Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,793 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. (27156 Views)

Watch:Reason Why You Shouldn't Buy A Lamborghini Murcielago If You're A Big Man / For The Bikers - When You Suddenly Realize You're Following Too Closely / New FRSC Rule On Drivers License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by laivwire(m): 5:10pm On Oct 06, 2016
I had an early morning trip about a month ago so I set out of the house around 6am. It was still a little dark and there were light showers. I eased out of my area into the highway and cruised t about 60kmph on the fast lane.

Scene of accident
A woman wanted to turn off from the slow lane into a roadside church but was obstructed by a taxi man who made an abrupt turn into the road after picking a passenger. Through instinct or whatever, the lady swiftly turned back and right into the fast lane which was a clear road from where I was coming from. I slammed o. The brakes but the short time difference, distance and slippery road just had my truck screeching until I Emmys her from behind. I was driving a Hilux and both headlamps and fender got smashed on impact while her Honda had no boot again. She came out apologizing for her error but 30 mins later the story had changed to me be being guilty cos I hit her from behind. These allegations were by new passers by who didn't witness the incident. Eventually I had to part with 30k to fix her car and walk away with my damages.

Which rule states that as long as you hit from behind you're guilty no matter the circumstances? I need clarity please

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DelTel(m): 6:37pm On Oct 06, 2016
laivwire:
I had an early morning trip about a month ago so I set out of the house around 6am. It was still a little dark and there were light showers. I eased out of my area into the highway and cruised t about 60kmph on the fast lane.

Scene of accident
A woman wanted to turn off from the slow lane into a roadside church but was obstructed by a taxi man who made an abrupt turn into the road after picking a passenger. Through instinct or whatever, the lady swiftly turned back and right into the fast lane which was a clear road from where I was coming from. I slammed o. The brakes but the short time difference, distance and slippery road just had my truck screeching until I Emmys her from behind. I was driving a Hilux and both headlamps and fender got smashed on impact while her Honda had no boot again. She came out apologizing for her error but 30 mins later the story had changed to me be being guilty cos I hit her from behind. These allegations were by new passers by who didn't witness the incident. Eventually I had to part with 30k to fix her car and walk away with my damages.

Which rule states that as long as you hit from behind you're guilty no matter the circumstances? I need clarity please

Its rightly so because of some reasons:

- you are expected to be able to bring your car to a halt immediately in case of emergency, meaning you should drive cautiously (at reasonable speed limit) even if on a highway.

- you are expected to anticipate and appreciate other road users would be using the road hence be cautious.

- before you could have hit her from behind and not her hitting your side, then she was totally in front of you.

In all, road users should have in mind that other road users are either not concentrating or inexperienced (my take).

Finally, subscribe to a Comprehensive motor vehicle insurance from a reputable insurance company, its affordable (max 4% of car value) and covers both your vehicle and the other party and doesn't even penalise for negligence in Nigeria as of now. So take advantage especially in this recession period.

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:35pm On Oct 06, 2016
laivwire:

Scene of accident

yes along you from hit someone from behind you are 95% wrong based on the distance rule of the car in front of you

but there are situation whereby yourself you have been hit from behind by a another and your car is forced into the car in front of you

but on what i read here it seems most people buy licences with even knowing and understanding the "highway code book" i wouldnt know what it is called in nigeria

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Whizpeter(m): 8:35pm On Oct 06, 2016
I would be back

MODIFIED

I'm back and I don't even know what to say!!
But to avoid circumstances like this, pay total concentration to the road and other users!!

Many are mad, and a good number of them are driving!

Stay safe...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by nurey(m): 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2016
Seems so people miss read books or law just suit themselves, hitting a Car from behind doesn't justify you are at fault.

I was heading to V. I one day and was doing around 40km/h at Osborne road just after the street light a 2014 land cruiser was by my right and I was speeding to over take when an slowpoke driving a Lexus just cut out from corner, the carina e in front of the land cruiser dodge but the land cruiser driver continue his speed suddenly the Lexus slowed down to enter another corner the land cruiser just swayed directly into my front. I suddenly depress the brake, car didn't brake early, released and depress again, but I kissed the land cruiser Sha. The madam just said driver should go out and look whether I damaged the car or not, I was like wtf u just burst into my front like that, he Apologized Sha saying it's not his fault.

