Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. (27159 Views)

Watch:Reason Why You Shouldn't Buy A Lamborghini Murcielago If You're A Big Man / For The Bikers - When You Suddenly Realize You're Following Too Closely / New FRSC Rule On Drivers License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by EternalBeing: 6:40am On Oct 09, 2016
g
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by eddiegate(m): 6:40am On Oct 09, 2016
Bros there's more to that story....for this buhari period if I hear say you parted with 30k just like that Na me know ..

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Summer7: 6:44am On Oct 09, 2016
How can you avoid such when there are no road signs and everyone drives bumper to bumper. Sorry ooo, it's inevitable

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by adedayoa2(f): 6:46am On Oct 09, 2016
nurey:

look here young man angry i have 10 solid years of experience in car driving, i did my undergraduate in Midtown madness school of driving, i did 1 year industrial training with EA sports road rash, where i was the best among the rest cheesy, i then did my MSC in Midtown madness 2, where i was awarded the Knight of the Highway, a feat like no other wink. I did my Phd with Need for Speed cool breaking many titles from most wanted to shift, underground, hot pursuit to the unending saga of the No rivals, where i earned King of the road grin. so dont tell me my driving skills are poor.

On a lighter note, if a car jumps in front of you unannounced and you slam it from behind, i dont think you should be blamed though the law may not agree with my statement. besides i only kissed the land cruiser reason while i am still a free man, i dont even want to know the price of the bumper not to talk of the boot shocked.
now a professor in mid town madness what? Anyway sometimes I wonder how this thing works.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by namuguibe(m): 6:54am On Oct 09, 2016
@Laivwire : It is unfortunate. However, since you ran into her, you are still at fault. If you had a dash cam and it showed her reversing unto you then you may have a case.
PS: You will make 60K next week and will be laughing at this thing so don't worry.

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by mfm04622: 7:09am On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

Its rightly so because of some reasons:

- you are expected to be able to bring your car to a halt immediately in case of emergency, meaning you should drive cautiously (at reasonable speed limit) even if on a highway.

- you are expected to anticipate and appreciate other road users would be using the road hence be cautious.

- before you could have hit her from behind and not her hitting your side, then she was totally in front of you.

In all, road users should have in mind that other road users are either not concentrating or inexperienced (my take).

Finally, subscribe to a Comprehensive motor vehicle insurance from a reputable insurance company, its affordable (max 4% of car value) and covers both your vehicle and the other party and doesn't even penalise for negligence in Nigeria as of now. So take advantage especially in this recession period.

Oga, did you read the story at all?
1) She was on the SLOW Lane.
2) without warning, she moved into the fast lane from nearly stationary position.

The OP was not liable. All what you wrote is okay for you car already in front of you since you are required to keep adequate distance to enable you stop without hitting the car in front. For any car that just zoomed into your front, you are NOT liable. Simple. Nobody expect you to start calculating for cars on different lanes than yours. You have priority and right of way on your lane over any other car.

8 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 09, 2016
Lol very funny look at my people driving at 40-60KMPH and still hitting people.

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by mfm04622: 7:17am On Oct 09, 2016
Originalsly:
@Op.... by your own admission the accident could have been avoided. You were driving too fast for the road condition.... you admitted the wet road prevented you from stopping earlier. You were concerned with the lane ahead of you only... not with what was happening in the other lanes.... not being aware of what is happening around you... not in a position to anticipate and apply safety measures to avoid an accident. It is called defensive driving... and this is lacking in most drivers. Hitting a vehicle from the back... you are wrong...almost always wrong. I have an old car... cannot be sold... soooo many problems... spending wayyyy too much to keep in driving condition... what can I do?.... get on the highway.... struggle to clock 60kph with someone like you on my tail... then slam the brake. Do I have to give a reason why I suddenly stopped?..oh well... got stung by a bee. Guess who is at fault?

Die we read the OP's story at all? The OP hit someone that just changed Lane WITHOUT warning! So we should become mind readers while driving to know when people will change lane without warning?

