the risk even of an impromptu snack.”

However, Soyinka said many of his trusted companions were able to convince him during the electioneering that Buhari had changed and that the highhandedness that characterised his military rule in the 1980s could not be repeated during a democratic rule.

He said, “We were left with two credible contestants in terms of catchment area for the nation. We had reached, in my view, the bottom. I became convinced that if this country underwent four more years under President Jonathan, the country would run aground completely. I looked at the record and said this cannot go on, this has to stop.

“Then I looked at this man who had contested elections three times before and said he would not contest anymore and then decided to throw his hat in the ring. I talked to people and I said do you know what you’re doing?

“And after weighing all the options, I said let’s try a new one. And since in electoral terms, he was the one, I guardedly, with reservations, announced that no, not a continuation under Jonathan.

“And so very reluctantly, I want this on record, because I made it quite clear, I weighed the two of them and I said this nation stands a better chance under Buhari. And what has been coming out now? Look at all that has been coming out? Look at the figures (loot) which virtually hammer one into the ground just the sheer enormity of the robbery of this nation that is getting exposed progressively. It shows that we did not make a bad choice.”

When asked if he was completely satisfied with Buhari’s six months in office, Soyinka said, “Not totally but Buhari has proven that there is such a thing as a born again democrat.”

Asked his opinion of the recent pro-Biafran agitations, Soyinka said there was a need for the government to meet with pro-Biafran groups to understand the real problem.

The playwright said the government should convoke a fresh National Conference which would address the feelings of pro-Biafran elements.

The octogenarian said the government could not wish away with idea of Biafra because ideas could not be killed.

He said the government should treat the matter dispassionately as there was nothing evil about secession. He noted that Nigeria even ceded the Bakassi peninsula to Cameroun.

Soyinka said, “So, let us sit down, let us talk once again about restructuring the nation in a way that no one will want to leave. The agitations, for me, are not surprising. It was expected that it would happen sooner or later.

“So, I am referring to a genuine and authentic National Conference. Not like the one that former President Olusegun Obasanjo called which was meant to try to perpetuate himself in office.

“The one under Jonathan was extensive; it covered lots and lots of ground. It proposed some far-reaching changes, not far-reaching for me, but far-reaching. It is about time we went back to efforts like that; genuine ones like that.”

Source: http://www.jtownconnect.com/2016/09/nigeria-wouldnt-have-survived-if.html

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by madridguy(m): 9:35pm On Sep 20, 2016
Only the children of hate and paid e-wailers will argue this fact.

Sai Baba till 2050.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by mezynaija(m): 9:37pm On Sep 20, 2016
cc lalasticlala, ijebabe, MissyB3, myndy44
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 20, 2016
I love the man's opinion abt certain things nd loathe his opinion abt certain things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by Ahmeduana(m): 9:45pm On Sep 20, 2016
mezynaija:
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, says he does not regret supporting President Muhammadu Buhari during the electioneering, adding that Nigeria would not have survived four more years of former President Goodluck Jonathan’s rule.

Soyinka added that the revelation of stolen loot such as the arms purchase fraud justified his position that Nigeria was being run aground by the last administration.

The Nobel laureate said this during a programme titled, ‘Channels Book Club’ on Channels Television on Tuesday.

The playwright confessed that he used to have a bad impression of Buhari who he once described as a “devil for whom in my calculation, no spoon existed long enough to justify the risk even of an impromptu snack.”

However, Soyinka said many of his trusted companions were able to convince him during the electioneering that Buhari had changed and that the highhandedness that characterised his military rule in the 1980s could not be repeated during a democratic rule.

He said, “We were left with two credible contestants in terms of catchment area for the nation. We had reached, in my view, the bottom. I became convinced that if this country underwent four more years under President Jonathan, the country would run aground completely. I looked at the record and said this cannot go on, this has to stop.

“Then I looked at this man who had contested elections three times before and said he would not contest anymore and then decided to throw his hat in the ring. I talked to people and I said do you know what you’re doing?

“And after weighing all the options, I said let’s try a new one. And since in electoral terms, he was the one, I guardedly, with reservations, announced that no, not a continuation under Jonathan.

“And so very reluctantly, I want this on record, because I made it quite clear, I weighed the two of them and I said this nation stands a better chance under Buhari. And what has been coming out now? Look at all that has been coming out? Look at the figures (loot) which virtually hammer one into the ground just the sheer enormity of the robbery of this nation that is getting exposed progressively. It shows that we did not make a bad choice.”

When asked if he was completely satisfied with Buhari’s six months in office, Soyinka said, “Not totally but Buhari has proven that there is such a thing as a born again democrat.”

