Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,522 members, 7,850,785 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:05 AM

Are We Really Independent? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are We Really Independent? (522 Views)

Do We Really Want The Subsidy Regime Back? / Even Buhari’s Doctors In The UK Don’t Know What Is Wrong With Him – Independent / President Buhari Promises To Resign If He Fails To Recover Soon - Independent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are We Really Independent? by Playwhizard(m): 2:09pm On Oct 01, 2016
Nigeria 56th Independence Anniversary: The effort of our past heroes and the way forward. By Ayomikun Olugbode

Fellow Nigerians, today we are celebrating the independence of our great nation. As we all know, Independence Day is a propitious occasion for us all and will forever remain celebrated. This 56th Independence anniversary may not have been achievable if not for the doggedness, chauvinism, jingoism and ultra-nationalism of our forefathers, the likes of Sir Ahmadu Bello, Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe, Madam Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, Ch. Anthony Enahoro, Ch. Obafemi Awolowo and Herbert Macaulay among others who struggled hard for many years to get freedom against British rule. They were famous patriots who struggled hard for the freedom of Nigeria till the end of their life.

My brothers and sisters, freedom does not come without a price. Some individuals have paid the uncommon price even with their life just to ensure this nation is liberated.

You will agree with me that the post-independence political and economic situation of this country has not been encouraging. For instance, in 1972 one Nigerian Naira was equivalent to 0.68 USD, today the USD dollar is not only greater but the difference is incomparable, we are major exporter of crude oil but we pay with our nose to get a litre of PMS, we call ourselves giant of Africa but we cannot feed ourselves without importing foods despite our green land. If I may ask, where is our free education? Where are the campaign promises? Where have we gone wrong? How did we get to this level? Can I even say we were not ripe for independence in 1960? I know these same questions and many more bother your mind too.

However, fellow Nigerians, as a collective rescue mission, we must be awake from our slumber to save this great nation from sinking in order to ensure that “the labor of our heroes past shall never be in vain” as we rightly say while singing the national anthem. Irrespective of our political, religious or tribal affiliation, let us all remain united as we paddle the boat of this nation to the promise land.

Let the CHANGE begin with you and you will see Nigeria great again.

Happy 56th Independence Anniversary.

Ayomikun Emmanuel Olugbode writes from Ilorin
Re: Are We Really Independent? by olugbode: 6:13pm On Oct 12, 2016
Playwhizard:
Nigeria 56th Independence Anniversary: The effort of our past heroes and the way forward. By Ayomikun Olugbode

Fellow Nigerians, today we are celebrating the independence of our great nation. As we all know, Independence Day is a propitious occasion for us all and will forever remain celebrated. This 56th Independence anniversary may not have been achievable if not for the doggedness, chauvinism, jingoism and ultra-nationalism of our forefathers, the likes of Sir Ahmadu Bello, Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe, Madam Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, Ch. Anthony Enahoro, Ch. Obafemi Awolowo and Herbert Macaulay among others who struggled hard for many years to get freedom against British rule. They were famous patriots who struggled hard for the freedom of Nigeria till the end of their life.

My brothers and sisters, freedom does not come without a price. Some individuals have paid the uncommon price even with their life just to ensure this nation is liberated.

You will agree with me that the post-independence political and economic situation of this country has not been encouraging. For instance, in 1972 one Nigerian Naira was equivalent to 0.68 USD, today the USD dollar is not only greater but the difference is incomparable, we are major exporter of crude oil but we pay with our nose to get a litre of PMS, we call ourselves giant of Africa but we cannot feed ourselves without importing foods despite our green land. If I may ask, where is our free education? Where are the campaign promises? Where have we gone wrong? How did we get to this level? Can I even say we were not ripe for independence in 1960? I know these same questions and many more bother your mind too.

However, fellow Nigerians, as a collective rescue mission, we must be awake from our slumber to save this great nation from sinking in order to ensure that “the labor of our heroes past shall never be in vain” as we rightly say while singing the national anthem. Irrespective of our political, religious or tribal affiliation, let us all remain united as we paddle the boat of this nation to the promise land.

Let the CHANGE begin with you and you will see Nigeria great again.

Happy 56th Independence Anniversary.

Ayomikun Emmanuel Olugbode writes from Ilorin

Glad to read my write up here.

(1) (Reply)

Mixed Reactions Trail Proposed Sale Of Presidential Jets. / No Agency Has Said Patience Jonathan Stole $15.5 Million From It / Senatorial Rerun: Umeh Vows To Trash Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.