Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? (1759 Views)

Ooni Performs Ifa Festival Where Kolanut Is Mysteriously Swallowed By Ground(piç / Oro Day: Movement Of Women Restricted In Ikorodu On May 8th 2018 / Any Man Who Sleeps With Ooni's Ex-Queen Will Die If Not Cleansed - Ifa Priest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by Nobody: 12:15am On Oct 06, 2016
Yeah I am beginging to hear A LOT about AAs especially in the city of Atlanta(the commercial capital of black America) praticing Ifa and other African related relgions. Especially the young AAs. I was shocked when people from another site told me this, not only that but people I know from Atlanta said they knew people personally that pratcied African related religions. You even have new rappers like 21 Savage saying that he practices Ifa. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Atlanta Rapper 21 Savage Practices the Ifá Religion
http://www.filterfree.ng/atlanta-rapper-21-savage-practices-the-ifa-religion/

And then I read this old aricle from 2011...
Are Blacks Abandoning Christianity for African Faiths?
http://www.amren.com/news/2011/10/are_blacks_aban/

Me myself am surprised by this but what do you actual Africans think
Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by johnydon22(m): 12:55am On Oct 06, 2016
I love it... its time we shared our own culture and traditions with the rest of the world and not always be the waste bin where every culture and religion gets dumped on.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by Nobody: 1:07am On Oct 06, 2016
johnydon22:
I love it... its time we shared our own culture and traditions with the rest of the world and not always be the waste bin where every culture and religion gets dumped on.

Also Yoruba followers were also said to influence one of Beyonce's recent songs.
http://remezcla.com/features/music/beyonce-lemonade-yoruba/
Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by Nobody: 4:21am On Oct 06, 2016
KidStranglehold:
Yeah I am beginging to hear A LOT about AAs especially in the city of Atlanta(the commercial capital of black America) praticing Ifa and other African related relgions. Especially the young AAs. I was shocked when people from another site told me this, not only that but people I know from Atlanta said they knew people personally that pratcied African related religions. You even have new rappers like 21 Savage saying that he practices Ifa. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Atlanta Rapper 21 Savage Practices the Ifá Religion
http://www.filterfree.ng/atlanta-rapper-21-savage-practices-the-ifa-religion/

And then I read this old aricle from 2011...
Are Blacks Abandoning Christianity for African Faiths?
http://www.amren.com/news/2011/10/are_blacks_aban/

Me myself am surprised by this but what do you actual Africans think

I see the next generation of African Wizards will be coming from the US. The opposite is happening in Africa. Not sure those African ancestral spirits will be able to adopt to the American culture and way of life though.

Gatiano should be pleased to hear of this development.

3 Likes

Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by Nobody: 6:23am On Oct 06, 2016
Muafrika2:

I see the next generation of African Wizards will be coming from the US. The opposite is happening in Africa. Not sure those African ancestral spirits will be able to adopt to the American culture and way of life though.

People from the other site said that the blacks in Atlanta are getting it from Nigerians but also Mexicans(Mexicans practice Santeria believe it or not and slaves were also taken there). And yeah I notice for some reason(no disrespect to Africans) that blacks of the diaspora are holding in to African spirituality compared to Africans from the continent.

3 Likes

Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 06, 2016
KidStranglehold:

People from the other site said that the blacks in Atlanta are getting it from Nigerians but also Mexicans(Mexicans practice Santeria believe it or not and slaves were also taken there). And yeah I notice for some reason(no disrespect to Africans) that blacks of the diaspora are holding in to African spirituality compared to Africans from the continent.

That includes cultural activities and values. It works like this, as Africans discover western education and culture (this excludes religion Christianity because I do not support the idea that it is Western) they recent their own culture. But as they progress in enlightenment, they begin to appreciate themselves and their culture. So in Africa, it's mostly the elites and the uneducated that value culture.

1 Like

Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by YonkijiSappo: 10:20am On Oct 06, 2016
Muafrika2:

That includes cultural activities and values. It works like this, as Africans discover western education and culture (this excludes religion Christianity because I do not support the idea that it is Western) they recent their own culture. But as they progress in enlightenment, they begin to appreciate themselves and their culture. So in Africa, it's mostly the elites and the uneducated that value culture.

