Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,159 members, 7,815,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami (13875 Views)

OLISAH METUH: Justice Abang A Disgrace To Nigeria Judiciary, Fayose / Why I Rejected Anti-corruption Panel Job – Justice Salami / Flashback: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by cyrilamx(m): 1:08am On Oct 10, 2016
Justice Ayo Salami named Ibrahim Auta, the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, as one of the corrupt elements.

A former President of the Court of Appeal, Wednesday, came down hard on the Nigerian judiciary, accusing it of harbouring “corrupt elements.”

Ayo Salami, who spoke at the 10th Gani Fawehinmi annual lecture in Lagos, stated that the problem with the Nigerian judiciary is that “some dishonourable people “not fit to be judges get into the system and make it to the highest level of the judicial career.
Mr. Salami was forced to retire in October last year after serving more than 30 months suspension on the orders of President Goodluck Jonathan.

While singling out Ibrahim Auta, the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, as well as some senior lawyers, Mr. Salami noted that the common man’s quest for justice is further diminished with such characters in the judiciary.

“Another major point why the problem with the judiciary will remain unresolved or even compounded for a long time is that Nigerians do not naturally want the truth to be told. Whoever dares to tell the truth is marked for destruction,” Mr. Salami said at the event organized by the Ikeja chapter of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA.

“You members of the Bar often tell sordid stories or tales of certain high ranking serving or retired judicial officers who act as ‘arrangees’ or couriers of bribe. That is, such are engaged at a fee to reach out to judges to influence or ‘purchase’ justice in certain sensitive cases.”

Following a disagreement between Mr. Salami and Aloysius Katsina-Alu, then Chief Justice of Nigeria, over an election petition matter involving Sokoto State, the National Judicial Council, NJC, set up a series of panels to investigate some of the complaints.

Among other things, one of the panels recommended that Mr. Salami apologize to Mr. Katsina-Alu, a recommendation which the former blatantly rejected.

“I should like to let you know that in the course of my travails, the NJC set up the Auta Committee (Justice Auta is a completely junior judge or judicial officer to me) to make recommendation on the NJC Investigative Panel (Justice Umaru Abdullah’s Panel).

“This was meant to humiliate me. But God turned the humiliation to vindication for me, in that the Auta Committee adopted a laughable procedure by introducing a completely new dimension to the case without giving me any hearing at all,” said Mr. Salami.

“The issue of my breaking the Code of Conduct for Judicial Officers by speaking to the Press was never raised, not to talk of being tried at the NJC Investigative Panel.

The Auta Committee, however, flew above its mandate and said it took ‘judicial notice’ of the fact that I spoke to the Press and this formed part of the recommendations of his Committee which was supposed to act only on the NJC Investigative Panel’s findings,” he added.
Mr. Salami said that the Justice Auta’s panel had already set out from the outset to indict him at all cost.

“During the period, I had a case pending at the Federal High Court in Abuja to stop the proceedings before the Committee. When told by a member of the Committee that I had a case challenging their sitting at the Federal High Court and that they should not proceed on the assignment, he said they had not been served and were not inclined to stop further proceedings on the matter.
“Obviously, the conclusion was already predetermined because it is very elementary that what was important was not service but notice of the process.”

Mr. Salami said that the efforts of the current Chief Justice of Nigeria, Maryam Mukhtar, to rid the judiciary of corrupt elements are being frustrated by the crop of people calling the shots at the NJC.
“When the controversy surrounding my suspension was raging, a young member of the profession soliloquized that if Gani (Fawehinmi) were alive, he would have gone to court.

“I agree, but to which court would he have gone? An intimidated and frightened court? All it requires is a call to the head of the court and it is done,” he added.
The lecture was organized by the NBA, Ikeja chapter, and was titled ‘Nigeria at centenary: A nation still in bondage?’
But the retired judge slammed the lawyers, accusing some of their senior colleagues of contributing to the rot in judiciary.

“There are some who have the capacity to influence and intimidate the Courts and they do so with relish,” said Mr. Salami.
“I wish the Nigerian Bar Association would have the will, ability and capacity to implement the recommendations of the Okpoko Committee that carried out NBA’s independent investigation into the Sokoto Case which led to my travails.