3 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by pedel: 7:23am On Oct 09, 2016
The woman supposed to enter the fast lane only when she is able to match the speed of the car already on that lane.
I don't know what driving school many of you people learnt your driving from.
What she did is under reckless or dangerous driving offence.
Mirror, Signal, Maneuver is the rule.
Assuming she jumped out in front of a petrol tanker or dangote truck all those people blaming the op would be typing RIP already.
OP, you were just a victim of a bad, corrupt and uninformed system.

6 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by ceasare: 7:32am On Oct 09, 2016
pedel:
The woman supposed to enter the fast lane only when she is able to match the speed of the car already on that lane.
I don't know what driving school many of you people learnt your driving from.
What she did is under reckless or dangerous driving offence.
Mirror, Signal, Maneuver is the rule.
Assuming she jumped out in front of a petrol tanker or dangote truck all those people blaming the op would be typing RIP already.
OP, you were just a victim of a bad, corrupt and uninformed system.

Danfo drivers in Lagos are the worst guilty of such offence.wonder where they got the information that if u hit them from back you guilty when they just jump in front of you with abandon recklessness in a flash and can break anytime just to pick n drop passengers.nigerian law is really funny o!
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by pedel: 7:38am On Oct 09, 2016
mfm04622:

2) without warning, she moved into the fast lane from nearly stationary position.

The OP was not liable. All what you wrote is okay for you car already in front of you since you are required to keep adequate distance to enable you stop without hitting the car in front. For any car that just zoomed into your front, you are NOT liable. Simple. Nobody expect you to start calculating for cars on different lanes than yours. You have priority and right of way on your lane over any other car.

Thanks for educating the lunatics driving on our road. From this your statement it's obvious you didn't learn how to drive in Nigeria.
The OP was just robbed of his 30k.
The woman supposed to make sure that the lane she want to join is safe.

When pulling into moving traffic, time your move carefully and accelerate quickly so you don't force oncoming drivers to hit their brakes. Be patient and wait for a big opening, then hit it! If the traffic is moving at 60 mph (97 km/h) and it takes you a leisurely 30 seconds to get up to speed, you'll need almost half a mile of empty highway to avoid endangering or irritating other drivers.

3 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by ogocology: 7:45am On Oct 09, 2016
mfm04622:

Bros don't mind them. Nairaland is full of folks who love to judge.
According to the post, he wasn't liable.
I remember one morning when a bike man rubbed all the flesh on his left leg into oblivion by grinding himself from my front signal light to the rear. His bike was toast but the leg was worse.
I had the front left and rear lights broken as well as a nasty scratch along the whole left side of that lovely '01 Camry. The left mirror was also missing.
At first, everyone knew it was his fault.
10 minutes later, 'new' judges appeared. One look at the guy's leg and they started screaming that I must take the guy to the hospital first, that that was the position of 'the law'.
I calmly scanned the area for my mirror, found it and dared anyone who thinks its my fault to stand in my way.
I spent over 30k on lights and paint job to fix the car.
I later learned the bike man hurried away as soon as I left

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by uvalued(m): 7:54am On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

- you are expected to be able to bring your car to a halt immediately in case of emergency, meaning you should drive cautiously (at reasonable speed limit) even if on a highway.

- you are expected to anticipate and appreciate other road users would be using the road hence be cautious.

- before you could have hit her from behind and not her hitting your side, then she was totally in front of you.

In all, road users should have in mind that other road users are either not concentrating or inexperienced (my take).

Finally, subscribe to a Comprehensive motor vehicle insurance from a reputable insurance company, its affordable (max 4% of car value) and covers both your vehicle and the other party and doesn't even penalise for negligence in Nigeria as of now. So take advantage especially in this recession period.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DelTel(m): 7:55am On Oct 09, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

i might be wrong becoz i cant clearly get the picture in my how the situation was
but having a clear road ahead still doesnt mean you had the right to overtake what if there was danger from the left or right during overtaking though the road ahead is clear
in UK they introduced what is called hazard perception
many people here they would fail, it test you to dangers that might in the road even when you have the right of way and when your still driving normal its about about anticipating dangers and making right decision to avoid them in time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqA9b1ANo0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIx_u9IQFVM
mfm04622:

Big Oga, I want to believe you have not seen the video above.

