Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man (6946 Views)

PR In Religion / Religion Is Very Important And I'm Not Atheist - Mark Zuckerberg, Fbk Founder / FROM FAITH TO Facts:collection Of My Thoughts, Experience & Sojourn In Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 2:32am On Sep 24, 2016
Shared with permission:

When you think about it, God himself represents the ultimate dream of mankind; He's immortal, he knows everything there is to know, he is all powerful, and completely independent of reality itself. Are these not all the things we wish for?

Average human lifespan is around 75 years. During this time we have our own struggles, hardships, and problems. If we could live forever, all our problems would become insignificant due to having an eternity to solve them. Or better yet, if we could have allmighty power, we could solve any problem instantly. But even without these things, if we only knew the solutions of any problem that falls on us, that would be all we need, right?

What is the one thing promised to us in most holy books? Paradise. Eden. Džennet. A place of our choosing where we are eternally young, and where we have all we need. Forever. All we could hope for and all that we ever wanted, in that one place. Why is this repeated, over and over again in so many religions? Because these thing are solutions to our problems. Escapes from problems. Wishful thinking. God himself manifests Himself as the apex, the absolute peak of our desires, a being so wise and powerful none come close. Why? Because we want to be like that.

It is exactly in these wishes that our nature comes to sight. We want power to compensate for our weaknesses, we want knowledge to compensate for insecurities, for regret of missed chances, to stop the feeling of helplessness, and to become what we always wanted to be. A person loved by all, successful in every way, without equal and at the top all. These primitive desires are the reason we can believe that all these things are possible, when they are absolutely not. Regardless of our call in life we can't be loved by all and there will always be people who are more successful in some fields.

Though God appears as a dominant father figure, it is exactly because he is the manifestation of desires of man that he can't be real. Reality and logic itself reject the existence of God. Immortal, all powerful, all-knowing being cannot exist without contradicting itself on every step of it's way. As there were thousands of tribes, nations, countries and empires, there existed with them thousands of deities, Gods, saviors and holy protectors. Taking countless forms and shapes, but all with one goal, to be a model of perfection. To be something to strive for. Without man, there is no God, but without God, there exists a man. A true man, free of religious dogmas and social stigmas, open minded and striving for a true desire of man - humanity. Because being a good person has nothing to do with religion, only with yourself. Accepting yourself for who you are, and striving to better yourself, all while respecting others and helping when you can is Eden. That is the true Paradise we can create, without God, with our own two hands. The final and truest wish of reason and humanity, celebrating it's victory over the primitive and basic desires we have. That is the battle of good vs evil, God vs Satan, it's all us, in ourselves and our struggle to be...a human.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by oglalasioux(m): 2:48am On Sep 24, 2016
A real genius is spotted!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 24, 2016
thousands of applause to u

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 24, 2016
Rightly said, man created God and not the other way around. The human mind doesn't want to grasp its own mortality so it creates a fictional realm that it might reside in after death. We don't fear God we fear death. This is why every culture has it's idea of a God as well as an afterlife.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by felixomor: 2:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lennycool:
Rightly said, man created God and not the other way around. The human mind doesn't want to grasp its own mortality so it creates a fictional realm that it might reside in after death. We don't fear God we fear death. This is why every culture has it's idea of a God as well as an afterlife.

Please whats the name of the man who created God ? and moreso

If man created God, who then created Man?

1 Like

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by plaetton: 2:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lennycool:

I once opened a thread asking why animals do not worship God.
I was actually attacked and mock for asking such kindergarten question.

I remained patient to see if someone could get the full import of my question, to think deeper and understand where I was pointing at.

Like this OP has written, without man , there are no gods.
Man is the creator of god.
Animals do not have an after death phobia.
Animals do not need insurance policies Redeemable after death.
Animals don't have a desire to live forever.

3 Likes

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 24, 2016
felixomor:

Keep living your simplistic life and refuse to accept the truth. No time into waste
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by felixomor: 4:08pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lennycool:

Keep living your simplistic life and refuse to accept the truth. No time into waste

Na simple questions dey make u vex? cool
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 24, 2016
plaetton:

I remained patient to see if someone could get the full import of my question, to think deeper and understand where I was pointing at.

Well said. The criteria for being a devote theist is to abandone your ability to reason fully.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by felixomor: 4:10pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lennycool:

Well said. The criteria for being a devote theist is to abandone your ability to reason fully.

