Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

My Life As A Teacher. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Life As A Teacher. (52780 Views)

My Life As A Teacher. / Why Did You Become A Teacher / How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Aminat508(f): 9:15pm On Oct 08, 2016
dahaz:
Nice write up OP. Do not mind all those small small boys who thinks everybody on nairaland is there mates and have the same IQ as them. May God continue to bless our teachers
Hmm dahaz nice one!

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by iomoge2(f): 12:10am On Oct 09, 2016
zaynie:

Eyes shooking things.....i get you jare.
I just had to rise above or else my thread will go to the dogs.
How's my Lil baking baby.... easy on the pineapples o..

She doing fine.... very fine. So happy

I will be easy on d pineapples n zobo lipsrsealed
Thanks much mami

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by iomoge2(f): 12:12am On Oct 09, 2016
Loisemm:
yeparipa grin
See wetin ma'am Zaynie 's writing don cause. lolz.
I told my Hubby sometime ago when I fell in love with your posts because of your wit, humour and near perfect style of writing, that I would ask you if you teach English language.
Then I discovered you read Microbiology...

As in eh... you guys should come to preggy and TTC threads & see for yourself..
E no start today.

Funny enough, i was telling hubby of her writting on friday night.
Chia.....

God bless you Mejaina

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 7:44am On Oct 09, 2016
To all parents out there. Don't look down on your child's teacher even if she isn't doing what you expect.... she's really putting in great effort and you can help with encouraging words and providing some materials or books to support her.
Let's also try to avoid insulting teachers especially at home in front of the kids. They usually give us feedback.
One day one of my first graders came to me and said " my daddy said no Muslim will enter heaven". All the kids were like ahhhhhhh but Ms Zaynie is a Muslim and some other kids in class too. So I said " you know what Great, thank God your daddy doesn't decide who goes to heaven or not. God does". wink

One boy came to school and told his really busty teacher, " my daddy calls you cowbell "..... just imagine angry

Enjoy this rainy Sunday

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by blank(f): 3:47pm On Oct 09, 2016
zaynie:
To all parents out there. Don't look down on your child's teacher even if she isn't doing what you expect.... she's really putting in great effort and you can

I guess this one is for me. I hired a lesson teacher to help with my kids homework as I won't be around for a long while. The lady had all the qualifications on paper but her spoken/written English was atrocious. Didn't have time to interview her as the school term had started.

She sent me a thank you SMS with so many slangs and contractions that I was like shocked what have I done? I had to correct their homework sometimes. Didn't realise that I was bad mouthing her to them until the day that the eldest didn't do his homework till the next morning. I asked him and he told me that his lesson teacher doesn't know anything and he doesn't want to do it twice. That he made sure she knew his stance so that she does not disturb him again.

Had to let her go less than a week but I need to be more careful around them.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Olanna45(f): 4:51pm On Oct 09, 2016
zaynie:
To all parents out there. Don't look down on your child's teacher even if she isn't doing what you expect.... she's really putting in great effort and you can help with encouraging words and providing some materials or books to support her.
Let's also try to avoid insulting teachers especially at home in front of the kids. They usually give us feedback.
One day one of my first graders came to me and said " my daddy said no Muslim will enter heaven". All the kids were like ahhhhhhh but Ms Zaynie is a Muslim and some other kids in class too. So I said " you know what Great, thank God your daddy doesn't decide who goes to heaven or not. God does". wink

One boy came to school and told his really busty teacher, " my daddy calls you cowbell "..... just imagine angry

Enjoy this rainy Sunday

Its a common thing in our society. They don't realize the impart of those words on the teacher.

When i was in the primary section, i asked them to bring the normal tissue and soap they are asked to bring each term, only for the boy to come to school the next day to tell me that the mum said am i stupid? Don't i know that the economy is hard.

i really felt embarrased. Well i told him to tell the mum that i am not stupid, but only doing my job.

4 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 6:50pm On Oct 09, 2016
blank:

I guess this one is for me. I hired a lesson teacher to help with my kids homework as I won't be around for a long while. The lady had all the qualifications on paper but her spoken/written English was atrocious. Didn't have time to interview her as the school term had started.

She sent me a thank you SMS with so many slangs and contractions that I was like shocked what have I done? I had to correct their homework sometimes. Didn't realise that I was bad mouthing her to them until the day that the eldest didn't do his homework till the next morning. I asked him and he told me that his lesson teacher doesn't know anything and he doesn't want to do it twice. That he made sure she knew his stance so that she does not disturb him again.

