Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Red Night (true Life Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Red Night (true Life Story) (28604 Views)

My YAHOO-YAHOO $$ Story (true Life Story) / Showers Of Mercy - True Life Story / May, 2004 (a True Life Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2016
Hey guys.. I'll be dropping a true life story here... will start updating when a few people are gathered to set the ball rolling
I am your humble host

Moh!

1 Like

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by freesinzu(m): 4:53pm On Oct 18, 2016
Oya
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by daremiarchs(m): 5:45pm On Oct 18, 2016
carry go
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 18, 2016
Copyright ©2016 Mohbaby

All Rights Reserved including the right of reproduction in
whole or in part in any form. The text of this publication
or any part thereof may not be reproduced or
transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or
mechanical, including photocopying, recording, storage in
an information retrieval system, or otherwise, without the
written permission of the author.

Moh.

I slapped my left palm on my forehead as my phone gently slipped off my other palm. My mouth fell open in shock. I felt my chest constricting with immense pain that left me almost gasping for air.

I widened my eyes as the thought of what my sister had just told me on phone rushed to me like a cold bucket of water. I pulled up my black V- neck flay gown and used the rim to dab away the beads of sweat on my forehead.

“Gosh!, This isn’t happening!” I said dryly to myself. It always tore at my insides whenever my younger sister, Mide called my number either from a call center or if luck managed to smile on her, called using that stupid Igbo woman’s number secretly.
“It hurts so much!” I scoffed and bit my lips while trying to hold in my sobs but the salty substance mocked me as it ended up silently running down my face, revealing the sincerity of my feelings.

I went to the water dispenser and filled myself a cup of water to calm down my nerves. I had had enough of sobbing like I was in a mantra.

“Why would dad beat Ademide with hanger and belt because of that old Yam eater and witch from Cross-river he calls a wife? Why must it be today when Middy is meant to be celebrating her birthday joyfully?” I wheezed painfully, leaning back on the cream painted wall which was stained at some areas with brown, the shade the colour of powder, dirty fingers and oily hair. I closed my eyes as I wallowed in what Mide had said to me. The latter had explained things to me and I really felt the pain in her voice. Mide had explained how Mrs Chinyere(Who I and my naughty sister called ‘Chinwere’) had instructed her to wash the dirty dishes and clothes of herself and her lazy daughters outside under the rain and her children had also wrapped a dead rat and a dead lizard inside a Colourful nylon bag for her as birthday presents and placed it on her bed.

I widened my eyes, almost choking on air when my little Middy explained her ordeal to me. I felt angry waves emanating from my pores. I just hope I would be able to borrow money for my transport down to Lagos by weekend.

‘If only thunder could strike those assholes’ I muttered under my breathe. The fury in my eyes was clearer than water.
Mide had sounded terribly hurt and down when she spoke with me minutes ago. Its so sad death had to claim mum away from us during an accident on her way back to Lagos from Abuja. We had been faced with hardship and torture ever since my dad remarried barely six months after my mom’s death.

I plopped on the medium sized bed and shifted the books on it, staring at the rotating ceiling and cobwebs which had carefully positioned itself at the edge of the walls.

Life was cruel.[Not only cruel but harder than the Sunday-Sunday crossword puzzle in PUNCH newspaper]. How could death take my mother away from me when I was only eighteen years old.I needed her more than ever that period I was slowly growing from a teenager into a woman, or perhaps, a lady. Tears pricked my eyes again as memories of my late mother kept flashing through my shattered mind.
I could remember helping my mother pack her stuffs into a small travelling bag on Saturday. She had hugged me and little Mide, promising us she would be back soon as she was going for a business trip.

Don’t get it twisted, its not like she was a woman who cared about her business than her children. No, she was nothing like that. She was kind, devoted, caring and very innocent. She was slim and petite in nature. She would definitely have passed for a model if she were to be alive. She was fourty one when she died. She had finished her business deal in Abuja and had boarded a vehicle back to Lagos when the fatal accident occurred and all its occupants were burnt beyond recognition.

An hour before her number became unreachable, we spoke and she promised she would help Mide get some popcorn from Foodco restaurant which was close to our house. At that time, she said she was already in a vehicle and had left Abuja. I kissed her through the phone and told her not to branch anywhere but to come home straight after our Driver, Uncle Sheriff picked her up from the airport. The popcorn or whatever she wanted to get for the baby of the house could wait till the next day but as for me, I just told her I wanted to see her back home in few hours.

My phone buzzed on the edge of the bed it had slipped on, drifting me back from wherever my mind went to. I checked it with the hope of it being an alert from somewhere in the World but was disappointed when it was a message that came in from ‘UIL BETTER BY FAR LAW STUDENTS’.

