Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,120 members, 7,821,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

MEND Say No More Ceasefire: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MEND Say No More Ceasefire: (4236 Views)

FG Should Listen To The Ceasefire Call By BOKO HARAM - Lai Mohammed / B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G News!!!fleeing Boko Haram Calls For Ceasefire. / MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by ayoola22: 7:07am On Oct 16, 2009
Nigeria militants end ceasefire

A hardline faction in Nigeria's main armed group says it is ending a three-month ceasefire and will resume attacks on the oil industry.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) had called the truce in the wake of an amnesty offer from the president.

Most Mend commanders and thousands of militants have disarmed under the deal.

Correspondents say the splinter group is tiny and is believed to be led by Henry Okah.

It says the Nigerian government has done nothing to address the underlying problems in the Niger Delta.

"The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta resumes its hostilities against the Nigerian oil industry, the Nigerian armed forces and its collaborators with effect from 0000 hours Friday, Oct. 16," the group said in an e-mailed statement.

Mend declared the 60-day ceasefire on 15 July to allow for peace talks shortly after Mr Okah was freed from prison.

It extended the ceasefire by a month in mid-September despite not having held any formal discussions with the government.

Last week, the authorities in Nigeria said as many as 15,000 oil militants active in the delta had surrendered under the two-month amnesty, which expired on 4 October.

The BBC's Caroline Duffield in Nigeria says the splinter group has called the disarmament ceremonies staged displays and vowed that they will not give up violence.

Militant groups have flourished in the delta amid a lack of governance and rule of law.

They claim to be fighting to help local people benefit from the region's oil wealth but fund their activities with oil theft, extortion and kidnapping.

Attacks on oil installations and their employees have cut Nigeria's output by a third in the past three years and helped raise oil prices.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8309980.stm

Pls help us beg Henry Okah and gbomo oooooooooooooo
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 16, 2009
Where is Ibime?
We need the real situation report right now!
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by bibiking1(m): 7:43am On Oct 16, 2009
MEND really beats me! What exactly do they want? Is it bribing? What is their idea of Federalism under the Nigerian context?
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by blackspade(m): 7:44am On Oct 16, 2009
So their true colors are finally showing. . . . . .
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by babapupa: 8:15am On Oct 16, 2009

A rare breed of governor.

Babatunde Raji Fashola.

[b]
[b]Q: Let's move on to national questions. Lagos was attacked by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) [/b]weeks after President Yar'Adua offered the Niger Delta militants an amnesty in June. Several legal experts have questioned the validity of Yar'Adua's offer. As a senior lawyer yourself, do you share their concerns?

A: I have to say that the burden of leadership is not a light one. My sense of it is to say that there is a genuine intention to find peace. In looking for peace, there is a willingness to try whatever method that will work. 1 genuinely and truly hope that it works. I say this because I have too much at stake in this country. It is a matter of personal pride, as I decided to remain in this country after graduating nearly 20 years ago, while my mates were leaving this country. I believe this country can and will work, and anything that has the capacity to bring peace and the development of the people of the Niger Delta, I would encourage us to try. It is not for me at this point to say whether issues of process have been followed. If we look at process, then there are a lot of things that we probably won't do.

Q: But for there to be a negotiated settlement, the parties must be able to trust one another to honour any agreement they mutually enter into. How can this happen when both the militants and the people of the Niger Delta have very little trust in the government keeping its word?

A: We should not dwell too much on trust or the lack of it. It would needlessly fester a gaping wound. Whether you trust or don't trust, the way to go about resolving the problem is by dealing with the issues. To develop the Niger Delta, both sides must reappraise their positions. If people say they want development and the government is prepared to carry out development projects, the officials to carry out these projects need to be given access to the area, if development is what the people want.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

Q: But don't you think that the onus is on the federal government to prove that it is really serious about resolving this problem, after the people of the Niger Delta have been given false promises and disappointed time and time again?

