Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,151 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? (1454 Views)

Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? / Replica Body Kits: The Nearest Thing To Owning A Super Car. / Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 11, 2016
Hey Guys Do You Use Uber? I would like to know if Uber is actually cheaper than owning a car.

A friend brought up the argument and it seemed logical. I started using Uber about 3 months ago from a free N2500 promo code and i have been using them ever since.

If you need the free N2500, Just download Uber and use this code: NGBA67. It only works if you are using it for the first time though.

One logic he brought up was the cost of buying an maintaning a car in lagos. But with Uber (which happens to be fairly cheap) you do not worry about those costs at all and your confort is still guaranteed.

I believe some pals here might even have a car with Uber. Whats your opinion?
Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Lexusgs430: 11:50am On Oct 11, 2016
I have used UBER, it's cheap on the short run, but not on the long run.
For someone on a short holiday period, rather than buy a car, all documentations and maintenance. In that instance, UBER is a cheaper alternative.
Imagine having loads of start stop waka in a day (maybe 5), UBER would cost you almost 20k. Would make sense for a tourist, but not a resident.
If you reside in a city, owning your own car is far cheaper option.
NB: Not forgetting you own the asset (you might call it liability), to sell and still have some capital............

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 11, 2016
Lexusgs430:
For someone on a short holiday period, rather than buy a car, all documentations and maintenance. In that instance, UBER is a cheaper alternative.
Imagine having loads of start stop waka in a day (maybe 5), UBER would cost you almost 20k. Would make sense for a tourist, but not a resident.
NB: Not forgetting you own the asset (you might call it liability), to sell and still have some capital............

Uber doesn't actually charge much for waiting for you. So that start and stop won't really matter much.

Nice point though especially for the tourist part
Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Lexusgs430: 7:07pm On Oct 11, 2016
adrianstylez:

Uber doesn't actually charge much for waiting for you. So that start and stop won't really matter much.

Nice point though especially for the tourist part

Sure. My stop & start was referring to hour stops at a time. My perception is, no point keeping a driver waiting, when the next driver is less than 10 minutes away....
Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by semochendo1(m): 10:07pm On Oct 11, 2016
Do those your friends have cars?

1 Like

Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by perfectwazobia1: 7:02am On Oct 12, 2016
Enlightenment please
Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 12, 2016
semochendo1:
Do those your friends have cars?

One of then actually owns a car and confirmed it.
Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 12, 2016
My driver's husband uses Uber and she was telling me about the beautiful ways drivers can rip passengers off. For example after waiting for a passenger for few minutes, they can cancel the appointment and money is deducted from the passengers' account. Also the Uber drivers can chose to use longer routes or traffic heavy routes which means the passenger pays more.

I personally think nothing beats having your licence and owning a car. You are move about whenever and however you chose.
Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 12, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Agree

1 Like

Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Lexusgs430: 2:19pm On Oct 12, 2016
Contact17:
My driver's husband uses Uber and she was telling me about the beautiful ways drivers can rip passengers off. For example after waiting for a passenger for few minutes, they can cancel the appointment and money is deducted from the passengers' account. Also the Uber drivers can chose to use longer routes or traffic heavy routes which means the passenger pays more.

I personally think nothing beats having your licence and owning a car. You are move about whenever and however you chose.

Your driver's husband? You said it accurately......
Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 12, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Your driver's husband? You said it accurately......

Yeah. My driver is a woman.

1 Like

Re: Is Uber Cheaper Than Owning A Car? by Lexusgs430: 2:30pm On Oct 12, 2016
Contact17:

Yeah. My driver is a woman.

Wow. We don't see many female commercial/private drivers around.
You are lucky to have hijacked one of the few...........

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please Advice. Am About To Buy Honda Accord EOD Naija Used. / Golf Gt 2.0 8v Single Point Fuel Injection into Vw T4 2e2 Carburator / Check Out The All-Wheel Drive Electric Car Prototype Designed For Nigerian Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.