I hissed as I shut my eyes and I allowed fat tears roll down my cheeks. I brought my pillow closer to my face. I would definitely be going home by weekend. Mide needed me and I was even running out of food stuffs. I already knew that woman wouldn’t give me foodstuffs so I would have them the usual way. There was nothing bad stealing from that igbo gold digger anyway. Was I even stealing? The foodstuffs were bought with my father’s money! I badly needed an alert to pop in. I was the only one she’d got afterall. I was very sure Adaora and Amanda would have showed her hell apart from the hell their mother would have showed Mide. Adaora was about the same age as Mide while Amanda was two years older than the two. Mrs Chinwere, (actually Chinyere) as I often call her(I can never in my life refer to that gold digger as Mrs Adesua. Never!) was a widow before she met my dad somewhere and somehow, got married to him. If my mom had known how heartless her so called husband was, she wouldn’t have lived all her life for him the way she did.

My mother practically worshipped and submitted herself to my dad. Even though she knew he wasn’t faithful, she still respected him. How do you explain the case of a man getting married to another woman just six months after his wife’s awful death. Was she expecting her death already?

‘ Men are so callous and wicked. Bleep them!’ I breathed angrily. I already knew it would be difficult for a man to win my love or for me to get married. I already told my sister my intentions of never to get married. All I just wanted was to be called to bar, be rich, take care of my aunt( Sis Felicia) and of course my Sister, Ademide Adesua.

‘Yes! I wont ever forget to sue my dad and his so called wife when am finally big’ I smiled at that thought. I was definitely gonna rebel. They should expect that anyway.

I walked to the basin and splashed some water to my face. I ended up gasping for breath like a fish just out of water due to the effect of the water splash on my nose. I was an asthmatic patient.

‘I am not going to brood anymore’ I said to myself as I wiped away imaginary tear drops.

I managed to pick up a law textbook and tried reading but as fate would have it, None got into my head. I closed the book and starenmd at the ceiling again. This time, the fan was no more rotating as PHCN had done what they knew how to do best in challenge area of Ilorin where I stayed and schooled as a Student. I would have preferred staying in Tanke which was closer to the school but it had taken much pleas and begging from myself and my aunt, Sister Felicia to plead with dad to pay for my hostel. I had gotten a comfortable space in Tanke Bubu but I lost it cause of my inability to pay on time. Someone probably had the cash and quickly paid for it thereby making me lose the accommodation.

I worked as a make-up artist for a modeling agency. I also worked as an usher for events in Ilorin and Malete which was also in Kwara whenever I got called on.
‘ If not for that witch that stopped my dad from sending me enough monthly allowances and…’

“Moh! Stop brooding!” I mentally chastised myself and drifted my mind from that. I made a mental note to branch at sister Felicia’s house in Ibadan to see if she could raise me a bit financially before going to Lagos. It just dropped on my mind I had some outstanding faculty fees to pay and some borrowed money to refund.

“Ah! Nepa” I sighed and thanked God, oh sorry, my stars for making PHCN bring light just at the nick of time. I was already considering ironing my dress for Mr. Onifade’s LAW501 early lecture tomorrow morning

I was an atheist and had zero belief in God and his existence. I didn’t believe any god existed! Not after all the crazy dramas happening to me and poor Mide. There possibly be any god up there looking at me suffering. I was an asthmatic patient, I had lost my mom, I didn’t really have a place to call a home, I have no place in my Father’s heart, I wasn’t a beauty to behold. I could give enough reasons there wasn’t any god anywhere. Besides, the Philosophy courses I offered in 100l and 400l was enough to buttress my points that there wasn’t any god anywhere.

I stood up and walked to my wardrobe. I rummaged through the small drawers for something to wear the next day(It wasnt like I had any option anyway, Law students were always in Black and white). I settled for a White chiffon top and a black straight skirt. I placed the shirt on my body and faced the mirror. It looked cool.

I made a mental note to go to Ilorin local market and buy some ‘bend down and select’ white shirts at cheaper prices. I was running out of shirts already, and I really wasn’t called by the agencies I worked for to come render my services.

I made an eyeroll and stared at myself in the mirror as well as the soft shadow of mine that formed on the wall which I could see through the mirror. My facial expression seemed serene; I wasn’t smiling but I wasn’t sad. I knew I had to remain strong for my late mom and Ademide.

I lightly traced my cheekbones as I continued staring at my love shaped face in the mirror. My almond eyes with thick eye lashes and specks of light brown around my pupil was the only thing I liked about myself. My nose was too short that I was often made jest of in classes. A coursemate once asked me how I managed breathing conveniently.

