Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Question For Muslim - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Question For Muslim (789 Views)

Why Pastors Use Private Jets And A Question For OAP Freeze - By Ife Olaleye / A Question For Mountain Of Fire Members / Question For Atheists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question For Muslim by ajiboye007(m): 8:10pm On Oct 01, 2016
in quran there is a place allah commended muslims on the number of wives they can marry .................
but muslim have beengoing around misinterpreting mis quoting the bible on issue of polygamy, they claim bible and God support polygamy..............

my question is, if God true support polygamy , it will be my pleasure if any muslim could show me where God in bible give commands on numbers of wives to be marry as suppose god of quran did ?

in the beginning God create one man and one woman clearly says one man one woman and the two become one .......if God want or support polygamy as muslim want us to believe, God would have lay the foundation by creating more than one woman for adam .

ITS A SERIOUS MATTER ...........

Re: Question For Muslim by Nobody: 3:52am On Oct 02, 2016
Qur’an is the only religious Scripture on the face of the earth, that says…Marry only one. No Scripture
says Marry only one, except the Holy Qur’an.

Nisa Ch. No. 4, V. No. 3, “ Marry woman of your choice, in twos, threes or fours. But if you cannot do justice, marry only one”

– Islam puts an upper limit.

_ In other ways of life, you can marry as many as you want – no upper limit.

Islam puts on upper limit, of maximum four. But you can marry, only if you can do justice. If you can’t do justice, marry only one.

And the Qur’an says in Surah Nisa, Ch. No. 4, V. No. 129, that… “If It is difficulty to do justice between your wives. So don’t altogether turn away from them”.

Bible

In Exodus 21:10 , a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3 , King

David had six wives and numerous concubines. In 1 Kings 11:3 , King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21 , King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines. In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

Before I present the verses from the New Testament that allow polygamy, I first would like to prove to you that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the laws of the Old Testament, and did order his followers (the Christians as we call them) to follow the laws of the Old Testament:

Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) "

Some Christians Not all always say as an excuse "Oh this law doesn't exist in the New Testament, it is only the Old Testament." Well, according to Matthew 5:17-18 above, we clearly see that Jesus honored the Old Testament, and forces Christians to follow the unmodified laws of it that have not been replaced by newer ones in the New Testament. The Old Testament as we clearly see above does indeed allow polygamy without a shadow of a doubt !!. There is not a single verse from the New Testament that prohibits polygamy.

Some Christian Believe In The Old Testament But I Don't Know If @OP does

Jesus Refers To Old Testament

[b]Matthew 19:1-12

"1. When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2. Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3. Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason? " 4. "Haven't you read," he (Jesus) replied, "that at the beginning the Creator `made them male and female ,'

5. and said, `For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? 6. So they are no longer two, but one . Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7. "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?" 8. Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

9. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery." 10. The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."

11. Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." [/b]

In the above verses, we see that Jesus was approached with a question about whether or not it is allowed for a man to divorce his wife in Matthew 19:3 . Jesus immediately referred to the Old Testament for the answer in Matthew 19:4 . He referred to Adam and Eve, one man and one woman. The Old Testament does talk about the story of Adam and Eve as one husband and one wife. However, the Old Testament which Jesus had referred to in Matthew 19:3 does allow polygamy.

Also, when a man becomes a one flesh with his wife in Matthew 19:5-6 , this doesn't mean that the man can't be one flesh with another woman. He can be one flesh with his first wife, and one flesh with his second wife, and one flesh with his third wife and so on

3 Likes

Re: Question For Muslim by ajiboye007(m): 5:52am On Oct 02, 2016
first you failed to answer the question i asked, instead you want on your own to explain what i didn't asked you........

you said .....
Bible

In Exodus 21:10 , a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

David had six wives and numerous concubines. In 1 Kings 11:3 , King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21 , King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines. In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

#response

kindly show me from any of the verses you listed above where God command those individuals in the above verses to do what they have done ?

you also quotes Matthew 19:1-12

#RESPONSE

i sense high levels of deceit and misinterpretations of this chapter to sweet your islamic view.

The original that was ask is about divorcing a WIFE not wives.

3. Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his WIFE for any and every reason? " 4. "Haven't you read," he (Jesus) replied, "that at the beginning the Creator `made them male and female ,'

and jesus furthers make his stands clear that God in the beginning of creation make them male and female and the two will become one .........NO rooms for WIVES

5. and said, `For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? 6. So they are no longer two, but one . Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

you intentional quote verse 8 of this chapter with RED to make looks as jesus was talking about wives. this is falsehood! jesus use WIVES in this verse, because is addressing the group of Pharisees that come to questions him in pluralism to them, jesus is not make case for polygamy hence jesus would have contradicts himself by referring those Pharisees to what God said in the beginning.

