Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,427 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

The Trinity Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Trinity Of God (810 Views)

Anony & Deep Sight: Verse By Verse Academy On The Trinity & The Deity Of Christ / About The Trinity / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Trinity Of God by pastorjose: 5:27pm On Oct 14, 2009
THE DOCTRINE STATED
The scriptures teach that God is one, and that beside Him there is no God. The question might arise, how could God have any fellowship before finite creatures came into existence? The answer is that the divine unity is a compound unity, and that in this unity, there are really three distinct persons, every one of whom is the Godhead, and yet is supremely conscious of the other two, so we see that there was an eternal fellowship7 before any finite creatures were created, therefore, God was never alone.
Not that there are three Gods, all of whom are independent and self existing. The three co-operate with one mind and purpose, so that in the truest sense of the word they are one. The father creates, the son redeems, and the Holy Ghost sanctifies and yet in each operation the three are present. is pre-eminently the creator, yet the son and the spirit are described as co-operating in that work. The son is pre-eminently the redeemer, yet God the father and the holy Ghost are described as sending the son to redeem. The Holy Spirit is the sanctifier and yet the Father and the son co-operate in that work.
The trinity is an eternal fellowship, but the work of man’s redemption called forth its historical manifestation. The son entered the world in a new way when he took to himself human nature and he was given a new name, Jesus. The Holy Spirit entered the world in a new way that is as the spirit of Christ and yet the three worked together. The father testified of the son matt. 3; 17 and the son testified of the father john 5; 19. The son testified of the spirit john 14; 26 and later the spirit testified of the son. John 16; 26
Does all this seem difficult of understanding? How could it be otherwise, since we are attempting to describe the inner life of the almighty God? The doctrine of the trinity is clearly a revealed doctrine and not one conceived by the human reason. How else could we learn of the inner nature of the Godhead except by revelation? 1cor. 2;16. it is true that the word trinity does not appear in the new testament. it is a theological expression invented during the second century to described the Godhead. But the planet Jupiter existed before it was so named, and then doctrine of the trinity was in the bible before it was technically named the trinity.
THE DFOCTRINE DEFINED.
We can quite understand why the doctrine of the trinity was sometimes misunderstood and misstated. It was very difficult to find human terms in describing the unity of Godhead and at the same time the reality and the distinction of persons. In laying stress upon the reality of Christ’s deity and the personality of the Holy Spirit some writers seemed to be in danger of falling into Tritheism or belief in three Gods. Other writers laying stress on the unity of God seemed in danger of forgetting the distinction of persons. The last error is commonly known as sabellianism from bishop sabellous who taught that the Father, the son and the Holy Spirit are three aspects or manifestation of God This error has appeared many times in the history of the church and is current today.
The doctrine is clearly unscriptural and is excluded by the sharp distinctions drawn in scripture between the father, son and the spirit. The father loves and sends the son, the son leaves and returns to the father. The father and the son sends the spirit, the spirit intercedes with the father, If then the father son and the spirit are three aspects or manifestation of God, then the new testament is a mass of confusion. For example, a reading of the intercessory prayer in john 17 with the thought that the father , the son and the spirit are one person, will reveal the absurdity of the doctrine. ‘’as I have given myself power over all flesh, that I should give eternal life to as many as I have given myself… I have glorified myself on the earth; I have finished the work which I gave myself to do. And now I glorify myself with my own self with the glory which I had with me before the world was.
How was the doctrine of the trinity preserved from becoming overbalanced either on the side of unity ( sabellianism) or on the other side of tri-unity( Tritheism) By the formulation of dogmas, that is interpretations which define the doctrine and fence it against error. the following example of dogma is found in the athanasian creed, formulated during the fifth century.,
We worship one God in trinity, and trinity in unity. Neither confounding the persons, for the person of the father is one, and the son another and the spirit another, but of the father and the son and the spirit, there is one divinity, equal glory and equal co-majesty. What the father is the same is the son and the holy ghost. The father is uncreated, the son is uncreated, and the Holy Ghost is uncreated. the father is immense, the son is also immense and the spirit is immense. The father is eternal, the son is eternal and the spirit is eternal and yet there are not three eternals but one eternal, so there are not three beings( uncreated) but one uncreated and one immense. inline manner the father is omnipotent, the son also is and the holy ghost is. and yet there are not three omnipotence. Thus the father is God, the son is God and the spirit is God and yet there are not three Gods but one God. Thus the father is lord, the son is lord and the spirit is lord and yet there are not three lords. Because we are c se we are compelled by Christian verity to confess each persons severally to be God and lord.Thwe father was from none ,neither made nor created. The son is from the father, neither made nor created but begotten. The Holy Ghost was from the father and the son, neither created, nor made, nor begotten but was proceeding. Therefore there is one father, one son and one Holy Ghost and not three.
And in this trinity there is nothing first or last, nothing greater or less, but all the three coeternal persons are coequal among themselves, so that through all, as is above said, both unity in trinity and trinity in unity is to be worshipped.
THE DCTRINE PROVEN.
Inasmuch as the doctrine of the trinity concerns the inner nature of the trinity, it could not be known except by revelation and this revelation is found in the scripture.
The old testament proven;
Each member of the trinity is mentioned in the Old Testament; 1. Father. Isa. 63;16 malachi 2;10, 2. the son of Jehovah. Psalm 45;6, 2;6, 7, 12 prov. 30;4 the messiah is described with divine titles jer. 23;5, 6 isa. 9;6. Holy spirit gen.1;l2, isa 11;2,3;4816;61;1;63;10
The new testament.
So the early Christians was confronted with two facts, that God is one, and that the father is God, the son is God and the spirit is God. And this two great facts concerning God constitute the doctrine of the trinity. God the father was a reality to them, the son was a reality to them and the spirit was reality to them. And the only conclusion that could be reached from this facts that in the God head there was a real but mysterious distinction of personality, which distinction became manifested in the divine work for man’s redemption. Several new testament passages mention the three divine persons. See matt. 3; 16,17; 28:19 john 14:16 , 17, 26; 15:26, 2cor. 13:14, gal. 4:6
THE DOCTYRINE ILLUSTRATED
How can three persons be one God? Is a question which puzzles many people? We do not wonder at their perplexity, for in considering the inner nature of the eternal God we are dealing with a form of existence much different from our own.
Illustrations may be drawn from Nature, human personality, and human relations.
NATURE;
Nature furnishes many analogies. 1. water is one and yet it is known in three forms, water, ice and steam. 2. there is one electricity and yet I a street car it works as ,motion, light and heat. 3. It has been pointed out that every beam of light has three rays. First the actinic which as invisible second, the luminiferous, which is visible and thirdly the calorific, which gives heat and is felt but invisible. Where these three are there is light, where we have these three there is light. God is light, God the father is invisible, He became visible in His son and He his operative in the world through the Holy Ghost who is invisible yet effective. 4. Three candles in a room will give but one light. 5. a triangle has three sides and three angles, take away one side, it is no longer a triangle, where there are three angles, there is one triangle.
HUMAN PERSONALITY;
God said let us make man in our own image after our likeness. Man is one yet tripartite, consisting of the spirit, soul and body. 2. Human consciousness points to divisions in personality, have we not at times become conscious of reasoning with ourselves and of ourselves listening to our conversations? I talk to myself, and I listen to myself talking to myself.
RELATIONS;
God is love. he was eternally a lover, but love requires an object of love, and being eternal, He must have had an eternal object of love, namely His son. The eternal bond and the out flowing of that love is the Holy Spirit, 2. Our Government is one, yet it has three branches; legislative, judicial and executive.
I believe with this teachings you have come to understand more about the God we serve, and I am sure that I have nullify doubts in you but to let you know that the father, the son and the holy spirit is one God in trinity and trinity in unity
Re: The Trinity Of God by DeepSight(m): 4:00pm On Oct 15, 2009
Can you contextualize the history of the development of the Trinity Doctrine within the events at the Council of Nicea?
Re: The Trinity Of God by KINGJ2: 8:38pm On Oct 15, 2009
Hi,
What an expose that blows one away, so brilliant! Never heard such incisive and illustrative wisdom on the issue of the Trinity Of God. Thank U for throwing such light in the house.

