Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

What you need to know about Argungu Festival - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What you need to know about Argungu Festival (11665 Views)

See The Sorry State Of Argungu Fishing Festival Site(photos) / The Life And Times Of Emir Argungu Yakubu Nabame [c.1815-1854] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What you need to know about Argungu Festival by ipledge10(m): 5:07pm On Sep 25, 2016
Argungu Fishing Festival is one of the major festival celebrated annually to mark the end of the centuries-old hostility between the Sokoto caliphate region and the Kebbi kingdom in the northern part of Nigeria.

The festival was initiated in the year 1934 in Argungu, Kebbi State. The Argungu Fishing Festival is an annual 4 days event in Kebbi State, Nigeria. It is mostly celebrated in the month of February after the end of all farming activities.

The festival started initially in the form of religious rites as an informal family and communal affair. The Argungu festival has undergone several changes and modifications which makes the event more stylish and developed.

More than 30,000 fisherman had taken part in the annual Argungu fishing festival. The main event of the festival is the fishing contest in river Mata Fada, where fishing nets and traditional gourds made with calabashes are been used. The fisherman who catches the biggest fish wins a prize of $7500. In the year 2005 the winner caught a fish weighing 75kg, that is the biggest fish that have been caught in the festival till date.

The evolution of the festival at Argungu seems to go hand with the socio economic development of the people of Kebbi.

The fishing festival has become an international event in which people from Africa, Europe, America and other continents would converge in the ancient town of Argungu to witness the festival every year. The festival was taken over by the Kebbi State Government because of its growing popularity and economic potentials.
Gen. Yakubu Gowon together with Alh. Diori Hammani of Niger Republic were the first head of states to attend the Argungu festival in the 1970. Since then the festival has been visited by all presidents of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The festival also attracts governors from different states in the country most especially the northern states governors.

Argungun festival is currently one of the most popular festivals in Nigeria which attracts tourist all over the world. If you want to visit Nigeria, try and visit around February, spending at least a week Argungu during the fishing festival will give moments to always remember.
http://instaculture.com/argungu-festival/

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by JeffreyJamez(m): 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2016
Space out your content and use paragraph.
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by ipledge10(m): 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
Space out your content and use paragraph.
thanks
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by JeffreyJamez(m): 5:43pm On Sep 25, 2016
ipledge10:
thanks

Better..... Nice write up by the way.
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by ipledge10(m): 9:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
Cc Lalasticala front page
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Donshemzy1234: 1:20pm On Sep 26, 2016
People are hungry you're here talking about festival

1 Like

Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Sijo01(f): 1:20pm On Sep 26, 2016
Will they still see fish to catch in this recession period embarassed
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by MoreData: 1:21pm On Sep 26, 2016
Fishes are nt on Recession but d market will b..
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Olukokosir(m): 1:22pm On Sep 26, 2016
Chooo.... Nd Recession cum dey now... Were ll dey c enof fish to catch now
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 26, 2016
Why then do we still import fish?
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by rabex123(m): 1:22pm On Sep 26, 2016
Very rich culture .
.I trustcsome people will come here and write a tribalistic comment.

1 Like

Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by allanphash7(m): 1:23pm On Sep 26, 2016
I love tradition alot
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 26, 2016
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by AngelAhnie(f): 1:24pm On Sep 26, 2016
Nice one
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by rabex123(m): 1:24pm On Sep 26, 2016
Vorpal:
The festival is annual..they don't fish in the river until during the festival.
Or are u saying d fishes from DAT river should feed Nigeria for a year??

1 Like

Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by MsFaith: 1:24pm On Sep 26, 2016
shocked 75kg fish, 1 and half bag of rice in weight. I would love to attend this festival
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 26, 2016
rabex123:

The festival is annual..they don't fish in the river until during the festival.
Or are u saying d fishes from DAT river should feed Nigeria for a year??

I guess that explains the reason why they get so big.

The rivers we have all over Nigeria is not enough to cater for the demand of fishes to each region?
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Lilimax(f): 1:32pm On Sep 26, 2016
Are we sure we still have those massive fish on that river cos it seems everything have changed in this dispensation embarassed
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by wwee: 1:38pm On Sep 26, 2016
nice and funny cultures

Wwe Clash Of Champions 25-09-2016 Results

check the news and videos on wwe

clash of champions
wwevideos.ml

1 Like

Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Shiifi(m): 1:39pm On Sep 26, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

Better..... Nice write up by the way.
U DEY FORM GENIUS ABI

Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Emu4life(m): 1:52pm On Sep 26, 2016
Rich Culture
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by mysticgal(f): 1:52pm On Sep 26, 2016
I always watched the festival on TV and I loved it. I remembered wishing to go for the festivities......... I still wish to. embarassed
God please borrow me 100 billion dollars from my account in heaven, I wan tidy somethings now. Thank you,, I give gratitude cool

1 Like

Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:58pm On Sep 26, 2016
Shiifi:

U DEY FORM GENIUS ABI

You have no Idea grin
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Shiifi(m): 2:10pm On Sep 26, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

You have no Idea grin
I PITY U

Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by charlesucheh(m): 2:18pm On Sep 26, 2016
that's
ipledge10:
http://instaculture.com/argungu-festival/
that's true .... but you forgot to include that no one can go fishing in that particular river until the festive period i.e during the fishing festival.......... abi?
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by ipledge10(m): 2:32pm On Sep 26, 2016
charlesucheh:
that'sthat's true .... but you forgot to include that no one can go fishing in that particular river until the festive period i.e during the fishing festival.......... abi?
i will thank you
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by forget101O(m): 2:35pm On Sep 26, 2016
Vorpal:

We don't import fresh-water (river) Fish. It is only salt-water (ocean) fish that is imported. I think we are doing well in fish production and fishing in Nigeria\
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 26, 2016
forget101O:

We don't import fresh-water (river) Fish. It is only salt-water (ocean) fish that is imported. I think we are doing well in fish production and fishing in Nigeria\

Gracias for clearing the difference.

However, am yet to come across any fresh water fish in the market. What is generally sold in the market is, salt water fish I guess. But still seeing as Nigeria is not land locked why do we still import salt water fish despite our proximity to the Atlantic ocean?
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by enthusiastica: 2:49pm On Sep 26, 2016
Sijo01:
Will they still see fish to catch in this recession period embarassed
: hahahahahaahahha D cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by abike12(f): 2:58pm On Sep 26, 2016
Interesting. Thanks OP!
Re: What you need to know about Argungu Festival by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 26, 2016
rabex123:
Very rich culture .
.I trustcsome people will come here and write a tribalistic comment.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ondo Chief Bayo Akinnola Dies At 78 / Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please / Does " Bitter Cola " Ward Off Evil Attack/poisoning? How True Is This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.