Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,790 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not (5240 Views)

Pls Whats The Best Computer Professional Course To Do . ORACLE OR CISCO. / Team Humane App For The Blind Wins Microsoft Imagine Cup Nigeria 2016 / Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by larisoft: 9:50pm On Oct 01, 2016
What's hot, what's not series: languages:

This piece examines what’s reigning and what’s not for programming languages in Nigeria.

WHATS HOT

PHP: Hate or love it, PHP dominates Nigeria's programming scene. There are several reasons why this is so. One is the fact that PHP hosting is very cheap. With 3500 naira, you can host two PHP websites.
Another reason PHP reigns supreme, is the fact that the most popular content management systems e.g (WordPress, joomla majento) , used in Nigeria run on PHP. Finally, PHP is easy to learn. The Nigerian programming scene is filled with people who have very little time to learn, and yet; urgent money-needs. Hence, many Nigerian programmers start with it as a first language, and stick with it since it works.

Javascript :

Javascript is not just hot, it's on fire! Not only is javascript the undisputed king of the Web, it is fast expanding its Kingdom to previously untouchable platforms like servers, and mobile phones! Javascript is the language of mobile app frameworks like phone gap. Javascript is even used for unity game development. Javascript is the language of nodejs, angular js, ember js, and these frameworks are disrupting the Nigerian tech scene.

Apart from what javascript is already doing, it's clear that many frameworks yet to be released ll still be implemented in javascript since it's already so popular.

Javascript is so hot in the Nigerian tech scene that any programmer who refuses to learn it is seriously missing out

C#:
Gradually, c# has grown to become the dominant language of. Net (it used to be vb) . C# is also the default language for game programming (used to be c++) .

Also, c# is your best option for creating Windows desktop apps. It is also the language of xamarin which is the future of mobile app development.
The reason c# is boiling is that the language has so many frameworks and libraries that all you need to work with this language sometimes is forget coding and get a relevant degree. You ll learn the language within months after you've been employed for your degree. Also, the language has a ‘c’ in it. This means that even though its not nearly as hard as c, or c++, you almost always get the same ‘efizy’ ascribed to programmers of these other ‘fiendishly difficult’ languages.

Java SE: this is mainly for Android programming otherwise, Java is not so hot anymore. It's estimated that 70 % Nigerian smart phone users are on android so, anyone who intends to program for Nigerian Mobile phone users will sooner or later resort to java.

WHATS NOT

Java EE:
Knowing Java EE could be the distinguishing feature between a newbie and a pro, but the truth is that the demand for this skillset is shrinking. Few firms seek professionals in this segment these days and most of the projects that could be implemented satisfactorily in JAVA enterprise are now being implemented in C#. Net.

Visual basic: This is a classic case of the ‘efizy’ that characterizes the lifestyle of Nigerian programmers. There is no other reason visual basic is falling in popularity aside from the fact that it just doesn’t seem cool- not when it is rumored to be as easy as writing English Language and has a ‘basic’ in its name. Tech-savvy clients seem to have reservations about programmers that suggest to implement their projects in visual basic. And programmers tend to look down on visual basic programmers.

The guys who named this language really screwed up the language with that ‘basic’ in it.

C++:

who would have thought that c++ would eventually start fading? C++ was on fire when Symbian phones were in vogue. C++ used to be the only option for game programming, graphics simulation, and pretty much everything else that required acute optimization.

But today, a lot of factors are working furiously against this language, so much so that not only is the demand for it shrinking…but its also losing platforms on which it is relevant and will soon become a language reserved for extreme professionals in the trade.

One of these factors is the rise of the web and how every application written today aims to serve the 1billion+ users depending solely on their web browser for software. Now, its not that c++ cannot be used to make web applications, but your regular hosting company usually doesn’t have provision for that. And no; your regular programmer wouldn’t have the skill set to maintain that server either.

Another such factor is the decline of the Symbian platform: qt c++ used to be suuuper hot. Now, java android is the new black and ‘no one’ codes for Symbian anymore. Too bad for c++.

As if these are not enough, the introduction of unity game development engine which relies on c# and javascript issued yet another strong blow to c++’s market share. Unity Engine is awesome. With it, you can make awesome games and not know math. The company behind unity has a lot of money to throw around and they are winning hundreds of developers over to their platform each year, who would have otherwise relied on c++ for their game programming. Again: too bad for c++.

Please note that this is just an overview of whats trending and whats not in Nigeria; and is in no way to be interpreted as meaning that one language is superior to the other.