Every road user has to anticipate (calculate make I use ur word) other cars and road users (be it biker, pedestrian -including a KID who might jaywalk though illegal); reason why 100% concentration is required while handling the wheel, no handling with gadgets, eating (if our govt were to be serious, they should be thinking of adding talking to the list with the way Nigerian drive! grin)

How would you feel if a faster car than yours zooooooooms off beside you when you get to change lane to your so-labelled SLOW lane? The fast car owner too can claim no car in front of him right?

Pls lets consider other road-users and reduce the accidents on our road. Most accidents are caused by impatience and disregard for others with our "i-own-the-road" mentality.

Safe and defensive driving reduces accidents and damage to our cars which invariably affects our pockets.

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nnamdikalu: 7:57am On Oct 09, 2016
PaperLace:
lol.
It is actually abused, but it all depends_ there is how it would play out and the person would most definitely be at fault.
*People that jump into the road/lane without looking.
*Those ones that step on their brakes like say bomb dey inside their head... etc

By the way, why is it that all the men that hit my car always tell me to call my husband, say them one discuss man to man...is my husband a panel-beater? undecided
Yes,he panel beats you at night on top of your matrimonial bed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by chachanga: 8:00am On Oct 09, 2016
From singing "Bumper2Bumper" songs, to hosting mega traffic jams in our metropolitan city centers, we've tailoring our driving to Bumper2Bumper driving.

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by EyeofHorus: 8:01am On Oct 09, 2016
OP is not at fault. A speed lane is suppose to have a free traffic flow as long as it's a straight road.

I once hit a man just like the op did. Next time, he will never run into speed lane again. One side of his trunk with chassis n one door destroyed.

I paid nothing at all. I'm sure he will never try it again. grin
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

with this poor Driving skills, you want to ride powerbike? R.I.P in advance grin grin
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by deltateam: 8:18am On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

Dont come here and blow yeye grammar. Nigeria insurance company is poo just like its pension service. If you are renewing your Vehicle licence you pay for insurance too.

In a sensible country this should be cover enough but unfortunately Nigeria is a zoo.

It's just like paying for your transcript during clearance only to pay again for it when you require it. Bunch of assholes.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DelTel(m): 8:24am On Oct 09, 2016
EyeofHorus:
OP is not at fault. A speed lane is suppose to have a free traffic flow as long as it's a straight road.
I once hit a man just like the op did. Next time, he will never run into speed lane again. One side of his trunk with chassis n one door destroyed.
I paid nothing at all. I'm sure he will never try it again. grin
ogocology:

Bros don't mind them. Nairaland is full of folks who love to judge.
According to the post, he wasn't liable.
I remember one morning when a bike man rubbed all the flesh on his left leg into oblivion by grinding himself from my front signal light to the rear. His bike was toast but the leg was worse.
I had the front left and rear lights broken as well as a nasty scratch along the whole left side of that lovely '01 Camry. The left mirror was also missing.
At first, everyone knew it was his fault.
10 minutes later, 'new' judges appeared. One look at the guy's leg and they started screaming that I must take the guy to the hospital first, that that was the position of 'the law'.
I calmly scanned the area for my mirror, found it and dared anyone who thinks its my fault to stand in my way.
I spent over 30k on lights and paint job to fix the car.
I later learned the bike man hurried away as soon as I left

"One side of his trunk with chassis n one door destroyed"

"I had the front left and rear lights broken as well as a nasty scratch along the whole left side of that lovely '01 Camry"

"before you could have hit her from behind and not her hitting your side, then she was totally in front of you"

"until I Emmys her from behind"

Pls juxtapose the above quoted statements.

Can you say "side of a trunk and one door" with "front left and rear lights plus scratch along whole left side" same as "behind"; pls let's understand statements before jumping to conclusions.

The Facts (or statements) before us are different from what your stories are.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by eyinjuege: 8:33am On Oct 09, 2016
Originalsly:
@Op.... by your own admission the accident could have been avoided. You were driving too fast for the road condition.... you admitted the wet road prevented you from stopping earlier. You were concerned with the lane ahead of you only... not with what was happening in the other lanes.... not being aware of what is happening around you... not in a position to anticipate and apply safety measures to avoid an accident. It is called defensive driving... and this is lacking in most drivers. Hitting a vehicle from the back... you are wrong...almost always wrong. I have an old car... cannot be sold... soooo many problems... spending wayyyy too much to keep in driving condition... what can I do?.... get on the highway.... struggle to clock 60kph with someone like you on my tail... then slam the brake. Do I have to give a reason why I suddenly stopped?..oh well... got stung by a bee. Guess who is at fault?

