Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,631 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? (20779 Views)

Summary Of JAMB Sweet Sixteen from Chapter 1 To Chapter 7 / Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? / Senate Extends JAMB Result Validity To 3 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by eph12(m): 8:50pm On Oct 17, 2016
JDAdeshina:

One state and federal university isn't just enough. There's nothing wrong if each state has at least 4-5 university excluding privates.. How about if Federal government look into that?
Are the ones we have now filled up?
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Youngtrice(m): 8:50pm On Oct 17, 2016
This is a disadvantage on the side of the old students. Jamb gets easier by the year, you may score 240 this year and you can decide not to write the next year hoping to use your past result. Only for those who wrote that year to excel very well by scoring 260 and above. You don't expect your choice of institution to pick you that scored a lower mark nau.. They'll definitely pick those who wrote that year and did excellently well. Its a disadvantage abeg

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Yosiwealth(m): 9:01pm On Oct 17, 2016
It doesn't stop anything. You didn't gain admission dz year even tho u met d cutoff mark. Dat means your cumulative wasnt enof or because of admission size which still means you having to try jamb again d nxt year. You don't expect to use dat result dat wasn't enof d year before again dz year (who says it'll be enof to gain admission now). All dz people will jas be making policies up and down. I need to find my way to dat legislative chamber.

Wat is needex is jas find a way to move students to other schools instead of dem concentrated on seeking in d popular ones.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by JDAdeshina: 9:03pm On Oct 17, 2016
eph12:

Are the ones we have now filled up?

Yes! Every year, millions of applicant keep seeking admission into these universities yet only few will be admitted. If FG is serious about education in this country, by now we won't be complaining about students gaining admission but rather other problems entirely..

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by AZeD1(m): 9:06pm On Oct 17, 2016
The only implication i see is false hope for students.
The result might be valid for 3 years but if you don't get admission with it during the first year, the chances of get admission during the 2nd/3rd year of the validity period unless you are willing to switch schools in which case you should have done that in the first year.

Anyone who has done SAT, GRE or GMAT knows better.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by padi94(m): 9:08pm On Oct 17, 2016
DEAR OP,
Looking at your post,written against the proposed Extension of the Validity period for jamb, i cnt help to be angry at it(seriously??). My question to you, is wetin you smoke 2day? How can you not see that this initiative wud do more good to the masses in this country or you are working with the UTME(if thats the case, i pardon your writeup, maybe this is a way of continuing your agenda of exploiting Nigerian parents)
Bt i knw from the depths of my heart that you dnt work with UTME, and it begs the question again what did you smoke to write something like this.
I dnt expect anybody who is well meaning to oppose such a laudable bill.

For your concerns about increasing the number of candidates i assure you that, that will not be the case. This is because a candidate would continue to apply until s/he gets d admission(citeris paribus) nd you know dat new candidates wud be coming out to join him/her in applying to these schools. I dnt knw if u get d logic. Weda there is a 3year validity period or not students who want to get into d university wud still take UTME year in year out until they get the admission, note that new candidates will be joining every year as well. In light of that, this Bill will only save parents money that would hitherto be used to buy forms every year.
Pls speak gud of the initiative.

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by eitsei(m): 9:10pm On Oct 17, 2016
kingofthejungle:
some federal universities will come with a rule of not accepting old results
that will definitely happen especially schools like oau and UI
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by LordIsaac(m): 9:17pm On Oct 17, 2016
We take things too seriously in this country, yet we invent nothing. No implication other than it's reasonable and saves cost. British IELTS exams is valid for 3years too. So what's the heck about this long over due policy? Let's bury this topic please.