Did I miss a programming language that you consider hot? Please say so in the comment section

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by kingofthejungle(m): 10:20pm On Oct 01, 2016
nice post
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 10:24pm On Oct 01, 2016
Useless thread.

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Coyotejack(m): 10:59pm On Oct 01, 2016
JavaScript is in fire ooooo even with node.js now in play the server side of js. This makes js more and more beautiful
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 01, 2016
I completely agree with you that what is leading in Nigeria at the moment is: PHP, javaScript and C#.
But, you should not underestimate the power VB.NET - because it is quite powerful, and you can write VB.NET with C#. Unless your post is talking about Visual Basic 6 (which though is outdated, but some enterprise class applications especially in some certain industries like banks are still powered by visual basic 6 but even this is fading sha).
Now, you should also note that mobile application development is on fire too - this year for example, the ratio of PHP apps that i have done to mobile apps is like 10:2. Fact is, 90% of my time in the past 2 years have been mainly mobile apps (especially native android/ios), and fewer of web apps.
At this point, i rest my case. . . . .where is seunthomas, i know he will have contrary views to all this. . . .as the great great professor.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nero2009(m): 1:45am On Oct 02, 2016
What of python

4 Likes

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 5:58am On Oct 02, 2016
Nothing can be farther from the truth! If you are into financial (banking app development), then J2EE is your best friend.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by larisoft: 6:02am On Oct 02, 2016
dhtml18:
I completely agree with you that what is leading in Nigeria at the moment is: PHP, javaScript and C#.
But, you should not underestimate the power VB.NET - because it is quite powerful, and you can write VB.NET with C#. Unless your post is talking about Visual Basic 6 (which though is outdated, but some enterprise class applications especially in some certain industries like banks are still powered by visual basic 6 but even this is fading sha).
Now, you should also note that mobile application development is on fire too - this year for example, the ratio of PHP apps that i have done to mobile apps is like 10:2. Fact is, 90% of my time in the past 2 years have been mainly mobile apps (especially native android/ios), and fewer of web apps.
At this point, i rest my case. . . . .where is seunthomas, i know he will have contrary views to all this. . . .as the great great professor.

I think we completely agree with each other. I mentioned JAVA SE and observed that it's relevance for now, is tied to android development.

As for VB.NEt, i think the language is powerful and using the .net's common language runtime, its as good as C# (for .net programming oh). But I still think the langauge is dwindling in popularity in these climes (not in functionality).

Thanks for your input, bro.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
^^^You are correct
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Codenister: 6:20pm On Oct 02, 2016
Woops!!! This is one comprehensive write up.
You have hit the head on the nail grin grin

JavaScript is really on fire, not just in Nigeria, even all over the world
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by BlueMagnificent(m): 8:24pm On Oct 02, 2016
I completely disagree with you on C++ most especially in terms of gaming, graphics and simulation. Unity is just one out of thousands of game engines and the majority of them are C++. If u talk about graphics then no other language comes close.
The all popular node.js that's giving JavaScript it's moment of fame it's a C++ product.

Well if u are solely talking about Nigeria then ur point might fairly be considered but is still error prone. C++ is far from fading.

There are two types of developers 1) users of technology and 2) developers of technology. The languages you know determines the category you fall into . Lately there has been more users of technology than developers of technology , hence some languages "seem" more popular grin

3 Likes

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 02, 2016
Yes, C++ can never be outdated

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by logicalhumour: 11:21pm On Oct 02, 2016
Nero2009:
What of python
I tire for OP sef... shar, maybe python is in the middle, but he shudder have talked of Rails tho

2 Likes

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 4:32am On Oct 03, 2016
I agree with Op because he said in Nigeria.
High languages like c++ and python are useless here
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 03, 2016
Badyear:
In Nigeria, this is also very true. It is not that C++ and Python are not powerful languages mind you, but in Nigeria, they are not in high-demand.
C# and PHP are more profitable to learn than those 2. Truth is bitter, I know some people will not like to hear stuffs like this sha.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by kingofthejungle(m): 7:45am On Oct 03, 2016
just wondering is asp.net the reason why c# is profitable here
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 7:52am On Oct 03, 2016
dhtml18:

In Nigeria, this is also very true. It is not that C++ and Python are not powerful languages mind you, but in Nigeria, they are not in high-demand.
C# and PHP are more profitable to learn than those 2. Truth is bitter, I know some people will not like to hear stuffs like this sha.