Asked his opinion of the recent pro-Biafran agitations, Soyinka said there was a need for the government to meet with pro-Biafran groups to understand the real problem.

The playwright said the government should convoke a fresh National Conference which would address the feelings of pro-Biafran elements.

The octogenarian said the government could not wish away with idea of Biafra because ideas could not be killed.

He said the government should treat the matter dispassionately as there was nothing evil about secession. He noted that Nigeria even ceded the Bakassi peninsula to Cameroun.

Soyinka said, “So, let us sit down, let us talk once again about restructuring the nation in a way that no one will want to leave. The agitations, for me, are not surprising. It was expected that it would happen sooner or later.

“So, I am referring to a genuine and authentic National Conference. Not like the one that former President Olusegun Obasanjo called which was meant to try to perpetuate himself in office.

“The one under Jonathan was extensive; it covered lots and lots of ground. It proposed some far-reaching changes, not far-reaching for me, but far-reaching. It is about time we went back to efforts like that; genuine ones like that.”

Source: http://www.jtownconnect.com/2016/09/nigeria-wouldnt-have-survived-if.html
THIS MAN SHOULD JUST KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT, AFTER PACKAGING FAECES FOR THE MUMUS AS CHOCOLATE AND AND TELLING THE ZOMBIES THAT A DRESSED MONKEY IS HUMAN, AND STILL HE WON'T ALLOWED THE ZOMBIES TO ENJOY THEIR MISERABLE LIFE IN SILENT, MUST HE TAUNT THEM?

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by T9ksy(m): 9:48pm On Sep 20, 2016

Touche!!!

Am an unrepentant #AnyOneButJona-na tan.

Oh btw, I have never voted for buhari before and did not in the last election simply because i know from his antecedent that he hasn't got the cerebral prowess to affect a positive change in the country.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by sarrki(m): 9:55pm On Sep 20, 2016
Prof u are right

It visible to the blind

Audible to the deaf

Only the Ugandans will deny it

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by Aufbauh(m): 9:58pm On Sep 20, 2016
Mix feeling news for ipobians cheesy
Prof castigating Ipobians' abducted hero GEJ,and at the same time supporting their incarcerated albino hero Kanu.... What a confusion. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by Episteme2(m): 10:19pm On Sep 20, 2016
Same way u would have opened your mouth to say that General Buhari would have taken us to the promise land had Buhari lost to GEJ. But now, u are so sure it would have been worse if GEJ had been reelected.

At this point, you should at least keep quiet if u cannot be courageous enough to apologize to Nigerians for the bitter role u and your hangers-on played in bringing this calamitous government.
Stop this conceited assertiveness.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by psucc(m): 10:24pm On Sep 20, 2016
Because baboons would have soaked in blood.
However, Nigeria survived only to be suffocated and choked.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by QuotaSystem: 10:28pm On Sep 20, 2016
Absolutely spot on.

If GEJ had won, Nigeria wouldn't have even stood a chance of surviving this economic recession because the unabated stealing of whatever is left would have continued amidst the typical atmosphere of impunity, and Jonacrook wouldn't have given a damn because he would then have nothing to lose as he wouldn't need to seek re-election any longer.

Thank goodness the corrupt IB lost.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by APCsupporter: 10:34pm On Sep 20, 2016
Before you insult this man, get your Nobel prize first. He is more intelligent than all ipoobians combined.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by Biafman: 10:35pm On Sep 20, 2016
mezynaija:
adding that Nigeria would not have survived four more years of former President Goodluck Jonathan’s rule.
These afonja sons sef. Even their grandpahs na same. What if Nigeria didn't survive and dissintegrates because of Jonathan winning ordinary election? Must Nigeria remain one? Can't the afonjas live alone in their afonja republic? Must they live with Biafrans in their useless one Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by Oblang(m): 10:38pm On Sep 20, 2016
Prof u wouldn't have said it better.. either Ugandans want to hear that or not, that's the bitter truth... I also agree with u on Ugandans leaving. they ain't jst matured enough for the kind of politics bin played in Nigeria. They should have biafra where all of them can become president at the same time...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by 90xtr90r: 10:41pm On Sep 20, 2016
Despicable Afonjas from Sudan keep disgracing themselves in the public with the shameless manner they blame the Igbo Nation for their delusion and impending doom in OduaArewanistan republic with their Fulani masters...

Confused set of hypocrites and parasites parading as One-Nigerianists!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by Nobody: 10:50pm On Sep 20, 2016
This man is hot and cold. Today he's here, tomorrow he's ther . Pick a struggle.