2 Likes

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by eph12(m): 9:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
JDAdeshina:

Yes! Every year, millions of applicant keep seeking admission into these universities yet only few will be admitted. If FG is serious about education in this country, by now we won't be complaining about students gaining admission but rather other problems entirely..
You mean kogi benue bayelsa cross river ekiti etc are all filled up? Interesting
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by JDAdeshina: 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2016
eph12:

You mean kogi benue bayelsa cross river ekiti etc are all filled up? Interesting

If you're talking about the new institutions that was build by GEJ well they ain't. But remember, some of these schools are very expensive I.e Federal university oye ekiti. Why should a federal institution be that expensive? This is another problem, not every parent can afford to pay such enormous fees. Besides, only few are aware of these institutions expecially those residing in the state. FG and the school management should create more awareness to attract these students to fill them up.

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by ibraheemabubaka: 9:53pm On Oct 17, 2016
If you believe you have two years tovstay at home I beg that s too bad go for diploma b Cus age is one of the critarial in labour market ad up two years with four years degree and one year NySC how old are you remember the job advert request for 25 years old and master degree is an added advantage
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by tosyne2much(m): 10:06pm On Oct 17, 2016
All I can say is that this will only make admission tougher and it will be a survival of the fittest because so many schools will start coming up with unbearable policies for the admission seekers. It is a good move though
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by eph12(m): 10:09pm On Oct 17, 2016
JDAdeshina:

If you're talking about the new institutions that was build by GEJ well they ain't. But remember, some of these schools are very expensive I.e Federal university oye ekiti. Why should a federal institution be that expensive? This is another problem, not every parent can afford to pay such enormous fees. Besides, only few are aware of these institutions expecially those residing in the state. FG and the school management should create more awareness to attract these students to filled them up.
I don't know about the fees paid but I just know is that we still have enough spaces in our universities. If it's to create awareness let them do but we do not need to build more
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by JDAdeshina: 10:24pm On Oct 17, 2016
eph12:

I don't know about the fees paid but I just know is that we still have enough spaces in our universities. If it's to create awareness let them do but we do not need to build more
I believe with time they'll be filled up. Tho, i won't mind fg to build more schools to accommodate them all. Well you've good point.

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by favouryemmy: 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2016
Op, you spoiled all your text by saying admission quota should be increased. Are you still confused? Let me enlighten you because I am in the system. How many universities in Nigeria have you visited in the past few years? If you have to a number of them especially, during lecture periods, you will notice that several lecture rooms and overfilled to the extent that some of them look in from outside to attend lectures. Have you also been to some of the laboratories? Apart from too many students in the laboratory, another problem is the number of equipment available for practicals.
Summary is that most Nigerian universities lack adequate infrastructure to cater for the current number of students. This is in terms of structures, equipments, etc and you're suggesting increasing the already overbloated number? Very wrong! It will make matters worse than it already is. Infact, it's terrible already.

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Adefroshz: 11:10pm On Oct 17, 2016
To my own view students consider tuition fees coz some fed uni.tuition fees are high y some r not and still consider academic callender of d institution coz students don't like spending more than d yr dey were expected 2 spend in sch

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by DonOrpzy: 11:58pm On Oct 17, 2016
Good Initiative but wrong timing! What we need is a total overhaul of our education system. Why must everybody think University admission is the only sure way to success. Why can't we make our other degree awarding institutions better and attractive. If you were not given admission in a university...you can proceed to these other degree awarding institutions that same year using the same jamb result instead of waiting another 365 days for university admission list which you aint even sure your name will appear on it. What the senate did...they've only succeeded in making you use ur jamb result for free for additional 2 years. But it still doesn't guarantee admission and quality education.

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by duduade: 5:38am On Oct 18, 2016
Dapromzy333:

True!!