Genesis 2

23 The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ’woman,’ for she was taken out of man."
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his WIFE (not wives), and they become one flesh.
Re: Question For Muslim by Nobody: 6:03am On Oct 02, 2016
[s]
ajiboye007:
first u failed to answer the question i asked, instead you want on your to explaining what i didn't asked you........

you said .....
Bible

#response

kindly show me from any of the verses you listed above where God command those individuals in the above verses to do what they have done ?

you also quotes Matthew 19:1-12

#response

i sense high levels of deceit and misinterpretations of this chapter to sweet your islamic view.

The original that was ask is about divorcing a WIFE not wives

3. Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his WIFE for any and every reason? " 4. "Haven't you read," he (Jesus) replied, "that at the beginning the Creator `made them male and female ,'

and jesus furthers make his stands clear that God in the beginning of creation make them male and female and the two will become one .........NO rooms for WIVES

you intentional quote verse of this chapter with RED to make looks as jesus was talking about wives. this is falsehood, jesus use WIVES in this verse because is addressing the group of Pharisees that come to questions him in pluralism to them, jesus is not make case for polygamy hence jesus would have contradicts him by referring to what God said in the beginning.

Genesis 2

23 The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ’woman,’ for she was taken out of man."
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his WIFE (not wives), and they become one flesh.
[/s]

Where did God command them to do so? You mean they just go against God and do their wish. No scripture in the face of the earth that say Marry One wife except Islam. Anyone who looks at my post will understand. Bible never say marry one, its the teaching of the church to twist the verse and misinform you the followers. By the way I did not reply you to waste my time arguing. I simply replied for open minded Christian who might come across the post NOT your types that will argue and argue despite the Bible verses, all in the name of , that is how it was explain in the church.

Am done here with u, quoting me will be worthless.

1 Like

Re: Question For Muslim by ajiboye007(m): 7:59am On Oct 02, 2016
am still waiting for answer to my question ........

you said ....

No scripture in the face of the earth that say Marry One wife except Islam.

#RESPONSE

how many women God join with Adam in genesis 2:23-24 ?

you said .....

Anyone who looks at my post will understand. Bible never say marry one, its the teaching of the church to twist the verse and misinform you the followers.

#RESPONSE

jesus said it supporting of what God said in genesis 2 one man ,one woman , and two become one flash.

PROVERBS 5:17-19
17 Let them be yours ALONE And not for strangers with you. 18 Let your fountain be blessed, And rejoice
in the WIFE(not wives) of your youth. 19 As a loving hind and a graceful doe, Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; Be exhilarated always with her love.

MALACHI 2:14
But you ask, "Why [aren't our offerings accepted]?" It is because the LORD is a witness between you and the WIFE (not wives) of your youth, to whom you have been unfaithful. Yet, she is your companion, the wife of your marriage vows.
Re: Question For Muslim by johntredon: 10:48am On Oct 02, 2016
ajiboye007:
in quran there is a place allah commended muslims on the number of wives they can marry .................
but muslim have beengoing around misinterpreting mis quoting the bible on issue of polygamy, they claim bible and God support polygamy..............

my question is, if God true support polygamy , it will be my pleasure if any muslim could show me where God in bible give commands on numbers of wives to be marry as suppose god of quran did ?

in the beginning God create one man and one woman clearly says one man one woman and the two become one .......if God want or support polygamy as muslim want us to believe, God would have lay the foundation by creating more than one woman for adam .

ITS A SERIOUS MATTER ...........
The only place I really see polygamy prohibited is in the requirements to be a bishop and a deacon where Paul mentions that to hold either office a man must only be married to one wife (1Tim. 3:1-12).

Here, Paul does not label polygamy as sinful but simply prohibits a polygamist from holding these two offices. Simple rational could account for the banning of polygamists from these offices, since a man with only one wife would be much more available to the responsibilities versus a man with more than one wife.

The fact that Paul did not make a general statement condemning polygamy tells me that it is allowed for others if they are not leaders in the Church or deacons (read verse 12):
12 Let deacons be the husband of one wife, and let them manage their children and their households well;

My question now is can you show me where in the Bible where God prohibits polygamy

1 Like

Re: Question For Muslim by ajiboye007(m): 11:04am On Oct 02, 2016
u said ........

