Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) (11033 Views)

Crown Of Thorns - A Story Of Love, Hatred, Lust And Adventure / A Heart Melting Story Of A Boy Who Was So Determined To Goto School(a Must Read) / A Court Of Mist And Fury (A Court Of Thorns And Roses #2) - Book Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by ssogundele(m): 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2016
The heart of man(woman) is desperately wicked.
........ but the whole thing is fiction! Let me not get too much attached.

Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Barristertemmie(f): 1:16pm On Oct 10, 2016
Ma'am,it will be nice if you update more often.I Know you might be busy and all but try update regularly because of curious readers like moi.
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by mattyboy007(m): 1:25pm On Oct 10, 2016
Make i buy land here.. keep it cumin dear
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by WILLIAMSKECH: 2:35pm On Oct 10, 2016
Abeg update na,or i go do u wetin u wan do daniel,bt daniel sef.odikwa egwu.
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by WILLIAMSKECH: 2:38pm On Oct 10, 2016
mattyboy007:
mattyboy007:
mattyboy007:
.Oya now buy,1 plot 1 billion wit 2 cows.
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by WILLIAMSKECH: 2:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
winkAMYviolet kway
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by mattyboy007(m): 6:25pm On Oct 10, 2016
WILLIAMSKECH:
[color=#990000][/color].Oya now buy,1 plot 1 billion wit 2 cows.
D 1M no b prblm bt will hv to consult Buhari fr d cows wink
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Gpdwise(m): 8:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Gpdwise(m): 8:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
I just feel that you should ve made ella less matrialistic form the way she met Daniel, first his car and his smile and her description of her friends boyfriend that works in shell. it shows she base love on material things

you never made mention abt how good Ella is with a computer!!!
like did she have more than the normal computer appreciation programme because a secretary in Nigeria isn't the hacker type!! cos if she is to be found guilty for a crime she doesn't ve the skill set to commit that means she had a really quack defense.

you also didn't tell us about how ella husband could open a bank Acc on your name without your notice

you didn't say if he was able to withdraw from this Acc without your notice and how did he go abt accomplishing this
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by amicable212(f): 8:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
November 15, 2015 came and gone. I was put in the defendant box while the lawyers all settled down on their seats. My family sat down on the front row of the arranged chair by my left while Daniel's family sat by my right. Some staff of Chantel motel were in attendance all waiting for my conviction.

The judge sat down on his chair with the gavel on his desk. The case started with me swearing to say the truth with the Holy bible in my hand. The plantiff lawyer started by asking me questions about the fraud case while I answered innocently.

“Mrs Gabriella, on the 2nd of Sept 2015, the research carried out shows that you were in bed by 10:00pm using your laptop for your illegal deals such as hacking into Chantel motel account. You also withdrew the sum of #200,000. The files I have here proof that you are the really culprit.” He said collecting the file on his desk.

“My lord,” I said, “I was asleep at that time and I am not guilty of any of the accusations.”

“So what you are saying in essence is that you don't have any idea of how all evidence point at you” The plaintiff lawyer interrupted.

“I am innocent my lord.” I said crying and pleading innocent.

“Objection my lord.” My lawyer said getting up from his chair.

“Objection sustained.” The judge said.

My lawyer came out with a file in his hand.

“My lord permit me to ask some questions.” My lawyer said, he turned back to my direction at the go ahead given by the judge. “Mrs Gabriella, where were you on the 2nd of Sept 2015?”

“I was in my room asleep.” I responded.

“My lord, all the allegations levied against my client is baseless. We all know that hackers can hack an account and link it to another person's address to be safe when the need arises. Why will a woman who is comfortable with life, who works in a big company want to steal?

It is not possible for her to steal #2million and still remain in this state. A sensible person will definitely run with such money. My client is well paid by her company and has no connection with Chantel motel where her husband works. If she is guilty as claimed, she would have cleared all trace of suspicion. My lord, my client is innocent and is falsely accuse. I plea with the honourable court to discharge and acquaint her.” My lawyer said.

The judge was analysing the facts with him while those on seat were passing glances at each other. I was trembling where I was about to urinate on myself.