A: But the problem did not start today. It has been there for three or four decades. The point I am making here is that there has to be a level of restraint if there is going to be progress. No development will take place in an atmosphere of crisis. It is a chicken and egg thing. You want development, but it can't be done in a crisis. When the government comes into the area with experts, so that they can draw up a plan to tackle various issues, they must also be allowed to come up with a timetable within which to deal with these issues. But can the issues of the Niger Delta be tackled if the oil pipelines are not running and the country has no income?

Q: Do you think that an end to the Niger Delta problem is in sight?

A: I am an optimist and I remain willing to participate in any process that will bring about peace. The history of human civilisation shows that no one really benefits from a crisis. When a crisis ends, when all of the energies are spent and burnt, a new period of redevelopment will start. I believe all the stakeholders are aware of the potential consequences of postponing or delaying the resolution of this crisis.[/b]

www.thefreelibrary.com/A">http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:LEaF2aB7Eg4J:www.thefreelibrary.com/A%2Brare%2Bbreed%2Bof%2Bgovernor.-a0206404344+fund+lekki+airport&cd=16&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by temmytanny(m): 12:16pm On Oct 16, 2009
this sound funny but BET me,

MEND Would be crushed this time around because they dont have much fighters again and no one is planing to join them.
henry okah and jomo gbomo dont want to stop this their arm smuggling.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by redsun(m): 12:19pm On Oct 16, 2009
They probably have ran out of cash,they seem just as dumb and visionless as the people they are fighting.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by princekevo(m): 12:20pm On Oct 16, 2009
Who didn't know this was gonna happen? You can never mend a problem, you solve them. Even a 5 year old kid in Nigeria knows the solution to this problem, but the stupid and greedy politicians we have wouldn't accept the solution jst becoz some people think is not at their benefits applying the solution.
Amnesty was never what Nigerians or ND needed, but Justices.
This will continue as long as we don't apply the right solution the problem.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by chosen04(f): 12:40pm On Oct 16, 2009
temmytanny:

this sound funny but BET me,

MEND Would be crushed this time around because they dont have much fighters again and no one is planing to join them.
henry okah and jomo gbomo dont want to stop this their arm smuggling.

Let the fight begin. I love and pray for MEND to help the Niger Deltans & others mend their enemity with the federal govt. If not for the innocent women and children that will die. Nigeria Army cant defeat Mend.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by iammodel(m): 12:51pm On Oct 16, 2009
MEND is heading for a lost battle. it would have been better if they surrender their arms for the sake of amnesty so it can be accorded to them than fighting a battle they know they eventually going to lost, cos most of its members have surrendered.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by temmytanny(m): 12:54pm On Oct 16, 2009
chosen04:

Let the fight begin. I love and pray for MEND to help the Niger Deltans & others mend their enemity with the federal govt. If not for the innocent women and children that will die. Nigeria Army cant defeat Mend.

its not that i hate MEND but they have deviated from the original course.govt gave them 60days to negotiate,they never did until just 10days to end the amnesty offer they started clamouring for AARON team.

now tell me if that doesnt have a question mark.

like i said before OKAH and GBOMO dont want to stop cos of their arm smuggling runs.have u forgotten its a BIG international bussiness?

i_am_model:

MEND is heading for a lost battle. it would have been better if they surrender their arms for the sake of amnesty so it can be accorded to them than fighting a battle they know they eventually going to lost, cos most of its members have surrendered.

thank you mr brother

do u think all the fighters actaully dropped all their weapons?far from it bro,they just dropped 50% of it hoping that if the amnesty fail,they would go back.why cannt MEND do that?

there would soon be disaccord amongst them soon cos i know not all the present MEND members surpport the continued struggle
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Beaf: 12:58pm On Oct 16, 2009
There is nothing inherently wrong with one Nigeria.

