Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? (3492 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Funny? / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by naijacutee(f): 10:40pm On Oct 12, 2009
This is the question someone asked me today, and after trying to think of a clever response/excuse, I found out that I had none. It got me thinking, and I started to think of all the guys I know who talk about "swag" from morning till night, friends I know who will not wear anything and be tagged twice in it on Facebook, family members who I compliment saying "Your top looks good on you", and the response is "Very expensive. N4,000 at The Palms". People who will buy anything - Blackberry, Holiday to Dubai, TM Lewin shirt, Lace weave, MAC make-up - solely to fit in with everyone else, and not because they really need these things; people who will talk disrespectfully to a person the minute they perceive that this person cannot afford certain things, girls who will lose their virginity to someone who only has to pretend to be wealthy and bribe them with recharge cards, people who will do anything to get rich - even to the point of lying and twisting Biblical references to back their lies.

Is this an unrecognised culture amongst us? Why are money and material wealth so important to us? Almost to the point where we are ready to worship money even in church! Can we be content with a life which involves living in a decent, comfortable and clean house in a quiet village somewhere, with good food, clean water and a steady stream of income - or would that be classified as "suffering"?
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by 2Legit2Qui: 10:41pm On Oct 12, 2009
because naija people have money to afford such material things.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by posakosa(m): 12:48am On Oct 13, 2009
Many Nigerians have absorbed the extreme consumerism/materialistic culture to the point that it leads them to yahoo-yahooo. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

I think that it has a lot to do with unnecessary ego.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by herniec(f): 1:05pm On Oct 13, 2009
It is because we have a wrong value system. Acquisition of material things seems to be the only way we can show people that we are doing fine in our pursuits. Is it not the same thing that has corrupted even our religious leaders? We generally define our worth by things - money, cars, clothings, houses, etc.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by iice(f): 6:45pm On Oct 15, 2009
herniec:

It is because we have a wrong value system. Acquisition of material things seems to be the only way we can show people that we are doing fine in our pursuits. Is it not the same thing that has corrupted even our religious leaders? We generally define our worth by things - money, cars, clothings, houses, etc.

posakosa:

I think that it has a lot to do with unnecessary ego.

True.

LOL i remember once we were at a food joint (bro and i) and we were chilling with some people.  Waiter accidently poured fanta on one of them.  His response was 'See this idiot, how you go pour drink for my $400 shoes!?!' grin grin My bro and i burst out laughing.  .  .silly people cheesy
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by redsky1: 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2009
naijacutee:

This is the question someone asked me today, and after trying to think of a clever response/excuse, I found out that I had none. It got me thinking, and I started to think of all the guys I know who talk about "swag" from morning till night, friends I know who will not wear anything and be tagged twice in it on Facebook, family members who I compliment saying "Your top looks good on you", and the response is "Very expensive. N4,000 at The Palms". People who will buy anything - Blackberry, Holiday to Dubai, TM Lewin shirt, Lace weave, MAC make-up - solely to fit in with everyone else, and not because they really need these things; people who will talk disrespectfully to a person the minute they perceive that this person cannot afford certain things, girls who will lose their virginity to someone who only has to pretend to be wealthy and bribe them with recharge cards, people who will do anything to get rich - even to the point of lying and twisting Biblical references to back their lies.

Is this an unrecognised culture amongst us? Why are money and material wealth so important to us? Almost to the point where we are ready to worship money even in church! Can we be content with a life which involves living in a decent, comfortable and clean house in a quiet village somewhere, with good food, clean water and a steady stream of income - or would that be classified as "suffering"?

personally for me i use mac make up cos its the best for my skin, i like blackberry cos i'm a professional and it helps me organise my life. lace weave - um not for me - i have good hair (don jealous me o!!)