Coming down to my lips, I had full lips. When I say full, I mean full and not even full and pink but full and dark! If it had looked like Angelina Jolie, I would have had to believe there was a god that made me so beautiful.I couldn’t even attract the most ugly guy in the school. I wasn’t interested in dating any guy anyway. So I let that thought slip off my mind. But, even my looks and stature didn’t even encourage me to believe there was one god somewhere.

My ears were…. Gosh don’t let’s talk about it, that’s a story on its own. My lips fell open in disgust as I stared down at my shape. Girls can never get envious of my curves or anything about me. Except my eyes and face shape which was only fair.

I felt a slight pang inside my belly, no soothsayer needed to tell me I had to eat. I hadn’t even had lunch and it was 8:47pm. My stomach rumbled on as I glared at my window, the purple old curtains which hung on it dancing to and fro as breeze flew it to its own rhythm. It was about to rain. And in Challenge when that happened, it only spelt one thing.

‘Light out’…..I had barely finished saying when darkness enveloped me.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Lolly02(f): 10:25am On Oct 19, 2016
nice one....continue smiley
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 19, 2016

It was Friday and that meant I would finish my lectures early. My lecturers, who were mostly Muslims wouldn’t joke with their Jumat or whatever they devoted some hours on Friday to. It sounded so crazy to me because I knew they were wasting their time praying to the so called Allah who only existed in their minds and not in reality.

As for me, I knew and was very sure there wasn’t any Jesus Christians scream about neither was any God somewhere or Allah. Everything just existed simply because of Nature people failed to understand and never would.

I scrambled down the assignment Barr. Bori hurriedly gave to us before he left the class. It wasn’t really an assignment anyway; it was a case he wanted to treat.

Not just any case but a Murder case!

I was already concluding we wouldn’t visit the Mute court that semester when this weird Barrister Bori came up with this silly murder case.

Yeah and have I mentioned the full meaning of his name? Well, it might interest you to know the full meaning of Barr. Bori was ‘BORIOGUNESULAYEMI’

‘Mehn! Who bears that in this century?’ I would always ask anytime he wrote down his name for students who always got the spellings wrong. And another weird thing was that he wouldn’t want any student misspell his ridiculous name.

‘Seriously?’

I heaved a sigh of blessed relief and started walking to the park. I needed to go to my hostel and pack some few clothes I would be taking to Lagos for the weekend. I had called Mummy Janet, a middle aged woman who operated a business call center a stone throw away from our house to please tell Middy for me I would be coming home. I bet the latter would grin like anything at her school today. It really would be goodness for her.

Poor Middy.

I branched at the university complex, collected the passport photographs I had snapped on Wednesday and quickly bought Pringles and two bottles of chilled sobo for myself and my sister. Who buys that home for a sister? But that was what I could afford.

I hastened my steps to the park before it was crowded and quickly got into one of the shuttles heading to MFM. It would be easier to get a bike going to Challenge that way.
In no time, i alighted and waited for few minutes before getting a bike going to challenge at #80 naira. The bike riders I had seen charged me at ridiculous prices. The others who still managed to listen to my complaints about the price turned me down and said they were going to GRA(An area in Ilorin only the rich students of ‘Alhajis’ and Rich icons stayed).

The bike rider stopped in front of my hostel and I quickly got down from his bike. I didn’t know how I had even survived being there for ten minutes. The old looking sweater and head warmer he was wearing smelt terrible. Like they hadn’t been washed for years. I quickly paid him off and went into my hostel, greeting hostel mates I met on my way.

I retrieved my spare key under the foot mat and unlocked the padlock. I walked inside the room and landed on the bed. I was damn tired!

I quickly went to the kitchen I shared with some students in my wing and cooked noodles. I needed to take something with the sobo I had bought and I was sure noodles would do.
I came back to my room, packed about three tops, a denim trouser and am skirt into a small travel bag. I also packed some necessary stuffs. My eyes went to the big wall clock hung on the wall and I knew if I wasn’t going to die in the heavy traffic in Ogbomosho not to talk of Lagos, I needed to leave with immediate effect. I cancelled the thought of visiting sister Felicia in Ibadan since it was getting late. I hastily ate my noodles and packed my hair up to make a messy bun. I carried the bag I had arranged my stuffs in outside. I bid my hostel mates goodbye and locked the door.

‘Lagos, Here I come’ I muttered silently under my breath.

*It was a hectic journey from Ilorin to Lagos. I stepped down from the cab I boarded at the garage. After getting my stuffs down from the trunk of the car, I paid the driver the agreed pay. It was already past nine and it was dangerous standing alone in the middle of the road. I was the only one that alighted at Bergar, others were going to drop somewhere known to them. I was lucky enough to find a cab going to Ogba, where I stayed. Even though the amount he charged me was high, I knew I just had to pay him. It was Lagos and I didn’t expect anything less from Lagos psycho cab drivers.

