Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,301 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi (1528 Views)

Who's The Greatest 'Miracle-Working' Televangelist?? / Man Gets Erection As Prophet Fufeyin "Performs Miracle" On Him / Nigerian Pastor Performs Miracle On The Street Of London (pics, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 03, 2016
This is arguably one of the greatest Miracles to ever happen on earth.
Allow me to share the story.

Tsutomu Yamaguchi was preparing to leave Hiroshima when the atomic bomb fell. The 29-year-old naval engineer was ona three-month-long business trip for his employer, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and August 6, 1945, was supposed to be his last day in the city. He and his colleagues had spent the summer workinglong hours on the design for a new oil tanker, and he was looking forward to finally returning home to his wife, Hisako, and their infant son, Katsutoshi.Around 8:15 that morning, Yamaguchi waswalking to Mitsubishi’s shipyard a final time when he heard the drone of an aircraft overhead. Looking skyward, he saw an American B-29 bomber soar over the city and drop a small object connectedto a parachute. Suddenly, the sky erupted in a blaze of light, which Yamaguchi later described as resembling the “the lightning of a huge magnesium flare.” He had just enough time to dive into a ditch before an ear-splitting boom rang out. The shock wave that accompanied it sucked Yamaguchi from the ground, spun him in the air like a tornado and sent him hurtling into a nearby potato patch. He’d been less than two miles from ground zero.Hiroshima reduced to rubble and ruins by the atomic bomb. (Credit: Photo12/UIG via Getty Images)“I didn’t know what had happened,” he later told the British newspaper The Times. “I think I fainted for a while. When I opened my eyes, everything was dark, and I couldn’t see much. It was like the start of a film at the cinema, before the picture hasbegun when the blank frames are just flashing up without any sound.” The atomic blast had kicked up enough dust and debris to nearly blot out the morning sun. Yamaguchi was surrounded by torrents of falling ash, and he could see a mushroom cloud of fire rising in the sky over Hiroshima. His face and forearms had been badly burned, and both his eardrums were ruptured.Yamaguchi wandered in a daze toward what remained of the Mitsubishi shipyard. There, he found his coworkers Akira Iwanaga and Kuniyoshi Sato, both of whom had survived the blast. After spending a restless night in an air raid shelter, the men awoke on August 7 and made their way toward the train station, which they had heard was somehow still operating. The journey took them through a nightmarish landscape of still-flickering fires, shattered buildings and charred and melted corpses lining the streets. Many of the city’s bridges had been turned into twisted wreckage, and at one river crossing, Yamaguchi was forced to swim through a layer of floating dead bodies. Upon reaching the station, he boarded a train full of burned and bewildered passengers and settled in for the overnight ride to his hometown of Nagasaki.While Yamaguchi returned to his wife and child, the whole world turned its attention toward Hiroshima. Sixteen hours after the explosion, President Harry Truman gave a speech that revealed the existence of the atom bomb for the first time. “It is a harnessing of the basic power of the universe,” he said. “The force from which the sun draws its power has been loosed against those who brought war to the Far East.” A B-29 bomber called the “Enola Gay” had taken off from the Pacific island of Tinian and flown some 1,500 miles before detonating a bomb known as “LittleBoy” in the skies over Hiroshima. The blasthad immediately killed some 80,000 people, and tens of thousands more wouldperish in the weeks that followed. Truman warned in his statement that if Japan did not surrender, it could expect “a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth.”Yamaguchi arrived in Nagasaki early in themorning on August 8 and limped to the hospital. The doctor who treated him was a former school classmate, but the blackened burns on Yamaguchi’s hands and face were so severe that the man didn’t recognize him at first. Neither did his family. When he returned home afterwards, feverish and swaddled in bandages, his mother accused him of being a ghost.Mushroom cloud over Nagaski.Despitebeing on the verge of collapse, Yamaguchi dragged himself out of bed on the morning of August 9 and reported for work at Mitsubishi’s Nagasaki office. Around 11 a.m., he found himself in a meeting with a company director who demanded a full report on Hiroshima. The engineer recounted the scattered events of August 6—the blinding light, the deafening boom—but his superior accused him of being mad. How could a single bomb destroy an entire city? Yamaguchi was trying to explain himself when the landscape outside suddenly exploded withanother iridescent white flash. Yamaguchidropped to the ground just seconds before the shock wave shattered the office windows and sent broken glass and debris careening through the room. “I thought the mushroom cloud had followedme from Hiroshima,” he later told the newspaper The Independent.The atom bomb that hit Nagasaki was even more powerful than the one dropped on Hiroshima, but as Yamaguchi would later learn, the city’s hilly landscape and a reinforced stairwell had combined to muffle the blast inside the office. His bandages were blown off, and he was hit by yet another surge of cancer-causing radiation, but he emerged relatively unhurt. For the second time in three days, he’d had the misfortune of being within two miles of a nuclear explosion. For the second time, he’d been fortunate enough to survive.After fleeing from the skeleton of the Mitsubishi building, Yamaguchi rushed through a bomb-ravaged Nagasaki to check on his wife and son. He feared the worst when he saw that a section of his house had been reduced to rubble, but he soon found that both had sustained only superficial injuries. His wife had been out looking for burn ointment for her husband, and when the explosion came, she and thebaby had taken refuge in a tunnel. It was yet another strange twist of fate. If Yamaguchi hadn’t been hurt at Hiroshima, his family might have been killed at Nagasaki.Aftermath of the bomb in Nagaski. (Credit: Photo12/UIG via Getty Images)In the days the followed, Yamaguchi’s double-dose of radiation took its toll. His hair fell out, the wounds on his arms turned gangrenous, and he began vomiting incessantly. He was still languishing in a bomb shelter with his family on August 15, when Japan’s Emperor Hirohito announced the country’ssurrender in a radio broadcast. “I had no feeling about it,” Yamaguchi later told The Times. “I was neither sorry nor glad. I was seriously ill with a fever, eating almost nothing, hardly even drinking. I thought that I was about to cross to the other side.”Yet unlike so many victims of radiation exposure, Yamaguchi slowly recovered and went on to live a relatively normal life. He served as a translator for the U.S. armed forces during their occupation of Japan, and later taught school before resuming his engineering career at Mitsubishi. He and his wife even had two more children in the 1950s, both of them girls. Yamaguchi dealt with the horrific memories of Hiroshima and Nagasaki by writing poetry, but he avoided discussing his experiences publically until the 2000s, when he released a memoir and became part of the anti-atomic weapons movement. He later journeyed to New York in 2006 and spoke about nuclear disarmament before the United Nations. “Having experienced atomic bombings twice and survived, it is my destiny to talk about it,” he said in his speech.Tsutomu Yamaguchi wasn’t the only person to endure two atomic blasts. His coworkers Akira Iwanaga and Kuniyoshi Sato were also in Nagasaki when the second bomb fell, as was Shigeyoshi Morimoto, a kite maker who had miraculously survived Hiroshima despite being only a half-mile from ground zero. All told, some 165 people may have experienced both attacks, yet Yamaguchi was the only person officially recognized by the Japanese government as a “nijyuu hibakusha,” or “twice-bombed person.” He finally won the distinction in 2009, only a year before he died at the age of 93.

