Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,924 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? (20780 Views)

Summary Of JAMB Sweet Sixteen from Chapter 1 To Chapter 7 / Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? / Senate Extends JAMB Result Validity To 3 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Dapromzy333(m): 6:45pm On Oct 17, 2016
The Senate last Thursday in Abuja directed the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), to extend the validity of its results to a period of three years.

The question is, if this is implemented what are the possible implications?

One of the obvious implications is that candidates who scored up to the required UTME cut-off mark but were unable to secure admission in that academic year will still be able to use the result in the upcoming year thereby saving such candidates the stress of writing UTME again.

It will also reduce the financial burden on parents/guardians as the senate president, Bukola Saraki rightly pointed out.

However, the most critical is this; it will likely reduce the number of candidates applying for JAMB every year but at the same time increase the number of candidates seeking admission through UTME each year. This is not good considering that our tertiary institutions lack the capacity to accommodate the increasing number of admission seekers.

let's examine this. If the validity of UTME result gets extended, candidates who have obtained the required UTME cut-off mark for their course will need not apply for UTME in the upcoming year; however they will still join the teeming fresh secondary school leavers to jostle for admission in the following year. That will surely increase the number of admission seekers.

Now that seems to be nothing different from what it is at the moment; since some candidates who fail to gain admission last year, also sat for this year's UTME along side fresh secondary school leavers and are currently jostling for admission.

What you've failed to consider is that there are candidates who scored well above 200 in last year’s UTME, who were not admitted. Most of them participated in this year’s UTME but couldn’t score up to 180. This has automatically disqualified them for admission this year.

Now what if the validity of UTME result was implemented last year? That means they are still qualified to apply for admission this year there by increasing the number of admission seekers.

Also if the UTME result validity gets extended, many candidates with good UTME scores that fail to secure admission in a particular year will find it hard to consider programmes like diploma, IJMB, Pre-degree etc. since all they have to do is to wait another year and then re-apply for admission with their previous UTME result. The reason many opt for these other programmes in the first place is due to the stress of preparing and sitting for UTME over again.

So, if you ask me, I think admission quota for tertiary institutions should be increased first before extending the validity of UTME result or else the whole process will be self-defeating at the end of the day.

What's your own take on this and what are the other possible implications you can think of? Share with us.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Dapromzy333(m): 6:45pm On Oct 17, 2016

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by makelove2m(m): 6:53pm On Oct 17, 2016
I saw no implication at all, we needed to change from our old ways of doing things, if our Universities can not take all its citizens whose right to education can't be compromised, then, they needed to expand them or build new ones,

17 Likes

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by eph12(m): 7:02pm On Oct 17, 2016
Every state has a federal and state university why are applicants still focused on the popular universities? This should be looked into

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by ezechueze(m): 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2016
Life is good with LG ELECTRONICS
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Dapromzy333(m): 7:11pm On Oct 17, 2016
eph12:
Every state has a federal and state university why are applicants still focused on the popular universities? This should be looked into

True!!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Harkinyemi(m): 8:22pm On Oct 17, 2016
Let's hear from him, lalasticlala!
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Opistorincos(m): 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
grin
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by MinorityTribe: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
In the next three years expect a Tsunami of Applicants for different institutions. Competition would be tough.

2 Likes

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
with the extension, there would be more applicants seeking admission for a fewer slot.

schools like unilag,OAU would come out with a policy of not admitting old jamb result..

the extension in the validity to me would create unnecessary heat on schools,and applicants.

6 Likes

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by semasir: 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2016
Let's consider the advantages over the disadvantages and see what we stand to benefit from it;

*Advantages
-less financial implications
-validity expiration for at least 2 years
-ability to plan ahead for a programme or apprenticeship once qualified (for the sensible though)

*Disadvantages
-spill over of candidates repeatedly
-strict procedures for some schools in admissions

**Possible solution
INCREASE THE ADMISSION QUOTA FOR ALL UNIVERSITIES.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by prince985(m): 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2016
Haaaa..such a relief..i dont need to rush again.i can naw rest for like 2 years
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by MinorityTribe: 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2016
eph12:
Popular university are often cheaper. And state and the unpopular universities are too tribalistic.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Olukologia(m): 8:26pm On Oct 17, 2016
Even schools without credibility will step up admission standard

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by jeff1993: 8:29pm On Oct 17, 2016
hh
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Shabib(m): 8:29pm On Oct 17, 2016
Nice one.
Meanwhile, check my profile.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by flokii: 8:30pm On Oct 17, 2016
I don't think they checked statistics well before making such rule..

more like saying JAMB should be conducted every three years cos where is d record system to store candidates info?

They've messed d whole system up finally.. easy ride for private unis now

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by alegbeleye(m): 8:30pm On Oct 17, 2016
All is well... Jst lemme see comments.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Horlorlardaey: 8:31pm On Oct 17, 2016
only if schools will Increase their admission slots too them the equation might be balanced

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by JDAdeshina: 8:32pm On Oct 17, 2016
eph12:

One state and federal university isn't just enough. There's nothing wrong if each state has at least 4-5 university excluding privates.. How about if Federal government look into that?

2 Likes

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by kingofthejungle(m): 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2016
some federal universities will come with a rule of not accepting old results
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by bloomstar: 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2016
LAUGH IT OFF!

English Lesson!

Teacher: Today, we'll talk about question tags. Here are examples:
1. She is coming, isn't she?
2. They have eaten, haven't they?
Now, who can give me another example?

