Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,195 members, 7,953,704 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:07 AM

An Example Of Police Brutality - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / An Example Of Police Brutality (1241 Views)

Nigerian Woman Arrested In US For Striping Unclad In Front Of Police (Photos) / I Was Hung Upside Down And Tortured For 3months: Victim Of Police Brutality(PIC) / Corper Loses Eye To Police Brutality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Example Of Police Brutality by timbuktu1: 11:48pm On Oct 17, 2009
[url=http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5471402-148/An_example%20of_police_brutality__.csp]Source[/url]

SIR: Fellow Nigerians, let us arise and say 'No' to police brutality in Nigeria after 49 years of independence. On October 2, 2009 at about 5.30 p.m., I witnessed a heart-breaking incident at Gbara Bus Stop along Lekki-Epe Expressway, Lagos. I saw armed mobile policemen beating a young man. At the scene of the incident was a crowd of over 50 people watching in amazement. I went closer to enquire from a spectator and I was informed that a certain woman hit a truck pusher with a jeep and she claimed the truck pusher brushed her car. Arguments ensued between the said woman, the truck pusher and other eyewitnesses as to who was right or wrong. While both parties were throwing tantrums, the said woman called the mobile police.

In about 15-20 minutes, a police vehicle with inscription Victoria Island/Lekki/Victoria Garden City (VGC) Convoy Patrolwith registration number (Lagos) HR 94 EKY arrived at the scene with about five fierce-looking armed mobile policemen. On sighting the policemen, all spectators took to their heels. The ferocious policemen caught one of the boys who had earlier argued in support of the truck pusher. He was beaten mercilessly.

I arrived at the scene when the policemen were manhandling and torturing the said man. They kicked him with their boots and hit him with the edge of their guns. I wanted to intervene in the unfair and illegal treatment meted out to the man and through the direction of one of the eye witnesses, I approached the woman (that called the police) and appealed to her to order the policemen to stop the inhuman treatment and the grievous battery.

She shouted at me and ordered me to get out of her sight. I then introduced myself as a lawyer and a concerned citizen. She then told me that she was also a lawyer. I became furious at that point because I could not imagine a legal practitioner initiating and authorising such an illegality in a democratic society where human rights are topmost priority to the government.

The woman in question immediately called one of the policemen and instructed him to send me away from the scene which he attempted but I resisted his attempt. The policeman shouted at me and assaulted me, pointing a gun at me and ordered me to leave. I left but quickly returned with a friend. We picked the police van plate number which is (Lagos) HR 94 EKY and the plate number of the jeep belonging to the so-called lawyer which is (Lagos) EQ 278 LND. The police shot their gun at a point to disperse the crowd at the scene of the incident. Many people ran for safety and some fell into the ditch by the road under construction by Lekki Concession Company ( LCC).

I was made to understand that the patrol vehicle and the police were security operatives attached to an oil company. I am surprised and disappointed that a lawyer, who is expected to be an officer in the temple of justice can employ some unprofessional police officers attached to a reputable company to batter, molest and subject poor citizens to inhumane treatment in their own country. This is unacceptable and should not be allowed to die a natural death.

I hereby call on the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State to investigate the excesses of the mobile policemen involved in such cruel treatment of fellow Nigerians. I also implore the Nigerian Bar Association to determine whether the actions of the said woman claiming to be a lawyer is consistently with the ethics of the legal profession and the oath she swore to (assuming she is a lawyer she claimed to be) as a legal practitioner. Finally, I call on human rights groups to investigate this matter and ensure justice is done and the fundamental human rights of the said man enforced. Enough is enough! How long shall we continue to endure police brutality in Nigeria?