My question now is can you show me where in the Bible where God prohibits polygamy

#RESPONSE

genesis 2:23-24
unless u want tag God as a lair ........

also

17 Let them be yours ALONE And not for strangers with you. 18 Let your fountain be blessed, And rejoice
in the WIFE(not wives) of your youth. 19 As a loving hind and a graceful doe, Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; Be exhilarated always with her love.

But you ask, "Why [aren't our offerings accepted]?" It is because the LORD is a witness between you and the WIFE (not wives) of your youth, to whom you have been unfaithful. Yet, she is your companion, the wife of your marriage vows.
Re: Question For Muslim by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 02, 2016
Mathew 19:8

New International Version
Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your
WIVES because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning

English Standard Version
He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your
WIVES, but from the beginning it was not so.

King James Bible
He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your
WIVES: but from the beginning it was not so.

International Standard Version
He told them, "It was because of your hardness of heart that Moses allowed you to divorce your
WIVES. But from the beginning it was not this way.

2 Likes

Re: Question For Muslim by ajiboye007(m): 11:13am On Oct 02, 2016
u said......

International Standard Version He told them, "It was because of your hardness of heart that Moses allowed you to divorce your
[color=red]WIVES[/color . But from the beginning it was not this way. ]

#RESPONSE

have addressed this pls scroll up and see my reponse .

jesus said it wasn't so from the beginning , jesus directly quote genesis 2:24, if so how many women God join with adam in this verse ?

i told u jesus use wives because he was addressing a group of pharisees and he reply to them i.e pharisees in pluralism as your wives .
Re: Question For Muslim by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 02, 2016
Waiting for Christian to Point out a single verse that Jesus says marry one wife in any version of the bible

Abraham become one with his first wife and so with his second wife. That is the meaning of the verse.

1 + 1 = can and will never be 1

The verse simply means you're one, meaning you have come together as husband and wife. No privacy between them, their flash is one.

2 Likes

Re: Question For Muslim by johntredon: 11:34am On Oct 02, 2016
M
ajiboye007:
u said ........

#RESPONSE

genesis 2:23-24
unless u want tag God as a lair ........

also

Show me direct verses where God prohibits polygamy

Beside, how can you suggest that the Bible prohibited polygamy when for instance

Deuteronomy 21:15 clearly states: "If a man has two wives , and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

And also Exodus 21:10 allows a man to marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can have.

Do Paul's 1 Timothy 3:2 and 1 Timothy 3:12 prove that polygamy is prohibited in the Bible?
Re: Question For Muslim by ajiboye007(m): 11:36am On Oct 02, 2016
u said .......

#RESPONSE

that is our own opinion not God ways, if God want man to have more than one wife he would have established in genesis 2. this was the same point jesus make, in the beginning it wasn't so , one man one woman. mathematics of in marriage and spiritual ream is different from what is been thought in schools. God 1+1 in marriage is 1.
Re: Question For Muslim by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 02, 2016
1 in Unity NOT 1 in number. God is logical not illogical. God is not the author of confusion.

1 Corinthians 14:33 King James Version (KJV) For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

No Verse In The Bible That says Marry Only One Wife. Impact The Bible Is Polygamous Book
as seen in the verses aforementioned

ajiboye007:
u said .......

#RESPONSE

that is our own opinion not God ways, if God want man to have more than one wife he would have established in genesis 2. this was the same point jesus make, in the beginning it wasn't so , one man one woman. mathematics of in marriage and spiritual ream is different from what is been thought in schools. God 1+1 in marriage is 1.

2 Likes

Re: Question For Muslim by ajiboye007(m): 11:49am On Oct 02, 2016
u said .....

Deuteronomy 21:15 clearly states: "If a man has two wives , and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

And also Exodus 21:10 allows a man to marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can have.

#RESPONSE

have addressed this before . God is addressing issues of polygamy among Israelite which they have been into before the law was given.

the more reason i ask u to give where God give numbers of wives to be married just like supposed god of Islam did .

have show what God said in genesis 2:24 ,but u think that is not ur business . i show u from PROVERBS 5:17-19 and MALACHI 2:14 those verses doesn't concern you, yet u are still asking me to show us where God prohibited polygamy! what do u make out of verses i have presented you ?
Re: Question For Muslim by aminusanti(m): 12:06pm On Oct 02, 2016
FriendChoice:
Qur’an is the only religious Scripture on the face of the earth, that says…Marry only one. No Scripture
says Marry only one, except the Holy Qur’an.