I was tapped on the shoulder gently, it was the cab driver. He gave me a stern look and I needed no one to tell me I had gotten where I was going and so I reached for my purse and gave him a thousand naira note. I wasn’t expecting any change but was surprised when I heard ‘Sha take it’ A two hundred naira note was smiling brightly at me. I smiled and thanked him. I crossed to the other side of the road and walked to our estate. It really wasn’t far from where I alighted.

I knocked on the gate. It took like forever for someone to open the gate. That someone who happened to be Amanda. She looked and me scornfully and clicked her tongue.

“Spoilt brat, dint they teach you how to greet in the igbo land you came from?” I shot at her and brushed past her. I bet what I said hit her so bad that she hurriedly left the gate without locking it and scurried inside. I heaved a sigh and went inside.

Words cant express how happy Ademide was when she saw me. She jumped into my arms and stayed there like she was ever destined to be there. She helped me carry my stuffs to her room happily.

“So where is dad and Chinwere?” I asked, stretching my arms. I yawned and looked around her room. it was neat except for some papers littered around her bed. The room was small but could contain two people. A standing far was beside the bed and it had a reading table and stool beside it. It was painted in blue. It looked very simple, that room was actually a store we kept our stuffs until mom died and dad remarried. He asked us to clean the room and move our stuffs there as his new wife’s daughters would be staying in the room we vacated.

‘I miss my room so much’ I said silently. I missed the comfort of the Air conditioner on my skin, the luxurious designs, the in built toilet and bathroom and the ever soft queen sized bed.
“Mofolu!” Middy yelled! She managed to snap me out of my thoughts.

“I have told you not to call me that young lady, Call me Moh!” I chimed back at her. Middy smiled and winked at me. She knew I loved to be called Moh instead of Mofolusho which sounded more like a whole sentence. She only called me Mofolu anytime she wanted to get on my nerves or make me charge at her.

‘And who is that stupid person who dared to insult my children and I?’ I could hear Madam Chinyere screaming aloud even from the passage. It was evident she was coming to our room. I knew I was in for it. She was equally in for the tongue-lashing though, If she wanted it triple, I was ready to give it to her in different styles.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Lolly02(f): 12:30pm On Oct 20, 2016
nice one dear.....
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 21, 2016

It was Saturday morning, I rolled to the other side of the bed only to touch Middy. The latter was snoring real bad. I huffed and stood up. I sighted A white Bible beside Mide and hissed. Even a snake would have thought I was a brother to it. I picked the Bible angrily and flung it away. it landed on the floor and ended turning upside down. I bothered less.

I wasn't frustrated, So don't think I was because of the way Madam Chinyere slapped and tore my beautiful designer top I had saved money up for and managed to buy.

I guess you don't want to know the justice I did to her and her daughters that tried stopping me from revenging.

Dad got home late so I haven't heard it from him yet.

I adjusted the curtain slowly in order to make early morning sunlight stream into the room. I shoved away the particles of light that made its way in with the sun rays.
I noticed I couldn't find my brush where it had been carefully kept. I could remember using it to clean up before sleeping last night.

I made a quick mental note to come back and look for it critically.

"Morning dad" I said curtly as I hurriedly brushed past him to avoid early word dash. He scrutinized me and shook his head.
he eyed me and finally cleared his throat to speak. I smirked and laughed silently. I considered his actions girly and feminine. I mean, what kind of man eyes? It looked so girly that I just couldn't help but to make a silent laughter.

"So all you've learnt in school only to come home and display is to fight right? Look here young lady, I won't allow that in my own house and if care is not taken, I repeat if care is not taken, I will never allow you step a foot into my house!" He barked, his voice had risen a few octaves when he saw me rolling my eyes.
The truth is, I was disgusted at him. He didn't even hear the side of my story before concluding the fault was mine.

I looked at him well to see if that was really my dad but all I saw was fury. He was just being judgmental and I hated it. Before mom died, He had been caring and approachable but I don't know what demon took over him.

Anyway, It was expected.
I went to the kitchen to check if anything was cooking. It wasn't even like I would eat any food cooked by 'Chinwere' the mad woman and her daughters. Anytime I was back at home, It had become a normal routine for me to cook a different meal for just by sister and I.

I hissed when I saw Amanda in the kitchen mixing a white substance with Cornflakes. I laughed and walked to her.
'I hope that isn't salt you are adding to it. You know how much of a terrible Cook your mother has turned you into.' With that, I turned and started walking to my room.

I stopped when I noticed she wasn't making any attempt to retort. The look on her face was like she knew what she was doing. Nevertheless, I was still feeling myself I had given her a wonderful shot that morning. It was a 2-1 and I was proud of myself.