Nobody wants to go to polytechnic and colleges of education... Nobody's fault actually
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by charlisco(m): 5:55am On Oct 18, 2016
there is nothing good in it.
let say i score 230 and i put in for uniben, and uniben did nt give me admission.
i definitely know that the up coming year cutoff mark will be high. and again i cannot do a change of course form, since jamb will not enable it once that year has past. as it is only the current year will be showing, or the worst, jamb will not even sell change of course form for even that year. so there is nothing their to celebrate.

the little positive effect one will have is that it will save cost, if the candidate know that he/she will nt be able to perform well for the forthcoming exam, he/she will just relax.

also, it will giv candidate that has money more opportunity, as they will buy the new form, and apply for another school, while still using the last year jamb to seek for admission, except jamb put in method to stop that, no double entry, for a particular year, it is either you are using the previous year, or you are using this year, so the student is left to take the risk

more point to note is that, even the second choice we talk about, school don't offer student admission that put them in second choice, let alone those candidate that put them last year and want to used the result to gain admission for the current year most schools will frown at it.

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by sammychimex(m): 6:31am On Oct 18, 2016
Mopolchi:
Implication is that you will save cost of buying forms yearly.

Just keep deceiving yourself. U think this nonsense will actually hold. How does extending jamb validity increase ur chances of securing. Believe me no university including the federal ones will do that.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Mbmar: 6:46am On Oct 18, 2016
Who You Know Go Chop Ur Space, My Space And Theirs. I Think This Dullacy Is Bad For A Country Like 9ja.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by oluemmakay(m): 6:58am On Oct 18, 2016
Viewing it from the stand point of an academician, I think it's not the best decision that can promote quality education.
The purpose of Jamb as popularly believed is not limited to gaining entrance into the tertiary institution. It is also meant to prepare the students academically for their study. It function to keep the students mentally alert.
As a lecturer, the quality of student performance this days is nothing to write home about. I just finished marking my students' exam scripts with much disappointment.
I begin to imagine a situation whereby the students just pick up their last year result to apply for admission and were admitted after screening. The outcome is going be a disaster because of the study gap.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by Adeolu4(m): 7:46am On Oct 18, 2016
I av a guy dat got above 240 wen we did d jamb together in sku but funny enough wen he did it again he got 18,in short he didn't qualify dis year again
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by dinggle: 8:29am On Oct 18, 2016
This is good news!...let the best student be taken.......period!
New secondary school leavers now know the stakes are high, as a matter of fact the stakes were already high, all they need to do is to ignore social network and read harder to increase their chances!
What the govt did in extending Jamb validity was a common sense decision. Most students are self sponsored unless you are rich and supported the new system is a win win. The idea is to weed out corruption and revamp, Jamb has been making profit from the misery of the Nigerian student since inception. With scratch cards and yearly validity.

1 Like

Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by SirDavico(m): 8:31am On Oct 18, 2016
eph12:
Every state has a federal and state university why are applicants still focused on the popular universities? This should be looked into

To each one, his/ her state of Origin? Is that what u're implying? If yes.... That'll only promote ethnicity and statism at the detriment of federalism....
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by INFOTECH2: 8:58am On Oct 18, 2016
prince985:
Haaaa..such a relief..i dont need to rush again.i can naw rest for like 2 years

Rest doing what? Don't rest at the beginning of the race.
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by eph12(m): 8:58am On Oct 18, 2016
SirDavico:

To each one, his/ her state of Origin? Is that what u're implying? If yes.... That'll only promote ethnicity and statism at the detriment of federalism....
Federal universities encourage catchment area. How does this promote whatever?
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by jayyungg(m): 1:26pm On Oct 18, 2016
More comments please!!
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by SirDavico(m): 1:47pm On Oct 18, 2016
eph12:

Federal universities encourage catchment area. How does this promote whatever?

You're right. But non-catchment area candidates are also given a good chance by the merit criterion
Re: Extension Of JAMB Result Validity: What Are The Possible Implications? by bhankymyk(m): 3:44pm On Oct 18, 2016
eph12:
Every state has a federal and state university why are applicants still focused on the popular universities? This should be looked into
applicants con turn Nigeria to only 4 tertiary institutions unilag, ui, unilorin oau

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun State University 2012/2013 Pre-degree Supplementary form now on sale! / Kwankwaso To Build Another School In Niger Republic / Expelled Olusegun Kayode Bello Sues Nigerian Law School, Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.