Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland (6381 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Some Honest Atheist Quotes Every Christian & Atheist Needs To Read. / My Top 24 Atheist Quotes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 9:19am On Oct 15, 2016
joseph1013:
SHOW ME A COUNTRY...

Show me a country that respects its Pastors, Imams, and Rabbis more than it respects its Farmers, Teachers, and Scientists, and I will show you a doomed country that will forever be the laughing stock of the world.

Tell me the name of the country that puts bible above brain, faith above facts, prayer above proof, churches over schools, rapture above reason, invisible gods over visible goodness, life after death above life before death, tithing above thinking.

Tell me the name of that country and I will tell you the name of a country whose children will grow up to be children---mental cripples.

Does that describe your country?

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 9:23am On Oct 15, 2016
joseph1013:
YOU REALLY CAN FIND GOD

Christians often implore me to seek God. If I do, they assure me I will find him. But I already know they are right.

When the ancient Greeks sought God they found Zeus and Aphrodite, the ancient Iranians found Ahura Mazda, Hindus today find Vishnu, Brahma plus a host of other gods and Christians find Jesus and Yahweh. Humans have found many thousands of gods over millennia.

Finding gods is not the problem--humans are very proficient at it. The gods do not even have to exist yet humans can still find them. The problem for humans is not finding gods, it is demonstrating that their gods are real.

That is something that has never been accomplished.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by Elthugnificent(m): 10:46am On Oct 15, 2016
"Dear RabbaRabbi, the way your question is framed suggests one either ought to know the origins of man; or, otherwise believe that god did it. There couldn't be a more flawed attempt at seeking answers. In seeking answers, you must also be open to the many other possibilities that abound. For example, man may have emerged from the failed experiment of advanced alien species, man may be the descendants of old world apes, man may have been involved in a teleportation experiment from another universe, man may be the highly intelligent project of the devil that god has decided to colonise out of spite and jealousy. Also, the answer could just simply be " I don't know!". So why compel people to pick sides in a false dichotomy? At any rate, to me, the most compelling theory on the origins of man is as outlined by the theory of evolution. This theory has made use of a panoply of mutually exclusive bodies of facts; including genetics, anatomy and physiology, fossil records, behavioral biology and lab experiments to come up with a coherent and compelling narrative about our origins. In the circumstances, I have no reason to reject the proposition that we come from an old world ape that is a common ancestor to other existing apes too . If a definitive proof against evolution surfaces, I will very promptly discard it, and maybe adopt a more compelling answer, supposing one were to come along. But I don't feel compelled to know the origin of man as you do OP." By Agentofallah

3 Likes

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 11:46am On Oct 15, 2016
joseph1013:
[b]SALINE BATH TO PREVENT EBOLA INFECTION ANNIVERSARY

Exactly a year and one day ago, in Nigeria, some people had a saline bath to prevent ebola infection. Happy anniversary to that stupidity!

Thinking back on that experience, I could glean some lessons.

There were 2 groups of people

A) those who were absolutely sure by reason of their scientific knowledge that a saline bath could NOT prevent ebola infection. I belonged here.
B) those who were not sure.

Let's focus on group B. Group B could be divided further into 2:

B1) those who were not sure but were ready to VERIFY before going ahead with it &
B2) those who were not sure but didn't bother to VERIFY before going ahead.

I remember that some folks in group B1 called some medical practioners to find out about the hoax. They were the wise ones. Group B2 folks just went ahead perhaps because of natural incapability or fear of the unknown.

This fear of the unknown is also called Pascal wager. It says: if you say XYZ is true and it ends up being untrue (false positive), you have nothing to lose but if you say it's untrue and it ends up being true (false negative), you have everything to lose. That's why some people fell into group B2. In fact, some people planned to have the saline bath first before calling to verify and they did just that.

The fear of the unknown is not a proof that anything is true. Fear can't be a proof. The only way to be sure if anything is true is to verify. While there are answers already to some questions, the whole humanity still doesn't have answers to some questions. Most of such questions form the bedrock of religious belief. Concerning such, we're all in group B. We're uncertain. We don't know. But why some people will recklessly go ahead & practise what they believe without evidence (B2), some others will be circumspect to VERIFY before practising (B1).