I returned back to my room and met Ademide praying. I was reddened with anger. Which god did she think she was praying to?
I noticed my light green Angola toothbrush was back on the table where I had left it. I picked it and took a toothpaste also. I pressed some gel on my brush and went to the bathroom to brush. In no time I was done brushing. I went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for myself and Middy. I noticed the small store where our foodstuffs were was locked.

'When did this igbo yam eaters start locking this store again?' I wondered and started walking out of the kitchen when a giggling Amanda approached me, shaking a key in the air.

'Looking for this?' She asked amidst laughter, proudly showing her brown teeth like they were sparkling whites.

'Well, Before you start wondering too much on why you had troubles locating your toothbrush this morning, that's even if you noticed it was missing, I used it to help our dog have clean teeth'

'What!'
I was stunned because I had hardly registered what Amanda had said when I heard a loud scream from the kitchen's door
Amanda turned back to have a look at who it was.

We both faced a shocked and surprised Mide!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Lolly02(f): 8:17am On Oct 26, 2016
am with you dear smiley
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 27, 2016
thanks lolly02 I decided to pause to see those following the story. will update later today just for you dear

1 Like

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by oazeez1991(m): 8:50am On Oct 27, 2016
Hey! Nice one sis. I'm also following d story. Suspense mood activated. Can't wait 2 av d next episode.
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by SuperSurupe(m): 9:52am On Oct 27, 2016
Nice story but you folded my hands were u said you don't believe dt there is a God up there...
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by viktohmarkz(m): 3:32pm On Oct 27, 2016
nice one....keep it up
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 28, 2016
It was Sunday. I woke up to a severe disabling headache in one part of my head. It was as if a church was holding a revival in my head. I opened one side of my eye and saw Mide wink at me. I managed to stand up from the bed and rinsed my face.

“Where are you going?” I asked once I returned back to the room.

“Where does it look like I’m going?” Mide replied back and continued fastening her shoe lace.

“You don’t answer a question with a question little brat.” I stood up and spanked her at her bum when I knew she wasn’t looking.

“Moh! You know you are leaving today and you want us to fight abi? Its better you go back to that your Hausa and Muslim city in peace o” She said as a mischievous smile grew on her delectable lips.

“Where are you going?” I repeated the same question I had been asking for a while.

“Let me spell it out to you. Its even obvious sef. I.am.going.to.church!” She said in a clipped tone of voice. I scrutinized her well as she continued dressing.

She was dressed in a pink gown which ended gracefully on her knee. She was all set to carry the nude bag I bought for her. She had a good taste in fabrics. Her frame was simple yet elegant. She could easily pass for a teen model.

“Keep wasting your time attending church instead of you to sit down early in the morning and read your books” I wrinkled in distaste and hissed.

“There is no god! Take it or leave it” I said in a pained tone.
She stopped what she was doing and looked at me as if she didn’t know I never believed in the existence of god.

I noticed she went pale and her lips suddenly went dry as if she literally stopped breathing. A long while passed between us before she got herself together and gave me her response.
“Mofolusho. I sincerely hope that one day, God will show Himself to you in a mighty way.” She smiled and sprayed her perfume which filled the room with a fruity fragrance.
I hissed and shot her a deadly stare. She just smiled and told me to wait for her to come back before travelling back to Ilorin. Then she left.

I was pissed. Another reason I hated my full name ‘Mofoluwawasho’ was because of the meaning. It meant I was given to God to protect me.

What the hell!

‘There is no god anywhere!’ I shouted loud enough for the remaining occupants of the house to hear. I guessed those evil creatures were preparing to go to church too. I became more pissed as what Amanda did to me the previous day flashed through my mind. I made up my mind to revenge and have it be a tie. No one losing, No one winning. But if there eventually would be a winner, it wouldn’t be Amanda.

I sank into the bed and stretched my hand to pick a cabin biscuit from my bag on the floor. I had been saving the absolute faves for a trying day and that Sunday definitely qualified.

By 4:00pm, I was at the junction of our estate with my bags. Mide was right beside me to ensure I saw an Okada rider to take me to the garage before going back to the house. Sometimes, that girl amazed me to a point I would ask myself if I was the Elder one and not her.

“Bike, bike!” I called out immediately I spotted an Okada Rider dropping our neighbour. He looked back and made a signal he was coming.

“Am gonna miss you Moh’ Mide said, almost in tears.
“Gerrarahere jur. What’s with that face hun?” I laughed, making jest of how emotional she suddenly became.

“Am gonna miss you too sis. Don’t hesitate to call me if there’s any problem o, Tell mummy Janet I will settle her when I come back to Lagos in case you don’t have money to pay for the call okay? Now, take this and be a very good girl” I said, almost weeping too as I brought out a thousand naira note from my handbag.