The judge raised his head and pronounce his judgement. “This case is adjourned to the 2nd of December, 2015.” He said hitting the gavel.

I looked down disappointed. I was neither convicted or discharged and this worsened my fears. At least, I was happy that we were given time to gather more evidence to proof my innocence. My mum came to me, held my hands and assured me of our victory. The staff of Chantel motel all left leaving only Daniel's family and mine.

I was surprised that Daniel's dad was part of the conspiracy as he warned me severely to produce his son. A man I took as a father. Meeting Daniel and his family was the worst thing that had ever happened to me. Daniel's mum eyed me as she walked out of the court room. I realized one thing then that one should not trust anybody. The storm can come at any time, so please be prepare before then in order for you to conquer it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by amicable212(f): 8:47pm On Oct 10, 2016
Chapter eleven comes up later today. Please bear with me.
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Queentrippleb(f): 9:56pm On Oct 10, 2016
amicable212:

Chapter eleven comes up later today. Please bear with me.
...................Pls do not keep us waiting for ur story is so so interesting and it teaches us a lot of things.... more ink to ur pen
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by amicable212(f): 10:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
Chapter Eleven

There is always a bad moment in one's life.

We were making good steps ahead as my lawyer came up with facts which I never noticed. Though I received threats from Elizabeth, Daniel's family, I felt it was normal but the threat I received from Leonard, Daniel's friend got me confused.

Leonard called me on phone the day after my appearance in court. He told me that he called to help me out of my situation. I explained everything to him and he advised me to accept the crime whether guilty or not so that my punishment will reduce. I was not happy by his response as it showed that he disbelieved my story. Since he was Daniel's friend, he couldn't have said anything better. I decided to adopt the one man panel;working only with my lawyer to save my soul.

I received a lot of support from my GM who told me to do all it takes to win the case. He also promised to help me in anyway possible. I was sad when he broke the news that Denver Ltd won the contract with Mobile oil. We were suppose to win the deal but due to the fact that I was arrested for illegal charges, the contract was given to them. The company explained that they cannot afford to give us the deal when our company harbors fraudsters.

My lawyer had really been of great help as he worked endlessly trying to help me out. He pointed out the fact that Daniel did the hacking using my laptop as an evidence. His face and fingerprint were scanned by the laptop which Daniel forgot to erase. I had a security app in my laptop that scans the face of the operator before giving access. We found out that my laptop was on that night while I slept. The time and days of log in in my laptop was checked and we found out that it was used repeatedly for illegal transactions.

There was only one way to find out and that was to take my laptop to a computer engineer who can access who log-in and present the proof. That was one point we could not underestimate.

I stayed with my parents after my appearance in court for my safety. My stomach had protuded with the baby coping fine in my womb. Daniel's family were not concerned about their grand child as they denied the partenity of the baby. I decided not to push further as they were bent on seeing me in jail.

I stayed in my parents house for two weeks with regular visits from my lawyer who kept me updated of how far we had gone. I made a resolution then that if I come out of the case successful, I will live with my child alone for the rest of my life. I did not forget to do one thing during my trial period and that was to pray. I was not devoted to the things of God but the case made me come closer. I hoped for a successful case as December 2, 2015 drew near. That day took an unexpected turn in my life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Freeezzz(m): 2:44am On Oct 11, 2016
Well done ma'am. More please. cool
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by heemah(f): 7:02am On Oct 11, 2016
The heart of a man is truly wicked! Haba!!
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Missyetty(f): 7:25am On Oct 11, 2016
Oh! I am loving this, who could have thought that Daniel in a fraudster....waiting for more updates miss
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by amicable212(f): 9:43am On Oct 11, 2016

Everyone were all seated awaiting for the result of the fraud case. I was brought in like a criminal that has already been convicted as almost everyone saw my release as fruitless. The judge came in while everyone stood up and all sat down after the judge took his seat.

The prosecution started as the prosecutor came out ready to prove to the world that I am guilty as charged.

