Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

History Of Nigeria Revolutionaries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of Nigeria Revolutionaries (584 Views)

Kebbi Is The Most Peaceful State In The History Of Nigeria – Gov. Okorocha / Who Is The Most Hated President In The History Of Nigeria? / History Of Nigeria Police Igs. From Edet To Arase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Nigeria Revolutionaries by ibibiofirstlady(f): 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2016
Good morning. Platforms like this are only good enough for so much. There is a lot of energy among the young citizens & I am glad there is. There is a lot about Nigeria, the judiciary & the legal profession that requires correcting. All I want to offer is a bit of historical context, especially for younger Nigerians here:

(a) In 1970, Gen. Gowon had won the war. He was riding crest of a wave. He released a 9-point programme preceding his hand-over of power in 1976. Item 3 on that programme was "eradication" of corruption.

(b) In 1974, Gowon said 1976 was no longer feasible as handover date. Murtala Mohammed, who succeeded Gowon as Senior Prefect in Barewa College, overthrew him in 1975 (July) & went on a spree of purging everywhere including the courts. Taslim Elias CJN & another Sup Crt judge were fired. In his place, Murtala appointed Sir Darnley Alexander. A naturalised Nigerian, Sir Darnley loved a bit of a beverage & was a happy man! Nigerians were excited. We were an ecstatic country!

(c) Murtala was tragically killed in Feb 1976, Obasanjo took over & by 1979 the view was settled that Murtala's purge had worsened corruption not solved it.

(d) when Obasanjo handed over in 1979, Shehu Shagari launched "Ethical Revolution" to attack corruption. Corruption, it turned out, was worse not healed.

(e) by 1983, Buhari had overthrown Shagari because... You guessed it: Corruption got worse under Shagari.

(f) 19 months later, IBB overthrew Buhari accusing him of corrupting & abusing his powers. He initiated review of security agencies & enacted in 1986 the National Security Agencies Act, creating, among others, SSS. We are now fighting over its powers.

(g) By the time IBB stepped aside in 1993, Ike Okonta wrote memorably that he had "corrupted democracy & democratized corruption."

(h) Gen Abacha took over promising to hand over power but hung on & wanted to use corruption to make himself civilian President.

(i) By the time we returned to democracy in 1999, President Obasanjo told us it would "not be business as usual." 3 years later, he was using Justice Egbo-Egbo to sack governors at night. Another years later, he was plying the NASS with billions in cash to change the constitution & give him a third term.

I could go on. But what is my point? Without a sense of history, Nigerians are always suckered by the next strong man promising to fight corruption in even more "inventive" ways.

This is only meant as a peek into history. Good luck guys & have a delightful week everyone!

Culled From Palmchat
Re: History Of Nigeria Revolutionaries by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:21pm On Oct 14, 2016
ibibiofirstlady:
Copied from another platform

Good morning. Platforms like this are only good enough for so much. There is a lot of energy among the young citizens & I am glad there is. There is a lot about Nigeria, the judiciary & the legal profession that requires correcting. All I want to offer is a bit of historical context, especially for younger Nigerians here:

(a) In 1970, Gen. Gowon had won the war. He was riding crest of a wave. He released a 9-point programme preceding his hand-over of power in 1976. Item 3 on that programme was "eradication" of corruption.

(b) In 1974, Gowon said 1976 was no longer feasible as handover date. Murtala Mohammed, who succeeded Gowon as Senior Prefect in Barewa College, overthrew him in 1975 (July) & went on a spree of purging everywhere including the courts. Taslim Elias CJN & another Sup Crt judge were fired. In his place, Murtala appointed Sir Darnley Alexander. A naturalised Nigerian, Sir Darnley loved a bit of a beverage & was a happy man! Nigerians were excited. We were an ecstatic country!

(c) Murtala was tragically killed in Feb 1976, Obasanjo took over & by 1979 the view was settled that Murtala's purge had worsened corruption not solved it.

(d) when Obasanjo handed over in 1979, Shehu Shagari launched "Ethical Revolution" to attack corruption. Corruption, it turned out, was worse not healed.

(e) by 1983, Buhari had overthrown Shagari because... You guessed it: Corruption got worse under Shagari.

(f) 19 months later, IBB overthrew Buhari accusing him of corrupting & abusing his powers. He initiated review of security agencies & enacted in 1986 the National Security Agencies Act, creating, among others, SSS. We are now fighting over its powers.

(g) By the time IBB stepped aside in 1993, Ike Okonta wrote memorably that he had "corrupted democracy & democratized corruption."

(h) Gen Abacha took over promising to hand over power but hung on & wanted to use corruption to make himself civilian President.

(i) By the time we returned to democracy in 1999, President Obasanjo told us it would "not be business as usual." 3 years later, he was using Justice Egbo-Egbo to sack governors at night. Another years later, he was plying the NASS with billions in cash to change the constitution & give him a third term.

I could go on. But what is my point? Without a sense of history, Nigerians are always suckered by the next strong man promising to fight corruption in even more "inventive" ways.

This is only meant as a peek into history. Good luck guys & have a delightful week everyone!

Culled From Palmchat
Re: History Of Nigeria Revolutionaries by bettercreature(m): 11:46pm On Oct 14, 2016
I forgot what i wanted to write after checking your profile picture
Re: History Of Nigeria Revolutionaries by AfroBlue(m): 1:05am On Oct 15, 2016
How I wish Mr. Olanrewaju would reedit and update his great documentary to avoid copyright wahala

Jide Olanrewaju’s Naij – A History of Nigeria, the “REAL STORY OF NIGERIA”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIZ5bVAdgWY
Re: History Of Nigeria Revolutionaries by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:05pm On Nov 01, 2016

(1) (Reply)

It's Not Only Igbos That Criticise Buhari Or APC / 7 Reasons Jonathan Is Silent On 21 Chibok Girls Rescue / Boko Haram To Give FG Two Conditions To Release More Chibok Girls |details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.