Hoaxes build up over time. We finally discovered that the saline bath was invented by just 2 people who started it on social media & by 24 hours, thousands of people had had a saline bath. Now imagine a hoax that has perhaps lasted for thousands of years! Hoaxes also consolidate with time. Any lie can become the 'truth' if it stays around long enough.

People start rationalizing it and it becomes difficult to break. I remember how it later became difficult to convince people against the saline bath.

I even came across a highly placed, educated, individual who became so attached to the saline bath hoax that he started justifying it despite all contrary evidence. If that could happen for a cheap hoax that only existed for 72 hours, imagine a hoax that has grown over thousands of years!

Pascal wager fails & concerning beliefs, why do we need to belong to B1? 2 reasons:

1) Because the whole belief may be a hoax. The saline bath was a hoax invented by some people for whatever reason.

Reasons similarly exist for people who invented beliefs too. Would you rather try to verify a belief or would you be content to have fallen for someone else's cheap hoax?

2) Pascal wager talks about a false positive as if it's innocuous. But it isn't. Those who had the saline bath because of Pascal wager suffered a lot. In fact, a number of people died & another sizeable number were only saved by emergency care in the hospital. That's apart from the inconvenience in those who didn't even fall sick.

So doing false positives — doing something just to be on the safer side without evidence — comes with its negative effects too.

Moral:
It pays to have some evidence for anything before engaging yourself in it.[/b]

6 Likes

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 11:51am On Oct 15, 2016
joseph1013:
[b]IS LIFE POSSIBLE WITHOUT GOD?

I am bemused when Christians and Muslims say they would be nothing without God, or even, that they could not live without God.

They surely overlook the fact that there are 1.1 billion people in the world who live without a god of any kind. This alone demonstrates that living without a god is possible. But it shows something more important.

We can surmise that many of the 1.1 billion unbelievers grew up as god-believers and later discarded their god-beliefs. That gives them something that few believers have--the experience of living both with and without gods.

So we know a large number of people not only live without gods but they PREFER to live without gods. They have tried both and have made their choice.

I am reminded about a friend whose mother often told him she despised yoghurt even though she admitted she had never tried it--she thought it looked horrible. Several times this friend had asked her to try it but she doggedly refused. One day, this friend concealed yoghurt in a fruit dessert and watched anxiously as she eat it. She finished it and then asked for more...

Whilst millions of people say their lives are so much better without the god-superstition, Christians and Muslims insist their lives would be empty. The truth is they will never know, until they try.[/b]

6 Likes

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by EyeHateGod: 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2016
Who is this Joseph1013 guy... Nice

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 11:13am On Oct 16, 2016
cold:
The question here is..who exactly is a true Christian? Who on here can confidently say 'i am an epitome of a true Christian'? When ever we point out the flaws that bedevils Christianity or the sharp practices of these so called men of god you immediately hear something like 'he is not a true Christian/man of god. How come It is always the other Christian that is doing it wrong,it is always the other church that is preaching the false doctrine, it is always the other man of god that is not anointed. Did i add that it is always the other church that is not a bible believing church? Sigh

3 Likes

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 11:14am On Oct 16, 2016
EyeHateGod:
Who is this Joseph1013 guy... Nice

yeah, you can read his full thread here https://www.nairaland.com/2045070/thoughts-questions-religion

its a real gem

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 11:17am On Oct 16, 2016
johnydon22:
[b] A muslim would forever argue that the ones that left Islam were never True muslims and servants of Allah.

Christians would forever argue so and even brand such a person many unwarranted names like "Agent of Devil, demon etc"

it is no surprise that even within Christiandom none of them even regards the other denomination to be true Christians makes you wonder that their version of "True Christian" is always in reflection to their own ideas that is why no Christian is ever a true Christian to the other.

Let us face the simple truth here..

At one point most of us were either Quran thumping, fore-head smashing muslim or Bible thumping, tongue firing, spirit bathed Christians spanning from Childhood indoctrination or personal act of convictions.