“Where you dey go?” we were interrupted by the Okada rider.
“Abeg carry me go garage” I replied him in pidgin.

I quickly placed a kiss on Middy’s forehead and waved at her while I carefully sat on the Okada seat.

Middy moved closer and hugged me. I saw two fat tears find their ways down her cheeks. I waved at her again before the motorcycle put the engine to life and zoomed off. I looked back and waved again and again till she was no longer in sight.

It was few minutes to 5:00pm when I got to the garage. I was lucky to find a bus going straight to Ilorin almost filled up. I quickly sat down at the second to the last seat at the back after I had placed my bag inside the trunk of the bus. A young lady came and filled the last space for a passenger. An old man complained as he looked around for the driver of the car to tell him we were complete already. It took about a decade for the driver to be eventually found.

It was around 6:30pm when we got to the outskirt of Lagos. I looked around and saw most passengers already sleeping or nodding their heads to and fro like a lizard. I yawned and took out my headphone from the bag. I played a hip hop song and placed my head on my lap.

Only to wake up few hours later in a thick dark forest.

*To be continued*

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Missmossy(f): 10:18am On Oct 28, 2016
Aww see suffering, beautiful plot. More wisdom to you Mohbaby.
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by BABZIENE(m): 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2016
It took like forever before you dropped this ...God knows when you gonna drop the next episode..... Anyways am waiting patiently
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by nikz(f): 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2016
This is interesting. Kip it coming
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 28, 2016
BABZIENE:
It took like forever before you dropped this ...God knows when you gonna drop the next episode..... Anyways am waiting patiently

sorry sir, I paused when I thought no one was following
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by yerem: 4:34pm On Oct 28, 2016
May be God went to show him self for u, becos u did believe in God.
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by BOLTZMANN1(m): 5:18pm On Oct 28, 2016
We need more of it please!!!
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by BABZIENE(m): 6:13pm On Oct 28, 2016
Now you know that some of us are following with keen interest so roll them out

sorry sir, I paused when I thought no one was following [/quote]
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by OlufemiWhit(m): 8:21pm On Oct 28, 2016
Now following.....Do continue
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 28, 2016
5{continuation}

I coughed and looked around. Everywhere was covered with Smoke. I coughed again and looked outside the window. I saw the bush I had seen when I woke up. Deafening noise reverberated through my skull. Was that headache again?
I calmed myself down and heard coughs around me. That was when I knew I was still in the bus. Then, my senses were coming back and I felt sweat dripping down my legs.

Someone in the bus switched on a torch. And then I got calmer as my eyes fluttered open to take in the surroundings critically.

There was actually a hold up along the express way and the driver had no option but to ply the bushy path so we could at least make it to Ogbomosho that night if Ilorin was impossible.
So I heard the lady beside me explain to someone on phone.

“You look worried” I heard a gentle masculine voice say beside me. I turned my head to look at the soft cool voice I heard but was disappointed when I couldn’t see the face due to the darkness as the person that switched on the torch had turned it off.

‘Oh, me?” I asked. Well, I didn’t know if he was talking to me or some other. It was only the voice I heard after all.
“Yes, you” He replied again.

By this time, we had gotten back to the express road and were moving as slow as a snail.

“Oh.” I said as I touched my laps to look for my phone. I could remember listening to music with it before I drifted off to sleep.
‘Looking for this?’ He raised my phone up.

‘why do you have my phone?” I feigned annoyance. I was angry angry though, why would a total stranger have my phone.

‘I’m sorry, it fell from your lap when the bus entered a deep ditch and you were fast asleep so I picked it up for you’He explained slowly. I knew my statement grated on his nerves but he pretended like he was a gentleman from France.
I snarled and snatched my phone from him.

I wouldn’t deny the fact that he smelt evocative and more masculine than anything a fancy perfume company could produce. I had to give him credit for that.

‘Are you a Unilorite? A law student?’ My heart did some flops inside my chest immediately I processed the questions in my medulla oblongata or what do those microbiology students call it?
‘Why would you want to know? I hope you haven’t gone through my phone’ I gape opened my mouth after letting my last statement drop from my lips

He gave a deep booming laughter. I sensed he rolled his eyes before looking away. I had a feeling there was a reason behind that laughter.

He didn’t say anything and I also kept my cool. I checked the time on my phone and noticed it was pretty late.

‘Why am I always unlucky during journeys’ I muttered to myself and bit my lips in anger? When I was travelling to Lagos, I arrived late into the night and the same applied to my journey back to Ilorin.

My stomach made a funny sound and I bet it could testify I was very hungry. I heard him laughed faintly and sniffed.
“Would you like to have a bottle of coke and gala?” he asked, his voice holding a tint of worry.