But there is everything wrong with one Nigeria when large tracts of the Southern population are feeling increasing alienated and marginalised.
The ND problem revolves around our federal structure. Rather than discuss the ND problem with MEND, who have gotten together a team of World class representatives (including Akhigbe and Soyinka), the FG has gone down the wrong path of threats, bribery (amnesty) and false propaganda.
We are told to blame our "leaders", as if we even know how FG implants like Ibori ever became our "leaders" (someone please tell me when we "voted" fairly). Aside from MEND and its ethnic affiliates, the ND has no voice.

We all love the idealistic one Nigeria concept, but very man, woman and child from the ND is deeply upset and there is no outlet. The Nigerian mentality is to push the smaller guy about, but anybody who knows the ND knows that folk here simply don't get pushed about; unlike in some regions, you can't threaten someone "I will slap you" if you aren't immediately ready and capable of carrying it out; we just don't think in that way and that is where the rest of the country gets this crisis so wrong. We are really tired and pushed to the wall. All the while, our people are killed like mere cockroaches by those who claim to be "fellow Nigerians", all for oil that does not serve either Nigeria or the ND; it is all stolen by ex-generals and the ruling class.

The way things are going, at some point the ND will form an army; it is beginning to look more definite with each passing day. All that needs doing, is stop Warri and PH functioning and the country will cease to function; then you can say bye bye to Nigeria.

The clock is ticking.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by princeomoh(m): 1:04pm On Oct 16, 2009
As much as the Nigerian Govt has failed everybody, and we all know that and are suffering from it, theses militants are fighting for themselves, certainly not for the interest of Nigeria, they are just criminals who steal, kidnap and kill for their selfish interest. The poor Niger Delta people don't even have arms and don't enjoy from these militant's exploits. they're criminals that should be treated accordingly. Unfortunate, the Nigerina Army itself and the whole security outfits are not upto the task, they have shown they can not even contain rebels in their own country, they keep complainig about the creek, don't we have navy, were they not trained in these same areas? They shld be ashamed of themselves. I was surprised at the size of armoury displayed by millitants in the "so called amnesty deal", may God save Nigeria, that's all I can say.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Ibime(m): 1:09pm On Oct 16, 2009
MEND never accepted amnesty so why are people shocked?

Have the underlying issues been addressed?
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by unfaded(m): 1:14pm On Oct 16, 2009
I love jomo gbomo, the guy's is very sharp-the guy is probably a NLander hiding behind his pc.i tot okah had kidney problem?
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by 12840: 1:31pm On Oct 16, 2009
Haven't u ever thought of why mend never took the amnesty offer?
What if the Federal Government does not move the process beyond disarmament?
Mend is a check.
Mend is probably not really interested in war but needs to keep govt on its toes.
Lets pray govt will be responsible so this peace can continue.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by chosen04(f): 1:48pm On Oct 16, 2009
unfaded:

I love jomo gbomo, the guy's is very sharp-the guy is probably a NLander hiding behind his pc.i tot okah had kidney problem?

@Unfaded,
Am beginning to believe you are Jomo Gbomo! lol. U mean you dont know that ur leader(Okah) is in south Africa receiving treatment for his Kidney probs. Okah WAS FORCED to accept Amnesty,thus he is longer playing active roll ine the struggle. But unfortunately/fortunately he was able to train a good number of capable Lietenants who are equal to the task.

With or without Okah the struggle had continued even at a greater alarming rate. Kudos to the guy. But lets face the facts most members of MEND didnt accept amnesty. Infact MEND actually advised all her commanders that their Identity had been compromised to accept amnesty.

