Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,228 members, 7,822,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m (6398 Views)

Fashola Pays Glowing Tribute To 10 Slain Corps, Other Members. (pics) / FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members / Tears As Corpses Of Slain ‘corpers’ Leave Bauchi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by MadMax1(f): 1:55am On Oct 19, 2009
They should scrap the useless scheme. It's lost focus and its original purpose isn't being served. What reasons have YOU for wanting it to remain? Offering the family money isn't it. Offering them such a silly amount is even worse somehow. By someone paying, I meant Justice being done one way or the other, CONSEQUENCES, so they don't just make noise for a while and then sweep it under the carpet, until the next person is killed. That's the THIRD TIME a Corper will be murdered in that town for crying out loud. And nothing happened the first two times either.

And please. Cut out the 'putting a price on the girl's life' thing. In some countries with a well-oiled legal system families are compensated for losing loved ones all the time. It has nothing to do with putting a price on the loved one's life. That's why it's called 'compensation', not 'Life purchase' or 'Life Price'. Everyone knows there is no price for a life. When a plane crashed in Nigeria and the airline shelled out to the victims' family, were they 'putting a price' on all the lives lost?

Premature to say her killers knew they could kill with impunity,ehn? I was referring to the typical Northerner's attitude towards the rest of the country, borne out by how many times they have killed with impunity, hiding their hate behind their barbaric religion. I heard of a corper who was murdered in Kano by a few secondary school students. She caught a boy cheating during a test and 'seized' the piece of paper and tore it. He and his friends waylaid her and her small child and cut both their throats. They told people she had torn a page from the Holy Quran to shreds. That was the end of that. Teenagers did that! If that's not 'killing with impunity' I'd like to know what is.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by 3seriez(m): 2:20am On Oct 19, 2009
I just dont understand some of you people. It is sorry and regreteble that the lady was murdered in such circumstances. Any where you go, you are certain to find sick in the head fanatics who dont like outsiders/foreigners. Some of you are talking of reprisal attacks, Would that bring her back from the dead or would that just satisfy some peoples quest 4 vengence. Blood for Blood. The bible or Qur'an does not teach us that. Our churches n mosques also do not abhor that. People are just sick in the head and some idiots capitalise on this and influence them to do stupid things. & they now hide under the guise of religion, ethnicity etc. The country is messed up as it is. Lets pray for justice & God to shine his light on this country.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by Nobody: 5:21am On Oct 19, 2009
Rather than look for the girl's killers, this is what they prefer. . . angry
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by texazzpete(m): 7:53am On Oct 19, 2009
Mad_Max:

They should scrap the useless scheme. It's lost focus and its original purpose isn't being served. What reasons have YOU for wanting it to remain? Offering the family money isn't it. Offering them such a silly amount is even worse somehow. By someone paying, I meant Justice being done one way or the other, CONSEQUENCES, so they don't just make noise for a while and then sweep it under the carpet, until the next person is killed. That's the THIRD TIME a Corper will be murdered in that town for crying out loud. And nothing happened the first two times either.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that its original purpose is not being served in some cases? There are corpers who benefit immensely from the scheme - just as there are some who do not. Either way, the NYSC scheme indirectly serves as a means to provide education to the nation, seeing as how over 60% of the corps members are drafted as teachers in rural communities.
All i see is people crying over every little adversity. It could certainly have been a lot worse.

Take a look at this list i copied from Wikipedia showing countries with mandatory millitary service

Military service limited to 1 year or less

Austria (6 months)
Bolivia (12 months)
Brazil (9–12 months)
Denmark (4–12 months)
Ecuador (selective conscription)
El Salvador (selective conscription)
Estonia (8–11 months)
Finland (6–12 months)
Germany (9 months)
Greece (9 months)
Guatemala (12–24 months)
Mexico (selective conscription)
Moldavia (12 months)
Mongolia (12 months)
Norway
Paraguay (12 months for Army, 24 months for Navy)
Russia (12 months)
Serbia (6 months)
Switzerland
Taiwan (selective conscription)
Tunisia (12 months)
Ukraine (12 months)
Uzbekistan (12 months)

Military service limited to 18 months[/b]Azerbaijan
Cambodia
Colombia
Cote d'Ivoire
Eritrea
Georgia
Iran
Laos
Madagascar
Turkey (6–15 months)

[b]Military service longer than 18 months, no unarmed option

Armenia
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Equatorial Guinea
Egypt
Guinea
Israel (24 months for women, 36 months for men)
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Libya
Mozambique
North Korea
São Tomé and Príncipe
Singapore (disregarding Civil Defence forces which is part of the Interior Ministry)
Somalia
South Korea
Syria
Sudan
Tajikistan
Thailand
Turkmenistan
Vietnam

We're here complaining about NYSC when kids from many other nations go through even more adverse circumstances in the name of National Service.

