Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,638 members, 7,827,358 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux (1246 Views)

How To Start Developing Java Programs And Apps In Fedora / "SQL For Beginners”--- SUCH AS Mysql, Postgresql, Oracle 11g / Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by hassan4: 10:41am On Sep 22, 2016
PostgreSQL is one of the most popular object-relational database management system (shortened to ORDBMS) and is 100% open-source. It is not purely about relations anymore: PostgreSQL is more and more about NoSQL as well. The following article is a short tutorial to set up PostgreSQL 9.5 on Fedora 24, so it can be used for a development environment. For a production deployment, it is recommended to use a different set-up and harden the service.

The set of PostgreSQL database packages in Fedora’s stable repositories are almost identical to the upstream set of RPMs. There are client tools in the postgresql package. The client library in the postgresql-libs package is often required by various connectors. The most important part of the database, the daemon, is available in the postgresql-server package. Some more server-side extensions, tools, or supporting packages may be listed by running the following command in a terminal.

Full Article on..

http://gtbensmagazine.com

1 Like

Re: Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by VenantCode(m): 9:26pm On Sep 22, 2016
What are the benefits of Postgresql over mysql database?
Re: Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by hassan4: 9:52am On Sep 23, 2016
postgre is not as fast but its as robust and easy to use. It is also open source so it gets updates and patches quicker from individuals and communities all over the world. Postgre runs on Linux, Windows and more plus its not controlled by Oracle unlike MySQL. It will be around for a long time but MySQL can be abandoned or restrict certain support or even updates now that its owned by Oracle.
Re: Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by DonSegmond(m): 11:40am On Sep 23, 2016
Postgres is fully feature, more so than MySQL. It has richer data types. MySQL doesn't intend to be so. MySQL is good enough for basic websites. If you wish to build your business bet on Postgres. MySQL has reliability issues and loosing your data is a possibility that sadly plenty of people have experienced. MySQL is great for a read heavy site like a news, blog or web forum. Postgres is a solid database. It supports true ACID. Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability. So is good for sites like Banks, Auction, where every action truly does what you expect. MySQL will truncate your data if you give it what it doesn't expect, meaning, it silently fails. Postgres will return an error, letting you know you are violating your data. The rumor that Postgres is not fast is a wash, I have a Postgres database with few billion records that get's pounded on every damn second for that last 5 years and it's holding up fine.

3 Likes

Re: Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by hassan4: 12:12pm On Sep 23, 2016
Thanks DonSegmond. kindly sign up on http://gtbensmag.com lets exchange topics on each others blog. Your contribution is needed and highly appreciated.
Re: Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by foldl: 8:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
DonSegmond:
Postgres is fully feature, more so than MySQL. It has richer data types. MySQL doesn't intend to be so. MySQL is good enough for basic websites. If you wish to build your business bet on Postgres. MySQL has reliability issues and loosing your data is a possibility that sadly plenty of people have experienced. MySQL is great for a read heavy site like a news, blog or web forum. Postgres is a solid database. It supports true ACID. Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability. So is good for sites like Banks, Auction, where every action truly does what you expect. MySQL will truncate your data if you give it what it doesn't expect, meaning, it silently fails. Postgres will return an error, letting you know you are violating your data. The rumor that Postgres is not fast is a wash, I have a Postgres database with few billion records that get's pounded on every damn second for that last 5 years and it's holding up fine.

+1 for Postgres. I recently discovered you can't even create an index on a mysql VARCHAR/CHAR column if the length of the column is longer than 200 characters. Full text search in mysql is also not nearly as advanced as in Postgres. Your applications can also natively query data stored in other databases (eg oracle, mysql, mssql etc) through Postgres as if the data was stored in Postgres using Postgres' foreign data wrapper feature.

Mysql/mariadb is no way near Postgres in features and performance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 27, 2016
hassan4:
Thanks DonSegmond. kindly sign up on http://gtbensmag.com lets exchange topics on each others blog. Your contribution is needed and highly appreciated.

I also don't mind exchanging topics, since I get less busy during the weekends nowadays.

2 Likes

Re: Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by VenantCode(m): 10:46am On Sep 27, 2016
You guys seem like postgre Envangelist. I will give it a try
Re: Running Postgresql On Fedora 24 Linux by hassan4: 11:45am On Sep 28, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

I also don't mind exchanging topics, since I get less busy during the weekends nowadays.

Deal then.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Developer With Blockchain Experience Needed / 2checkout Payment Engine Stops Nigeria Support / I Need Someone Who Can Clone This Site Exactly, Come Wit Ur Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.