lol na really what i think it is is a lack of confidence - if a person thinks that the only way people will give them and "respect" cos of the brands dripping from their body maybe they are lacking in the personality bank.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by Outstrip(f): 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2009
A lot of it comes from people not having these things before and when the opportunity comes for them to have something they over do it.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by mamagee6(f): 2:01am On Oct 16, 2009
Aren't americans more materialistic, why does everyone have to bash nigerians?
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by Radiant(f): 2:43am On Oct 16, 2009
It's all about looking good and feeling good. If you can afford it why not? However, I don't agree with their bragging. I'm like. . who da hell?
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by herniec(f): 8:59am On Oct 16, 2009
Let's look at it well. Has our cravings for material things not blinded most of us? Are religious bodies not infested with the same virus? A man cannot afford to sponsor his children's education. Yet he has money to throw around at parties, buy expensive lace material, declare surplus for friends at joints, maintain a second wife he does not need, . . . ? In a bid to show off, we gadly eat up our tomorrow today. This same disease is what is plaguing our political, ecnomic, social, and religious life. It is extremely hard in Nigeria to be rich and yet maintain a simple lifestyle. Where on earth do the most foolish rich people live? Is it not in Nigeria? Foolish rich people who could afford the best and lastest cars, yet they run short of common sense to make the roads are good enough for their cars. Are they not the myopic ones who build houses without giving thought to where the water comes from? Borehole? Nonsense! We are backward because our views are wrong. Our minds are our biggest problem. We need renewed minds, else we will keep suffering amidst plenty and perhap die in it. Not the kind of political rebranding we see around us.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by throttler(f): 10:26am On Oct 16, 2009
ERHM, because we are rich in aso oke, niegrain wax, UNTL, so many of them grin

seriously, aside the bragging, if any body can really afford them good stuff, then let him or her get them.

if you drive hummer2, and hummer3 comes out, you may like it better, if there is a hummer4 you are gonna like it better too, and soon someones gonna run mad from it all grin, cos they wont stop upgrading, and making you feel you are lagging if you dont upgrade. that is the rat-race sad
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by naijacutee(f): 7:57pm On Oct 17, 2009
herniec:

Let's look at it well. Has our cravings for material things not blinded most of us? Are religious bodies not infested with the same virus? A man cannot afford to sponsor his children's education. Yet he has money to throw around at parties, buy expensive lace material, declare surplus for friends at joints, maintain a second wife he does not need, . . . ? In a bid to show off, we gadly eat up our tomorrow today. This same disease is what is plaguing our political, ecnomic, social, and religious life. It is extremely hard in Nigeria to be rich and yet maintain a simple lifestyle. Where on earth do the most foolish rich people live? Is it not in Nigeria? Foolish rich people who could afford the best and lastest cars, yet they run short of common sense to make the roads are good enough for their cars. Are they not the myopic ones who build houses without giving thought to where the water comes from? Borehole? Nonsense! We are backward because our views are wrong. Our minds are our biggest problem. We need renewed minds, else we will keep suffering amidst plenty and perhap die in it. Not the kind of political rebranding we see around us.

All I can say to this is amen. You hit the nail right in the centre of the ogo!

Americans might be materialistic but I can't speculate on them because their materialism does not directly affect me. I will speculate on that of my brothers and sisters, misplacing priorities at the expense of our future and our childrens futures, enriching the pockets of these materialistic Americans even more, as they are the ones who produce all the things we crave.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by honeric01(m): 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2009
yes, we are. how can that change
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by muffins(f): 9:46pm On Oct 17, 2009
Everybody is materialistic, why must nigerians be mentioned? angry angry
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by naijacutee(f): 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2009
muffins:

Everybody is materialistic, why must nigerians be mentioned? angry angry

"Everybody is materialistic" does not make materialism right. . . Just the same way as saying "everyone here has committed a crime" does not make a prisoners crimes acceptable. The way forward is recognising our shortcomings and like honeric has said, ask "How do we change"? Crowd mentality = Backwardness.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by MrCrackles(m): 4:25pm On Oct 18, 2009
2Legit2Qui:

because naija people have money to afford such material things.
This is a very daft response!
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by honeric01(m): 7:26pm On Oct 18, 2009
because we value material things than personalty. angry angry angry
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by coolier(f): 8:02pm On Oct 21, 2009
Because majority of Nigerians don't work for their money, they steal it one way or the other. And because they are vain and conceited.
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by honeric01(m): 9:33am On Oct 22, 2009
coolier:

Because majority of Nigerians don't work for their money, they steal it one way or the other. And because they are vain and conceited.

are you among the majority?
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by naijacutee(f): 11:15am On Oct 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

This is a very daft response!
Inearly said that, but had to hold myself. You never dissappoint, Crackles!
Re: Why Are we Nigerians So Materialistic? by MrCrackles(m): 8:17pm On Oct 25, 2009
herniec:

GBAM!

(1) (Reply)

Wukari Federation / Tribal Markings / Cold Press Carrot Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.