Mad_Max:

And please. Cut out the 'putting a price on the girl's life' thing. In some countries with a well-oiled legal system families are compensated for losing loved ones all the time. It has nothing to do with putting a price on the loved one's life. That's why it's called 'compensation', not 'Life purchase' or 'Life Price'. Everyone knows there is no price for a life.

The federal government has offered the statutory gratuity of N500000 to the family of the dead corps member. That's what they are mandated by law to offer. The Borno State Government offered N2 million naira as compensation, which they are in no way mandated to offer.
Your reference to 'well oiled legal system' is frankly illogical. There is no legal responsibility on the part of the Borno State Government for the girl's death.
Keep your bias away from your thought processes. Would you insist that the Lagos state government bear responsibility for any and every death in Lagos?

Mad_Max:

When a plane crashed in Nigeria and the airline shelled out to the victims' family, were they 'putting a price' on all the lives lost?

If you need me to explain the difference between these two scenarios - and the absurdity of using this as an analogy - i'm afraid there's little i can do for you.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by sjeezy8: 8:09am On Oct 19, 2009
2 million is BS

They should give the family more and limit corps members to serve in regions of their origin or choice.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by bibiking1(m): 8:27am On Oct 19, 2009
@Texazzpete
You still are not convincing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are other countries that DO NOT undertake this compulsory scheme!
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by texazzpete(m): 10:12am On Oct 19, 2009
bibiking1:

@Texazzpete
You still are not convincing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are other countries that DO NOT undertake this compulsory scheme!

Exactly. There could be better, and there could be worse.
In all the countries that do not undertake compulsory millitary service, what other national service scheme is in place? Typically it's none.

National service is typically intended to boost patriotism and increase integration among many other purposes. Such a scheme was needed in Nigeria after the civil war. Hence the NYSC scheme. And as a form of national service, it's obviously more benign than millitary service.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by GeorgeD1(m): 10:13am On Oct 19, 2009
and what has the scheme achieved so far for us other than the killing of innocent people?
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by kosovo(m): 10:35am On Oct 19, 2009
pathetic to say the least!
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by MadMax1(f): 11:51am On Oct 19, 2009
texazzpete:

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that its original purpose is not being served in some cases? There are corpers who benefit immensely from the scheme - just as there are some who do not. Either way, the NYSC scheme indirectly serves as a means to provide education to the nation, seeing as how over 60% of the corps members are drafted as teachers in rural communities.
All i see is people crying over every little adversity. It could certainly have been a lot worse.

We're here complaining about NYSC when kids from many other nations go through even more adverse circumstances in the name of National Service.
The federal government has offered the statutory gratuity of N500000 to the family of the dead corps member. That's what they are mandated by law to offer. The Borno State Government offered N2 million naira as compensation, which they are in no way mandated to offer. Your reference to 'well oiled legal system' is frankly illogical. There is no legal responsibility on the part of the Borno State Government for the girl's death.Keep your bias away from your thought processes. Would you insist that the Lagos state government bear responsibility for any and every death in Lagos?If you need me to explain the difference between these two scenarios - and the absurdity of using this as an analogy - i'm afraid there's little i can do for you
You found compulsory military service in some countries on wikipedia, and so NYSC is justifed? Did the Federal Government consult Wikipedia for just such a list before instituting the programme in the first place, did they inform you they factored your wikipedia list into thinking up NYSC? A huge percentage of the countries on your list aren't even African countries, but are historically some of the bloodiest, war-torn countries on the planet. Their issues and priorities certainly differ from Nigeria's. Their instituting compulsory military service somehow obligates Nigeria to copy them in some way? And what about more peaceful countries, similar to Nigeria, where no form of compulsory service is required of fresh graduates? What of those countries?

I mentioned that 2M is a paltry amount to offer the family. And it is. You come up with some maximum amount the govt can give. Does that make the sums involved any less paltry?

