Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Perceptions: Should NYSC Scheme Be Scrapped? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Perceptions: Should NYSC Scheme Be Scrapped? (636 Views)

Should NYSC Be Scrapped, See The Results Of A Twitter Poll. / 5 Reasons Why NYSC Should Not Be Scrapped / Federal Government Denies Scrapping NYSC Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Perceptions: Should NYSC Scheme Be Scrapped? by gbobele: 5:01pm On Oct 03, 2016
By Mark Godswill Olali

I tag my NYSC days as a bridge between the four walls of campus and labor market where retrenchment policy doubles the plight of Nigerian
graduates---a one year adventure that awarded me a certificate I thought would strip open doors of high-profile job opportunities. But the contrary is the case not just for me: for over a million Nigerians who have once upon a time obeyed the clarion call.

This prevalent harsh reality has prompted a controversial debate if the one year service is prime to the system or not. My attempt to find a suitable answer to these questions has always driven me to the path of forming a paradox that fires high more confusion in me as I listen to different minds proving their points on this subject--some I idolized for hitting their points through a logical ground while some left me disappointed with misguided and shoddily presented ones.

According to a colleague in whose stand point I spot Felicity, NYSC scheme has outlived its purpose of eroding regional prejudice in Nigeria so should be scrapped. Narrating his viewpoints in an article he posted on Nairaland where he received over 100comments applauding authenticity of his points, I was more than beguiled realizing the long awaited answer has arrived.

But as I was flipping through the comments which is one regular habit I find hard to let go off, I saw a comment throwing a counter jab against the article my friend had written. Who ever aired such a constructive criticism my intuition identified as the mouth piece of an opposing school of thought.This opposing point was spanned from the severe unemployment problem in the country and was built around questions that appeared rhetoric in nature . My memory may not be too keen to give a snap copy of the comment but I will try to use my words to represent it without altering its meaning.

"we lament of unemployment and yet subconsciously become agents igniting the problem. you want the government to layoff thousands of workers because the scheme has failed in that aspect of reducing regional prejudice? do you have a job for them? do you know the welfare of thousands of Nigerians are dependent on there income? when the unemployment rate climbs to 80℅ you will be first to sharpen your mouth-sword and blab about incompetency of the government in creating jobs. or let's say your dad was working in such a scheme and the government decides to take such an action. What would be your reaction? your reaction would conflict with your current position I guess."

As a fan of the Former (article), after reading the comment I was struck to the end of finding a shield for defense but I was too open-minded to reach for any as I fell under the captive of the latter ( comment). it almost succeeded in discrediting the piece of my friend, which conviction and precision had me in its pocket as well.

Finding myself lingering in the midst of two opposing forces fighting to take charge of me, with none ready to retreat nor surrender, the meaning of dilemma became clearer to me because it best described the shoes I was in.

At this point, I became indifferent to Which is superior. To some, my being indifferent in this case underscore my intelligence For not spotting the difference between the two, Or by not placing one above the other. Trust me, both arguments hit the mark of appraisal and are projected towards enlightening the public. From them, I have learned to see from more than one perception before diving into an ocean of conclusion on what I think is right or wrong.

Don't judge me!
Re: Perceptions: Should NYSC Scheme Be Scrapped? by tukdi: 5:07pm On Oct 03, 2016
***Grabs microphone***

NYSC should not be scrapped!

I repeat, NYSC should not be scrapped!

***drops microphone***
Re: Perceptions: Should NYSC Scheme Be Scrapped? by somez(m): 5:12pm On Oct 03, 2016
The big question should be, after nysc, what next? The scheme is just a waste of time and resources.
Re: Perceptions: Should NYSC Scheme Be Scrapped? by somez(m): 5:15pm On Oct 03, 2016
Hahahahah....no vex o. Funny guy
tukdi:
***Grabs microphone***

NYSC should not be scrapped!

I repeat, NYSC should not be scrapped!

***drops microphone***

1 Like

Re: Perceptions: Should NYSC Scheme Be Scrapped? by Mztadhee(m): 8:51am On Oct 06, 2016
Personally, Nysc is not the problem nd should not be scrapped. Let's look at it from this perspective, if there wasn't a scheme like the Nysc, how many graduates do we think would be lying useless at home yearly because of the basic reality of 'low number of jobs available'? Atleast NYSC serves to keep graduates busy for a year, boost their CV, nd also put Lil change into their pockets. I don't just believe the duration is right. One year is too much for the set objectives!

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help- Nysc Registration / NYSC Announces Mobilization Date For Batch B Stream II / Urgent Registration Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.