Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,009 members, 7,821,546 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper (4309 Views)

'Help Me Collect My Allawee' - Ogun Corper's Last Words Before His Death / NYSC Inspired Birthday Shower Of A Corper In Osun (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by shogat(m): 7:59pm On Sep 27, 2016
A friend of mine asked me how it has been as a corper and he specifically wanted to know how much I have been able to save thus far. He was shocked when I told him I don't have any savings yet and don't think I will come up with any at the end of my service year.

I know I sounded not serious or reckless to him because he told me he was able to save during his time.

I don't like giving excuses, but I think I have a tangible one as regard to not been able to save. You don't expect me to save the same amount corps members saved few years ago when things were still a bit smooth. Things have changed but the "allawee" being paid remains constant.

The price for a bag of rice now is more than 20,000 naira; a litre of fuel is now 143 naira; almost the price of everything in the market have changed and you want me to save.

It is from this 19,800 stipend I am to feed, transport to PPA and CDS, subscribe for data(if you're an Internet freak like me), pay rent, pay tithes and contributions( if you're religious) and there are still people still looking unto you.

The allowance can barely stand for survival and saving it's far from it unless you are ready to starve. Some of us had plans to save before but just can't. Some corps members even resort to begging for survival.

The money is not enough that's why some corpers tag it "blood money". The government should increase it o

3 Likes

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by mhizAnnie(f): 8:05pm On Sep 27, 2016
They should increase ooo please

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by mankan2k7(m): 8:06pm On Sep 27, 2016
in case I
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by DTOBS(m): 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2016
Op, you re 99% right with your assertion and I must confess that It's not been easy...

Take my own spending analysis...
House rent-paid a year advance
Food items-#4000 in a month (this cut across all the staple food item and condiments. Instead of foreign rice, I stick to stone free)
Transport- I adopted what we tagged "Oga abeg" for benue here. (going to cds is not a problem cos with ur uniform, indigenes re ready to give you free ride on their bike or car. Even from one town to the other, it is free so far you have ur NYSC cap with you.
Sub - #1000 (it must last a month, else dey go hear)
Misc-#3000
Total for a month - #7000.
With this, I still have little to save out of the "blood money"

Though, state differ sha, but you can try and save a little so as not to beg for TFare back home grin

BTW: where re you serving and what batch?

6 Likes

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by shogat(m): 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2016
mhizAnnie:
yes it is necessary so those coming won't suffer same

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by mhizAnnie(f): 10:20pm On Sep 27, 2016
shogat:

yes it is necessary so those coming won't suffer same

But things are getting worse by the day so all we can do is hope
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by arcnomec(m): 7:24am On Sep 28, 2016
mhizAnnie:

Just have faith that things will change for the better.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by shogat(m): 11:24am On Sep 28, 2016
mhizAnnie:

yes o

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by shogat(m): 11:26am On Sep 28, 2016
arcnomec:

Just have faith that things will change for the better.
Let's have faith yokiti , CrazyMan, Ogbeche77, Seun, Lalasticlala push it for them to see
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by Benjom(m): 11:58am On Sep 28, 2016
Well, I quite agree with you to some extent but biko even if it's 1k, save.
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by CaptainKool15(m): 1:44pm On Sep 28, 2016
DTOBS:
Op, you re 99% right with your assertion and I must confess that It's not been easy...

Take my own spending analysis...
House rent-paid a year advance
Food items-#4000 in a month (this cut across all the staple food item and condiments. Instead of foreign rice, I stick to stone free)
Transport- I adopted what we tagged "Oga abeg" for benue here. (going to cds is not a problem cos with ur uniform, indigenes re ready to give you free ride on their bike or car. Even from one town to the other, it is free so far you have ur NYSC cap with you.
Sub - #1000 (it must last a month, else dey go hear)
Misc-#3000
Total for a month - #7000.
With this, I still have little to save out of the "blood money"

Though, state differ sha, but you can try and save a little so as not to beg for TFare back home grin

BTW: where re you serving and what batch?