Kindly ignore the lunatic above ^^^^

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by jmichlins(m): 10:51pm On Sep 20, 2016
this is just what happened. Nigerians made a choice between the lion and deep blue sea. We were left with no credible choice

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by 90xtr90r: 10:52pm On Sep 20, 2016
Here comes the despicable, feminine fagg0t from Urhobo ranting above...
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by Hedonistically: 11:05pm On Sep 20, 2016
This is a remarkably stupid point of view by a remarkably dishonest man - no surprises considering where he is from and who he dines with.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by striker9(m): 11:06pm On Sep 20, 2016
90xtr90r:
Here comes the despicable, feminine fagg0t from Urhobo ranting above...
Guy shut your poo hole...ranting like a kid..I pity your wife.
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by GoggleB(m): 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2016
APC=PDP PDP=APC
difference is just the Change in the political name..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by plaetton: 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2016
Oh migosh!
Even Wole Soyinka, a well lettered man, is among those group of morons spouting this nonsense, this logical fallacy, this desperate clinging to straws by cognitively dissonant zombies.
Wonders shall never cease to happen in this country.

I guess that when real curtain falls, that's when we see who is really na-ked.
And na-ked is the perfect world to describe professor Wole Soyinka at this time.
A man who has staked his lifelong and hard-earned sterling reputation to cast his lot with a bunch of power hungry Feudal oligarchs.

Wole Soyinka has not been the same ever since Amaechi hosted him to an N85m lunch at the expense of the people of Rivers State.

What a shame.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by plaetton: 11:13pm On Sep 20, 2016
Hedonistically:
This is a remarkably stupid point of view by a remarkably dishonest man -

Remarkably dishonest man are the key words here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by 90xtr90r: 11:15pm On Sep 20, 2016
striker9:
Guy shut your poo hole...ranting like a kid..I pity your wife.

Frustrated IPOO miscreant, keep on wailing and gnashing your teeth like a demented epileptic patient till you quench...
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by plaetton: 11:22pm On Sep 20, 2016
QuotaSystem:
Absolutely spot on.

If GEJ had won, Nigeria wouldn't have even stood a chance of surviving this economic recession because the unabated stealing of whatever is left would have continued amidst the typical atmosphere of impunity, and Jonacrook wouldn't have given a damn because he would then have nothing to lose as he wouldn't need to seek re-election any longer.

Thank goodness the corrupt IB lost.

Wow!
Food for the zombies.

So it has gotten this bad for zombies , huh?

I mean, it takes an incredible level of cognitive dissonance, intellectual insecurity, subconscious self loathing, to conjure up this nonsense just to console oneself that the now evidently stuuuupidpid choice of 2015 could have been stupider if you had made the alternative choice.
If this is a placebo, then I suspect that those who are feeding themselves with this nonsense are perhaps permanently damaged, and should take real medications.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by striker9(m): 11:25pm On Sep 20, 2016
90xtr90r:

Frustrated IPOO miscreant, keep on wailing and gnashing your teeth like a demented epileptic patient till you quench...
Lol your epileptic show of Shame is quite obvious for all to see,I'm sure you will soon jump on another thread to prove your childishness.... grow up kiddo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by 90xtr90r: 11:28pm On Sep 20, 2016
striker9:
Lol your epileptic show of Shame is quite obvious for all to see,I'm sure you will soon jump on another thread to prove your childishness.... grow up kiddo

Dimw1tted bigot, I can see that you're indeed demented and brainless. Locate your playmates in the sand of nothingness...
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by striker9(m): 11:32pm On Sep 20, 2016
90xtr90r:

Dimw1tted bigot, I can see that you're indeed demented and brainless. Locate your playmates in the sand of nothingness...
looool ........kiddo
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by 90xtr90r: 11:33pm On Sep 20, 2016
striker9:
looool ........kiddo

Dimwitted...
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by anibi9674: 12:04am On Sep 21, 2016
at least he recommended the
last confab conducted by Jonathan, why has buhari not implemented it.
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by DozieInc(m): 12:19am On Sep 21, 2016
Re: Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka by daveP(m): 12:56am On Sep 21, 2016
I though wisdom came along with gray, abi na white hairs. This man is a disgrace to that set of peeps.

he is saying his hypocritical crap again.

see how he undermined the efforts of that Confab because of partisanship!.

Besides, he talks asif he and not Nigerians, is the one to decide who gets into power.

and the price was 85million naira?

Like the biblical Micaiah said to that prophet of baal, he would find an inner chamber to hide when the die is cast.

1 Like

(1) (2)

The Igue Festival Of Benin Kingdom, Nigeria / See Profile Of Winners Of The Akwa Ibom Lg Chairmanship Election / FFK Reacts To Obasanjo’s Statement That Nigeria Will Collapse If Buhari Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.