Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

The Smartphone, The Enemy To Be Defeated? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Smartphone, The Enemy To Be Defeated? (534 Views)

Specifications Of The Smartphone That Was Made Just For Hackers / Why I Would Never Advise Even My Enemy To Buy A GIONEE Phone. / You Have Actually Been Charging Your Smartphone The Wrong Way (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Smartphone, The Enemy To Be Defeated? by Naija247Gists: 2:23am On Sep 23, 2016
ABSTRACT:
There is a general tendency to demonize the smartphone. However, only the user can make a beneficial or harmful tool. It is necessary to empower and give importance to our choices. Misused, the smartphone becomes a source of stress. Used well, it makes our lives easier

A poll in 2015, 75% of Nigeria consult their Smartphone 15 minutes after alarm clock and 78% use 15 minutes before bed.
These results were shared through thousands of articles, videos and podcasts. Most repeat the same conclusion: we've become addicted to our smartphones.
Comparing this behavior addiction, such as alcoholism. It is presented as an evil in our society, a danger to our future generations a stupor tool. The only remedy seems to be to repeat the sacred phrase: "it was better before."

Eh yes ! when we were young we, good generation, we imagine to be pilots, firemen or cowboys. Now, sad fact, youth has to set a screen and tap on it to embody a.
Eh yes ! before the appearance of devilish Smartphone, people communicated and laughed good heart in transit. We are now surrounded by zombies staring millions of small colored squares.
Eh yes ! the work was formerly relaxing. We moved to a human pace. Today, we must respond to our emails even during the "break poo."
As we hear the criticism against this little box connected, the more I believe it's one of the worst scourges of our time. Scientists should not seek to eradicate cancer, they should find a molecule that could cure us of the connection. Then we could live happily with patches nicotino-phone glued to our arms.
The smartphone, is it the enemy to be defeated? Man, was he happier before its invention?

the problem: put the blame on an external object. We are in a society where the culture of disempowerment is strong:
You fail at school? The teacher is incompetent.
You are fat ? The canteen only sells junk food.
You're an alcoholic? You have bad genes.
You are poor? The company is a broken elevator.
You're stressed ? The world is going to 1000km / h
Certainly, each of these responses is valid, as to the cause of his troubles and his frustrations on his smartphone. But the question is whether one, they are the only two plausible answers and, if these answers are helpful. By "useful" I mean that the answer is a way to solve the problem.
Yes, the smartphone makes us accessible 24/7. But is it inevitable and purpose? Can we really do anything to change this?

In his book "The power of self-discipline", Brian Tracy gives a sentence that magical judge (yes, it's an American): "I am responsible." It no longer takes into account the external elements which we are helpless, we focus on the empowerment that we have on this situation.
This principle is well known in the Stoics. Seneca loves resume metaphor dog tied to a cart advance. It may refuse to follow the rhythm of the vehicle. The problem is that it will be dragged to the ground for several hours. True, the fact that it is attached is an injustice and it has the right to be indignant. His condition is not due to his fault, but that of his masters. However, if he refuses to keep up, his situation will be even more painful. Conversely, if he decides to go at the right speed, it does not even feel the pull rope around his neck.

In considering themselves responsible, we agree to keep pace as some exterior and unavoidable events we needed. We can not necessarily affect the event itself, but we can control our reaction: follow the cart or leave lying around.
This reality becomes more relevant with the smartphone. If its use stresses us, it is we who are responsible. No one forces us to answer a Facebook status within minutes, to answer our emails in the toilet and even less to play Pokemon Go in transport. It is our choices, and our choices are bad. The tool is neutral, it is the user who is perverse.
Instead of perceiving the smartphone as an enemy whose removal would be a victory, try to make an ally.

A minimalist tool
James Altucher and Andrew Hyde have one thing in common: they live only 15 objects. Living with 15 items while having a lucrative task was impossible just a few decades ago. Why ? Because the smartphone did not exist.
I am stating the obvious, but the smartphone is a wonderful condensation of several hundreds or even thousands of physical objects. It is not for nothing that speaks of dematerialization.
If someone introduced to me and looked at my bookshelf, he would conclude that I do not like reading. In reality, the 50 books I read a year are on my Kindle in digital format.
The technology can be as much the chain that imprisons us that the key to free ourselves. A smartphone can so complicate our lives that allow us to simplify.
Smartphone, Kindle and laptops are what I call "super-objects." And as Uncle Ben would say "great power involves great responsibility". An object can be something pleasant or unpleasant. With a super-object, you can transform her life into a heaven or a hell.

Up to us to choose.

source: http://wowgists..com.ng/2016/09/is-smartphone-enemy-to-be-defeated.html

Re: The Smartphone, The Enemy To Be Defeated? by TempUser: 3:00am On Sep 23, 2016
undecided
OK nah, what about we people using our smartphones before alarm? How many are we?
Re: The Smartphone, The Enemy To Be Defeated? by Naija247Gists: 2:42pm On Sep 23, 2016
TempUser:
undecided
OK nah, what about we people using our smartphones before alarm? How many are we?

undecided
TempUser:
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Disappointing Sales May Spur Blackberry's Exit From Smartphone Hardware Market / Samsung Note 7 Added To GTA V / Whatsapp New Update Contains Snapchat-like Feautures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.