The main problem that the federal govt will have is that the govt will be fighting "UNKNOWN ENTITY". In other words, govt may be discusing/meeting on how to fight MEND with MEND member. Govt really need to negotiate with this people "No man can ever win a fight with a ghost"
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by sayso: 1:56pm On Oct 16, 2009
MEND will end up destroying the people OF Niger Delta,another ODI is on the way or give peace a chance.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Oluschenco(m): 2:10pm On Oct 16, 2009
If they can do according to their words, then it worths praising the Lord
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by ketsho: 2:20pm On Oct 16, 2009
chosen04:

@Unfaded,
Am beginning to believe you are Jomo Gbomo! lol. U mean you dont know that your leader(Okah) is in south Africa receiving treatment for his Kidney probs. Okah WAS FORCED to accept Amnesty,thus he is longer playing active roll ine the struggle. But unfortunately/fortunately he was able to train a good number of capable Lietenants who are equal to the task.

With or without Okah the struggle had continued even at a greater alarming rate. Kudos to the guy. But lets face the facts most members of MEND didnt accept amnesty. Infact MEND actually advised all her commanders that their Identity had been compromised to accept amnesty.

The main problem that the federal govt will have is that the govt will be fighting "UNKNOWN ENTITY". In other words, govt may be discusing/meeting on how to fight MEND with MEND member. Govt really need to negotiate with this people "No man can ever win a fight with a ghost"
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Bariga1(f): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2009
Hello Beaf,

Well said but we are all missing “the vital point” and chasing shadow.

Every local government has a chairman and there are loads of councillors for every district in ND. How many times have you or any member of your family asked questions about how money given to them from the federal government is spent?

With the current state of affairs in ND even if royalties of 99.9999% are given to the government, it will not impact on the life of the common man or bring about development.

One word of advice: let us stop writing big English and ask our local political leaders more questions about how money given to them is spent.

No-one physically came to plant Ibori as governor, rather it was your greedy leaders and traditional rulers who have sold their birthright for a mess of potage and will do anything to make money that planted him.

A house divided against it-self will never stand. The change needs to start from within ND. MEND have no right to say they are fighting for the masses.

Educate your immediate family, extended family and friends about the meaning of accountability from local leaders and the impact this can bring towards development is unimaginable. Also you have done your contribution for your country.

The people who should be reading this do not even have light to read it. So what is the point

More action and less talk!!!!

Where are the elders in ND??
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by winta2007(m): 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2009
ok
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 16, 2009
sayso:

MEND will end up destroying the people OF Niger Delta,another ODI is on the way or give peace a chance.

Look at what a supposedly Nigerian wrote. He wants to turn ND into another Odi cos of a faceless MEND?

Bastard! angry
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Beaf: 2:45pm On Oct 16, 2009
Bariga1:

Hello Beaf,

Well said but we are all missing “the vital point” and chasing shadow.

Every local government has a chairman and there are loads of councillors for every district in ND. How many times have you or any member of your family asked questions about how money given to them from the federal government is spent?

With the current state of affairs in ND even if royalties of 99.9999% are given to the government, it will not impact on the life of the common man or bring about development.

One word of advice: let us stop writing big English and ask our local political leaders more questions about how money given to them is spent.

No-one physically came to plant Ibori as governor, rather it was your greedy leaders and traditional rulers who have sold their birthright for a mess of potage and will do anything to make money that planted him.

A house divided against it-self will never stand. The change needs to start from within ND. MEND have no right to say they are fighting for the masses.

Educate your immediate family, extended family and friends about the meaning of accountability from local leaders and the impact this can bring towards development is unimaginable. Also you have done your contribution for your country.

The people who should be reading this do not even have light to read it. So what is the point

More action and less talk!!!!

Where are the elders in ND??

Abacha raised Ibori, not anybody from the ND. Take your head out of the sand, next thing, you'll be preaching about how the last elections were free and fair. Thats why the World is laughing at Nigeria.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Nezan(m): 2:49pm On Oct 16, 2009
sorry, am outta here . . . . angry
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by jayflex: 3:18pm On Oct 16, 2009
I have always supported any call for a fundamental change in the structure of Nigeria because it is about time. This country cannot truly make genuine progress if it continues being run like a unitary nation. True federalism is what will bring peace to naija, its so obvious but shameful that the punks in power dont want to let go of 100% control of all parts of the federation. They wont let go because of one factor = OIL!!!
MEND knows this and they want to make sure that everything related to exploitation of the oil is grounded.