Not once do we imagine our belief being wrong or even ever wanted to imagine that. Not once have we questioned or even thought about the things we believed or applied our straight reasons as humans in relation to these convictions.

Not until a pinch of reality hits you, a fearful ever pricking question keeps sipping in..
"Muhammed never rode Buraq?, There was never a global flood and a wooden ark?, or naked couple eating a fruit because a talking snake with legs said so? or the moon ever split ?, the sun or earth never stood still for men killing each other.?

Or the plain disturbing Character of these distinct beings bathed on us in form of belief.
"Loving the smell of burnt animals, hating unbelievers or ready to burn anybody that hurts it's ego forever for his own glee or glory"

Nope it never made sense once you thought about them, it seemed Narcissistic, barbaric and sadistic... And curiosity and reason takes you ever further.

Once you encounter a conflicting ideology it always leaves a mark that may take years to be realized.

Yes people abandon their FAITH, even bishops, pastors, Imams.. and Yes they were true to their formal faiths.

Why i always say, when an irreligious argues over belief with a religious.. its not really about winning the debate not even close. All it takes is a pinch of doubt Once the words plants this seed of doubt, natural curiosity takes it from there.
[/b]

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 3:19pm On Oct 16, 2016
plaetton:
I have asked myself many many times why I loathe religion, the Abrahamic religions so much. I ask myself this question quite often because the last thing I want to become is bigot, to be the very thing that I loathe so much.
And it comes to this.
In the course of my life, I have interacted with people from many many different nationalities, in school, at work, in business, and in social settings, with different cultures and religious worldviews.

A popular belief among Caucasians and Asians are that Blacks have lower cranial dexterity. As a black person, we do all we can to dispel this idea that we are not as smart as everyone else.

However, our affinity for fables, superstition and stone age nonsense is a monumental embarrassment to those who work hard to show that Blacks have as much cranial dexterity as everyone other race.

The other day at an event, I overheard two gentlemen talking seriously about a conference. I crashed in on the conversation, curious to know whether they talking about an economic conference, business conference or whatever was of interest.
They were talking about a Bible conference. Imagine the disappointment in my face. It was like cold water was poured on my curiosity and excitement.

There, I began to ask myself again, why does religion, middle East religion of 2000yrs ago, occupy sooooo much of the African mind ?

The truth is that I have never in my life experiences, walked in on non-Africans( Nigerians) having a serious discussion about religion, the Bible, God etc. These issues only come up when , out of curiosity, I introduce the topic.

What is the allure of " the supernatural" and hand-me-down tokumbo religions to Africans ?

In a typical social setting, try to gather some Nigerians to discuss, for good example , the international space station, or the discovery of new planets and stars. You would likely receive scoffs, mockery of the " white man's" attempt to usurp god.

I try seriously to understand the psychology of religion, as it relates to the African mind.

Is it our poor educational standards?

Is it a deliberately planted TROJAN HORSE by the cunning Europeans ?

Is it just an accident of history that religious superstitions just happened to be a convenient and timely SUBSTITUTE for our own discredited cultural superstitions?

Or,
Is it actually true that Blacks are mentally lazy, and hardwired for simple superstitions that do not involve the rigors of empirical investigations ?

Religion, for me, tends to confirm the stereotype that Africans are mentally lazy, hence the deep attachments , and serious pre-occupation with silly beliefs that add ZERO values to our lives, our SOCIETIES, our future.

This why I see people like Adeboye, Oyedepo, Oyaks and the many many hordes of them as purveyors of WEAPONS OF MIND DESTRUCTION ( WMD).

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by JackBizzle: 11:26am On Nov 27, 2016
Every Nigerian atheist should understand the deeper meaning of this quote;

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 08, 2016
This .... Is an amazing thread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by JackBizzle: 7:55am On Dec 09, 2016
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

Edward Gibbon

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by EyeHateGod: 7:11am On Dec 10, 2016

Think of religion like a movie.