‘Thanks but no thanks!” I said sharply, gritting my teeth.
‘Moh, be nice!’ that was me talking to myself. I knew I was savage when it came to guys or men or both.

“Really?” He made a quotation sign in the air using his fingers and I knew he was being sarcastic because he heard the sound my stomach made but my stupid proud self wouldn’t just accept what he was offering me on a platter of gold.
“Whatever floats your boat” he said coldly.

I closed my eyes and winced in pain. Why would he give up so easily? Why wouldn’t he press further?

‘Why did I even refuse him?’ I wondered, my face marred by a scowl as I looked at the bottle in his hands again and felt like downing the content in a gulp. I was madly hungry and lost the chance of having a cool dinner in the bus due to pride and ‘i-don’t-wanna-look-cheap’ style girls are fond of.

My mouth watered when I saw him sip the cold coke slowly. He struggled to open the sealed wrapper of the gala and I cursed him within me. He did that on purpose to get me salivated. Or how on earth could a ‘grown up guy’ struggle before he could open a wrapper of gala.

I asked a lady where we were and I was surprised when she said “Eiyenkorin, Kwara state”

‘Wow. Almost home’ I said in a funny sing-song tone and she laughed. The gala guy joined with his deep throaty laughter. I rolled my eyes and bit my lower lip.

“What’s making this one laugh?” I thought, almost aloud.

I fell to my bed and closed my eyes. It was 11:03pm. I yawned and staggered to the fan’s switch to put it on. I was happy there was light. That was a good welcome home surprise. I didn’t know how I even managed to get to my own room and not the wrong room. I could remember I slept off when I was told we were in Eiyenkorin.

I was woken up by the driver and I picked my bag and started walking. I practically walked to my hostel from where I was dropped. But somehow, I knew it was close to my hostel and it was rare for a commercial transport bus to drop its passengers at challenge.

‘Maybe luck smiled on a young barrister’

I was also surprised I got to my hostel safely without being hit by any car or an okada even though I knew I was sleep-walking.

I rinsed my face and thought of what to eat. I knew I took some foodstuffs from the kitchen at home and packed them into a big nylon bag I put inside the bag at the trunk of the bus.

I switched on the light and looked around. My second bag was nowhere to be found! I forgot to pick it because I was unconscious. I fell on my bed and started crying. I thought of what I would eat for the next couple of weeks. Or was it karma at work? I stole from Madam Chinwere and someone stole from me.

‘No one stole from you Moh! You forgot the bag’ I yelled and felt another fresh waves of tears pooling under my plump lips.
My phone vibrated from my bag. I had a message.
I picked it up to read. I prayed it wasn’t from the girl that borrowed me money I used to travel home. I was broke and had no money at that moment to refund.

I was shocked when I opened my Whatsapp and saw five messages from an unknown contact. I tapped the contact and the messages opened:

“Hey snub! I hope you aint wandering on the streets of Ilorin. I hope you are safe wherever you are. I asked the driver to driver to drop you someone near to where you are probably staying since you are a unilorite and obviously wouldn’t stay from from campus”

“You have to thank me for that”

“Secondly, I think I have your bag with me, I got your number from your unilorin tab you put inside the bag. Girl am sorry but you fit forget your destiny o”

“Anyway, I’ll take two tins of rice from your rice and cook. I dey H badly”

“And lastly, nice panties and bras you’ve got. I hope you have enough undies that would last you for the main time”

My phone fell from my hands. I was dumbfounded.

I know you know who that was

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 28, 2016
thanks guys
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 28, 2016
dis story is super interesting.nice write up 4rm u.bt hope u nw knw dere is sum1 called GOD.
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by abefe99: 10:46am On Oct 29, 2016
interesting more update plsss

1 Like

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 31, 2016
The wind picked up and a few locks of hair got in my face. Annoyed, I swept them away as I sighed.

I took a cab from Tanke bubu to G.R.A, Taiwo road. Inside the cab was a young lady about the same age with me. She was wearing a black leather dress that looked simply like a second skin. She was also reading a magazine. To the left of the said magazine was an obnoxious ‘hello!’.

I rolled my eyes. I always thought there were more interesting things in life than to read about some celebrities divorce or some music industry gossip. I mean who reads that? Not me though, I loved my gossip free life.

I was going to G.R.A because I had a client’s face to make up so I quickly signed all needed to be signed at school before leaving. I ‘stabbed’ a class though. {I think students should know what stabbing means, if you don’t, I shake my head for you o. It means to skip lectures.}

I alighted from the cab and called the woman again to ask for directions. She had seen some of the pictures of faces I made up on Instagram and had called me when she saw she could make do with me.