“Mrs Gabriella Okafor, you have denied the fact that you are the perpetrator of the fraud case. Evidence don't tell lie. I have a witness here who actually saw you go into your husband office the day after the crime was carried out. Even though you knew that your husband was not in his office, you still entered the office. The CCTV in his office also showed that you took away the Quora company contract stuffing it in your bag without permission. I see no reason for you to deny your crimes when you are guilty as charged.” The prosecutor said.

I opened my mouth wide in shock as I was thrown off balance by the allegations. I explained the situation to them as that was the only way to save my life. I turned to the judge,

“my lord, I received a call on that day from Daniel asking me to bring the Quora company contract file to him as he was busy at the moment. I only did as he instructed.”

“Mrs Gabriella, you want this honourable law court to believe that you were acting on your husband's decision. I put it to you that you are lying. What prove do you have to show that you gave the file to Daniel.” The prosecutor asked.

Tears rolled down my face as I became more confused. My lawyer intervened.

“Objection my lord.” My lawyer said.

“Objection over-ruled. The prosecutor continue.” The judge said.

“My lord, all facts point at the accused person who stole the file which she used to commit the evil deeds. I plead with this honourable court of law to say that she is guilty as charged.” He said going back to his seat.

Everyone stared at me as though I had been convicted. I had already given up until a brink of light showed up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by darltastic(m): 11:21am On Oct 11, 2016
hmmm *sips alomo*
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Queentrippleb(f): 11:41am On Oct 11, 2016
Nice job! pls ride on...... No delay.....
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by InestimableJoy(f): 11:50am On Oct 11, 2016
More Ink to your Pen Amicable.....
The beginning of the story lacks content validity.... No detailed description about the characters. ..
All the same, its a suspense thrilled.....
#Weldone#...
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by amicable212(f): 1:04pm On Oct 11, 2016
Chapter Twelve

Storms can definitely be conquered when prepared.

“My lord,” my lawyer began. “I have facts that prove my client innocence. I have a witness, Mrs Chidinma Ireogbu who saw the file being past from my client to her husband. Mrs Chidinma, please step towards the questioning box. ”

“Mrs chidinma where do you work and what happened on that day.” My lawyer asked.

“I work as a cleaner in Chantel motel. I came out to the junkyard to dump the old mattresses when I spotted Daniel leaning on his car. He wore a blue top and a face cap. Few minutes later, Mrs Gabriella came out and handed over a file to him.” She explained.

My lawyer took it from there. “My lord, Mrs chidinma testimony prove in a way that my client is innocent. Chantel motel has CCTV installed round it building. This memory card in my hand showed that the file was actually handed to Daniel. It has not been tampered with.” My lawyer said.

There was uproar in the court room as we all watched what happened between Daniel and I. That was not all as my lawyer continued.

“My lord, I also have evidence to show that Daniel is the perpetrator of the fraud case. The engineer who traced the hacker found out that Daniel did all that. His face and finger prints also showed on the laptop when scanned.

Mr Obinna Nwachukwu, a bank officer can also testify that the sum of #2million was transferred to Daniel's account by an unknown number. The bank officer who became suspicious alerted me when I inquired from him about the case during my investigation. Recently, #1million was transferred from Daniel's account to a UBA account number by Daniel.

I also found out that Daniel has an accomplice who helped in clearing all trace of Daniel's crime.” My lawyer said.

I was surprise as I couldn't believe what I heard. Everyone was surprised as they all stared at my lawyer.

My lawyer brought out files of Daniel's illegal transactions with his First bank account. We all listened to hear about his accomplice.

“My lord, Mr Leonard who works with Chantel motel has been on this game with Daniel from the start. They planned on sharing the money after everything dies down and then lay the blame on someone. Mrs Gabriella was the vulnerable one who won't suspect easily. Leonard and Daniel were caught at Subway where Daniel had gone to withdraw the remaining money and then transfer it to and unidentify account to avert suspicion. They are both outside and has confessed their crime. I plead with the honourable court of law to acquaint and discharge my client as she is innocent.” My lawyer concluded.

The judge gave 20minutes break for him to decide my fate. Hope was brought back to my life.

Leonard and Daniel were brought in as they bow their head. They confessed to the crime as I stared at Daniel. I could not believe he will go that far due to his greed. I was not interested in his explanation as nothing he said made sense to me.

