Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

My Life As A Teacher. - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Life As A Teacher. (52635 Views)

My Life As A Teacher. / Why Did You Become A Teacher / How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:02pm On Feb 24, 2018
hapheey007:
I'm a Primary 3 teacher, how do I help my pupils to read. The problem is a foundational problem. I have tried the Jolly phonics with them, now they know the sounds but can't use it when spelling.

Next step is blending. Start with 2 letters and move on from it.
Do diagraphs too.
And sight words.

Do you have jolly phonics training?

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Ugosample(m): 4:53pm On Feb 24, 2018
zicoraads:
Dear teachers,

The term is about to commence, please note that in every 10pupils in your classroom, 1 is an auditory learner, 6 are visual learners and the remaining 3 are kinesthetic.

Auditory learners understand easily by listening, they don't require pictures to retain the knowledge being transmitted.

Visual learners otherwise called sight learners thrive well when the teacher uses pictures and videos to deliver lessons.

Kinesthetic learners are "lets-do-the-talk" learners. They grab easily when they're engaged in practicals, experiments, role playing etc.

Please do not use the one size fits all approach this year.

Remember, if you teach kids of today the way you were taught yesterday, you're depriving them of their tomorrow.

this is so cool.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by hapheey007(f): 10:31am On Feb 25, 2018
zaynie:

Next step is blending. Start with 2 letters and move on from it. Do diagraphs too. And sight words.

Yes, I do. I will start the blending soonest. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Besea(f): 12:15pm On Feb 25, 2018
Hellos
Please I need help. My 3 year old develops headache or stomach ache or starts to feel sleepy whenever it's time for homework. How do I help him to be more interested in his books.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 3:56pm On Feb 25, 2018
Besea:
Hellos
Please I need help. My 3 year old develops headache or stomach ache or starts to feel sleepy whenever it's time for homework. How do I help him to be more interested in his books.

Engage him in physical things before the homework. Then you can be sure he's fine and not pretending.
Every morning in my class we engage in play till 9pm and then work starts.that way we can tell what child is feeling up to it or not.
Then promise more play after.
You can keep his favorite toy right beside you and promise to play with him once he is done with homework.
Make sure to fulfill your promise cos it will make him trust you to always deliver wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Besea(f): 8:48am On Mar 02, 2018
zaynie:

Engage him in physical things before the homework. Then you can be sure he's fine and not pretending.
Every morning in my class we engage in play till 9pm and then work starts.that way we can tell what child is feeling up to it or not.
Then promise more play after.
You can keep his favorite toy right beside you and promise to play with him once he is done with homework.
Make sure to fulfill your promise cos it will make him trust you to always deliver wink
Thanks. I think I will use his toys that should work.

3 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Aim07(f): 9:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
zaynie:

Next step is blending. Start with 2 letters and move on from it.
Do diagraphs too.
And sight words.

mama I envy you, with all this training hmm, I need tell daddy Moyo to set up Zaynie Montessori School....my hands are up for u�

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:11am On Mar 03, 2018
Aim07:
mama I envy you, with all this training hmm, I need tell daddy Moyo to set up Zaynie Montessori School....my hands are up for u�

Lol, maami.
I'm still a learner o cheesy

5 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 11:36pm On Jun 16, 2018
rezzy:

Pele ma. I'm also in your shoes. My 3 years 1 months old son is driving me nuts.

@zaynie, will surely try that obey rule from tomorrow , I pray God gives me enough patience. Thanks ma.

Hi ma, how's your boy, has he started calming down? how is he coping in school?
Mine is still disturbing. He is an intelligent boy but he can't calm down and learn. Am beginning to think towards ADHD.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 11:42pm On Jun 16, 2018
rezzy:

Pele ma. I'm also in your shoes. My 3 years 1 months old son is driving me nuts.

@zaynie, will surely try that obey rule from tomorrow , I pray God gives me enough patience. Thanks ma.

Mine is still disturbing. He is an intelligent boy but he can't calm down and learn. Am beginning to think towards ADHD.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by rezzy: 9:42pm On Jun 17, 2018
MumJJJ:

He is fine ma. He hasn't ooo. I have used several methods but I'm not getting any results. Mine can't keep calm and do his homework, he keeps talking and flipping the pages of his book.

At church (mid week activities} , he runs round the church on his four limbs like four legged animal and does his mouth like a lion/tiger. He does that from the time we enter the church till closing. Ushers will try their best and let him be. I will spank, flog, yet he won't stop. His little brother is beginning to imitate him.

People say he doesn't have sense yet that I should give him time, that most boys at that age behave like that. My dh also said he will change that Let's keep talking to them, they hear and understand us.