Had to let her go less than a week but I need to be more careful around them.

shocked
That is one gutsy child.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by airforcewife(f): 10:18pm On Oct 09, 2016
Nice piece Zaynie! You write very well!

Got me thinking about the individual personalities of the kids I teach! Wonderful experience!

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 10:51pm On Oct 09, 2016
airforcewife:
Nice piece Zaynie! You write very well!

Got me thinking about the individual personalities of the kids I teach! Wonderful experience!

Thanks sis.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by blank(f): 8:44am On Oct 10, 2016
zaynie:

shocked
That is one gutsy child.

He definitely is especially to us, his parents.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 6:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
Today was just there.
Demi, Kiki and Banky were a handful.
Running about like a jackrabbit on power horse.
Then I tried to force Banky to nap and dude released a time bomb, straight in the direction of my mouth.... I swear I tasted it before I smelt it...... yuck!
Got me running off!
I just left him alone..... and he was laughing o.

It seems Demi now sees me everywhere.
He calls everyone Mejaina now..... lol.

Onegai, this is one of the reasons I love 5 year olds.
The occasional love notes....
Saw this in my box last night.

Before accusers will accuse again o.
In my previous school, I was called by my surname cos it is British centred and quite formal. Here now, we are as informal as informal can be. We even wear jeans on Monday grin
Written by 5 year olds. kiss

11 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 1:47pm On Oct 11, 2016
zaynie:
Hi zaynie, how do we correct them- teachers when they make mistakes. For example writing " this" instead of "these", "his" for is"
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 10:34pm On Oct 11, 2016
obioji:

Hi zaynie, how do we correct them- teachers when they make mistakes. For example writing " this" instead of "these", "his" for is"

You correct one on one.
Don't feel somehow.... just do it without rubbing her face in it. If you do this often enough, she will begin to pay attention to such details cos she doesn't want ypur wahala... your wahala will make her better.
After one session, you carry yourself to anther teacher. Case dismissed wink

I once taught the son of the Chief Librarian of a University. She will come,cross leg and go through all the books on open day. She will ask questions from the boy. Then she would talk to me, pester me to mention any complaints about the boy/her....so they can improve and then she will make her observations about me.
Na serious preparation we dey always make o..... I will always make sure that the boy can answer any question, I will look at my class thoroughly to be sure no decoration will disgrace me and all the kids will be given sound warning. Lol.

She ended up falling in love with me as I did with her.
I actually looked forward to her visit cos it meant I could get a honest opinion about my skills and at least one person would notice what I was doing differently this term around.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 11:21pm On Oct 11, 2016
zaynie:

Thanks for replying. I have been keeping it to myself. I actually do not want the teachers to be cold toward my son because of my corrections. He is just 3 years. Lol to the chief librarian scenario. I'm a librarian.

4 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:59am On Oct 12, 2016
obioji:

Thanks for replying. I have been keeping it to myself. I actually do not want the teachers to be cold toward my son because of my corrections. He is just 3 years. Lol to the chief librarian scenario[b]. I'm a librarian[/b].

A good teacher won't count your criticism against the child. Just do it the right way. Not condescendingly and not too "begg-ily". Find a midpoint and keep on it until you see the change seek.

Lol @ the bold, what a coincidence cheesy
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 1:05am On Oct 12, 2016
This love wantintin sha grin

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2016
zaynie:

A good teacher won't count your criticism against the child. Just do it the right way. Not condescendingly and not too "begg-ily". Find a midpoint and keep on it until you see the change seek.
OK. I will speak to them. You are indeed a TEACHER. Thanks so much. I'm one of your secret followers on NL. From pregnancy section to child care and your dairy. My daughter is few weeks older than your daughter. I was so happy when you got your VBACS. All the best!!!

4 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 3:50pm On Oct 12, 2016
obioji:

OK. I will speak to them. You are indeed a TEACHER. Thanks so much. I'm one of your secret followers on NL. From pregnancy section to child care and your dairy. My daughter is few weeks older than your daughter. I was so happy when you got your VBACS. All the best!!!

Wow! I am humbled.
Thanks.

skarlett:
This love wantintin sha grin
You want some?..... Oya take kiss kiss kiss
So I see that you have neglected your diary in favour of your story.
Isnorfair o

3 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 12, 2016
zaynie:

Wow! I am humbled.
Thanks.
You want some?..... Oya take kiss kiss kiss
So I see that you have neglected your diary in favour of your story.
Isnorfair o

kiss kiss kiss
Thanks ma'am

I just get so lazy and don't find so much to talk about these days. You don't update on the regular too

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 13, 2016
Amazing-ness!
cool

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Akorkor(f): 10:38pm On Oct 15, 2016
@zaynie, been following you on your diaries and I can see your love for teaching. Please can you be of assistant to my sister? She's tired of banking environment and she will love to move to teaching so that she can have her time. Please do you have any link on how we can get a good teaching job with a fair pay. I will appreciate it if you quote me.