Says the person who couldn't answer my own reasonable questions.

grin cool

1 Like

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by DoctorAlien(m): 4:11pm On Sep 24, 2016
"Atheists spend 90% of their time discussing religion and GOD. One must then ask: are they really atheists or are they theologians?" -DoctorAlien

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by hopefulLandlord: 4:13pm On Sep 24, 2016
DoctorAlien:
"Atheists spend 90% of their time discussing religion and GOD. One must then ask: are they really atheists or are they theologians?" -DoctorAlien

I'm curious how you arrived at 90%

even the total time spent online by the average Nairaland atheist is less than 90% of their day

lying for Jesus as usual

1 Like

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by DoctorAlien(m): 4:14pm On Sep 24, 2016
felixomor:

Bro, this question can destabilize someone for 16 hours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 24, 2016
felixomor:

Na simple questions dey make u vex? cool
Lol. grin you're funny. Since you insist, there is not just one God. Every major cultural group has had their own idea of a God. So man created his God.
While no one created man as he is now. Man simply evolved over million of years from much simpler lifeforms. A better question would be what provided the building block for life. And to that I would say I don't know. But I can certainly tell you it was not a human God as they only exist in our imagination. Hope that answered your question.

4 Likes

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by DoctorAlien(m): 4:24pm On Sep 24, 2016
ME: Bro, I spent a lot of time today arguing with someone about batman. I tried to show Him how senseless the idea of batman is. I also showed him how evil batman is and how many people he has killed.

MY ATHEIST FRIEND: Are you crazy? How could you have been discussing batman all day? He doesn't exist. Batman is fiction. You can't spend all day discussing fiction

ME: What about GOD? He is fiction right? Why do you spend most of your time on the fiction called GOD?

MY ATHEIST FRIEND: Erm, erm... you know...

grin

2 Likes

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by hopefulLandlord: 4:32pm On Sep 24, 2016
DoctorAlien:
ME: Bro, I spent a lot of time today arguing with someone about batman. I tried to show Him how senseless the idea of batman is. I also showed him how evil batman is and how many people he has killed.

MY ATHEIST FRIEND: Are you crazy? How could you have been discussing batman all day? He doesn't exist. Batman is fiction. You can't spend all day discussing fiction

ME: What about GOD? He is fiction right? Why do you spend most of your time on the fiction called GOD?

[b]YOUR ATHEIST FRIEND: Imagine a world in which everywhere you turned, a belief in a literal Santa Claus was staring back at you. national Pledge “So help me santa” Imagine if when you went to a courtroom to testify, you had to put your hand on a copy of the book, “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,” and say “So help me Santa” at the end of your oath. Imagine that town meetings all across the country started with the singing of the song “Here Comes Santa Claus” or “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.”
Imagine that everyone you know insists that you go to services at least once a week during which you write letters to Santa, and if you don’t, they tell you there’s something wrong with you. Imagine if the first thing that anyone asks you in a social setting is not about what you do for a living or some other question, but, “What have you written to Santa about lately?”

Imagine if you couldn’t go to a gym, or a coffee shop, without Christmas music being played in the background year ’round. Imagine if you couldn’t get your hair done, or go shopping, or go to a doctor’s office without having Christmas music playing, whether it’s Christmas time or not. Imagine if you tried to complain about it, or suggest that maybe some other music should be played, and people told you that you’re a terrible person with no morals for saying such a thing.

Imagine if friends and family shunned you because you had the audacity to say that Santa Claus isn’t real, that he doesn’t bring presents to children around the world at Christmas, and that to believe so is silly with no evidence to support that belief. Imagine parents of students at the school in which you are a faculty member saying that the fact you don’t believe in Santa frightens them, and that they don’t want their kids in your class.

Imagine everyone around you telling you that if you don’t believe in Santa Claus, you will spend all of eternity being punished by being submerged under the ice at the north pole, and poked by Santa’s elves with sticks.

Imagine everyone telling you to just shut up about the fact that you don’t believe in Santa, and to just go along with all of the nonsense, because to everyone else, Santa Claus is absolutely, positively real, and you can’t tell them anything different, and since the majority of society believes in Santa, you must follow what they do.

If you think this all sounds ridiculous or farfetched, this is exactly what it’s like living in Nigeria for people who aren’t theists. This is why we keep engaging in discussions about God. It’s because this idea—which other people seem to think isn’t any of our business—is all up in our business every day of our lives. That makes it our business.
[/b]

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by DoctorAlien(m): 4:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
If I were an atheist, I wouldn't even be discussing GOD. That's a waste of time. grin Whatever religionists do would not be my business, just as I can never be bothered with what happens to Naruto or its followers.

1 Like

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Ranchhoddas: 4:53pm On Sep 24, 2016
DoctorAlien:

MY ATHEIST FRIEND: Erm, erm... you know...

grin
This thing wey you talk e make sense to you?