For ADHD, I think he his still young to conclude, why not wait a little more till like age 5 or 6. I pray they change before then.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 4:37pm On Jun 21, 2018
rezzy:

He is fine ma. He hasn't ooo. I have used several methods but I'm not getting any results. Mine can't keep calm and do his homework, he keeps talking and flipping the pages of his book.

At church (mid week activities} , he runs round the church on his four limbs like four legged animal and does his mouth like a lion/tiger. He does that from the time we enter the church till closing. Ushers will try their best and let him be. I will spank, flog, yet he won't stop. His little brother is beginning to imitate him.

People say he doesn't have sense yet that I should give him time, that most boys at that age behave like that. My dh also said he will change that Let's keep talking to them, they hear and understand us.

For ADHD, I think he his still young to conclude, why not wait a little more till like age 5 or 6. I pray they change before then.

I pray for a change too. I actually took him to FMC, but was asked to go home that it is too early for the diagnosis.
He is always happy when ever I want to teach him. but he can't calm down more than thirty minutes and it's affecting his learning.
His teacher said that she is noticing some positive changes when we discussed last week.
I also found out that he is lagging behind in school. for instance,; most of his class mates can write a-z very neat, but he can't, he is always going up and down, some times, he writes backwards, like writing letter j in between h and i.
Some times it's like he can't remember what he was taught, but the last few hours you hear him repeating everything especially when he is alone playing.
am helping at home because I noticed that he learns faster when given personal attention, so am thinking of asking his teacher to help for a token.
He still disturbs.
Please, anybody who knows what I can do to change him should please help, especially in his academic performance.

Sis zaynie, please don't read and pass.

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Ademat7(m): 8:58am On Jun 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZY-hB2C_Iw
explore talking to global audience

MumJJJ:

I pray for a change too. I actually took him to FMC, but was asked to go home that it is too early for the diagnosis.
He is always happy when ever I want to teach him. but he can't calm down more than thirty minutes and it's affecting his learning.
His teacher said that she is noticing some positive changes when we discussed last week.
I also found out that he is lagging behind in school. for instance,; most of his class mates can write a-z very neat, but he can't, he is always going up and down, some times, he writes backwards, like writing letter j in between h and i.
Some times it's like he can't remember what he was taught, but the last few hours you hear him repeating everything especially when he is alone playing.
am helping at home because I noticed that he learns faster when given personal attention, so am thinking of asking his teacher to help for a token.
He still disturbs.
Please, anybody who knows what I can do to change him should please help, especially in his academic performance.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 11:59pm On Jun 24, 2018
Ademat7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZY-hB2C_Iw explore talking to global audience
thanks a lot Sis
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Ademat7(m): 11:11am On Jun 25, 2018
MumJJJ:

thanks a lot Sis
male
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 7:36pm On Jun 25, 2018
MumJJJ:

He still disturbs.

Hello mama.
How old is your boy?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 11:51pm On Jun 25, 2018
zaynie:

Hello mama.
How old is your boy?
He is 3years and 8 months, that's, he will be 4 years by October. He's in nursery 1.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2018
Ademat7:
male
OK, thanks
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 9:07am On Jun 26, 2018
MumJJJ:

He is 3years and 8 months, that's, he will be 4 years by October. He's in nursery 1.

This means that he will be in Primary 1 in September when he is 4 years old. Is 4 years old not too young to be in primary 1?. Could this early schooling be the reason as it might be that he did not play enough.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 3:07pm On Jun 26, 2018
NL1960:

This means that he will be in Primary 1 in September when he is 4 years old. Is 4 years old not too young to be in primary 1?. Could this early schooling be the reason as it might be that he did not play enough.
No, he still has nursery 2 and 3 to complete before primary 1.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 3:15pm On Jun 26, 2018
MumJJJ:

No, he still has nursery 2 and 3 to complete before primary 1.

You should relax then. The young man is just enjoying his baby years. I believe there are kids that catch up late. Nursery school is basically for play.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 10:33pm On Jun 26, 2018
MumJJJ:

Okay Mama, chill for him a bit.
You see him not doing everything everybody in the class does? Leave that one. All kids learn at different pace, let him do his learning at his own pace.
Some learn easily but forget easily too.
Some take their time to understand and they never lose it.
Some learn visually. Show them on TV, colorful flash cards or even Tablet.
Some learn by audio, rhyme it, say it and they get it.
Some learn by practicing regularly.
No matter what, as long as he's learning, even if its not his numbers or letters, if he's learning manners, etiquettes, self care, songs....he's learning!