Java EE is pretty much profitable in Nigeria. Most be IT firms are still using it.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by larisoft: 8:34am On Oct 03, 2016
Thanks so much for contributing guys. I hope that all the newbies that are wondering what langauge to start with and earn big bucks fast, will know 'whatsup' after reading this thread.

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 03, 2016
FrankLampard:

Java EE is pretty much profitable in Nigeria. Most be IT firms are still using it.
Really? well, I am just hearing that one now. Well, I cant be everywhere so I cannot really say sha. But in my world as a freelancer for 10 years+, I have not for once gotten a JAVA EE request. For now, I know that most of the JAVA request at the moment is ANDROID RELATED.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 10:02am On Oct 03, 2016
dhtml18:

Really? well, I am just hearing that one now. Well, I cant be everywhere so I cannot really say sha. But in my world as a freelancer for 10 years+, I have not for once gotten a JAVA EE request. For now, I know that most of the JAVA request at the moment is ANDROID RELATED.

I know for sure that Interswitch and some other payment coy uses Java EE
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 03, 2016
FrankLampard:

I know for sure that Interswitch and some other payment coy uses Java EE
Finacle used by most banks uses Java EE.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 03, 2016
Okay, this is very good - thanks Johnpaul and FrankLampard, so we should add JAVA EE to the list then - because we are looking at stuffs that are useful in Nigeria.
This is a very constructive thread because people are contributing their experiences together for the betterment of everyone (instead of someone just running his mouth in a recursive loop).

I hope some TROLLS are taking note sha, because I am taking down notes here. Because next thing now, someone will create a post that JAVA EE is dead - and when we start flogging that person now, them go talk say we wicked.

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by talk2hb1(m): 2:11pm On Oct 03, 2016
Java EE job is still floating around, most especially if you can do Spring Framework with it.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Raypawer(m): 2:54pm On Oct 03, 2016
its Not so!
C# has taken over, even on ATM machines

Johnpaul88:
Nothing can be farther from the truth! If you are into financial (banking app development), then J2EE is your best friend.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Raypawer(m): 2:57pm On Oct 03, 2016
No, ASP.NET MVC! esp v5 nd v6

kingofthejungle:
just wondering is asp.net the reason why c# is profitable here
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 3:21pm On Oct 03, 2016
Raypawer:
its Not so!
C# has taken over, even on ATM machines

This is just mere statement, give us facts.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 03, 2016
Which is which: C# in banking or JAVA EE? This is fast turning into a debate. Draws my chair closer to the thread.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 03, 2016
dhtml18:
Which is which: C# in banking or JAVA EE? This is fast turning into a debate. Draws my chair closer to the thread.
Finacle used by banks like first bank, UBA, Heritage, FCMB etc is made up of three tiers. Front end tier is written with JSP and Javascript, middle tier (web tier) is Java. The backend runs Unix with some C#.
Maybe he's talking about another technology used by other banks but Finacle is widely used.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by seunthomas: 6:26pm On Oct 03, 2016
This list does not do justice at all.

From my own experience, amongst enterprise users(banks,telecom,etc), Java and .NET are still the most prominent languages.

I dont even think they adopt stuff like nodejs.

Startup and other new vertical companies can play around with nodejs,etc but enterprise users will always go for those stack that have been tested time and time again.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 03, 2016
^^^I knew the dude above me was going to have a different idea

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 7:10pm On Oct 03, 2016
seunthomas:
This list does not do justice at all.

From my own experience, amongst enterprise users(banks,telecom,etc), Java and .NET are still the most prominent languages.

I dont even think they adopt stuff like nodejs.

Startup and other new vertical companies can play around with nodejs,etc but enterprise users will always go for those stack that have been tested time and time again.

Even though I'm not too experienced in using most programming languages. I feel framework like NodeJS, even PHP and Python should not be taken seriously for enterprise kind of apps, because of their 100% open source nature. But Java and C# though is open source is till the best for Enterprise stuff because it is only been maintained by the companies that owns it.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by zzzzy: 7:40pm On Oct 03, 2016
Badyear:
Not disagreeing with what you said, since the mentioned ng.
But that's one of the problem in Nigeria, we lack innovation and creativity, outside, these languages are very important languages. But the way our economy is sef, you'd have to ignore that and go for what brings in money, in Nigeria it's more of money>passion while outside, it's passion first. We rather get a job than create a job. (and yeah, I know it's not everyone )

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Are A Developer, Take This Survey And Win $1000(New Survey ) / Let's Be Honest Php Sucks When Building Enterprise Applications / Building A Word Scramble Game With Javascript (text Based)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.