Source: http://www.history.com/news/the-man-who-survived-two-atomic-bombs

One thing to note about Tsutomu Yagamuchi is that he was a Buddhist. All Buddhist are by definition Atheist, so one of the greatest miracles on earth happened to someone that didn't believe in any God. And if impossible miracles can happen to an atheist, what does that have to say about theist that attribute minor things in their lives as the work of God.
The truth is that miracles do happen, but they're not supernatural in nature, they aren't caused by God or any deity, but rather happen because of probability. Let's say 20,000 people have a certain type of cancer that leaves sufferers with a 10% chance of survival, now 10% is low but there's still a chance. Now out of that 20,000 let's say 10 survive, out of that 10, one is a religious person that prayed. This person will immediately proclaim that God healed him, and the media and religious houses will circulate his story. Not mentioning anything about the other 19,990 people that didn't make it, most of whom probably prayed as well. This is the delusion in miracles.
See through the delusion of religion, the blog below will help.

http://www.godisimaginary.com/i1.htm

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by hopefulLandlord: 9:25am On Oct 03, 2016
Christians be like : it was Yahweh that spared his life, he gave him another opportunity to accept Jesus

Muslims be like : it was Allah's work

2 Likes

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Elkay3: 9:31am On Oct 03, 2016
So all this soul-touching recollection is to point what? That God do not exist? Or that a Buddhist with his/her figure head has turned to an atheist?
The sense ended not making a sense..
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 03, 2016
Elkay3:
So all this soul-touching recollection is to point what? That God do not exist? Or that a Buddhist with his/her figure head has turned to an atheist?
The sense ended not making a sense..
Buddhist don't believe in a God. Its an atheistic religion
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by DIKEnaWAR: 9:40am On Oct 03, 2016
Nice..