Now on the hyperactivity.
ADHD and its cousins are real. I'm no expert at it but many times in the classroom we assume a child has it, the child will be tested and found not to. This means that the child is just used to having his way and is in a growing up phase.
Now I'll tell you about Kofi. He joined our class when he was a month away from 2 years. Kofi couldn't speak properly, he talked but it was mumble-jumble (unlike most others who could say some words clearly). Now apart from Kofi not talking well, he never stayed still. Whenever they don't come to pick Kofi on time, at least 2 teachers have to stay, just so we can keep an eye on him. It took almost 3 months to get him settled (unlike 2 weeks for.most.kids). We constantly spoke to him.
Kofi, you need to sit with the others.
Kofi, you shouldn't play with that.
Kofi, play nice
Kofi, put that away right now.
Kofi, do you want timeout? You need to behave.

And when he doesn't behave? Timeout.
He sits separately ,not facing the wall please.. He sits where he can see you and you can see him but he cannot move away. At first he struggled, he refused to sit. We made him to, folded his legs and put his bottom down and held him down gently but firmly. And then we stayed with him and soon he stopped struggling with us.

Now, Kofi is one of our best pupils. He's just a little over 2 but he will count 1-30, identify 1-20, knows his sounds satipncke, colours and a wide range of animals. He also speaks quite well, not our best speaker but we understand whatever he says.

You need to find what works for your son. Him writing his letters backwards is genius of him! Do you know how many children find it difficult to count backwards?
I've taught 5 year olds and they mix up their letters, to me the arrangement doesn't matter except when they're doing Verbal Aptitude, what matters to me is he can write and identify the letters!
Arrangement can change even anywhere! But the letter formation, name and sound will always be the same. So continue to teach him with patience. When he makes a mistake, tell him " hey you (jokingly), look over here, I don't think this is right" if he is able to tell you what the mistake is, then he's amazing..its one thing to make a mistake, its another thing to know what that mistake was.so he erases and makes it right..

If he learns faster with attention on just him, then I think it is wise to have a teacher come in like twice a week to reinforce.

Good.luck with your boy and let's know how it works out!

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 6:17pm On Jun 27, 2018
zaynie:

Okay Mama, chill for him a bit.
You see him not doing everything everybody in the class does? Leave that one. All kids learn at different pace, let him do his learning at his own pace.
Some learn easily but forget easily too.
Some take their time to understand and they never lose it.
Some learn visually. Show them on TV, colorful flash cards or even Tablet.
Some learn by audio, rhyme it, say it and they get it.
Some learn by practicing regularly.
No matter what, as long as he's learning, even if its not his numbers or letters, if he's learning manners, etiquettes, self care, songs....he's learning!

Now on the hyperactivity.
ADHD and its cousins are real. I'm no expert at it but many times in the classroom we assume a child has it, the child will be tested and found not to. This means that the child is just used to having his way and is in a growing up phase.
Now I'll tell you about Kofi. He joined our class when he was a month away from 2 years. Kofi couldn't speak properly, he talked but it was mumble-jumble (unlike most others who could say some words clearly). Now apart from Kofi not talking well, he never stayed still. Whenever they don't come to pick Kofi on time, at least 2 teachers have to stay, just so we can keep an eye on him. It took almost 3 months to get him settled (unlike 2 weeks for.most.kids). We constantly spoke to him.
Kofi, you need to sit with the others.
Kofi, you shouldn't play with that.
Kofi, play nice
Kofi, put that away right now.
Kofi, do you want timeout? You need to behave.

And when he doesn't behave? Timeout.
He sits separately ,not facing the wall please.. He sits where he can see you and you can see him but he cannot move away. At first he struggled, he refused to sit. We made him to, folded his legs and put his bottom down and held him down gently but firmly. And then we stayed with him and soon he stopped struggling with us.

Now, Kofi is one of our best pupils. He's just a little over 2 but he will count 1-30, identify 1-20, knows his sounds satipncke, colours and a wide range of animals. He also speaks quite well, not our best speaker but we understand whatever he says.

You need to find what works for your son. Him writing his letters backwards is genius of him! Do you know how many children find it difficult to count backwards?
I've taught 5 year olds and they mix up their letters, to me the arrangement doesn't matter except when they're doing Verbal Aptitude, what matters to me is he can write and identify the letters!
Arrangement can change even anywhere! But the letter formation, name and sound will always be the same. So continue to teach him with patience. When he makes a mistake, tell him " hey you (jokingly), look over here, I don't think this is right" if he is able to tell you what the mistake is, then he's amazing..its one thing to make a mistake, its another thing to know what that mistake was.so he erases and makes it right..

If he learns faster with attention on just him, then I think it is wise to have a teacher come in like twice a week to reinforce.

Good.luck with your boy and let's know how it works out!

Thanks a lot Sis. Words can't express how grateful I am.
I have noticed great improvement just few days I started helping him. He can now write and identify a-z, though I still need to work on his writing because it's too big.

