Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:16 AM

Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over (15353 Views)

How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? / How To Maintain Discipline At Work Place / I'm Being Accused Of Theft At My Work Place. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 15, 2016
datola:
You're sure this is applicable to Nigeria, given so many Nigerian factors?

I doubt any of the successful banks, etc of Nigerian decent practises any of those on your list.

Mac Gregory of MIT in the sixties had Nigerian factors in mind when he propounded theory X (as against Y) that employees need to be forced, disciplined, supervised, monitored, threatened, etc before they can perform. You would not understand if you are on the E side of the quadrant.

It is not unusual with multinational companies with excellent modern work culture that can afford fool prove systems to make those things possible.

Good post!

Yes bro, most systems that work abroad will be a nightmare in Nigeria, I recently asked a guy to handle my business. Told him what to achieve within a space of time and told him to do each at his own time. He practically closed down the business.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Ademat7(m): 1:26pm On Oct 15, 2016
blueseacats:
Yes bro, most systems that work abroad will be a nightmare in Nigeria, I recently asked a guy to handle my business. Told him what to achieve within a space of time and told him to do each at his own time. He practically closed down the business.
Which type of business if I may ask?
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by uvalued(m): 2:40pm On Oct 15, 2016
prodam:
Brainstorming on why some companies in Nigeria are ahead of the others will usually lead to a laborious research and even sometimes involve questionnaires and taking samples. It even gets more complex when you are studying firms globally. Don’t worry that has been done for you and the following have been identified as things to be replaced as well as current trends that drive productivity in modern workplace.

Old things have passed away they say, and surely new things are meant to replace them.

Old way: Employees are the biggest risk.
New Way: Employees are the biggest asset.

Nowadays, most companies still see employees as their biggest risk thereby handling their welfare with levity. The whole idea of a new revolution in the workplace is about getting things right on employer-employee relationship. Check out companies who are currently leading the market and you would discover that.

Old Way: Top down Communication
New Way: Open Communication

Top down communication which simply means information is passed from the top of the organogram down till it reaches bottom. This information is most times different at different stages of the hierarchy, that is, you only get the amount and kind of formation you can handle within your position in the firm. A lot of companies practice this model and keep employees away from the main business and daily operations of the firm. Companies who lead various industries especially IT practice open ended discussions, talks, and interactive communication. In such organisations, any employee has direct access to the CEO or head of division. This kind of all inclusive communication is what is referred to as Open Communication.

Old Way: Skill over Behaviour
New Way: Behavior over skill

You be like are you kidding me? No, I am not barney. This is so factual. The best way to hire and keep right people is to give primacy to behavior over skill. Things have changed and technology has made it seemingly easy to learn any thing whatsoever at the shortest time possible. The idea here is to look out for people with soft skills, such as emotional intelligence, presentation and personal branding, appearance and gesture as well as endurance. Attributes like this keeps an employee and makes him or her gives the best. Skills can be taught easily, by leveraging on, in house competence but it is extremely difficult to get employees to be patient, self-motivated or even communicate clearly.

Old Way: Manage Time
New Way: Empower Results

No doubt, one key thing for any serious person is to be able to manage time effectively. However, after little or more time spent, what are important most times in the long run are results. What has been done? What is left? What is the quality of the job?. The quality assurance or software testers or even customer are really not interested in the process involved or amount of effort but rather in the results obtained. Companies we look up to know this and have devised ways of reducing jobs of a single time and make people focus on what they really are good out. They also give reasonably enough time for tasks.

Old Way: Rigid Working Schedule
New Way: Flexible Working Schedule

It is so unproductive when you force employees to work during a specified time to deliver a task, but most firms are oblivious to this. Top companies allow employees to work within hours they are comfortable with as long as results are produced. Work is meant to be fun and not some punishment or constrain. Having employees work actively in the early hours of the day and take a nap or play some game then go back to work after lunch.

Old Way: At your desk
New Way: Mobile

In most advanced countries, this is very common due to good network latency and enough bandwidth. It fast tracks productivity and makes work easier and fun for employees or even independent consultants. Most companies, however, are still stuck with having employees resume and close on their desks.

Old Way: Work for the Weekend
New Way: Do something you love

Well, if you love your job, this might not be correct for you. People who are working on what they love are the most productive in any organization. However, only a few companies allow employees to do what they love during weekends and off days. Most firms will load you with work that will require you to work during your free periods. This may come in form of mandating you to resume during weekend or connecting to a client via remote services. This will no doubt adversely affect employees’ performance during actual business hours due to inadequate relaxation of mental tissues and rest.
Is that all? Yes that is all. Are you a start-up or thinking of creating the next big thing, you should have a rethink on your organizational structure. Inspire yourself

Thank you.