Melvin Daji,
Lagos
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by ikeyman00(m): 12:11am On Oct 18, 2009
bump
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by chillbabe(f): 12:16am On Oct 18, 2009
I hope u will do more then just putting it on NL. Why didn't u take pictures did u ask for the boys contacts. Why didn't u declare right then and there that u are the man's lawyer. Why did u only watch without doing anything. What will be ure next move.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by hollandis(f): 1:01am On Oct 18, 2009
Sadly there is nothing you can do about it.The ''civilised '' spectators watched with ecstacy as a man was brutally brutalised,they cheered and jeered as the police pumelled an innocent citizen to a state of disrepair.It shows how sick we are in this country.My advice for you is to rest the case because worse things happen and the police get away with it.Pushing the case will be tantamount to jeopardizing your person .I have lived in this country long enough to know how things works.
i know you are a legal practitoner but hate it or love it,this country has no law.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by SeanT21(f): 8:54am On Oct 18, 2009
cry cry I wonder if these bastards have family. How can U treat Ur fellow man like dirt and then go home to Ur wife and kids.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by RichyBlacK(m): 10:09am On Oct 18, 2009
@timbuktu1,

You have done well to post this on NL.

The Nigerian Police Force is an enemy to the average Nigerian. This type of nonsense has to stop. Please post this on all Nigerian blogs you can find, e.g. Nigerian Village Square, etc. Also, try to send this to the print media - Guardian, This Day, etc.

May God bless you as you do your work. Amen.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by redsun(m): 10:36am On Oct 18, 2009
We complain about whiteman being bad to us but we do more horrible things to one than whiteman will ever do.We are our own worst enemies.

The country is lawless and the weak are at the mercy of corrupt rich,the money miss roads.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by DisGuy: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2009
She shouted at me and ordered me to get out of her sight. I then introduced myself as a lawyer and a concerned citizen. S[b]he then told me that she was also a lawyer[/b]. I became furious at that point because I could not imagine a legal practitioner initiating and authorising such an illegality in a democratic society where human rights are topmost priority to the government.

(Lagos) EQ 278 LND

our so called educated big men and their lust for power
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by udezue(m): 5:21pm On Oct 18, 2009
Our people are just sick in the head
Good job for doing your own part in exposing this shameful act. Someone gotta start from somewhere.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 18, 2009
I have sworn to God that if police is the last job on earth,i will not enlist.,.,From the least constable to the i.G,who among them is good.,
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by edikanvic(m): 6:29pm On Oct 18, 2009
SeanT21:

cry cry I wonder if these bastards have family. How can U treat your fellow man like dirt and then go home to your wife and kids.

I also think the same.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by Jarus(m): 8:23am On Oct 19, 2009
Remember reading this in Guardian and feeling so embittered at the woman and the soldiers. How bad can things get! Anybody that has power can deal with any innocent person now and go away with it. Too bad
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by kufre4biz(m): 11:22am On Oct 19, 2009
but poster did not tell us the offense this fellow committed to warrant this brutality. maybe robbery, stealing or other serious offense that will warrant your fellow legal practitioner to support the brutality.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by edikanvic(m): 12:16pm On Oct 19, 2009
Is there any rule of law at all.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by mccloud224(m): 9:24pm On Oct 20, 2009
Yep, this is why Africa (Nigeria especially) will always remain as it is (Keeping your hopes up people but this land ain't gonna see no changes for the next two centuries, i can assure you).When our people come into a little progress in life, they tend to have a "God complex".Everyone is guilty.
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by Abuzola(m): 12:03am On Oct 23, 2009
@op, you haven't seen anything, they are worst than you think, thank God i have an airforce friend
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by SeanT21(f): 12:39am On Oct 23, 2009
Abuzola:

@op, you haven't seen anything, they are worst than you think, thank God i have an airforce friend

R U not a muslim?
Re: An Example Of Police Brutality by sylve11: 10:33am On Oct 23, 2009
It's always been my slogan " Police Man Touch Any Member of my Family, and See Fire for Fire'' angry cool

(1) (Reply)

Woman Killed By Her Houseboy At Her Home In Enugu ( Photo ) / BLCO FRAUDSTERS ON THE RISE / Terrible Accident (graphical Images)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.