I will surely make arrangement for someone to come in the house and help.

what I also noticed, is that the teacher focuses on those who are learning fast and keep moving, maybe to cover her scheme of work.

Please, how is the best way to teach him to read? he knows many two and three letter words off hand (crammed work ) but I want him to be able to read the words outside the crammed ones.

I met his teacher yesterday and got information on the basic things he needs to know. I want to utilize this coming vacation and help him so that he doesn't lag behind in the next class.

Thanks so much sis, you are the best!

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 9:36pm On Jun 27, 2018
MumJJJ:

Thanks a lot Sis. Words can't express how grateful I am.
I have noticed great improvement just few days I started helping him. He can now write and identify a-z, though I still need to work on his writing because it's too big.

I will surely make arrangement for someone to come in the house and help.

what I also noticed, is that the teacher focuses on those who are learning fast and keep moving, maybe to cover her scheme of work.

Please, how is the best way to teach him to read? he knows many two and three letter words off hand (crammed work ) but I want him to be able to read the words outside the crammed ones.

I met his teacher yesterday and got information on the basic things he needs to know. I want to utilize this coming vacation and help him so that he doesn't lag behind in the next class.

Thanks so much sis, you are the best!

Sent you a pm.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Zahn02(f): 10:13am On Jun 28, 2018
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 11:02am On Jun 28, 2018
Zahn02:
Hello mama Zaynie, have been a silent reader of your diary. Please ma, my son hate anything about school, he doesn't like reading at all. To teach him pencil grip na war. He will just be crying. How can I help him? He is just 2yrs

My son who is now 12 years old first step his feet into a school at 3 years old. He entered nursery 1 at that age. He did not do pre-nursery. Children are different. So give the young man time.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Zahn02(f): 12:26pm On Jun 28, 2018
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 12:32pm On Jun 28, 2018
Zahn02:
thanks ma

Iam a man o.

Anyway, just relax. Many women panic a lot these days about their kids learning and always want to rush the child.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Ganjababe: 2:49pm On Jun 28, 2018
Ma'am Zaynie,

Am here o. How's the waddling ministry going?

Please, I prefer schools around Masha/Bode Thomas. Or if there is anyway I can reach you, I don't mind abeg.

Thanks so much
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by MumJJJ(f): 6:03pm On Jun 28, 2018
zaynie:

Sent you a pm.
Thanks Sis
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 1:31pm On Jun 29, 2018
Zahn02:
Hello mama Zaynie, have been a silent reader of your diary. Please ma, my son hate anything about school, he doesn't like reading at all. To teach him pencil grip na war. He will just be crying. How can I help him? He is just 2yrs

Hello mama.
Reading? For a 2 year old might be quite too early.
Try to get picture books and make a story out of the.. It could be your regular coloring book.
For example if on one page there is a picture of an elephant, you could make a sentence like
Mom: what do you see?
Child: I see an elephant. ( or just say elephant)
Mom: wow! The elephant is sooooooo big! It walks like this (imitate a big elephant with big loud steps).
And look at its trunk go (use your arms as your trunks and blow loudly like a trumpet). The sounds you make will make him smile and that's how the love of books begins.
Mom: would you like to color the elephant?
Child: okay.. (Child gets to choose color cos your activity is child centred; no matter how ridiculous the colour seems for the image: that is how favorite colors are known)
Mom: what color is that?
Child: color red!
Mom: that's right! Its color red (Or) oh no! That's color purple and not red. What color is this? (Point to the same crayon.
Child: color purple.
Mom: great now we get to color the elephant purple. ( if the book is big, you can color together but if it isn't you just observe that he is holding the crayon the right way)

For his age, fat crayons are advised so he can practice his pincer grips or you get palmer grasp crayons. These crayons are quite large and the child grasps with the whole hand but I think he should be older than that.

Now coming back to his pencil grip, get fat tripod pencils for him. I've posted a pix here before, kindly go through the last few pages.
Other activities to help with tripod grip are pegging, lacing, sorting rice and brands, tearing paper.
You may need to download Pinterest. You'll see a lot of activities that you can easily modify from your end.
Also visit you tube to watch videos of how the activities are best carried out.

The thumb, fore and middle fingers are the tripod grip.
In the images below, note the age of the child so no pressures, this is a the teaching phase, he will gradually learn to hold the pencil right. The fat tripod pencil will help a great deal. Some of the kids in my class 26m have mastered the grip while some are still struggling with it, last last everybody go hold pencil.

13 Likes 13 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

I Am A Virgin And My Boss Wants To Have Sex With Me / Salary Structure In Nigeria / KPMG: My Temp Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.