The bee?
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Osakah24(m): 8:38am On Oct 09, 2016
PaperLace:
lol.
It is actually abused, but it all depends_ there is how it would play out and the person would most definitely be at fault.
*Those ones that step on their brakes like say bomb dey inside their head... etc

By the way, why is it that all the men that hit my car always tell me to call my husband, say them one discuss man to man...is my husband a panel-beater? undecided
Men believe that other men in one way or the other have obtained help before and will be easier to understand
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by perryy(m): 8:40am On Oct 09, 2016
PaperLace:
lol.

If u are a Very slim woman, men will always take your husband for a panel beater . This is because only a panel beater can beat a woman of child bearing age to such shape . Madam are u slim ?
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DelTel(m): 8:40am On Oct 09, 2016
deltateam:

Dont come here and blow yeye grammar. Nigeria insurance company is poo just like its pension service. If you are renewing your Vehicle licence you pay for insurance too.

In a sensible country this should be cover enough but unfortunately Nigeria is a zoo.

It's just like paying for your transcript during clearance only to pay again for it when you require it. Bunch of assholes.

I am sorry if any insurance and/or pension compan(ies) has wronged you, pls report to NAICOM and PENCOM respectively, and also bring it here to name&shame the particular firm with evidence. Of course, bad eggs might exists that's why I used the word reputable.

Meanwhile, payment for renewal of vehicle license no be same as insurance abeg nau.

On a lighter note, pls what part of the zoo do you reside grin; our jungle will mature if and when we all start acting right, call to order when you feel someone or an institution is wrong.

Regards

3 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by delishpot: 8:42am On Oct 09, 2016
Danfuster:

The emboldened is one of the many why's we will never achieve any feet understanding women. See height of confusion, first she asked if he's married then proceed to the admiring part only to try to debunk it with the word "nothing personal", now that's an OXYMORON...yet she still wanna know why they keep asking to speak with her husband when she's in a mild accident...women and confusion are like that Zuma pic, take them seriously at your own peril.

Oh! Wait... Nothing personal. Okay bye tongue

E tire me o
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by BuddhaPalm(m): 8:47am On Oct 09, 2016
CFCman:

The country is very much a patriarchal society. Those men felt you knew very little about cars/accidents.

You've not had a "conversation" with a hysterical woman before...

And woman are not very good decision makers. They'd rather a male handle it.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by deuce07(m): 9:12am On Oct 09, 2016
nurey:
Seems so people miss read books or law just suit themselves, hitting a Car from behind doesn't justify you are at fault.

I was heading to V. I one day and was doing around 40km/h at Osborne road just after the street light a 2014 land cruiser was by my right and I was speeding to over take when an slowpoke driving a Lexus just cut out from corner, the carina e in front of the land cruiser dodge but the land cruiser driver continue his speed suddenly the Lexus slowed down to enter another corner the land cruiser just swayed directly into my front. I suddenly depress the brake, car didn't brake early, released and depress again, but I kissed the land cruiser Sha. The madam just said driver should go out and look whether I damaged the car or not, I was like wtf u just burst into my front like that, he Apologized Sha saying it's not his fault.

So now tell me, if someone suddenly comes into your front, and you hit their car just like my situation are you saying I am still at fault?

What are you saying?
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by nurey(m): 9:27am On Oct 09, 2016
deuce07:

What are you saying?
I don't understand your question
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by okikiosibodu(m): 9:45am On Oct 09, 2016
PaperLace:
...By the way, why is it that all the men that hit my car always tell me to call my husband, say them one discuss man to man...is my husband a panel-beater? undecided
Lol. Quite hilarious

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Khameal007(m): 10:00am On Oct 09, 2016
if I'm gonn hit a woman from behind .. e no go be with car! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW / Would You Buy This Maybach Smart Fortwo? (photos) / Brabus 900 Unveiled As The Most Powerful V12 Off-roader In The World (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.