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 10:21am On Oct 16, 2016
Akorkor:
@zaynie, been following you on your diaries and I can see your love for teaching. Please can you be of assistant to my sister? She's tired of banking environment and she will love to move to teaching so that she can have her time. Please do you have any link on how we can get a good teaching job with a fair pay. I will appreciate it if you quote me.

Most schools that pay well usually employ based on referral.
If she has friends with kids in big schools, she can ask them to put in a word for her. Even if she isn't employed as a teacher, there are some non-teaching positions she can fit in that her experience in the banking sector will come in handy.
If she really wants to teach, she might want to get a diploma in any Education course. Most schools won't employ if you don't have a B.Ed or several years of experience.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 8:53am On Oct 23, 2016
Ok!
Last week and the week before that was hectic with a big fat H!
Those kids are getting out of hand especially with me. I think it's because they know I am clueless on what disciplinary measures to take with them.
As a rule, you don't hit, yell or drag the child. You don't point and ask them to face the wall too. The only thing you can do is ask them to go to the thinking corner to think about what they just did. Is it effective.... yes if they stay there long enough and if the child isnt Banky, Kiki, Demi or Mide. Those 4 are immune to the Thinking Corner.... it seems when they're there they are busy thinking of more ways to burn your fuse.

Then I was so mad, I pinched one of them and he kept saying "She pinched me..... she pinched me.... don't do that! " I was like "Haa! Mogbe! Alakoba ni omo yii o". A TA in my class was relieved of her class duty cos she hit a child. So I asked the teacher, why do they obey you.... and you don't even yell or touch them. And she gave me her secret....hold them firmly. Don't drag... hold firm, at the pits or upper arm. The kind of grip Ehn! But I was still pitying these skinny lil people, they will dribble me, laugh at me, kick me sometimes.... till they brought out the gripper in me! cheesy.
Firm grip, place them on the chair and say "sit and stay seated" in their ears with a sound grip that makes them wince..... Ehn Ehn I have peace for the next 30 minutes then use my eyes to speak for the next 20 minutes before another grip is needed.
When Banky is up to no good and sees me coming he takes off or says "alright alright.... I'll leave it alone " that boy, case. He's too sweet kiss

Then last week the Main Teacher went for her eye check and I was left in charge, funny enough they behaved. Then some therapists came to check their psychologic and physical health. My children totally flunked it!
They answered questions with questions.
Therapist : what is your name?
Child: What is your own name?
Therapist : (chuckles ) my name is Mr ABC
Child: Hello Mr AbC.
Therapist : So what is your name?
Child: Why do you want to know my name?
I wasn't there so I didn't know who said it but I can bet my last money it is either Banky or Koko. Those are the only 2 questioners we have in the class.
One of them kept picking all that was on the table.
Demi spat on the therapist. He went ahead and gave him a bad review of course cheesy
Banky was all over the place. Running the therapist ragged.
Koko snobbed them all.
Nam was mute.
Abby refused to go with them. He's a stranger! cheesy
Angie cried.

They'll come back soon enough to see if they'll grow.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Zheemub(f): 8:22pm On Nov 06, 2016
This is where you are.
Good to know you love teaching.
Love to teach but in a medical line.
All the best ma'am

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 7:38pm On Nov 09, 2016
Okay so I'm getting the hang of these Lil naughties.....
We have a love-hate relationship.... grin
Like Banky said when his dad came to pick him.... he turned and said " Mejaina..... I love you. "
His father had raised eyebrow and I was like shocked cos we'd had a pretty tough day together that day.

So we had our Costume Day.
My kids were jumping upandan....
Well Banky came as a sailor.
Mide was a pirate.
Kiki was Dracula
Deel was...... one of Marvel's super hero sha.
Demi was batman
Trey was Superman.
Koko was a fire chief.
IT was a princess.
Buki was a bumble bee
Dara was Doc Mcstuffins
And Mejaina was Minnie Mouse grin

Will load more pictures later but this was Banky and I doing the boogie cheesy

7 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 2:44pm On Nov 14, 2016
Abby is back!!!!!
She went on a trip for 2 whole weeks and was sorely missed by all.