So now tell me, if someone suddenly comes into your front, and you hit their car just like my situation are you saying I am still at fault?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:54pm On Oct 06, 2016
nurey:
Seems so people miss read books or law just suit themselves, hitting a Car from behind doesn't justify you are at fault.

I was heading to V. I one day and was doing around 40km/h at Osborne road just after the street light a 2014 land cruiser was by my right and I was speeding to over take when an slowpoke driving a Lexus just cut out from corner, the carina e in front of the land cruiser dodge but the land cruiser driver continue his speed suddenly the Lexus slowed down to enter another corner the land cruiser just swayed directly into my front. I suddenly depress the brake, car didn't brake early, released and depress again, but I kissed the land cruiser Sha. The madam just said driver should go out and look whether I damaged the car or not, I was like wtf u just burst into my front like that, he Apologized Sha saying it's not his fault.

So now tell me, if someone suddenly comes into your front, and you hit their car just like my situation are you saying I am still at fault?

you were at faulty before i even explain being hit from an side angle

how can you overtake close to right or left turn ?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by nurey(m): 9:07pm On Oct 06, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

you were at faulty before i even explain being hit from an side angle

how can you overtake close to right or left turn ?

Haba Bros, just like that. It's a two Lane carriage, I at the left land cruiser by the right. I maintained left because there are several corners/junctions by the right and I know most Lagos drivers are psychiatric patients bursting out from corner without thought of safety for other road users.

Besides when has overtaking another vehicle at recommended speed a crime?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:08pm On Oct 06, 2016
nurey:

with this poor Driving skills, you want to ride powerbike? R.I.P in advance grin grin

7 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by nurey(m): 9:23pm On Oct 06, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

with this poor Driving skills, you want to ride powerbike? R.I.P in advance grin grin

look here young man angry i have 10 solid years of experience in car driving, i did my undergraduate in Midtown madness school of driving, i did 1 year industrial training with EA sports road rash, where i was the best among the rest cheesy, i then did my MSC in Midtown madness 2, where i was awarded the Knight of the Highway, a feat like no other wink. I did my Phd with Need for Speed cool breaking many titles from most wanted to shift, underground, hot pursuit to the unending saga of the No rivals, where i earned King of the road grin. so dont tell me my driving skills are poor.

On a lighter note, if a car jumps in front of you unannounced and you slam it from behind, i dont think you should be blamed though the law may not agree with my statement. besides i only kissed the land cruiser reason while i am still a free man, i dont even want to know the price of the bumper not to talk of the boot shocked.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 06, 2016
lol.
It is actually abused, but it all depends_ there is how it would play out and the person would most definitely be at fault.
*People that jump into the road/lane without looking.
*Those ones that step on their brakes like say bomb dey inside their head... etc

By the way, why is it that all the men that hit my car always tell me to call my husband, say them one discuss man to man...is my husband a panel-beater? undecided

76 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by diportivo: 11:29pm On Oct 06, 2016
PaperLace:
..is my husband a panel-beater? undecided

Are u asking us

If yes,then I honestly don't know grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:06am On Oct 07, 2016
nurey:

Haba Bros, just like that. It's a two Lane carriage, I at the left land cruiser by the right. I maintained left because there are several corners/junctions by the right and I know most Lagos drivers are psychiatric patients bursting out from corner without thought of safety for other road users.

Besides when has overtaking another vehicle at recommended speed a crime?

not a crime but violation of the highway code hence you get fined

speeding is not the only violation you can do while driving

there is dangerous driving without due car to other road users

here driving slowly in certain situations can be

it might be wrong but you sound like those guy who never read to went to driving skol to learn to drive

corruption and automatic cars are killing me, one learns to drive within a day but doesnt know road rules and gets money to buy a licence

so imagine people like that driving

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 07, 2016
PaperLace:
lol.
It is actually abused, but it all depends_ there is how it would play out and the person would most definitely be at fault.
*Those ones that step on their brakes like say bomb dey inside their head... etc

By the way, why is it that all the men that hit my car always tell me to call my husband, say them one discuss man to man...is my husband a panel-beater?
undecided

The country is very much a patriarchal society. Those men felt you knew very little about cars/accidents.