You were the one saying by my description of 2M as small, I was putting a price on the girl's life. Compensating a family for loss has nothing to do with the price of life. And my analogy is relevant, since it is the appropriateness of monetary compensation for loved ones lost that is under discussion, not whether the circumstances are similar. I see a reference to the well-oiled legal systems in America and Europe where compensation for human loss is ingrained into the system, is 'illogical' to you. Man.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by GeorgeD1(m): 12:05pm On Oct 19, 2009
a 'compulsory' loss of life, indeed?
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by mygee33(m): 6:10pm On Oct 19, 2009
Great Malabytes and Malabresses, she is one of us, and we cant fold our hands,  this northerners deserve to be on there own,,, one Nigeria my foot,  Revenge shud be the watchword,
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by texazzpete(m): 10:16pm On Oct 19, 2009
Mad_Max:

You found compulsory military service in some countries on wikipedia, and so NYSC is justifed? Did the Federal Government consult Wikipedia for just such a list before instituting the programme in the first place, did they inform you they factored your wikipedia list into thinking up NYSC?

All the Wikipedia entry was intended for was to show you that the National Service scheme could have been worse than the NYSC for Nigerians, simple as that. Now you're veering off into unintelligent babble here. Did i not exhort you before to keep logic in the forefront despite your passion for the issue at hand?

Mad_Max:

A huge percentage of the countries on your list aren't even African countries, but are historically some of the bloodiest, war-torn countries on the planet. Their issues and priorities certainly differ from Nigeria's. Their instituting compulsory military service somehow obligates Nigeria to copy them in some way? And what about more peaceful countries, similar to Nigeria, where no form of compulsory service is required of fresh graduates? What of those countries?

Yet another illogical statement. Peaceful country? Have you forgotten that the NYSC scheme was started AFTER the very bloody Nigerian Civil war?
Here's the NYSC entry from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Youth_Service_Corps
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is a program to involve Nigerian graduates in the development of their country. There is no military conscription in Nigeria, but since 1973 graduates of universities and later Polytechnics have been required to take part in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program of their service year.[1]
One of the expectations of the program is that "corps" members should be posted to cities and states[b] far from home and states of origin.They are expected to mix with people of other tribes, social and family backgrounds, to learn the culture of the indigenes in the place they are posted to. It is a way to engender unity in Nigeria, to help youths appreciate other ethnic groupings in the country[/b].

The key item is that the scheme was set up as a form of National Service, with the added benefit of engendering inter-cultural and inter-ethnic integration. The Wikipedia entry for 'National Service' states that it usually comes in the form of millitary conscription.
The Nigerian Government decided that some form of National Service was needed after the Civil War, and my point has been that National Service could easily have taken the form of millitary conscription. However, we got the more benign (and frankly better) form in the NYSC scheme.

Since inception, the NYSC and the corps members have served in the development of Nigeria and Nigerians. I expect that at least 20% of Nigeria's teachers are corps members - and they provide relatively good quality education at the primary and secondary levels in rural areas. That in itself is a positive element.

Mad_Max:

I mentioned that 2M is a paltry amount to offer the family. And it is. You come up with some maximum amount the govt can give. Does that make the sums involved any less paltry?

You were the one saying by my description of 2M as small, I was putting a price on the girl's life. Compensating a family for loss has nothing to do with the price of life.

2 million naira would be a paltry sum only if you're trying to put a price on the girl's life. If the objective is not to price the girl's life, then what is offered becomes a token. Simple as that.

Mad_Max:

You were the one saying by my description of 2M as small, I was putting a price on the girl's life. Compensating a family for loss has nothing to do with the price of life. And my analogy is relevant, since it is the appropriateness of monetary compensation for loved ones lost that is under discussion, not whether the circumstances are similar. I see a reference to the well-oiled legal systems in America and Europe where compensation for human loss is ingrained into the system, is 'illogical' to you. Man.
Compensation is 'ingrained into the system' in the legal systems in America and Europe when it can be proven that the party on trial is directly or indirectly responsible for the death of the affected persons.
Even the greatest lawyer in the world will find it an impossible task to successfully convince a judge that the Federal Government bears the responsibility for her death.

So yes, comparing this situation to an air crash incident where the airline is usually culpable for the tragedy is nothing short of illogical.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by Beaf: 10:24pm On Oct 19, 2009
Every community should compile their own list of Arewa corpers just in case one of theirs is taken by almajiri's. Vengeance should be instant. 7 Lives for each loss.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by 3seriez(m): 11:36pm On Oct 19, 2009
Beaf

Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m
« #141 on: Today at 10:24:30 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every community should compile their own list of Arewa corpers just in case one of theirs is taken by almajiri's. Vengeance should be instant. 7 Lives for each loss.