“Unfortunately, NBA which had a good report in its hands could not impose sanctions on members of your Bar that were indicted therein (probably because ‘prominent’ senior lawyers were involved). Again, we have to leave this to history, posterity and ultimately God.

“Sometimes (and when it matters) some members of the Bar representing NBA on the NJC hardly stand up for the truth not to talk of speaking the truth,” he added.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/153400-nigerias-judiciary-harbours-corrupt-elements-justice-salami.html

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by id911(m): 1:17am On Oct 10, 2016
Na wao...see who is talking. Justice Salami in saner climes, you will be in jail

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by CoolFreeday(m): 1:20am On Oct 10, 2016
See as corruption mess all our systems including the judiciary. Its unfortunate.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by dunkem21(m): 1:58am On Oct 10, 2016
Dem dey talk, Justice Salami follow dey talk cheesy

Arch judge Abang go soon talk grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Nobody: 2:10am On Oct 10, 2016
See who's speaking against others.

Pot calling the kettle black.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by GenbIoodykiller: 2:58am On Oct 10, 2016
corrupt elements such as you and that useless vagabond good for nothing wig wearing bastard called injustice Abang the useless monkey.
apc is a useless party trying soo hard to use every resources they have to divert the attention of their minions zombies and innocent citizens from the current reality which is the heavy hardship caused by their useless incompetent baboon infested admistration with a useless old hag swine as presidiot called buhari the illiterate vagabond economic bokoharam.
last month was PEJ vs EFCC and we are yet to see pej arrested
this month they have ran out of victims and they decided to go after the judiciary
next month i wonder what will be the next distraction.

useless set of people
thunder scatter anyone that still support this useless govt.

injustice salami shatap and go and rot in hades
useless criminal judge

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by babajero(m): 3:47am On Oct 10, 2016
If you know the judiciary is corrupt and you can prove it why didn't you file a report to efcc?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by chriskosherbal(m): 4:04am On Oct 10, 2016
Corruption!!! God have mercy on this nation.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by tafabaloo(m): 4:11am On Oct 10, 2016
Ok.

Even the NJC stinks......The investigative panel set up by this same body recommended that Salami shld be recalled from suspension and reinstated to his position but they rejected because of power that be. Simply because he refused to play balls with vested interest in Sokoto guber case.

Wished some of those retired corrupt judges could be brought back to face trial and jailed if found guilty.

Now that Government has commenced clamp down on perceived corrupt justices, I hope those senior lawyers who act as bribe couriers would equally be docked.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by durangokid: 6:14am On Oct 10, 2016
cyrilamx:
Justice Ayo Salami named Ibrahim Auta, the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, as one of the corrupt elements.

A former President of the Court of Appeal, Wednesday, came down hard on the Nigerian judiciary, accusing it of harbouring “corrupt elements.”

Ayo Salami, who spoke at the 10th Gani Fawehinmi annual lecture in Lagos, stated that the problem with the Nigerian judiciary is that “some dishonourable people “not fit to be judges get into the system and make it to the highest level of the judicial career.
Mr. Salami was forced to retire in October last year after serving more than 30 months suspension on the orders of President Goodluck Jonathan.

While singling out Ibrahim Auta, the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, as well as some senior lawyers, Mr. Salami noted that the common man’s quest for justice is further diminished with such characters in the judiciary.

“Another major point why the problem with the judiciary will remain unresolved or even compounded for a long time is that Nigerians do not naturally want the truth to be told. Whoever dares to tell the truth is marked for destruction,” Mr. Salami said at the event organized by the Ikeja chapter of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA.

“You members of the Bar often tell sordid stories or tales of certain high ranking serving or retired judicial officers who act as ‘arrangees’ or couriers of bribe. That is, such are engaged at a fee to reach out to judges to influence or ‘purchase’ justice in certain sensitive cases.”

Following a disagreement between Mr. Salami and Aloysius Katsina-Alu, then Chief Justice of Nigeria, over an election petition matter involving Sokoto State, the National Judicial Council, NJC, set up a series of panels to investigate some of the complaints.

Among other things, one of the panels recommended that Mr. Salami apologize to Mr. Katsina-Alu, a recommendation which the former blatantly rejected.