Yup.
The Super educated who have had a chance to see/study a lot, and unprivileged who have experienced nothing else.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by gatiano(m): 10:54pm On Oct 06, 2016
xaxa, I'm not to be pleased, It is what is already written in the scripture. Sons would be united with their fathers, father to their sons. As for Africans, If we all notice and observant, We copy what the African Americans do, We want to talk like them, bounce walk/step like them, we are now rapping, doing hiphop etc. The African Americans, Jamaicans, Black Brazilians, Black French are now ruling the world's electromagnetic field, they are ruling mentally and pretty soon, they would economically, intellectually(already) etc. Africans would eventually follow suit; remember the story of the prodical son?

Muafrika2:

1 Like

Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by gatiano(m): 11:06pm On Oct 06, 2016
Not only from Nigeria (Ifa) or Cuba/Mexico(Santeria/Kondomble) but from everywhere across Africa, Arabia/Palestine(Blacks), Ethiopia, Ancient Kemet and Nilo knowledge, Ancient Black knowledge from India, The Ancient Teoti-wakan knowledge a little after Olmec civilization etc. The High/Chief priests would go on there to reveal the truth to them or send an initiated person; from them, Africans back home like me get the knowledge.

Olu-Ifa/Olu-Afa/Ifa/Afa is the ancient language of the Ancient Idu confederacy thousands of years ago. These language slowly became dialects which form languages of the Igbo, Yoruba, Akan/Ashanti, Hausa, Ga, Fon, etc (The entire south of West Africa)- By Dibia (Igbo Priest and Scientist)- Nze ChukwukaDibia E. Nwafor.

KidStranglehold:

Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by bigfrancis21: 5:30pm On Oct 07, 2016
Some diasporan blacks embrace African cultures in their attempt to reconnect to their roots, and the Ifa Yoruba religion is often the first available african religion they find. The Yorubas were the last tribe to arrive in Latin America, around the time slave trade was abolished and slave laws had terribly weakened and slave freedom was allowed. For example, the entire Ketu village of Benin republic was raided during the Dahomey wars with Oyo kingdom during the mid 1800s (around the time slavery was abolished) and its inhabitants, as many as 20,000 of them, were transported to Latin America. The late-arriving Yorubas did not undergo cultural strapping as much as others who arrived at the peak of slavery did. Furthermore, still being fresh from home, many traced their way back to Nigeria. Some returned to Freetown Sierra Leone.

Blacks that embrace Ifa do so for the sense of cultural connection it gives them. It doesn't mean, however, that all practitioners are Yorubas by ancestry. It is for that sense of connection to mama Africa.

Diaspora blacks are embracing African culture while Africans in their territory are abhorring their native religions for the Oyibo man's own.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Guys Thoughts On Growing Movement Of African-americans Practicing Ifa? by gatiano(m): 5:51pm On Oct 07, 2016
Ifa is not Yoruba's religion. If it is then we must understand what Ifa really means. There is no knowing who was taken at what time, whether first or last etc. The real truth is that nobody could really venture into Africa (West-Africa), until the mid 1800s. African weren't fools like that until about 1800s. No Arabs or europeans conquered us as the world wants us to believe, and soon we will have to face the ugly truth of how African really fell. They just came in to take the spoils without a fight.

bigfrancis21:
Some diasporan blacks embrace African cultures in their attempt to reconnect to their roots, and the Ifa Yoruba religion is often the first available african religion they find. The Yorubas were the last tribe to arrive in Latin America, around the time slave trade was abolished and slave laws had terribly weakened and slave freedom was allowed. For example, the entire Ketu village of Benin republic was raided during the Dahomey wars with Oyo kingdom and its inhabitants, as many as 20,000 of them, were transported to Latin America. The late-arriving Yorubas did not undergo cultural strapping as much as others who arrived at the peak of slavery did. Furthermore, still being fresh from home, many traced their way back to Nigeria. Some returned to Freetown Sierra Leone.

Blacks that embrace Ifa do so for the sense of cultural connection it gives them. It doesn't mean, however, that all practitioners are Yorubas by ancestry. It is for that sense of connection to mama Africa.

Diaspora blacks are embracing African culture while Africans in their territory are abhorring their native religions for the Oyibo man's own.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Benin Empire : Science And Technology / Did You Know That Parents Still Give Their Children Up To 10 Names ? / Can Somebody Translate These Into Ngwa Dialect?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.