What i find scary is that they waited till all the kidnappers, rapists, jobless youth and freelance thugs gave themselves up to get some amnesty goodies before restating their resolve. People should be wary of a more compact, assymetric and coordinated MEND this time around. I just pray the Govt maggots move positively before things get out of hand.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Bariga1(f): 3:37pm On Oct 16, 2009
Hello Beaf,

I think the problem here is so much anger in you and need someone to vent it at. I have now passed that stage in my struggle and have now decided to take the “bull by the horn”. I think it is a waist of time waiting for government to “wave the magic wonder”.  

Beaf, where is Abacha? And where is Ibori? Let us move-on and stop “throwing toys out of the pram”.

Elections were not free and fear, but do not forget the vital point: Abacha never came down to rig the elections in ND, someone on ground did his dirty work for him and nothing is said about that person(s), that person(s) live among your community, drive the best cars and they are worshipped by their neighbours b/c of greed.

I know if I ask you the allocation received by your local government you will go silent on me, you will not know and do not bother because you have no interest. Rather people will blame government.

Help your people in the little way you can: advice them to ask questions from their political leaders in the community abstain from greed and the future will be brighter for you and me.

Do you think that Mend is fighting for your future development or that of ND?

Youngman wakeup from your slumber and start being proactive by educating your family back home:  asking  questions is the key. That is the little you can do and it will go a long way.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Utaroz(m): 4:05pm On Oct 16, 2009
I'm sure MEND will remain the voice of the ND struggle for a long time. However, if they start bombing and blowing things up at this critical period, they may risk losing some good will; even in their home base.

Might be wiser to wait and see the action of this administration towards addressing the genuine grievances of the region. Except of course, if they represent the interest of those who reap from the sharpnels of chaos.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by emisun(m): 4:13pm On Oct 16, 2009
it is only a fool that would think the niger delta problem can be solved through dialogue.as we can recall through the bible,the authorities in heaven responded to the devil through violence by throwing him down.they didn't negotiate with him.people pls get this into your heads,u don't negotiate with evil.u only fight it.THE FG IS EVIL AND NEED TO BE FOUGHT WITH VIOLENCE!!!.I PRAY GOD STRENGTHENS MEND.ALUTA CONTINUES!!.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by emisun(m): 4:15pm On Oct 16, 2009
it is only a fool that would think the niger delta problem can be solved through dialogue.as we can recall through the bible,the authorities in heaven responded to the devil through violence by throwing him down.they didn't negotiate with him.people pls get this into your heads,u don't negotiate with evil.u only fight it.THE FG IS EVIL AND NEED TO BE FOUGHT WITH VIOLENCE!!!.I PRAY GOD STRENGTHENS MEND.ALUTA CONTINUES!!.
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by emisun(m): 4:20pm On Oct 16, 2009
Re: MEND Say No More Ceasefire: by Utaroz(m): 4:27pm On Oct 16, 2009
emisun:

it is only a fool that would think the niger delta problem can be solved through dialogue.as we can recall through the bible[i],the authorities in heaven responded to the devil through violence by throwing him down.they didn't negotiate with him.[/i]people pls get this into your heads,u don't negotiate with evil.u only fight it.THE FG IS EVIL AND NEED TO BE FOUGHT WITH VIOLENCE!!!.I PRAY GOD STRENGTHENS MEND.ALUTA CONTINUES!!.

Should highlighted be assumed to be an advise to the authorities in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Core Moments In Nigeria's History: Details Of G. Orkar's Coup / Muhammadu Buhari / Angry Voters Set Inec Office Ablaze In Kaduna!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.