“I should like to let you know that in the course of my travails, the NJC set up the Auta Committee (Justice Auta is a completely junior judge or judicial officer to me) to make recommendation on the NJC Investigative Panel (Justice Umaru Abdullah’s Panel).

“This was meant to humiliate me. But God turned the humiliation to vindication for me, in that the Auta Committee adopted a laughable procedure by introducing a completely new dimension to the case without giving me any hearing at all,” said Mr. Salami.

“The issue of my breaking the Code of Conduct for Judicial Officers by speaking to the Press was never raised, not to talk of being tried at the NJC Investigative Panel.

The Auta Committee, however, flew above its mandate and said it took ‘judicial notice’ of the fact that I spoke to the Press and this formed part of the recommendations of his Committee which was supposed to act only on the NJC Investigative Panel’s findings,” he added.
Mr. Salami said that the Justice Auta’s panel had already set out from the outset to indict him at all cost.

“During the period, I had a case pending at the Federal High Court in Abuja to stop the proceedings before the Committee. When told by a member of the Committee that I had a case challenging their sitting at the Federal High Court and that they should not proceed on the assignment, he said they had not been served and were not inclined to stop further proceedings on the matter.
“Obviously, the conclusion was already predetermined because it is very elementary that what was important was not service but notice of the process.”

Mr. Salami said that the efforts of the current Chief Justice of Nigeria, Maryam Mukhtar, to rid the judiciary of corrupt elements are being frustrated by the crop of people calling the shots at the NJC.
“When the controversy surrounding my suspension was raging, a young member of the profession soliloquized that if Gani (Fawehinmi) were alive, he would have gone to court.

“I agree, but to which court would he have gone? An intimidated and frightened court? All it requires is a call to the head of the court and it is done,” he added.
The lecture was organized by the NBA, Ikeja chapter, and was titled ‘Nigeria at centenary: A nation still in bondage?’
But the retired judge slammed the lawyers, accusing some of their senior colleagues of contributing to the rot in judiciary.

“There are some who have the capacity to influence and intimidate the Courts and they do so with relish,” said Mr. Salami.
“I wish the Nigerian Bar Association would have the will, ability and capacity to implement the recommendations of the Okpoko Committee that carried out NBA’s independent investigation into the Sokoto Case which led to my travails.

“Unfortunately, NBA which had a good report in its hands could not impose sanctions on members of your Bar that were indicted therein (probably because ‘prominent’ senior lawyers were involved). Again, we have to leave this to history, posterity and ultimately God.

“Sometimes (and when it matters) some members of the Bar representing NBA on the NJC hardly stand up for the truth not to talk of speaking the truth,” he added.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/153400-nigerias-judiciary-harbours-corrupt-elements-justice-salami.html
. please justice Ayo Salami, don't just remind us of your case because you are one of the problems we have un this country, you allowed yourself to be used, that was the beginning of gang up against PDP then which some people pointed out that early which Jonathan refused act on which eventually lead to him downfall, APC cannot make such mistake at now they are working seriously hard to consolidate their victory but tine will tell

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by inkon: 6:23am On Oct 10, 2016
Is there still hope for this country?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 10, 2016
id911:
Na wao...see who is talking. Justice Salami in saner climes, you will be in jail
in jail for what ?

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by mazifrankmore: 6:55am On Oct 10, 2016
This criminal that cancelled many local govt election and instead of ordering a fresh election,he went on and declare result in the remaining few local governments thereby, declaring a candidate winner.

Shameless criminal.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by amagunnerfan: 6:56am On Oct 10, 2016
durangokid:
. please justice Ayo Salami, don't just remind us of your case because you are one of the problems we have un this country, you allowed yourself to be used, that was the beginning of gang up against PDP then which some people pointed out that early which Jonathan refused act on which eventually lead to him downfall, APC cannot make such mistake at now they are working seriously hard to consolidate their victory but tine will tell
But isn't it ironic that the same man was probed by the NJC and no wrongdoing was found in him and was asked to be reinstated but le shoeless refused to reinstate him? Or shall we omit that part as it is against you bigotry and propaganda?

29 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 10, 2016
inkon:
Is there still hope for this country?