5 Likes

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by ValentineMary(m): 4:57pm On Sep 24, 2016
DoctorAlien:
If I were an atheist, I wouldn't even be discussing GOD. That's a waste of time. grin Whatever religionists do would not be my business, just as I can never be bothered with what happens to Naruto or its followers.
Did I not tell u sometime ago that u were inconsiderate people are killed for not believing in an imaginary God, people are discriminated for not believing in an imaginary God and I should just stand and watch. I decide to use my knowledge to bring people out of this slavery of the mind. That's why Seun opened a thread saying "Every Nigerian atheist should be outspoken". I have seen people die because they had faith. But u suggest I should stand and watch.

Have u seen anybody killing, discriminating, disowning thier kids, etc because of Naruto or Batman now u know why we talk about God.

If people stand killing others because of Harry Potter, I would also speak against it because I have a human conscience which many religious folks lack.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nice one hopeful landlord, that's exactly how atheist feel in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 24, 2016
ValentineMary:

Did I not tell u sometime ago that u were inconsiderate people are killed for not believing in an imaginary God, people are discriminated for not believing in an imaginary God and I should just stand and watch. I decide to use my knowledge to bring people out of this slavery of the mind. That's why Seun opened a thread saying "Every Nigerian atheist should be outspoken". I have seen people die because they had faith. But u suggest I should stand and watch.

Have u seen anybody killing, discriminating, disowning thier kids, etc because of Naruto or Batman now u know why we talk about God.

If people stand killing others because of Harry Potter, I would also speak against it because I have a human conscience which many religious folks lack.
Tell am oh. The man na sucking blood.
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by felixomor: 5:01pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lennycool:

Lol. grin you're funny. Since you insist, there is not just one God. Every major cultural group has had their own idea of a God. So man created his God.
While no one created man as he is now. Man simply evolved over million of years from much simpler lifeforms. A better would be what provided the building block for life. And to that I would say I don't know. But I can certainly tell you it was not a human God as they only exist in our imagination. Hope that answered your question.

Big fallacy, big contradiction
"I dont know, but its certainly not......."

U cant be certain about a topic that u dont know.

So i think i need a better answer.
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by DoctorAlien(m): 5:02pm On Sep 24, 2016
ValentineMary:

Please give instances of the above bolded.

I wish to make it known, however, that I don't support discriminating against atheists in any way. IN ANY WAY!
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by felixomor: 5:03pm On Sep 24, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Bro, this question can destabilize someone for 16 hours

Lol
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
felixomor:

I simply accepted the limit of my human Knowledge. Unlike you who grips a God whose existence he cannot defend.
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by DoctorAlien(m): 5:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
plaetton:

Do you mean anyone who doesn't have a desire to live forever is an animal?

1 Like

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by felixomor: 5:23pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lennycool:

I simply accepted the limit of my human Knowledge. Unlike you who grips a God whose existence he cannot defend.

No, u didnt accept anything.
U lied.

U said u are certain about something and the same u also exposed urself that u dont know.

Thats what happened. sad
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 24, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I wish to make it known, however, that I don't support discriminating against atheists in any way. IN ANY WAY!
During the dark ages in Europe, people who didn't believe in God where accused of heresy and killed. In the modern world today and in mostly Islamic countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan. Unbelief in their God can be very fatal.
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 24, 2016
felixomor:

Let me tell you why its not a humanoid god. Because the descriptions you have provided painfully contradict themselves at every turn and make absolutely no sense. With the so called demands of this humanoid god such as telepathic messages, rolling on the floor singing and crying, etc the 'actions' (or inaction grin ) of this 'god' just doesn't tally. Ascribing human characteristics to your god was even the biggest mistake as all human characteristics indicate imperfection. Jealousy stems from a desire to be like, or have what someone else has. Perfection would not go around saying 'I am a jealous god'. Why? Because perfectiom is complete. Perfection cannot be 'sorry' that it made man. Why? Because perfetcion has no regrets. And so on.

1 Like

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
felixomor:

No, u didnt accept anything.
U lied.

U said u are certain about something and the same u also exposed urself that u dont know.

Thats what happened. sad
I'm sure no human God exist since there are no viable proof of there existence and I don't know what created the universe. They are not contradictory.

2 Likes

Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Please give instances? Let's start with the most recent one, that pastors wife that was killed in the north for believing in the wrong god. Christianity has also done enough of these intolerant killings (go to hillbilly America) but not as much as Islam. All these are painful to watch, as a human, knowing that the god they're killing for simply doesn't exist.
Re: The Idea 'god' In Religion Is Just Basically The Ultimate Desire Of Man by DoctorAlien(m): 5:26pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lennycool:

During the dark ages in Europe, people who didn't believe in God where accused of heresy and killed. In the modern world today and in mostly Islamic countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan. Unbelief in their God can be very fatal.

Brother, give instances of people who are being killed by Christians today for being atheists.

Don't give me the Dark Age story. I know about it more than you do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) / The Doctrines Of The Jehovah Witnesses Vs The Holy Bible Of God / Religion Section Hall Of Fame 2013 Edition ( sticky)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.