4000naira on foodstuff??
pls give us the break down..
Cuz I don't believe it.
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by DTOBS(m): 1:55pm On Sep 28, 2016
CaptainKool15:

4000naira on foodstuff??
pls give us the break down..
Cuz I don't believe it.
Lol... Like I said
I go for stone free rice instead of foreign one which is expensive.
Yam is cheap, 2spag, Garri, beans, oil and seasonings...
I tried as much as possible to cut down unnecessary spending...
Cook soup once a week so the foodstuff can like. Only had challenged with the garri, cos it finishes before 2weeks.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by CaptainKool15(m): 2:05pm On Sep 28, 2016
DTOBS:

Lol... Like I said
I go for stone free rice instead of foreign one which is expensive.
Yam is cheap, 2spag, Garri, beans, oil and seasonings...
I tried as much as possible to cut down unnecessary spending...
Cook soup once a week so the foodstuff can like. Only had challenged with the garri, cos it finishes before 2weeks.

One Tier of local rice: 800
1 tier of beans : 550
Yam : 500 (5 tubers)
Sphag: 300
Oil: 350
Garri : 400

so let's say you're not living but survivng.??

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by DTOBS(m): 2:15pm On Sep 28, 2016
CaptainKool15:

Am living and surviving... grin

Cause am happy always

4 Likes

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by Donpizzle(m): 4:53pm On Sep 28, 2016
DTOBS:

Am living and surviving... grin

Cause am happy always
I can imagine how emaciated you are now. Anywaz, kudos to you.
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by DTOBS(m): 5:55pm On Sep 28, 2016
Donpizzle:

I can imagine how emaciated you are now. Anywaz, kudos to you.
Lolzzz na you talk one oooo...
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by Fingerprinter(m): 12:51pm On Sep 29, 2016
Breakdown of all the money I've withdrawn this month.
1. My ppa paid me 7k for this month, and it has finished.
2. I withdrew 10k after that from my nysc allawee, that one don finish too. Remember I was having around 27800 on the allawee account o.
3. Withdrew another 10k from nysc allawee account making the balance there around 7k. That one has finished too.
4. A client I did a job for paid me 7k into my personal account, I have withdrawn that one and it's just remaining 2k with me now.

Total expenditure for this month so far. 7k + 10k + 10k + 7k = 34k.
So if you minus the 2k I have at hand now, it means I have spent roughly 32k this month alone. Not that I live an extravagant lifestyle o. But my guys in sabon gari kano will understand how 'cheap' things are there.
Now tell me where will the savings come from. I have savings sha, but definitely not from nysc allawee. I have other personal hustle that is bringing me cash. If not for that, man for don crash be that o.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by Adeyemi0(m): 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2016
CaptainKool15:

Please which state is this...
I'm serving at Ebonyi state, if you are not smart here Allawee will not reach 20th of the month..

1 paint of Foreign rice is 2000 while Local rice(with stone)1700
beans 1200
garri 600
5 tubers of yam will cost nothing less than 1500
spagg is 180 per unit
kerosene 250 per litr

And the worst part is no light(even the time they have light, the community youth disconnect corpers lodge light, i have never in my life witness such horrible scenario like that before with one stupid fellow called their youth leader) and no water except raining season...
I regret my mobilization to East.
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by SC31(f): 10:57pm On Sep 29, 2016
CaptainKool15:

what is tier,Congo??
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by CaptainKool15(m): 10:58pm On Sep 29, 2016
Adeyemi0:

I'm serving at Ebonyi state, if you are not smart here Allawee will not reach 20th of the month..

beans 1200
garri 600
spagg is 180 per unit
kerosene 250 per litr

chai.. Baba I pity your condition...
we go survive

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by CaptainKool15(m): 11:05pm On Sep 29, 2016
SC31:
what is tier,Congo??
Nooo. it is a big iron bowl.. it is equivalent to 1and half of "Congo"
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by SC31(f): 11:07pm On Sep 29, 2016
CaptainKool15:

Nooo.
it is a big iron bowl..
it is equivalent to 1and half of "Congo"
okay that means things are kinda expensive there
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by CaptainKool15(m): 11:14pm On Sep 29, 2016
SC31:
okay that means things are kinda expensive there

How much do you buy Congo of foreign rice ?
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by SC31(f): 4:08pm On Sep 30, 2016
CaptainKool15:

How much do you buy Congo of foreign rice ?
long grain is #500,short grain #450
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by shogat(m): 8:05pm On Sep 30, 2016
Adeyemi0:

beans 1200
garri 600
spagg is 180 per unit
kerosene 250 per litr

And the worst part is no light(even the time they have light, the community youth disconnect corpers lodge light, i have never in my life witness such horrible scenario like that before with one stupid fellow called their youth leader) and no water except raining season...
hmmmm
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by arcnomec(m): 8:00pm On Oct 20, 2016
mhizAnnie:

Babe,how far your mobilisation stuff,were you finally mobilised by your school? if yes,are you done with registration ....Is been awhile I heard from you.
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by kazolad(m): 8:11pm On Oct 20, 2016
Try and safe part of your allawee in MMM, before you know it, the money don turn big like say three months. That's what I did. I tried as much as possible to start with 20k (my one month allawee) and has yielded a lot nao.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by mhizAnnie(f): 5:20pm On Nov 05, 2016
arcnomec:

Babe,how far your mobilisation stuff,were you finally mobilised by your school? if yes,are you done with registration ....Is been awhile I heard from you.

I have registered already
Thanks dear
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 05, 2016
Adeyemi0:

beans 1200
garri 600
spagg is 180 per unit
kerosene 250 per litr

thank God I've found someone who say the truth as it is. the people are not friendly to corp members. in my location. I've not set my eyes on light since I've been here.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by Adeyemi0(m): 9:01pm On Nov 05, 2016
WinningSun:

thank God I've found someone who say the truth as it is. the people are not friendly to corp members. in my location. I've not set my eyes on light since I've been here.
hmm!! Light for where?
It will soon be over God is your strength just endure the remaining period.
Good luck.
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by arcnomec(m): 11:48pm On Nov 08, 2016
Wow,that's great.see you in camp then. What's your states selection?
Re: Why I Can't Save My "Allawee" As A Corper by connectikut89(m): 5:53am On Feb 05, 2017
You won't go for NYSC if you gain admission into the university at 28 or over

I just dey here dey see people comments. How young guyman dey starve himself say he dey use 4k chop in a month.

See current price of food items and other things and how I buy them as a Corper serving in Kwara state. I get N0.00 monthly from my PPA.

Airtime - 500 (Necessary for calls)
Sub - 1500 (Glo don dey mess up so Airtel)
Tea - 700 (2 rolls of Cowbell coffee @350)
Milk - 800 (Three crowns 500g sachet)
Rice - 2400 (4 Congos of long grain @ 600)
Beans - 1000 (2 Congos @ 500)
Spag - 500 (2 sachets @ 250)
G. Oil - 900 (1 litre of Kings oil)
P. Oil - 1400 (2 75cl bottles @ 700)
Garri - 1400 (2 Paint rubbers @ 700)
Yam - 500 (2 tubers)
Gas - 1300 (3kg)
Water - 880 (1 bag @ 140 - 11/2 bags p week)
Soups - 4000 (At least 1k/wk for Soups & stew)
Misc - 3000 (List includes toothpaste, bathing soaps, detergents, bar soaps, sugar, sachet tomato, knorr seasoning, bleach, starch, onions etc)

Total = 19780

How much remain to save na?

PS: There's still a lot more to add to the above list like transport, drinks, barbecue fish, suya and beer with friends over the weekend, football games etc.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Types Of People You Meet In NYSC Orientation Camp / Best States For Nysc Posting And How Much They Pay / ABIA state corpers batch A stream 1 & 2 2016 Enter Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.