Just found out Banky is a warrior. He's a sicker! But forget it, he has the energy of all the other kids put together. So we were told to pay extra attention to and ache or pain complaints from him.

Ok so Dara, she is quite smart but lazy ( the picky eater). Tell her to write and she goes " I'm a pwincess".....
Yes you are but you still need to write number 8.
"I'm not afraid of anything "
I know you are fearless but you still need to write 8.
" My mommy gives me wayermeyon"
That's it!!!! I laugh for a few seconds bone up and say....
Just write 8!

We read the story of the 3 little pigs and now I'm the big bad wolf. Sometimes I give a really good imitation that scares them shitless....
And you'll find them saying "I'm the biggest and I'm the baddest " cheesy

Our Parent -Teacher Conference is this week.
Say a prayer for Mejaina......

11 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 3:59pm On Nov 14, 2016
About leaving the class and I see them role playing!
Oh My God! They're are imitating me.... cheesy cheesy

Demi; would you like me to read you a story?
Banky, Mide, Dara and AbbY: Yes!
Demi: Ok, tidy up and we'll read a story.
Demi: Arw you ready?
Banky: you need to sit right here. (points to the my spot during story time ) cheesy
Demi: zip it and lock it.... (cue to keep quiet)...,, points to Mide,.... go to the thinking corner. cheesy
Me: you're not the teacher, you don't get to send anyone to the thinking corner...

Everyone has a big grin
These kids!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 1:40am On Nov 16, 2016
Got to work early yesterday cos it's the PTC week and I've got to tidy things up.
I was in the library printing some stuffs when I heard Dara and Buki in the bathroom...
" you have to 'wansh' it well..... like this"
Only for me to enter and find a pool of water flowing.... soapy and flowing from the sink down!.
I stood rooted to the spot, hands over my mouth to keep from screaming or yelling and my eyes popping out!
The little miscreants stood rooted too.... caught in the act... hands clutching the table rag soaked deep in sink with an empty bottle of handwash.( you do realise how soapy those hand wash thingies can be, right?)
We stood there staring at ourselves for like a minute. O was trying to find a way to deal with it without some head breaking.....
Dara snapped out First.
Pointing to Buki, she said...... "she did this". Babe, I can see your chubby hands in the water!
My eyes were twitching already. I came in early to work..... not this work!
Buki said " Dara! No! You made me do it. You told me to"
"No, I didn't "
"Yes you did"
"No...... "
Me: Just zip it! ( I could already imagine where their argument would lead us..... NOWHERE! )
I tell them to step back and they are dripping wet.
Turned around to get a mop and they took off! In wet clothes! This early morning!
Dara was in the lead....
"Get back here this minute! "
"Yes Mejaina. "
So we cleaned up the mess we made and changed into dry clothes and all was well with the world again........

Always heard this but found it unbelievable...... now I'm doing it.
I'm teaching 2-3year olds to read!
I always feel yummy on the inside..... like I could do anything.

Today is Dara's birthday. She clocks 3. kiss
Friday, Banky clocks 3 too kiss

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Zheemub(f): 1:44pm On Nov 16, 2016
Salam zaynie,
How can I teach my son to read. He's three already.
What books can I get him to encourage him reading?
Your reply will be appreciated.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 5:51pm On Nov 16, 2016
Zheemub:
Salam zaynie,
Thanks

Salam Sis.
My son is 4 and he is yet to read too.
Kids differ and progress according to their strength.
Also the school system matters. We focus more on reading and speaking than writing. My son's school focuses more on writing.

The kids that are beginning to read in my class, this is what we do.
We use Jolly phonics to teach. We teach by sounds rather than memorizing spellings.
You can try to get the Jolly phonics handbook. Last I checked, it was like 12,000 naira.
I use this book for my son too but unfortunately he is finding it difficult to transition. It is so painful that I got the book for his school and offered to do free training for their nursery to Grade 2 teachers.
I'm yet to get a positive reply from them.

To encourage him to read, get books with lots of pictures and let him read the pictures. Soon he will familiarize himself with some words.
Also read to him often.

Good luck.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 7:32pm On Nov 16, 2016
Zheemub:
Salam zaynie,
Thanks

In addition to what miss Mejaina- Zaynie said, you can also get Preschool Prep company DVD series for your child.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Zheemub(f): 8:37am On Nov 17, 2016
Thanks zaynie and obioji.
I appreciate your response. Will look into it.
Though he can read and recognise his alphabet and numbers.
Just want to start him on simple sentences so as to improve him on his diction and 'vocabulary'.
Thanks once again
Ma salam

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

KPMG: My Temp Experience / Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.