Source: http://naijayouthonpoint..com.ng/2016/10/modern-work-place-vs-old-work-place-why.html
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by 222Martins(m): 3:35pm On Oct 15, 2016
blueseacats:
Please tell them. People that have never opened or run a business before in Nigeria will just sit down and propound theories. Well, in the world of business, there will always be an employee/entrepreneur perspective to everything. This is one of them.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 15, 2016
Ademat7:

Which type of business if I may ask?
He said he has 6 years experience in hatchery business, I left him a standard hatchery with a customer base of hundred, and two other hardworking staffs, which is a lot in hatching business, after selling the last stock I produced before traveling he practically could not produce anything else.

I had to order him to close down and move out of the compound.

Now that you asked let me give you another instance. A friend called me one time and gave me fmcg distribution business plan, I invested and told him profit is not important as brand equity and customer base should be our number one goal, so do as you wish and with time profit will roll in effortlessly. I went ahead to tell him that even Amazon did not make profit for almost 11 years.

9 months later he could not even account for capital let alone profit. The next he's making personal investment with my money.

On a lighter note, I left a business for a lady to manage. Told her she's the boss run it as you like. She has so far doubled the capital base and keeps rolling in profit even in Nigeria's economic situation that I hear is very bad.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2016
222Martins:
Please tell them. People that have never opened or run a business before in Nigeria will just sit down and propound theories. Well, in the world of business, there will always be an employee/entrepreneur perspective to everything. This is one of them.
The one thing they are getting wrong is the fact that online businesses like running a website and other business is different from brick and mortar, customer service , production and other businesses.even in western nations employers practically police this kind of businesses around to get productivity out of the workers. I have written business plans and help establish a couple of those.

Let alone in Nigeria where people like to relatively work less and earn more, you have to always be on their tail if you need efficiency cause an average Nigerian employee always believe they are underpaid not minding how much loan you took out to establish the business and how long you stay awake at night thinking of how to buy the next gas for your generator , or if the rain will mess up the roads and not let customers get through to you, or when the government will make sudden decision to turn your business upside down.

In fairness to the op though I believe in given people freedom to do as they like because allowing them space to think outside the box can spring innovations, but in Nigeria, be very careful to do it with the most minimal risk else you be out of business before noon.

I wholly agree with the op that behavior and character and ethics matters, especially in Nigeria where corruption is the order of the day. Certificate to me is nothing but a worthless paper. Get a guy with good attitude teach him your trade and watch him grow your business.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Ademat7(m): 5:47pm On Oct 15, 2016
blueseacats:
He said he has 6 years experience in hatchery business, I left him a standard hatchery with a customer base of hundred, and two other hardworking staffs, which is a lot in hatching business, after selling the last stock I produced before traveling he practically could not produce anything else.

I had to order him to close down and move out of the compound.

Now that you asked let me give you another instance. A friend called me one time and gave me fmcg distribution business plan, I invested and told him profit is not important as brand equity and customer base should be our number one goal, so do as you wish and with time profit will roll in effortlessly. I went ahead to tell him that even Amazon did not make profit for almost 11 years.

9 months later he could not even account for capital let alone profit. The next he's making personal investment with my money.

On a lighter note, I left a business for a lady to manage. Told her she's the boss run it as you like. She has so far doubled the capital base and keeps rolling in profit even in Nigeria's economic situation that I hear is very bad.
Wao! That is one of the reason Nigerians in diaspora invest in real estate alone which is not suppose to be.
If u like agric I can put my experience to good use.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 15, 2016
Ademat7:

Wao! That is one of the reason Nigerians in diaspora invest in real estate alone which is not suppose to be.
If u like agric I can put my experience to good use.
I have been running that hatchery for 5 years now, each time I travel I close down and resume when am back, but my customers always complain that when I close down they too always do, cause they can't find quality fingerlings like mine elsewhere so that led me to the decision to hire someone to bridge that gap.

But it did no go down well at all, so I have decided to suspend that particular business till am back in town.
Re: Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over by laudate: 3:38pm On Oct 31, 2016
abumeinben:
Good.

However, I wanna believe the reverse is the case here:

The old tend to love "he has respect" or "he's from a well behaved family".

These days, you don't want to lose a skilled resource that makes the process meaningful, which produces the best output, even though he doesn't "greet" anyone in the office.

Well...yes & no. undecided Maybe he should have said 'attitude', instead of 'behaviour'. No matter how skilled or competent you are in the work place, if you have poor work ethics, bad attitude, anger management issues, use vile & uncouth language, disrespectful behaviour etc.... employers would rather let you go, than keep you on their books. Which employer wants to deal with a sexual harassment lawsuit or a discrimination case that would hurt their corporate reputation?? shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

NL's Career Thread Directory / Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. / What A Nigerian Living Abroad Tweeted That Has Set Twitter Nigeria On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.