5 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:20am On Oct 07, 2016
PaperLace:
lol.

By the way, why is it that all the men that hit my car always tell me to call my husband, say them one discuss man to man...is my husband a panel-beater? undecided

who can know?
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by laivwire(m): 7:38am On Oct 07, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

yes along you from hit someone from behind you are 95% wrong based on the distance rule of the car in front of you

but there are situation whereby yourself you have been hit from behind by a another and your car is forced into the car in front of you

but on what i read here it seems most people buy licences with even knowing and understanding the "highway code book" i wouldnt know what it is called in nigeria
Well the road in front was clear for me, she dove in at the last possible second and the site of impact was to her rear left end. Honestly I feel she was clearly at fault as no superman could stop my vehicle within a split second as such. I guess gender quality issues played a role there too though but lesson learned nonetheless.

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by MightyThor(m): 8:31am On Oct 07, 2016
I agree that it is being abused, however one way to prove your innocent is by providing evidence. I was watching a documentary on road accidents and insurance claims and one good idea I picked up is to install DashCam (Dash board camera that records everything in front of your car both audio and video) with this you can provide evidence if your wrongly accused of rear collision.

Another good reason for the dashcam is for those boys in black (Police) if they start making silly demands on the highway.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:36am On Oct 07, 2016
MightyThor:
I agree that it is being abused, however one way to prove your innocent is by providing evidence. I was watching a documentary on road accidents and insurance claims and one good idea I picked up is to install DashCam (Dash board camera that records everything in front of your car both audio and video) with this you can provide evidence if your wrongly accused of rear collision.

Another good reason for the dashcam is for those boys in black (Police) if they start making silly demands on the highway.

I use a small motion detection HD spy cam, works wonders. Since it is motion detection activated it also serves as my security cam when I'm not in the car. Iv used it to catch a street thief before grin

It comes with sticky tape.

32more available if interested call 08033910382

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by MightyThor(m): 10:42am On Oct 07, 2016
^^^ That is in did a spy cam!

what is the power source like?

How long can it run continuously?

Cost please ?

Oga Gazzuzz your a respected chairman on this forum so put the cost.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:25am On Oct 07, 2016
MightyThor:
^^^ That is in did a spy cam!

what is the power source like?

How long can it run continuously?

Cost please ?

Oga Gazzuzz your a respected chairman on this forum so put the cost.

Please do not post adverts in this section, to avoid being banned. tongue

1 down, 2 to Go

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 07, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

who can know?
diportivo:

Are u asking us
If yes,then I honestly don't know grin
lols.
He isn't. angry
I was just wondering if there is how you male folks settle such issues over a bottle of beer. Maybe, I am getting the tactics wrong...

CFCman:

The country is very much a patriarchal society. Those men felt you knew very little about cars/accidents.
Is it now my husband that will know? Is he a panel-beater?...hehe
One told me "madam, I don't have any talk with woman" (in igbo, translate it and see how rude it sounded).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:30pm On Oct 07, 2016
laivwire:

Well the road in front was clear for me, she dove in at the last possible second and the site of impact was to her rear left end. Honestly I feel she was clearly at fault as no superman could stop my vehicle within a split second as such. I guess gender quality issues played a role there too though but lesson learned nonetheless.

i might be wrong becoz i cant clearly get the picture in my how the situation was

but having a clear road ahead still doesnt mean you had the right to overtake what if there was danger from the left or right during overtaking though the road ahead is clear

in UK they introduced what is called hazard perception

many people here they would fail, it test you to dangers that might in the road even when you have the right of way and when your still driving normal its about about anticipating dangers and making right decision to avoid them in time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqA9b1ANo0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIx_u9IQFVM

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I use a small motion detection HD spy cam, works wonders. Since it is motion detection activated it also serves as my security cam when I'm not in the car. Iv used it to catch a street thief before grin

It comes with sticky tape.

32more available if interested call 08033910382

I'm not interested in the spy cam grin.
You married?
I admire handy men...nothing personal. Okay...bye angry
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Danfuster(m): 8:59am On Oct 08, 2016
PaperLace:

You married?