I was very good at transforming the ugliest of faces to something very pleasant; impressing though.
The call was picked at the fourth ring; I cleared my throat to make my voice sound clear and sonorous. She sounded to be from the rich class so I wouldn’t want to appear or sound anything less than she had expected. Besides, I needed to package myself well so I would be addressed well and also paid well. I badly needed money.

She explained to my again, patiently though. I thought she was going to scream or yell at me because she had explained the address of her residence to my twice. The first via text message and secondly, some hours ago.
I walked to where she had described. I just hoped I got it right. I wouldn’t want to be chased by a crazy dog belonging to one rich person.

I sighed when I got to the gate and looked at what I was wearing again. I was in a purple sleeveless flora fitted gown.
My long black hair was straightened and up to my shoulders. ‘My red Louis-Vuitton’s shoes complemented my whole look. I could remember that was the shoe I struggled to buy for my departmental dinner the previous year and ever since, I had been very cautious to wear it so I wouldn’t waste the fortune spent to purchase it.

I sniffed in my cologne. I agreed I smelt tasty and also had a nice Gucci bag on my left arm. I carried my big make up box on the other hand. I had on a pretty heavy makeup. I was all out to impress her so I would be well paid for all my ‘packaging’

So, I finally finished scrutinizing myself and knocked on the giant gate. While waiting for the gate to be opened, I looked at the beautiful tall building well. It was painted in lemon and cream. The mansion screamed expense. The gate itself was worthy of a hat doff.

The gate rolled back and a black Lexus jeep came out of the building. It was tinted in black so I couldn’t see the driver. I entered the building and looked around for the gatekeeper who had opened the gate to close it back, But there was nobody at the gate. I heard the sound of the gate closing again itself. It was then I got to know it was being controlled and all my weird bewilderments were being seen. I snorted and flushed some shades of red on my cheeks{feeling embarrassed} and walked to the entrance of the house.

Before I could press the bell, the door was already opened by a teenager. Probably sixteen/seventeen years of age. She had big doe honey coloured eyes. Those were staring deeply into my eyes. She was tall and pretty. A gracious smile played on her lips as she opened the door for me. I walked in and gasped at what welcomed me. I felt the bombs creeping in my heart had just finally exploded.

I gazed around the wonderfully decorated living room and took in the cream painted grand walls with the soft brown coloured couch facing the huge plasma television mounted on the wall opposite it. At the edge of the large living room was a big piano and a pink stool placed behind it. I walked further inside and span around to face an elderly man. He offered me a seat and resumed reading his newspapers. I tried to calm my breathing down trying not to sound like I had just ran a marathon when a professional clipped tone of a woman descended down from the stairs.

A woman walked to the living room from and gave a wonderful smile; she had a narrow gap tooth and one sided dimple which complemented her look. She navigated her way to where I was seating and greeted me. I put on a formal but calm façade even though I knew she sensed my nervousness.

“The makeup artist right?”She asked, flashing me a wide smile. ‘Was this woman innocently smiling or purposely making me jealous of her dimple?’ I wondered as I brightened up my face.
I nodded and returned her smile.

In no time, I started my work. I highlighted and contoured some parts of her face which looked hollow and dark. I gave her a simple Smokey eyes and bold red lips. I tied her headgear and wore her beads for her. She asked me to tie her wrapper again and I did. I sprayed her face with Marykay setting spray and told her I was done. She looked at the nearest mirror and smiled. She loved what she was seeing I presumed.
“Thank you dear, this is very nice, can you make my daughter up too?” She asked, beaming with smiles.

It was going to take time though but hey! That was extra money.

“No problem ma” I managed to speak up after seconds of contemplation.

“And please could you wait for the Birthday party for my son, Krishi?”

“Ehn? Krishi? Who bears that” I giggled inside me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by damsity(f): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2016
Wow! nice story. keep d fire burning.
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by Joyce21(f): 10:45pm On Oct 31, 2016
i know krishi! d guy dat took mohs food. nice piece u have hia, n am folloin till d very end.
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by justifiedcoyy(m): 12:11am On Nov 01, 2016
hmmmm.
this is what I've been missing on Nairaland.
nice story..
me like that amanda girl sha.. lol
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by justifiedcoyy(m): 12:12am On Nov 01, 2016
Joyce21:
i know krishi! d guy dat took mohs food. nice piece u have hia, n am folloin till d very end.
10/10
Re: Red Night (true Life Story) by babz007(m): 1:11am On Nov 01, 2016
mofolu i am loving your story oya continue
i know sey u don dey vex already but i prefer your full na than that moh that sounds like monkey

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List / A New Year Logical Question! Logical Answers Pls! / Blemished Love By Loudest Thoughts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.