The judge gave his verdict.

“After analysing the facts presented in this honourable court of law, I declare Mrs Gabriella Okafor innocent. She is here by discharge and acquainted.” The judge said.

My family jumped for joy as I cried in delight. The verdict continued.

“Mr Leonard Okorie and Mr Daniel Okafor, the files with me prove that you both defrauded Chantel motel and Quora company of #2million. You both are guilty as charged. You are hereby sentenced to 10 years in prison. All the money recovered will be returned to the two companies.” The judge said as he hits the gavel.

Daniel's mum broke down in tears as she held Daniel's arm asking why he did it. My mind flashed back to the day Leonard called me and asked me to accept the crime. I understood then that he was only trying to save his butt.

They took them out and they were put in the black maria. My mum hugged me while I thanked my lawyer for his help so far. Elizabeth and the GM of Chantel motel tendered their apologies to me. I left with my family as we all sang praising God for my victory.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by amfo(f): 1:13pm On Oct 11, 2016
well done
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by amicable212(f): 1:29pm On Oct 11, 2016
Chapter Thirteen

The conquered storm

You have all heard my story. The storm came but I conquered it. It is indeed true that marriage is not a bed of roses. In between those roses are thorns and when you are not careful, you get hit by them.

I resumed my duties in my company and a big welcome party was thrown for me by the GM. I had one goal:to restore our company's image and make it the best. We all prepared for the award show which Linton and Denver Ltd were nominated for best company 2015.

The award night was a wonderful one as I glowed in my white long gown. The company where I work- Linton were awarded the best company in Enugu 2015. Smiles filled our faces as we posed for different photographic shots. I was beyond happy when my name was called as the awardee of the most hardworking staff 2015. We all cheered in delight as I received my award.

To crown it all, Chantel motel gave me #500,000 for damages even without the court order. An official letter was written by Elizabeth on behalf of the company.

My joy and happiness came when I delivered a baby girl. She gave me enough reason to live and work hard. I have made a promise to take care of her and direct her path.

I never for once visited Daniel since he is being punished for his sins. I don't think I can ever love again. I know that love is a good thing for those who find the right partners. Well, love is not a bad thing but don't fall in love with the wrong person. Be careful to avoid mistakes.

THE END

Copyright Amaka Blessing
All rights reserved.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by bishopdave(m): 5:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
Wao....Nice story my dear.
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by oluwatymylehyn(m): 5:07pm On Oct 11, 2016
Hmmm... Daniel is such an heartless human being and shame to his parents... Congrats to Gabriella.... Nice story and kudos to the writer... More grease to your elbow. angryHmmm... Daniel is such an heartless human being and shame to his parents... Congrats to Gabriella.... Nice story and kudos to the writer... More grease to your elbow.
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by amicable212(f): 7:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
My special regard goes to all those who read this story. I will not forget your encouragements and criticism.

Am writing an action thrilling story now and I hope to publish soon. Watch out for it. Thanks.
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by CivilzedTyger(m): 7:23pm On Oct 11, 2016
amicable212:

My special regard goes to all those who read this story. I will not forget your encouragements and criticism.

Am writing an action thrilling story now and I hope to publish soon. Watch out for it. Thanks.
More grace
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by WILLIAMSKECH: 7:38pm On Oct 11, 2016
Amy nwa,thanks 4 d story,it seems we are on d same boat,but am more of a storyteller and less a writer.Anyway lets hook up,combining my wrk and urx.GOD will reward ur hard work.
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by MissRelly: 8:44pm On Oct 11, 2016
gud evening everybody,wow welldone,i really enjoyed dis story u are good more ink 2 ur pen
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Freeezzz(m): 10:41pm On Oct 11, 2016
amicable212, good job mademoiselle, God bless you. cool
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Richstan3: 7:51pm On Oct 12, 2016
Nice Article amicable. More Grace
Re: A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 13, 2016
Amicable212 please mention on your next update.

Modified

I came back late Na?

That was really good. I wish it was a bit long. Mention me next time hey. Bless you!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Unexpected Fight In Naruto Manga Chapter 343 / My Monster / Sokodobo Wins October 5K Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.