Abu: Sir! Na Yam we go chop today, chopn't we?

Teacher: What kind of sentence is that, please who can help correct him?

Akpos: Sir! Na yam we go chop today, yamn't we?

Teacher: You guys must be stupid! Must you joke with everything? Óyá, Emmanuella! I know you're brilliant. Give us an example.

Emmanuella: Na motor go kill our teacher, killn't him?

Teacher: Na motor go kill your papa, papan't u?

4 Likes

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by ajalawole(m): 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2016
Op u are right. Though some students who don't make it to university apply for collage of ede or polytechnics as an escape rout, but with this i doubt if they could apply for poly or collage of edu, since they can still use the result the next year.....
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2016
I imagine the price of jamb form would be doubled if not tripled.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by ajalawole(m): 8:36pm On Oct 17, 2016
Op u are right. Though some students who don't make it to university apply for collage of ede or polytechnics as an escape rout, but with this i doubt if they could apply for poly or collage of edu, since they can still use the result the next year.....
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Mopolchi: 8:37pm On Oct 17, 2016
Implication is that you will save cost of buying forms yearly.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by kodded(m): 8:38pm On Oct 17, 2016
bloomstar:
LAUGH IT OFF!

English Lesson!

Teacher: Today, we'll talk about question tags. Here are examples:
1. She is coming, isn't she?
2. They have eaten, haven't they?
Now, who can give me another example?

Abu: Sir! Na Yam we go chop today, chopn't we?

Teacher: What kind of sentence is that, please who can help correct him?

Akpos: Sir! Na yam we go chop today, yamn't we?

Teacher: You guys must be stupid! Must you joke with everything? Óyá, Emmanuella! I know you're brilliant. Give us an example.

Emmanuella: Na motor go kill our teacher, killn't him?

Teacher: Na motor go kill your papa, papan't u?
this joke is boring sad

8 Likes

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Ade3000yrs(m): 8:41pm On Oct 17, 2016
My words sounds extramundane and prophetic but blv me, the world needs pace setters and people who sees implication of things from a higher planes. I hv a lot of reason why I say Nigeria universities, polytechnic and general school system is the biggest scamming venture in Nigeria that must be totally scrapped or overhaul except National Open University. (NOUN)

If WAEC can cover a lifetime, believe me, JAMB, ASUU and all Nigerian university is a scam and the root of all corruption and maladministration in Nigeria except for NOUN.
The school hv no justified reasons for subjecting student to yearly UTME and Post UTME enrollment. Thank God for People like President Muhammad Buharri who understand the reason and motives of education for all.

If I were a President in Nigeria, believe me, alot of bad people will surely cry just for alot of good people to rejoice. Once again, the Nigerian educational system is a scam and its the core reason for the Nations backwardness, since the exit of the British. The bulk of Our Universities and Educational System officials are nothing but leeches who will always hide their evil notions behind the quotes of "If you think education is expensive please try ignorance". Since I voted in Buharri, am greatly relieved that at least am getting the changes and dividends of democracy I had expected.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Ologuntere(m): 8:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
Dapromzy333:
The Senate last Thursday in Abuja directed the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), to extend the validity of its results to a period of three years.

The question is, if this is implemented what are the possible implications?

One of the obvious implications is that candidates who scored up to the required UTME cut-off mark but were unable to secure admission in that academic year will still be able to use the result in the upcoming year thereby saving such candidates the stress of writing UTME again.

It will also reduce the financial burden on parents/guardians as the senate president, Bukola Saraki rightly pointed out.

However, the most critical is this; it will likely reduce the number of candidates applying for JAMB every year but at the same time increase the number of candidates seeking admission through UTME each year. This is not good considering that our tertiary institutions lack the capacity to accommodate the increasing number of admission seekers.

let's examine this. If the validity of UTME result gets extended, candidates who have obtained the required UTME cut-off mark for their course will need not apply for UTME in the upcoming year; however they will still join the teeming fresh secondary school leavers to jostle for admission in the following year. That will surely increase the number of admission seekers.

Now that seems to be nothing different from what it is at the moment; since some candidates who fail to gain admission last year, also sat for this year's UTME along side fresh secondary school leavers and are currently jostling for admission.

What you've failed to consider is that there are candidates who scored well above 200 in last year’s UTME, who were not admitted. Most of them participated in this year’s UTME but couldn’t score up to 180. This has automatically disqualified them for admission this year.

Now what if the validity of UTME result was implemented last year? That means they are still qualified to apply for admission this year there by increasing the number of admission seekers.

Also if the UTME result validity gets extended, many candidates with good UTME scores that fail to secure admission in a particular year will find it hard to consider programmes like diploma, IJMB, Pre-degree etc. since all they have to do is to wait another year and then re-apply for admission with their previous UTME result. The reason many opt for these other programmes in the first place is due to the stress of preparing and sitting for UTME over again.

So, if you ask me, I think admission quota for tertiary institutions should be increased first before extending the validity of UTME result or else the whole process will be self-defeating at the end of the day.

What's your own take on this and what are the other possible implications you can think of? Share with us.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by elvision1(m): 8:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
Am sure there are many like me who don't know what to think of this, it's aroma is enticing, but we know we might purge after eating it.

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by MedicalSamwise(m): 8:49pm On Oct 17, 2016
H

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kwankwaso To Build Another School In Niger Republic / Expelled Olusegun Kayode Bello Sues Nigerian Law School, Police / WAEC Threatens To Withhold 19 States Results Over Debts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.