1 Like

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Elkay3: 9:57am On Oct 03, 2016
Lennycool:

Buddhist don't believe in a God. Its an atheistic religion
A Buddhist regards Gautama Buddha as a a manifestation of God, son of God the Father, reincarnation etc. He is worshipped, that makes him a deity.
An atheist doesn't believe in supreme deities of any sort.
A Buddhist worships, an atheist doesn't. I believe there's a difference.
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 03, 2016
Elkay3:

A Buddhist regards Gautama Buddha as a a manifestation of God, son of God the Father, reincarnation etc. He is worshipped, that makes him a deity.
An atheist doesn't believe in supreme deities of any sort.
A Buddhist worships, an atheist doesn't. I believe there's a difference.
I dey laugh you? grin
Buddhist regard Buddha as teacher and founder. No more. Buddha himself never characterised himself as a God. You should read more before arguing.

1 Like

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Elkay3: 2:02pm On Oct 03, 2016
Lennycool:

I dey laugh you? grin
Buddhist regard Buddha as teacher and founder. No more. Buddha himself never characterised himself as a God. You should read more before arguing.
Bros/sis, the followers make up what they see as deity. Please, check again. There's a line between teacher and divine teacher, and that's simply picking on the teacher-aspect. Please check again, Sir/Ma.
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Ranchhoddas: 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2016
Wow.
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 03, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Wow.
What ruffled you?
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 03, 2016
Elkay3:

Bros/sis, the followers make up what they see as deity. Please, check again. There's a line between teacher and divine teacher, and that's simply picking on the teacher-aspect. Please check again, Sir/Ma.

Read carefully

1.) Who Was the Buddha?
Siddhartha Gotama was born into a royal family in Lumbini, now located in Nepal, in 563 BC. At 29, he realised that wealth and luxury did not guarantee happiness, so he explored the different teachings religions and philosophies of the day, to find the key to human happiness. After six years of study and meditation he finally found 'the middle path' and was enlightened. After enlightenment, the Buddha spent the rest of his life teaching the principles of Buddhism — called the Dhamma, or Truth — until his death at the age of 80.

2.)Was the Buddha a God?
He was not, nor did he claim to be. He was a man who taught a path to enlightenment from his own experience.

3.)•Do Buddhists Worship Idols?
Buddhists sometimes pay respect to images of the Buddha, not in worship, nor to ask for favours. A statue of the Buddha with hands rested gently in its lap and a compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. Bowing to the statue is an expression of gratitude for the teaching.

Source: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

I'm tired of illogical arguments
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Elkay3: 2:38pm On Oct 03, 2016
Lennycool:

Read carefully

1.) Who Was the Buddha?
Siddhartha Gotama was born into a royal family in Lumbini, now located in Nepal, in 563 BC. At 29, he realised that wealth and luxury did not guarantee happiness, so he explored the different teachings religions and philosophies of the day, to find the key to human happiness. After six years of study and meditation he finally found 'the middle path' and was enlightened. After enlightenment, the Buddha spent the rest of his life teaching the principles of Buddhism — called the Dhamma, or Truth — until his death at the age of 80.

2.)Was the Buddha a God?
He was not, nor did he claim to be. He was a man who taught a path to enlightenment from his own experience.

3.)•Do Buddhists Worship Idols?
Buddhists sometimes pay respect to images of the Buddha, not in worship, nor to ask for favours. A statue of the Buddha with hands rested gently in its lap and a compassionate smile reminds us to strive to develop peace and love within ourselves. Bowing to the statue is an expression of gratitude for the teaching.

Source: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

I'm tired of illogical arguments
Should I quote also?
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by winner01(m): 2:56pm On Oct 03, 2016
Elkay3:

Should I quote also?
No, i dont think so. It wouldnt change anything.
The atheist camp is embarrasingly outnumbered.
It needs the support of buddhists, agnostics, even deists and other people who do not believe in a personal God.

1 Like

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by hopefulLandlord: 3:00pm On Oct 03, 2016
Elkay3:

Should I quote also?
Do you need permission to do that?