The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu'ran comes out and it retcons like the last one never happened. There's still Jesus, but he's not the main character anymore, and the Messiah hasn't shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie, but ignore the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third movie doesn't count, Muslims think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much that they started writing fan fiction that doesn't fit in with ANY of the series canon.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 10, 2016
JackBizzle:

A Mr Karlovitch was asked why he stopped going to church and here was his answer;

Atheism is not a religion, go to science/technology forum and stuff there. You should focus on other things besides God as to you folks He doesn't exist.
Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 10, 2016
First page cracked me up but this page is too serious.
Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by JackBizzle: 9:50am On Dec 10, 2016
Pidgin2:

Atheism is not a religion, go to science/technology forum and stuff there. You should focus on other things besides God as to you folks He doesn't exist.

Kindly get out of this thread. This place is for atheist quotes.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:56am On Dec 10, 2016
JackBizzle:

Kindly get out of this thread. This place is for atheist quotes.

You shouldn't talk to a lady in such an ungentle manner . undecided
Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 10:21am On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You shouldn't talk to a lady in such an ungentle manner . undecided

why should having a vagyna entitle one to special, more delicate treatment? angry

15 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:28am On Dec 10, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

why should having a vagyna entitle one to special, more delicate treatment? angry

You treat something delicate with care wink .

That's why forlorn hopefullandlord is still unattached cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 11:46am On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
You treat something delicate with care wink . That's why forlorn hopefullandlord is still unattached cheesy
says the 23 year old Virgin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:48am On Dec 10, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

says the 23 year old Virgin grin

I'm not married , why should I have sex
Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by JackBizzle: 11:51am On Dec 10, 2016
A deist Jesus story written by an inspired atheist-

JackBizzle:

DEEPSIGHT 3;19

Deepsight walked amongst his disciples and preached to them- "I am the salad of life and whosoever eateth of me shall be blessed with the verbosity of spoken word". Then, his disciples asked "Is this true? Can we be blessed with the gift of the word salad?". Deepsight replied thus- "the salad is open like the gates of heaven towards its righteous communicants; it accepts whosoever believeth in its sophistry."

Then Deepsight told his disciples to start speaking in tongues. As they did, he started walking on air. And his disciples rejoiced thus "we have a great prophet that walketh on air". But then, Deepsight corrected them; "I walketh not upon the air but upon the spoken word of your saladified speaking in tongues". And his disciples rejoiced further "we have a great prophet for where Jesus walketh upon water, he walketh upon words".

And from that day Deepsight was known as the "word walker". Praised be his salad.
Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hopefulLandlord: 11:52am On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

exactly! so its only normal for you to see everyone else as unattached since you're a virgin and king when it comes to psychological projection cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by sonofluc1fer: 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Yeah, thank God for hands. The intelligent designer made them long enough to stroke your genitals while he prepares a beautiful life partner for you.

May the Lion of Judah bless your balls with strength to hold on... ramen.

Matths 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2016
sonofluc1fer:

Yeah, thank God for hands. The intelligent designer made them long enough to stroke our genitals while he prepares a beautiful life partner for you.

May the Lion of Judah bless your balls with strength to hold on... ramen.

Matths 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

I'm not sure why you'd think the photo of the woman would titillate me . Funny attempt to "tempt" me . grin

You are back with your idiosyncrasies which endeared you to us grin

1 Like

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hahn(m): 12:25pm On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I'm not sure why you'd think the photo of the woman would titillate me . Funny attempt to "tempt" me . grin

You are back with your idiosyncrasies which endeared you to us grin

Comot for there omo mummy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
hahn:

Comot for there omo mummy cheesy

grin grin

I dey independent oo to some extent . Na my own decision be that . grin
Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by hahn(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

grin grin

I dey independent oo to some extent . Na my own decision be that . grin

To what extent? You mean you have your own room? undecided
Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2016
hahn:

To what extent? You mean you have your own room? undecided

Jesu cry cry

1 Like

Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 10, 2016
Please can someone help me with this question.

If at the Court of Law an Atheist is asked to swear, With what do they swear with?
Thanks
Re: The Best Atheist Quotes On Nairaland by Shollyps(m): 1:01pm On Dec 10, 2016
#following
long time here

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Windows 10 Is Full Of Illuminati, Freemasonry And Satanic Sign. / Satanism or Christianity / Post Your Funny Santa Claus Pictures Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.