However for the simplest understanding and for mortals my level, The truth about the Trinity of God in the common man's language is that There is Only One God with One Personality That Manifested In Three Offices: Being The FATHER, SON,HOLLY SPIRIT For Three Dispensational reasons:

FATHER=Fatherhood
SON= Sonship (Saviour)
H/SPIRIT=Abiding (Indwelling) Comforter

These are just Tittles/Offices for the same person.
Re: The Trinity Of God by pastorjose: 2:58pm On Oct 17, 2009
hello, that the father, the son and the holy spirit are three aspects or manifestation of God is totally wrong then the Bible i. e the word of God itself is a mass of error and confussion. Illustration. As it was written after the mission of christ on earth that he was seen ascended into the right hand side of the father, would the same God descend down in the form of the Flesh to save man, lead Himself by himself, and then ressurect by himself and then seen raised up above the earth and seen sitted at the right hand side of himself? reason over this. It then also means He has also come down as the holy spirit as He once promised that He would send a Comforter. I have explained this above before. It is termed as sabellianisam from bishop sabellious.
Re: The Trinity Of God by Abuzola(m): 3:03pm On Oct 17, 2009
Enough of ur super story episode, simply show me a single trinity in the bible and i will embrace christianity. I know you can never find it. Your arguement is that of chukwu amaka who said jesus ate amala simply by making a lot of speech without any vital info on the subject matter
Re: The Trinity Of God by yoji: 3:33pm On Oct 18, 2009
Since God is almighty, y is he restricted to only 1 son? y not 3 sons or maybe 5 sons and 2 daughters? Afterall he is God Almighty.
Re: The Trinity Of God by jagunlabi(m): 5:20pm On Oct 18, 2009
yoji:

Since God is almighty, y is he restricted to only 1 son? y not 3 sons or maybe 5 sons and 2 daughters? Afterall he is God Almighty.
Before this tri-god go fit born pickin sef,im go need to get wife,abi?So . . . wey im wife for dis trinity setup?
The father - the son - holy spirit/ghost.Shey na holy ghost be im wife?
Re: The Trinity Of God by Abuzola(m): 9:22pm On Oct 18, 2009
Hahahahahahahahaha *choke* hehehehehe
Re: The Trinity Of God by theseeker2: 10:55pm On Oct 18, 2009
where are the jehovah witnesses in the house? I really enjoy the way they demolish the trinity fairytale. Trinity is perhaps the most stupid doctrine in xtianity  i have heard at least a 100 differnt interpretaions. My favorite is the one that they use when u put them in a tight corner. They simply claim it is beyond human comprehesion.
Trinity is very common in most pagan religions and occults. For eg the hindus have a trinity of gods brahma, vishnu and shiva.
Re: The Trinity Of God by Mudley313: 7:04am On Oct 19, 2009
However for the simplest understanding and for mortals my level, The truth about the Trinity of God in the common man's language is that There is Only One God with One Personality That Manifested In Three Offices: Being The FATHER, SON,HOLLY SPIRIT For Three Dispensational reasons:

uh huh? so it was god the father dat came down to die 4 our sins eh? n god was praying to himself b4 he got arrested n while on the cross??
Re: The Trinity Of God by Abuzola(m): 4:56pm On Oct 19, 2009
Lmao
Re: The Trinity Of God by ommo(m): 7:24pm On Oct 19, 2009
God said see how they differ!!!!!!! and i think they are more confuse
Re: The Trinity Of God by Abuzola(m): 10:16pm On Oct 19, 2009
No omo

'As for those who disbelieve, I will punish them with a severe torment in this world and in the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers' Quran 3:56
Re: The Trinity Of God by bawomolo(m): 10:20pm On Oct 19, 2009
jagunlabi:

Before this tri-god go fit born pickin sef,im go need to get wife,abi?So . . . wey im wife for dis trinity setup?
The father - the son - holy spirit/ghost.Shey na holy ghost be im wife?

immaculate conception grin
Re: The Trinity Of God by jagunlabi(m): 1:36pm On Oct 20, 2009
Immaculate kini? So god no get im own personal wifey to do immaculate conception with, but na to dey sleep with other people's wives to get im own pickin?Dat na divine adultery o! No wonder he does not have his own woman,the randy old goat! tongue grin
bawomolo:

immaculate conception grin
Re: The Trinity Of God by theseeker2: 5:53pm On Oct 20, 2009
jagunlabi:

Immaculate kini? So god no get im own personal wifey to do immaculate conception with, but na to dey sleep with other people's wives to get im own pickin?Dat na divine adultery o! No wonder he does not have his own woman,the randy old goat! tongue grin
jagunlabi why are you being so harsh? It was just a fling and nobody was expecting it would result in a baby.
Have u forgotten Zeus did someting similar with some earthling chick and Herculis was born
Re: The Trinity Of God by Abuzola(m): 7:57pm On Oct 20, 2009
'verily, it is of their falsehood that they say God has begotten ? And verily they are liars' Quran 37:151-152
Re: The Trinity Of God by MrTurkey(m): 8:02pm On Oct 20, 2009
grin
Re: The Trinity Of God by luvola(m): 9:02pm On Oct 20, 2009
stop this nah @ abu
Re: The Trinity Of God by luvola(m): 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2009
stop this nah @ abu
Re: The Trinity Of God by Abuzola(m): 9:51pm On Oct 20, 2009
You are looking for my trouble, are you blind to see focus123 action
Re: The Trinity Of God by jagunlabi(m): 12:05pm On Oct 21, 2009
the_seeker:

jagunlabi why are you being so harsh? It was just a fling and nobody was expecting it would result in a baby.
Have u forgotten Zeus did someting similar with some earthling chick and Herculis was born
Ma guy,don't talk about zeus o!That one was  real dawg in heat.No woman wey im no sleep with. . . he should have been called the god of adultery and fornication.

(1) (Reply)

Let's All Pray For Our Sick Leader! / Collective Laziness Under “prayer” / The poor are blessed, not cursed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.