1 Like

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by hahn(m): 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2016
winner01:
No, i dont think so. It wouldnt change anything.
The atheist camp is embarrasingly outnumbered.
It needs the support of buddhists, agnostics, even deists and other people who do not believe in a personal God.

Yes. Atheists are outnumbered by 33,000 denominations of Christianity. That alone should keep them shut cheesy
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by hahn(m): 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2016
Elkay3:

Should I quote also?

Quote o jare. I dey your back grin
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Ranchhoddas: 3:33pm On Oct 03, 2016
Lennycool:

What ruffled you?
It's a compelling story. Two nuclear attacks. What are the odds of surviving that?

2 Likes

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Elkay3: 3:35pm On Oct 03, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Do you need permission to do that?
In as much as I wanted to make exact reference from the book I read (in exact context, ISBN and all), I couldn't locate it.
But lemme forward a similar chat with someone else...
"Buddhism do not have a single or central God, but believe in superior beings who are not central but serve different purposes. They neither have a strong faith in God nor attest to the non-presence of a celestial being.....

Guanyin There are hundreds of gods in the Buddhist pantheon. Many have been borrowed from the Hindu pantheon to serve a particular purpose in Buddhist cosmology. Some have a humanlike appearance. Others look like monsters. Many have multiple arms and heads and hold various objects and display certain body positions and hand gestures that have symbolic meaning. At temples some serve as guardians and protectors at the entrance gates. Images found in temples vary according to sect and the period in which the temple was constructed. Gods, goddesses, and other celestial being tend to play a bigger role in Mahayana Buddhism than Theravada Buddhism. Mahayana Buddhism introduced a number of female deities....

Buddhist gods include Avalokitesvara (the eleven-headed God of Mercy), Panchika (god of riches), Harati (goddess) of fertility), Garuda (mythical bird), Yakshas and Yakshhis (male and female spirits associated with fertility), nagas (mythical serpent gods), Kinaras, or gandharvas (celestial musicians), Guanyin (Buddhist-Taoist goddess of Mercy), asparas (angels) dharmpalas (demonlike creatures that stomp on human bodies). Some have been adapted from the Hindu pantheon. Some have been taken outright from the Hindu pantheon.....

As is true with Hindu gods many Buddhist gods have different manifestations. Avalokitesvara appears in 33 different manifestations. One reason for this is that locals were absorbed into the Buddhist pantheon by making them manifestations of existing Buddhist gods....

While Buddha himself did not claim divine, no did he deny.....

The Buddhist pantheon of gods is derived mainly from Hinduism, Indian folk religions, and local religions where Buddhism took root. In many cases characteristics of gods from different faiths are merged into a single god. A Buddhist god, for example, may have been derived from Hindu god and given characteristics of a local spirit. Moreover, the gods are intended to show the many sides of enlightenment: it has wrathful, vengeful sides as well as its peaceful and beneficent side...."
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Elkay3: 3:40pm On Oct 03, 2016
Who is an atheist?
One who believe no deity exist.
Isn't there a huge difference with Buddhist?
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Elkay3: 3:42pm On Oct 03, 2016
But, I'm not good at arguing. I'm neither an atheist nor a Buddhist. All this quotation and counter quotation isn't what I hope for, my mind reflect on the hundreds of lives lost in the single acts of nuclear war by a super power.
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 03, 2016
This is wow! #BuddhaBless

1 Like

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 03, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
It's a compelling story. Two nuclear attacks. What are the odds of surviving that?
Slimmer than you'd think. Remember he not only survived the two nuclear blast. He also survived the radiation poisoning. If this isn't mind blowing enough, the guy still survived till his 93. Men forget oh. And in nigeria here, a guy will have cough and die.
Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by hopefulLandlord: 10:32pm On Oct 28, 2016
Lennycool:

Slimmer than you'd think. Remember he not only survived the two nuclear blast. He also survived the radiation poisoning. If this isn't mind blowing enough, the guy still survived till his 93. Men forget oh. And in nigeria here, a guy will have cough and die.

glory be to the Flying Spaghetti Monster

1 Like

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by hopefulLandlord: 4:13am On Nov 30, 2016
FSM is still performing these miracles!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: THE Greatest Miracle On Earth: Survival Of Tsutomu Yamaguchi by hopefulLandlord: 6:48pm On Aug 15, 2018
FSM

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Proud To Be A Catholic / Dream: This Attack Of The Monkeys / Saying "I'm Born Again " Is Boastful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.