Nisa Ch. No. 4, V. No. 3, “ Marry woman of your choice, in twos, threes or fours. But if you cannot do justice, marry only one”

– Islam puts an upper limit.

_ In other ways of life, you can marry as many as you want – no upper limit.

Islam puts on upper limit, of maximum four. But you can marry, only if you can do justice. If you can’t do justice, marry only one.

And the Qur’an says in Surah Nisa, Ch. No. 4, V. No. 129, that… “If It is difficulty to do justice between your wives. So don’t altogether turn away from them”.

Bible

Before I present the verses from the New Testament that allow polygamy, I first would like to prove to you that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the laws of the Old Testament, and did order his followers (the Christians as we call them) to follow the laws of the Old Testament:

Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) "

Some Christians Not all always say as an excuse "Oh this law doesn't exist in the New Testament, it is only the Old Testament." Well, according to Matthew 5:17-18 above, we clearly see that Jesus honored the Old Testament, and forces Christians to follow the unmodified laws of it that have not been replaced by newer ones in the New Testament. The Old Testament as we clearly see above does indeed allow polygamy without a shadow of a doubt !!. There is not a single verse from the New Testament that prohibits polygamy.

Some Christian Believe In The Old Testament But I Don't Know If @OP does

[b]Matthew 19:1-12

"1. When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2. Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3. Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason? " 4. "Haven't you read," he (Jesus) replied, "that at the beginning the Creator `made them male and female ,'

7. "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?" 8. Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

9. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery." 10. The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."

11. Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." [/b]

In the above verses, we see that Jesus was approached with a question about whether or not it is allowed for a man to divorce his wife in Matthew 19:3 . Jesus immediately referred to the Old Testament for the answer in Matthew 19:4 . He referred to Adam and Eve, one man and one woman. The Old Testament does talk about the story of Adam and Eve as one husband and one wife. However, the Old Testament which Jesus had referred to in Matthew 19:3 does allow polygamy.

Also, when a man becomes a one flesh with his wife in Matthew 19:5-6 , this doesn't mean that the man can't be one flesh with another woman. He can be one flesh with his first wife, and one flesh with his second wife, and one flesh with his third wife and so on

Wow! Nice 1 bro... you have said it all. Jazakallah khair

1 Like

Re: Question For Muslim by johntredon: 2:00pm On Oct 02, 2016
ajiboye007:
u said .....

#RESPONSE

have addressed this before . God is addressing issues of polygamy among Israelite which they have been into before the law was given.

[[this is where you shoot yourself, when Jesus said he comes to follow the law of Israelite Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) "

and also he said: He [Jesus] answered, ' I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel. 'Matthew 15:22-28)]
ajiboye007:
u said .....

#RESPONSE

[this is where you shoot yourself, when Jesus said he comes to follow the law of Israelite Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) "

and also he said: He [Jesus] answered, ' I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel. 'Matthew 15:22-28)
ajiboye007:
u said .....

#RESPONSE

have show what God said in genesis 2:24 ,but u think that is not ur business . i show u from PROVERBS 5:17-19 and MALACHI 2:14 those verses doesn't concern you, yet u are still asking me to show us where God prohibited polygamy! what do u make out of verses i have presented you ?
those verses were not prohibited polygamy

1 Like

Re: Question For Muslim by ajiboye007(m): 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2016
u said......

....those verses are not prohibit polygamy

#RESPONSE

those verses is about what PROVERBS 5: 17-19, MALACHI 2:14 ?

u said .....

[[this is where you shoot yourself, when Jesus said he comes to follow the law of Israelite Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) "

#RESPONSE

the more reason have been asking u to show us this law ........

maybe u think everything that were in writing in bible are laws ? ......lol

the only law about number of wife to be married is what jesus quote to the pharisees,referring them to beginning genesis 2:24.

if there is any law God command polygamy pls show us .

also i need to knock u out finally........

DEUTERONOMY 17:17

The king must not take many wives for himself, because they will turn his heart away from the LORD. And he must not accumulate large amounts of wealth in silver and gold for himself.

every example u have presents to support polygamy are about kings ,and the verse i posted above clearly says God commands Kings not to have wives.

(1) (Reply)

Why Muslims Are Leaving Islam: Must Watch Video. / Nigerians Are Now Over Doing It! See What Someone Said About TB Joshua [photo] / Should Christians Go On A Pilgrimage To Jerusalem?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.