The emboldened is one of the many why's we will never achieve any feet understanding women. See height of confusion, first she asked if he's married then proceed to the admiring part only to try to debunk it with the word "nothing personal", now that's an OXYMORON...yet she still wanna know why they keep asking to speak with her husband when she's in a mild accident...women and confusion are like that Zuma pic, take them seriously at your own peril.

Oh! Wait... Nothing personal. Okay bye tongue

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by nurey(m): 8:59am On Oct 08, 2016
PaperLace:

You married?

Oga gazzuzz you have a crush, but don't let her crush you with her jeep oooo. She loves you but we love you more

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:16am On Oct 08, 2016
PaperLace:

You married?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4326966_img20161007103431_jpeg7e872de2d48badb9493c63064e35d92d

She de look you with side eye sef grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4330721_ryrpcpq_gifb48287c87914e8f395281e45a7a320ee

6 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 08, 2016
Danfuster:

The emboldened is one of the many why's we will never achieve any feet understanding women. See height of confusion, first she asked if he's married then proceed to the admiring part only to try to debunk it with the word "nothing personal", now that's an OXYMORON...yet she still wanna know why they keep asking to speak with her husband when she's in a mild accident...women and confusion are like that Zuma pic, take them seriously at your own peril.

Oh! Wait... Nothing personal. Okay bye tongue
lol. The country is complicated enough, let's not complicate it further. I used to follow his POST with my old account, never seen anything like married_ I say make I ask na.
Yea, nothing personal tongue.
Take him from auto repairs to medical line, I wouldn't be attracted again. The attraction is strictly because of his occupation...I love 'car guys'.

nurey:

Oga gazz uzz you have a crush, but don't let her crush you with her jeep oooo. She loves you but we love you more
Emm...I like you too (nothing personal)and a whole lot of car talk guys. His own just got kinda complicated because he is married.
Are you also married? lipsrsealed

GAZZUZZ:

She de look you with side eye sef grin
Very nice/bold ring.
Nice fingers too_ you don't get to touch them engines and all that?
I expected something rough.
She should have no fear, I am married too... grin

Let's not derail jare

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by nurey(m): 2:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
PaperLace:

lol. The country is complicated enough, let's not complicate it further. I used to follow his POST with my old account, never seen anything like married_ I say make I ask na.
Yea, nothing personal tongue.
Take him from auto repairs to medical line, I wouldn't be attracted again. The attraction is strictly because of his occupation...I love 'car guys'.

Emm...I like you too (nothing personal)and a whole lot of car talk guys. His own just got kinda complicated because he is married.
Are you also married? lipsrsealed

Very nice/bold ring.
Nice fingers too_ you don't get to touch them engines and all that?
I expected something rough.
She should have no fear, I am married too... grin

Let's not derail jare

I am not married but I am not the kind of guy you think oooo, I am young, insecure, still live with my parents and worst of all I like em Asian (Japanese girls). Lol

4 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Originalsly: 5:37pm On Oct 08, 2016
@Op.... by your own admission the accident could have been avoided. You were driving too fast for the road condition.... you admitted the wet road prevented you from stopping earlier. You were concerned with the lane ahead of you only... not with what was happening in the other lanes.... not being aware of what is happening around you... not in a position to anticipate and apply safety measures to avoid an accident. It is called defensive driving... and this is lacking in most drivers. Hitting a vehicle from the back... you are wrong...almost always wrong. I have an old car... cannot be sold... soooo many problems... spending wayyyy too much to keep in driving condition... what can I do?.... get on the highway.... struggle to clock 60kph with someone like you on my tail... then slam the brake. Do I have to give a reason why I suddenly stopped?..oh well... got stung by a bee. Guess who is at fault?

8 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nutase: 6:33am On Oct 09, 2016
Liar
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nairadays: 6:36am On Oct 09, 2016
Is there no FRSC law of Nigeria that states categorically the offender in this case? That will help the OP.

One rule though when you mount the wheels is that, not every body on the road is sane.

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by nmreports: 6:36am On Oct 09, 2016
Sorry about this bro laivwire.
Was the woman silent when people started to blame you?.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Marvyx(m): 6:37am On Oct 09, 2016
Well it seems from the various posts that you are at fault.... So sorry tongue

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW / Would You Buy This Maybach Smart Fortwo? (photos) / Brabus 900 Unveiled As The Most Powerful V12 Off-roader In The World (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.