My brother hope Egwe-gu. You better pack ur bag and go to Ghana cheesy
Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 10, 2016
GenbIoodykiller:
corrupt elements such as you and that useless vagabond good for nothing wig wearing bastard called injustice Abang the useless monkey.
apc is a useless party trying soo hard to use every resources they have to divert the attention of their minions zombies and innocent citizens from the current reality which is the heavy hardship caused by their useless incompetent baboon infested admistration with a useless old hag swine as presidiot called buhari the illiterate vagabond economic bokoharam.
last month was PEJ vs EFCC and we are yet to see pej arrested
this month they have ran out of victims and they decided to go after the judiciary
next month i wonder what will be the next distraction.

useless set of people
thunder scatter anyone that still support this useless govt.

injustice salami shatap and go and rot in hades
useless criminal judge
I wonder what century you are leaving in maybe 11th century
ipob tout

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Yannny: 8:06am On Oct 10, 2016
WHEN THE JUDICIARY IS CORRUPT TO THIS LEVEL, CAN YOU IMAGINE WHERE THE COUNTRY IS HEADING TO?
Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by StupidYorubaFool: 8:07am On Oct 10, 2016
Buhari you shall never escape unpunished

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by brainpulse: 8:07am On Oct 10, 2016
Good
Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by wayne4loan: 8:07am On Oct 10, 2016
Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by kings09(m): 8:07am On Oct 10, 2016
Omo dis week go de interesting. Buhari has successfully provided a distraction frm the issues of the economy since its failing in dat aspect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 10, 2016
i hope Justice Abang the APC judge is part of them
Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by NaLaugh: 8:08am On Oct 10, 2016
undecided

That applies to every sector in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by alezzy13: 8:08am On Oct 10, 2016
Auta recommended the suspension of Salami then in 2011. So its no suprise.

However, allegations that Auta is severely compromised has been on for a long time.
Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by alizma: 8:09am On Oct 10, 2016
Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by malton: 8:09am On Oct 10, 2016
At least, people are finding their voices.

If you claim that Buhari is a tyrant, here is evidence that he is no more tyrannical than the corrupt judiciary you're killing yourself over. A system that always bends over for the highest bidder is not one to kill over.

Criminal elements are being exposed, suppressed voices are finding sounds - what's your own definition of tyranny again?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by michoim(m): 8:09am On Oct 10, 2016
Justice Ayo Salami is one of the most respectable, fearless and sincere justice in this country. God bless you sir.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by shaddoww: 8:09am On Oct 10, 2016
I remember how dey refuse to reinstate dis man after he was found innocent.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Agimor(m): 8:09am On Oct 10, 2016
The three arms of government breeds corruption is just that the judiciary has been concealed for a very long time.. Let the sanitization continue.. Buhari those behind you are much more than those against you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by mrlaw93(m): 8:10am On Oct 10, 2016
Corrupt leaders been raping and sucking a country dry and hide under the rule of law..

When will Nigeria adopt that kinda China law.. U re corrupt.. U die by hanging.. simple!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Pavore9: 8:10am On Oct 10, 2016
“Another major point why the problem with the judiciary will remain unresolved or even compounded for a long time is that Nigerians do not naturally want the truth to be told. Whoever dares to tell the truth is marked for destruction....You members of the Bar often tell sordid stories or tales of certain high ranking serving or retired judicial officers who act as ‘arrangees’ or couriers of bribe. That is, such are engaged at a fee to reach out to judges to influence or ‘purchase’ justice in certain sensitive cases.”......Food for thought.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Judiciary Harbours “corrupt Elements” – Justice Salami by Victorakats(m): 8:11am On Oct 10, 2016
That the judiciary is corrupt is not in doubt but the executive's activities is a subtle attempt to crush the judiciary and make the judiciary the puppet of the government.
That is a dangerous trend on the democracy we practice.
I hope that we won't have a lawless government because it will affect the masses worse than the leaders.

For dating, sex and marriage counselling visit www.amaraofficial.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Receives Corrected 2016 Budget From NASS / Pensioners Hail President Buhari: 'Best Administration In 14 Years' / Osinbajo To Unveil Igbo Museum Friday In Anambra.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.