angryWith thoughts like yours, How will this country progress, Is That your solution?
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by hatbreaker: 12:09am On Oct 20, 2009
Udezue i support you o, I ask maself what is the value of a Nigerian life??
Things will never continue like this,
2Million naira, thats the value of the life of a Nigerian youth slain in the line of duty, Its not about the money.
.They are quick to protect themselves in the south and feel very comfortable when posted here for youth corp,but make it hell when us southerners get posted there, ??let them keep their money and use it to protect the lives of our children who go to strange places in the name of service to fatherland, Rubbish!!!
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by GeorgeD1(m): 11:34am On Oct 20, 2009
unfortunately, that's how life is so cheap for them.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by pusji: 11:59am On Oct 20, 2009
so sad, enough is enough this people have cross there boundary's but we Nigerians are still lookink.is time we act because the government will allways cover up.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by MadMax1(f): 12:14pm On Oct 20, 2009
@Texazzpete

You certainly like the word 'illogical'. Makes you feel like the quintessence of logic, yes? Whatever makes you feel good. I couldn't care less. Your arguments weary me.

Remember those children some bastards under the guise of 'pastors' labelled witches in Eket? Many of them killed in horrible ways? It seems the State Governor is 'trying'. He instituted child protection laws that make it illegal for a child in the state to be labelled a witch, and one madman pastor guilty of this was arrested. To support the organisation that's been providing help to these children, (of course, started by a European. Nigerians don't have 'time') visit

http://www.steppingstonesnigeria.org/howtohelp

I recall the incident made you as angry as it did me, and I thought you might wish to do something about it.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by ifysiimpa(f): 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2009
NYSC, HMM I DID MINE IN NOWAGBANTAI RIVERS STATE, AND I HONESTLY DONT SEE ANY REASON FOR THE WEEKS OF THE MOST MISERABLE EXPERIENCE OF MY ENTIRE LIFE. TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, THE NORTHERNERS DONT COME OUT FOR THE EXCRUTIATING AND DREADED MORNING EXERCISE. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME IN SOMEONES LIFE. AT THE END THE DAY THEY COLLECT THE PEANUTS GIVEN TO US AS ALLOWE. WHAT ALIFE. AND TO THIINK THAT SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE DIED BEAUSE OF NYSC. MAY THEIR SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE. IF WE WANT AN END TO NYSC, EVERY SINGLE PERSON DEPLOYED IN A PARTICULAR SHOULD NOT ATTEND, ANYONE FOUND GOING TO CAMP SHOLD BE GIVEN THE BEATING OF HIS LIFE. AFTER MY NYSC THE RIVERS STATE GOVERNMENT REFUSED TO EMPLOY ME COS AM NOT AN INDIGENE, TO THINK THAT I INTRODUCED ART IN THE SCHOOL FOR THE FIRST TIME, THEY EMPLOYED AN INDIGENE THAT COMES TO WORK ONCE A WEEK WHAT A LAUGH. WHY POST ME IN ANOTHER STATE AND REFUSE ME A JOB AT THE END OF MY SERVICE YEAR. WHERE IS THE ONE NIGERIA. WE ALL NEED A WAKE UP CALL. ITS ALL MAN AND GOD FOR HIMSELF.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by omodada1: 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2009
call a spade a spade, NYSC is 99.9% useless. it has lost its vision and goal, its just a scheme to reduce population of graduates tru accidents, miss use of potentials, sexual abuses, theft tru poor fainancial pay, name it. its now a death trap everyone knows but must just pass tru. must we continue in ingnorace and ask dat the grace of God abund?
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by Shawn45: 2:13pm On Oct 20, 2009
Why don't they scrap the damm NYSC!!!!!
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by GeorgeD1(m): 10:44am On Oct 21, 2009
truth be told, that may be where all this is headed.
Re: Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m by tundebj(m): 8:44am On Oct 11, 2013
Realy simpathyse wt my fellow Corpa weee, Governors say make we create job everywhere we go. I told u, its time to stop all d useless shakara and spend d service year thinking, planning, saving and executing our plans as soon as we leave camp. E don happen now, na wer we go run to? Wen we visited ur cds, most of u refused to listen... Join GreenWORLD DISTRIBUTORS u refused, join Teamupafrica, u refused, hope ur eyes don clear now, in d nxt 3 months you wil understand what wer talking about. Whether u believe it or not most of us ar millionaires. Wt ur pride, u wl face lagos road. In case u believe u hav a marketing spirit and can show result, contact me, job plenty 4 does wey like truth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Monthly Allowance: February Allawee Not Yet Paid / Anambra Corpers, NYSC 2017 Batch A / Nysc Declines Requests For Redeployment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.